Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the flyovers, building them (LR) is not the problem. Delivering them in finished condition is. Is it just that the fit and finish is so bad coming off the line that each car has to be individually adjusted and tweaked, for which they only have a few guys working on them so they can focus their manpower on Y's and 3's? Hard to tell but the deliveries are crazy slow and the X's are piling up.
Yep I speculated this as the real reason for delays a few hundred pages back. Why build a bunch of model X that have fit and finish issues that require a lot of manual labor to fix afterward versus building model S (even for inventory) that come off the line in pretty good shape? I think this is why there are some inventory model S right now too.

RPM promises aftermarket steering WHEEL:

I think the RPM guy likes Carbon Fiber 🤣🤣🤣 He only said it about 3,000 times 🤣

Yep I speculated this as the real reason for delays a few hundred pages back. Why build a bunch of model X that have fit and finish issues that require a lot of manual labor to fix afterward versus building model S (even for inventory) that come off the line in pretty good shape? I think this is why there are some inventory model S right now too.
Haven't seen a flyover in a while. Would love to see how the lot is looking...

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Agreed, that guy seems to be doing it egregiously though if he’s selling three plaid reservations it seems he had zero intentions of actually buying three plaids. He must be creating multiple fake tesla accounts to place the reservations under so he can transfer them later.
Maybe i missed that post in these 700+ pages. I thought it all started because someone was wanting to trade two mid-2022 reservations with someone who had one that would be delivered by the end of this year.

Been lurking for a while and figure I’d join the board, after all misery loves company.

Quick rundown of my situation. I convinced my wife to let me fulfill a childhood dream and buy a Ferrari as long as she could get a Model X. We placed our order on 02/21/21 for a Model X Plaid with FSD. Like most we were originally told May, then July then moved to October. After October we were told to prepare for delivery. That lasted a few days until it was moved to December and now February. We never got assigned a VIN.

Your originally rep got moved to a different department. We’ve called Tesla and nobody ever gets back to us. Pretty frustrating to be spending this kind of money and the company cannot give you the time of day.

The wife has wanted to cancel the order and go back to a Cayenne. I’ve convinced her to stay the course and that in the end it will be worthwhile. Meanwhile we’ve been renting a car for over 6 months now to get her and the kiddos around.

Based on the flyovers, building them (LR) is not the problem. Delivering them in finished condition is. Is it just that the fit and finish is so bad coming off the line that each car has to be individually adjusted and tweaked, for which they only have a few guys working on them so they can focus their manpower on Y's and 3's? Hard to tell but the deliveries are crazy slow and the X's are piling up.
My guess - based on these 700+ pages - is that these vehicles are missing parts, not fit-and-finish. In this theory, the individual cars are mostly complete, but are missing critical or highly visible parts, which are delayed due to the global supply chain slowdown. Once the parts are available, a tech adds them and the vehicles are delivered to customers.

Now, why is it too much to ask for Tesla to communicate with its customers... ?

Last edited:
Been lurking for a while and figure I’d join the board, after all misery loves company.

Quick rundown of my situation. I convinced my wife to let me fulfill a childhood dream and buy a Ferrari as long as she could get a Model X. We placed our order on 02/21/21 for a Model X Plaid with FSD. Like most we were originally told May, then July then moved to October. After October we were told to prepare for delivery. That lasted a few days until it was moved to December and now February. We never got assigned a VIN.

Your originally rep got moved to a different department. We’ve called Tesla and nobody ever gets back to us. Pretty frustrating to be spending this kind of money and the company cannot give you the time of day.

The wife has wanted to cancel the order and go back to a Cayenne. I’ve convinced her to stay the course and that in the end it will be worthwhile. Meanwhile we’ve been renting a car for over 6 months now to get her and the kiddos around.
Glad to have another AZ one here. Bottom line this whole process has sucked major but once you get the car it’s worth it. My friend picked his up last night (ordered 3 months after me) and all I can say is the car is absolutely incredible. Miles better than my 2017 X.

If you have waited this long what’s another 2-3 months?

OMG…..just received a call from SC Carlsbad (SoCal). Asked if we could take delivery TODAY………..WHAT is this really happening? Now have an appointment at 2:30pm to pick up our MX. we ordered March 5, 2021…
check our account this morning and nothing had changed. Now we have a VIN and a pickup time TODAY…..I’m still in shock. Merry Christmas to us! We will never forget this. 👍🎄🎁🎅🏼💝
FOLLOW UP on Delivery……..
Absolutely LOVE our 2022 MX. it’s all everyone said it would be and MORE. TOTALLY worth the wait! Only one minor issue everything else was perfect. Even though SC was super busy on Christmas Eve, they came through for us and was very accommodating. We had carpet floor mats front and back, trailer hitch included, all windows worked, all seats worked, nothing missing. LOVE IT !!

Moderator note: Moved numerous posts to Snippiness for personal attacks and trolling (particularly by trying to call out or shame specific users). This behavior is contrary to TMC forum rules.

Some posts were moved as "collateral damage" because they contained quotes of snippy posts. (Unfortunately cleaning up a thread like this is an inexact science.) Members are invited to re-post non-snippy parts of posts if they feel it'd be helpful to the overall thread topic.

Bruce.

FOLLOW UP on Delivery……..
Absolutely LOVE our 2022 MX. it’s all everyone said it would be and MORE. TOTALLY worth the wait! Only one minor issue everything else was perfect. Even though SC was super busy on Christmas Eve, they came through for us and was very accommodating. We had carpet floor mats front and back, trailer hitch included, all windows worked, all seats worked, nothing missing. LOVE IT !!
CONGRATS on the car! What was the minor issue?