Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t buy the argument that Tesla is all about profits. Clearly the quarterly numbers matter, and they made the decision to structure their deliveries to minimize the number of vehicles in transit over the quarterly boundary. But I can’t really blame them for that — wasn’t it Q1 2019 when the stock was utterly hammered due to lower deliveries due to a lot of cars on boats? And, big picture, they’re still shipping the same number of cars to all parts of the country over the course of the quarter, it’s not just a money-grab to leave the bulk of California deliveries to late in the quarter. The only reason we even notice is the ramp seems to have made a big jump late in the quarter by which time they were on mostly California.

The six seat thing… it makes sense to pick some one variation to go first. Maybe it was because of the price… maybe because they had more available… maybe because they make it in-house… maybe because it was most popular… maybe because the motorized seats give the best hi-tech impression… I don’t think we know but I have a hard time saying it’s just a money grab.

Also, they could have bent over backward to get the plaid out first. As we know, they had a year to accomplish it!

Finally, it may be that Mercedes or BMW give a better build and delivery experience for their products that are already ramped and on the market (I haven’t noticed stories about new or substantially refreshed models from legacy OEMs). But I don’t think the amount I spend on a product in and of itself justifies a different level of service. I would hope if Tesla gives a better delivery experience, even those who order a base Model 3 or future “Model 2” would get it — not just those laying down six figures. For some reason the “customers who spend $100k deserve more” argument rubs me the wrong way in a way that “Tesla can/should do better” doesn’t.

But, all that aside, I’m still waiting, and still not enjoying the minivan until such a time as my reservation number comes up. I hope the ramp continues to accelerate. :)
Makes little difference to me either way but I interpret the frustration with the spending $100k thing is: say you’re buying a purse which you could buy anywhere, but if you’re going to Hermès, champagne and chocolates are expected, lol

So, looks like Tesla is calling MS LR order holders with white interiors to inform them that they are having supply chain issues with them and offering a free downgrade to black for delivery to happen. Wondering if this also affects the MX.
What? Free to go from white to black? I changed to 6-seater and black to white for $8,500 to get a "this year" delivery to happen. I would go back to my original 5-seater and black for $8,500 less and a Feb. delivery.

Lol that's what my 2016 S can do. It's activating extra banks of lights based on wheel turn. Not the same.
I don't think your 2016 S can do that. The new AFS lights started late 2017 and I ordered one after that.

Anyway I have a feeling that matrix light will be added to new S/X fairly soon (a few month at most). Wondering if I should delay my delivery a little bit further...( it's already delayed multiple times anyway:confused:)

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of something to bring the good vibes back up to a few hundred pages back.
So here goes, Damn the bears knocked the Seahawks out of the playoffs. I'm switching to let's go RAMS.....🐏
The Bears? Come on, man! Cowboys got it this year. If not, I'm used to disappointment.

I don't think your 2016 S can do that. The new AFS lights started late 2017 and I ordered one after that.

Anyway I have a feeling that matrix light will be added to new S/X fairly soon (a few month at most). Wondering if I should delay my delivery a little bit further...( it's already delayed multiple times anyway:confused:)
Pretty sure you don't have to do any delaying. Tesla has your back and will do it for you. This comes from personal experience.

You are incorrect. The lamps first appeared in June 2016 with the refresh 2016.5 (v2 model S).

They haven't changed since.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The reason Tesla Executives have adopted a philosophy to minimize communication, internally and externally, to the absolute minimum is because they are experiencing massive growth — at unprecedented levels in fact — and circumstances change so quickly they want to maintain optionality to adapt in a manner that maximizes quarterly outcomes for Tesla. The problem with pursuing this approach to the extreme, which I believe they have, is that the enterprise will develop a reputation with its customers and eventually investors that is far from optimal. Another company with a similar maximize current profit over long-term integrity — albeit in a different way — is Facebook. Compare these companies to Apple and Microsoft, for whom customer experience both short and long term are key values. I believe in 10 years the combined market cap of Facebook and Tesla with be a small fraction of either Microsoft or Apple due to their flawed priorities. That’s just my view, time will tell.
Maybe so—but Microsoft *products* are viewed by a number of people as being AWFUL. I personally have seen some validity in this viewpoint. Logging into my Microsoft account because my PC prompts it, only to go through hoops and then have to do it again etc.

In terms of user experience, my dealings with Microsoft made me feel it is the POLAR opposite of Apple (when dealing with account settings and family accounts etc, or trying to do anything even slightly advanced on the PC). Apple just works. It might not have certain advanced functionality that PCs have but for 99% of users they just want to print a pdf or connect to WiFi or other simple stuff. And Microsoft can be painful for dumb simple stuff.

