Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been lurking for a while and figure I’d join the board, after all misery loves company.

Quick rundown of my situation. I convinced my wife to let me fulfill a childhood dream and buy a Ferrari as long as she could get a Model X. We placed our order on 02/21/21 for a Model X Plaid with FSD. Like most we were originally told May, then July then moved to October. After October we were told to prepare for delivery. That lasted a few days until it was moved to December and now February. We never got assigned a VIN.

Your originally rep got moved to a different department. We’ve called Tesla and nobody ever gets back to us. Pretty frustrating to be spending this kind of money and the company cannot give you the time of day.

The wife has wanted to cancel the order and go back to a Cayenne. I’ve convinced her to stay the course and that in the end it will be worthwhile. Meanwhile we’ve been renting a car for over 6 months now to get her and the kiddos around.
Nice to see another Ferrari owner here , great bunch of enthusiasts here too, advanced automobile lovers all. This thread is almost impossible to keep up with unless that’s all you do. So my welcome will be probably 50 pages later. We Plaid order holders have been on hold until recently but now I see the first 10 or 20 have been delivered for year end. Again welcome and it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one that could be accused of working both sides of the street……..

So you have been waiting for longer than a year now? 😞
Yup.They called and said “Bad news your order for a Model X for only $79K has been canceled, Good news is for only $8k more you can get the new refresh Model X and since you had a 2020 order…. You’ll be on the priority list for the first deliveries“
like a sucker I sit and wait… Pissed enough to cancel the order but smart enough to buy it for $87K when ever they make and deliver it and then probably sell it for serious $$$$$$.

Reactions: MX Colo
Shouldn’t they have updated the EDD date by now!!!? When did they update January to February? Anybody remember? Or don’t tell me it’s still February but in year 2023 😱.
December 8th we got Jan.

Nice to see another Ferrari owner here , great bunch of enthusiasts here too, advanced automobile lovers all. This thread is almost impossible to keep up with unless that’s all you do. So my welcome will be probably 50 pages later. We Plaid order holders have been on hold until recently but now I see the first 10 or 20 have been delivered for year end. Again welcome and it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one that could be accused of working both sides of the street……..
Hey now. This is not all I do. I’m running a company, raising kids, and patiently waiting for my new MX to arrive. Some of us are great at multitasking.

And welcome!

I noticed not many members comment on the delivery numbers, which about 3000 for the X in the whole year, including 1000 pre refresh in January, as we remember they started delivery for the refresh in November, that is mean in 2 months was 2000 cars, not sure how many car is needed for the first quarter to fulfill at least till the first quarter of last year!!!

I noticed not many members comment on the delivery numbers, which about 3000 for the X in the whole year, including 1000 pre refresh in January, as we remember they started delivery for the refresh in November, that is mean in 2 months was 2000 cars, not sure how many car is needed for the first quarter to fulfill at least till the first quarter of last year!!!
Agree!! Interestingly it said in Q3 Tesla made 23 production Model X's. Really wondering at what number the vins started at.

Sisters W/B/6 seat/22/FSD LR X is leaving Chicago tonight and headed to Cincinnati.. Should be in tomorrow.. If anyone lives around that service center and wants to do me a solid and take some pics/do the pre delivery check up for us it would be awesome! lol jk.. but seriously, its a two hour drive and am beyond stoked for her to get it but dont want to have to drive four hours and her not come back with the car..
No update on my wifes "priority queue" LR X..
My MS LR should be getting a VIN any day according to SA and should be delivered within two weeks..
Has anyone sold a car via VROOM before? How long after you sign digital contracts does it typically take to get paid from sale? any insight would be greatly appreciated..
Sidenote: I asked SA to run a "simulated trade in" for me to see what tesla would offer for my 21 M3P and it came back at 51,500.. a little short the 62k that VROOM is giving me for my 61.2k purchase.. lol

YES!*

* - fineprint: Yes, it appears that 1/a couple/some Plaids have been delivered over the past couple of weeks. Nobody that I'm currently aware of other than this YouTuber and a couple of secondhand comments have got it. It is suspicious as it came with aftermarket furry seat covers (yes, the guy is an aftermarket seller). It's also suspect because nobody on this forum has been singing about it incessantly. As Yakkodot suggests, it's time to go back to RipVanWinkling - maybe our deliveries will happen in 100 years when we wake up. I think it's fair to say that nobody has an exact clue whether they're really ramping up the Plaids (let alone the Xs as a whole) or not.
I saw at least 5 of them on the Irvine lot and was driven around in one. We did a quick 0-60 launch and it was insane. There are lots of other reports from Los Angeles.

To qualify, I have a Plaid order from Feb ‘21 and I’m skeptical as well. I just saw a lot get delivered last week though and the Irvine lot manager told me they expect many more this week too.

Maybe I’m too “glass half full” but I’m sticking with the idea that now that Plaids can be built, they will be the priority just like the S Plaids.

I saw at least 5 of them on the Irvine lot and was driven around in one. We did a quick 0-60 launch and it was insane. There are lots of other reports from Los Angeles.

To qualify, I have a Plaid order from Feb ‘21 and I’m skeptical as well. I just saw a lot get delivered last week though and the Irvine lot manager told me they expect many more this week too.

Maybe I’m too “glass half full” but I’m sticking with the idea that now that Plaids can be built, they will be the priority just like the S Plaids.
I was told they are only receiving Plaids there now so good luck, hope you’re in it!

How did you manage to get a ride in one?!?! Also I thought it would be Plaid not Insane like LR. Haha 🤣

All my previous cars just had tongue weight ratings. They didn’t specify a different rating for bikes. Maybe it’s the style of hitch used. But either way, I really don’t know what to do.

-80 lb bike 4-bike rack
-80 lb Rad Wagon
-60 lb Rad Mini
-25 lb kids bike
-25 lb kids bike

That puts me at 270. It was never an issue with my QX60 (500 lb), but it’s over double the 120 Tesla rating.

The answer seems to be an obvious don’t do it, but I’ve also read countless posts from users having no issues. One guy said he regularly puts his 400 lb motorcycle on there.

So what’s the solution? Do it? Don’t? What’s causing the low rating? The car? The hitch? The adapter? Can the factory hitch be replaced with a traditional one to give a higher rating?
I wouldn’t be worried. I’ll be over Tesla’s limit as well (by like 20lbs) but the tow ratings on hitches have always had some safety fluff.

Reactions: zk19
I’m giving it this week to hear something about my X. If not, I’m pulling the trigger on an MSP. Tired of waiting.
I fell into this trap in May. Bought the MSP and sold it within two weeks. My back and body said: “Nope, you belong in an SUV”.

I also felt like I was settling for something I didn’t really want and that settling cost me north of $130k.

I was told they are only receiving Plaids there now so good luck, hope you’re in it!
I wish that were true but I saw more regular X’s than Plaids. I do think that So Cal got every Plaid that was delivered at the end of the year though because of the EOY rush and bad weather in Nor Cal. I’m guessing that will change in Jan. There’s also a few regular X VINners on here with Irvine pickups soon.

Reactions: T3slafan2500