Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had experience selling your car to places like Vroom where they don’t pay upfront? When trading in to Tesla, do they charge tax on the full amount of the vehicle you’re buying then deduct the trade in value?

I'm trading in my S and Tesla gives me a credit listed online which deducts from the taxable sale amount for the new X.

No experience with Vroom or others. Carvana quote was 14k less than Tesla. A real insult.

Was feb delivery date yesterday, now got changed to TBD

Attachments

• TBD.jpg
    TBD.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 237
Your Adventure Package R1S estimated delivery window will be the first half of 2023.

Looks like I might get my X LR long before this. But who knows?
Just got the same exact e-mail! The earlier communication this morning from CEO seemed like it was directed at Tesla and everyone waiting on a new X. While 2023 is very disappointing, at least Rivian "seems to be" transparent with delivery schedules. With 71,000 vehicle orders it's obvious that gaining production momentum is going to take a while. Will likely let the R1S order ride for a while before making a decision.

Is LL#2 real name Karen? I’m getting the older adult who shouldn’t have social media vibe.
I think the RPM guy likes Carbon Fiber 🤣🤣🤣 He only said it about 3,000 times 🤣
Seriously — the car is beautiful— wouldn’t touch a thing except to replace the yoke IF you are someone that doesn’t adjust well to it… there is already plenty of carbon fiber and the dead animal skin (whether faux or real) is god awful…

• Disagree
Reactions: JimBob 909
Well, I got my delivery window from Rivian, and it's not exactly what I was hoping for: First half of 2023. BUT, I really appreciate the communication:

"We realize this estimate may be different than what you had originally expected. Your delivery window estimate is based on your preorder date, delivery location and your current configuration. Due to the high volume of preorders for our Adventure Package with Large pack battery, we will be focusing on that configuration in 2022. In setting our delivery timing, we optimized our build sequence around the build combination that would support us ramping as quickly as possible and therefore have the largest possible positive climate impact."

At least they are being honest. production is being planned to ramp up in an efficient way, so they base the delivery window on location, what you ordered and timing.

While this is not what I wanted to hear, I very much appreciate the transparency and honesty. PEOPLE LIKE TRANSPARENCY, TESLA. ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME? It allows me to make plans, such as accepting delivery on my Plaid MX instead of waiting for my R1S. On the other hand, for all I know, they will delivery on the same day!

Well, I got my delivery window from Rivian, and it's not exactly what I was hoping for: First half of 2023. BUT, I really appreciate the communication:

"We realize this estimate may be different than what you had originally expected. Your delivery window estimate is based on your preorder date, delivery location and your current configuration. Due to the high volume of preorders for our Adventure Package with Large pack battery, we will be focusing on that configuration in 2022. In setting our delivery timing, we optimized our build sequence around the build combination that would support us ramping as quickly as possible and therefore have the largest possible positive climate impact."

At least they are being honest. production is being planned to ramp up in an efficient way, so they base the delivery window on location, what you ordered and timing.

While this is not what I wanted to hear, I very much appreciate the transparency and honesty. PEOPLE LIKE TRANSPARENCY, TESLA. ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME? It allows me to make plans, such as accepting delivery on my Plaid MX instead of waiting for my R1S. On the other hand, for all I know, they will delivery on the same day!
This is my thinking on why Tesla communication sucks vs Rivian
Tesla q3 operating cost is around 2 billion while delivering 241K cars
Rivian q3 operating cost is 775 million while delivering a handful of cars

Right now Rivian is ramping up production and they have a large staff which allows them to have more time for better communications. They have a man power to do things like this. Tesla team runs really lean so they only communicate when they are ready to deliver.

By all means, I still think this is where something Tesla can improve upon, but maybe they don't want to spend $$$ in that department so it goes straight to the bottom line for profits and such.

Reactions: henderrj
Just got the same exact e-mail! The earlier communication this morning from CEO seemed like it was directed at Tesla and everyone waiting on a new X. While 2023 is very disappointing, at least Rivian "seems to be" transparent with delivery schedules. With 71,000 vehicle orders it's obvious that gaining production momentum is going to take a while. Will likely let the R1S order ride for a while before making a decision.
I'm gonna do the same. Let it ride. See what people say about it. Decide later.

This is my thinking on why Tesla communication sucks vs Rivian
Tesla q3 operating cost is around 2 billion while delivering 241K cars
Rivian q3 operating cost is 775 million while delivering a handful of cars

Right now Rivian is ramping up production and they have a large staff which allows them to have more time for better communications. They have a man power to do things like this. Tesla team runs really lean so they only communicate when they are ready to deliver.

By all means, I still think this is where something Tesla can improve upon, but maybe they don't want to spend $$$ in that department so it goes straight to the bottom line for profits and such.
Agreed. They simply don't need to communicate to turn a profit. However, as a customer since 2012, today's Tesla feels indifferent, selfish, arrogant. The old Tesla had a much different feel.

They can afford a PR department. They choose not to spend money because it will not increase their bottom line and/or they are already at capacity. I get it from a business perspective. But, it still leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Called Tesla, They unmatched me from my VIN because of the snow storm happening in WA right now. They can't transport the vehicle to WA so they are giving it to someone else that they can get it to, probably before year end. It's frustrating but I don't think I can blame them.
@obiii, I truly respect your attitude. It's hard to maintain perspective when you feel like you're getting hosed.

Just got an email from Rivian. I will be getting an expected delivery window later today. Based on what I am reading, it looks possible that I may be able to take delivery in 2022. Will update here later today for those that are curious.

Taking delivery on my MX would be a tough call if it looked like the delivery date was only separated by a few months. Of course, Tesla gives you no way of making an informed decision on the competition. In my opinion, this is by design. I don't think they are evil or nefarious. I know this year has been incredibly difficult, and Tesla has shocked the world by setting records despite the pandemic. But, I also do believe that they may be willfully making an attempt to obfuscate information, in part to suppress customers' urge to buy something else. At a minimum, they are not being forthright, which (in my opinion, and that's all it is) gives them an unfair advantage over competitors. Before you jump in an say: "There is no competition", keep in mind, numerous people here have said they would have ordered an F150, a Rivian or even an ICE, had they been more informed.
I received my communication from Rivian for my R1S. Now I have a delivery window of October-December. I am also going to have a tough decision to make if my 1/25 LR X order keeps getting delayed. But since I ordered pre-refresh, I figure if I want to sell a few months afterwards, I could lose 20% and still come out even. Maybe I’m kidding myself.

Rivian has had its share of delays and production challenges, but at least I don’t feel like they are playing games with me by withholding information from me (and their own SAs!).

S
I received my communication from Rivian for my R1S. Now I have a delivery window of October-December. I am also going to have a tough decision to make if my 1/25 LR X order keeps getting delayed. But since I ordered pre-refresh, I figure if I want to sell a few months afterwards, I could lose 20% and still come out even. Maybe I’m kidding myself.

Rivian has had its share of delays and production challenges, but at least I don’t feel like they are playing games with me by withholding information from me (and their own SAs!).
Ditto! Desiring a company’s product with such ardor while despising the company itself with equal ardor results in some serious cognitive dissonance…