I use PCs not MACs btw: I’m not “a mindless apple fan” but I have really grown to loving their seamless 2-factor authentication and a host of other things that Microsoft absolutely mangles (and I’ve worked through).

Btw Nintendo was like Microsoft in the little I’ve interacted with their services… account setup for a minor child *literally* took several hours of work for me the parent. Yeah I know, a minor, and the regulations about all that, but I mean wow. It was factually more work than buying a house (as a rough comparison).
To do an apple account for my kids was like instant and total amazing granular remote control and just made SENSE.

And Tesla products typically just work, as well. The product needs to be stupid-easy to use. That’s typically been my experience with Apple and Tesla.

I think that’s why people tolerate the other flaws. People want it easy.

Reactions: cheechogokid
Even with a minimum batch size why not match the extra cars with people who have spent months waiting for them? Surely with as many people that are waiting for them they must match someone's configuration.

Look at it in terms of the Model X. Assuming Tesla did the same thing for us I am sure some of the people with unfulfilled X reservations from last year that haven't received their car yet would be pretty unhappy that they are selling new Xs to people that haven't waited a year+.

I am not saying this to you directly @Stro I am more asking the question rhetorically.
I agree no minimum batch size.
Even with a minimum batch size why not match the extra cars with people who have spent months waiting for them? Surely with as many people that are waiting for them they must match someone's configuration.

Look at it in terms of the Model X. Assuming Tesla did the same thing for us I am sure some of the people with unfulfilled X reservations from last year that haven't received their car yet would be pretty unhappy that they are selling new Xs to people that haven't waited a year+.

I am not saying this to you directly @Stro I am more asking the question rhetorically.
There is not a minimum batch size per color or seat color dash color...at least when I took the factory tour. Otherwise youd see multiple batches parked together waiting for delivery in the staging area.

Seriously — the car is beautiful— wouldn’t touch a thing except to replace the yoke IF you are someone that doesn’t adjust well to it… there is already plenty of carbon fiber and the dead animal skin (whether faux or real) is god awful…
Someone told me today her friend doesn't like the yoke, because she cant smoke while driving. 😆🤣 I love it very comfortable.

So I just went with @janthony6 to get his car and I can’t believe the performance of the Plaid X. First off, thanks @janthony6 for letting me join you to get delivery of the car. It was amazing.

On to the interesting part. After getting the car, @janthony6 took the car out for a quick spin to check it out. We got it into cheetah mode for the first time and when the light hit green, BAMMM!! This SUV is hands down the fastest thing I have ever been in. It was such a cool experience. I’m so excited to get mine soon.

Thank @janthony6 !!!

As a start that they make at least a pretense to treat their customers with respect and decency rather than appear to milk every penny possible out of them by selling variants with most expensive options first, provide repeated communications that reflect no attempt at EDD accuracy, prioritize orders (ie, CA) made many months after others to maximize quarterly numbers, etc…. These behaviors won’t hurt their bottom line for the next two years but it’s sure to later in the company’s maturity cycle.
So you would be happier it Tesla make at least a pretense at communications, even if they knew it was only a pretense.

• Funny
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Hello to this wonderful group of people. I received the VIN text a few minutes back. Order RN1145466XX, Order Date 2/21/21. LR/White/Black/22/FSD. VIN
7SAXCBE52NF3296XX. Currently on hold with 'Tesla Division' of BofA auto financing. Any insight into the steps taken with Tesla after the loan is all set to go? I've got loan approval but need to finalize some things over phone with a BofA associate. I am assuming their' Tesla Division' is a bit busy at year end (20 minutes on hold and counting). I am wondering how challenging it will be to speak with a Tesla associate (I don't have any SA information) once I finish with the lender. Thank you all for your expertise!

Hello to this wonderful group of people. I received the VIN text a few minutes back. Order RN1145466XX, Order Date 2/21/21. LR/White/Black/22/FSD. VIN
7SAXCBE52NF3296XX. Currently on hold with 'Tesla Division' of BofA auto financing. Any insight into the steps taken with Tesla after the loan is all set to go? I've got loan approval but need to finalize some things over phone with a BofA associate. I am assuming their' Tesla Division' is a bit busy at year end (20 minutes on hold and counting). I am wondering how challenging it will be to speak with a Tesla associate (I don't have any SA information) once I finish with the lender. Thank you all for your expertise!
That is so exciting! Congrats!