Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to believe this as it USED to be the case. However, there have been now two MX LRs with my exact same configuration delivered to the SAME location I'm in (Houston) to people that ordered 2-4 months AFTER me. So yeah... this assumption went out the window for me.
Interesting- same color too? I'm sure they take other factors into account, such as payment / loan situation / credit rating, etc- especially at the end of the quarter.

Update from @TroyTeslike on Twitter. He noted that the statistics posted yesterday were following current production rates. He revised with a new calculation for 2022 factoring in GigaTexas production.

He seems to be a pretty reliable source for estimations. His estimations for 2021 were off by 3.1%. Not bad!

Note that he estimates a current S/X backlog total of 33,727 cars. He estimates Fremont will produce 17,600 in Q1 and 21,900 in Q2

Fingers crossed he is correct! He has a good reputation 🤞

FIWpmRZX0AoOers.png

i've been following this thread since page 70 i think and i finally decided to sign up. I just got my VIN as of this morning.

Build:
LR
6 Seater
Black and Black Interior
20 inch
NO FSD

Located in SF Bay Area

Timeline
Ordered July 21
RN1151632XX
First Expected Delivery > January
Delivery Date went away in SEPT
Delivery Date updated again for February
Yesterday Delivery Date went away
Today i have a VIN assigned
7SAXCBE5XNF330XXX
Would you add the 15th digit? That might help us get closer to the production numbers.

Reactions: peter21581 and Stro
Went to the Plano, TX service center for service for my Model 3 today, asked the advisor how many new Model Xs they’ve delivered, and he said “2”, both were 2020 orders…

My 30th birthday is coming up at the end of March, would be a perfect gift for myself but I really doubt if I can get it by then… May 2021 order, LR white/white 6 seater.
I will be picking up from the Plano location too. Glad to hear they delivered a couple, that's encouraging. Hopefully you get a nice birthday present!

My order: LR/blue/cream/5 seater/ 3/21/21. Of course 5 seats is at the back of the line.

This was fun - I have to share...

I am working from home today - had a down moment so I figured I would call Tesla and ask about my X order (knowing it won't get me anywhere and TMC knows more then Tesla than Tesla employees know about Tesla, but heck, I'm bored)

After going back and forth a bit confirming who I am and the details of my order, he notes that I have 22" rims. He informed me that the Model X is only being made in the 20" variant and I could expect the 22"s to be produced later this year. 🚩 My BS detector started to go off so I asked him to clarify if they have shipped any with 22" yet, he told me not to his knowledge. 🙃
He then attempted to console my concerns and inform me that currently the biggest limiting factor is the chip shortage. Now hold on. Tesla's Q4 delivery was record breaking. Just to prove a point I Googled it - 305,840 cars produced in Q4 2021 vs 179,757 cars produced in Q4 2020. A total production of 930,422 in 2021 and 509,737 in 2021. I don't buy the chip shortage argument anymore. He says "this is just what I am told to tell you".

Anyways, that was my entertainment for the afternoon. Back to work!
I periodically do the same thing - play dumb and call or email, asking for updated information. I found this email from this morning interesting:

In regard to your Model X order, I don’t see anything more specific than just a “February” timeline in our system currently. Production of the Model S and Model X were both affected heavily by the global chip supply shortage because of the AMD Ryzen chipset (similar to the Xbox Series X and PS5) that is used to power graphics within the vehicle.

Reactions: studioloft
So where are the lawyers on here, and why is there no class action yet?! I know there are many of us who were duped into paying an extra $6500 with the information that they’d only be making 6 seat LR’s and that if we “upgraded” to that, we’d take delivery in 2021. However, 2021 has come and gone, many of us still don’t have VIN’s, and they’re now delivering a few 7 seaters and plenty of Plaids to people who ordered 6 months or more after some of us. They literally could not have screwed this roll out up any worse than they have, and they just keep making it worse. I know I’m not the only one who was told that they “guaranteed” delivery this year, and while it wasn’t ever done in writing, it’s what they apparently told everyone, and I’m also pretty sure at least one person said they had that statement recorded. If lawyers asked for it, they could probably get access to the recordings from Tesla where the reps made the guarantee. Component delays do not account for the fact that they’re delivering vehicles to people who ordered 6 months later than many of us. They’re just bold-faced lying at this
They don't deliver cars first-come-first-serve. They create batches of 1 config and then ship them all over. Then, within that region, for that configuration, it becomes first-come-first-serve.
Oh no I might be the only person here who ordered a black exterior LR MX …..I’ll be the last person to get my car 😏

I periodically do the same thing - play dumb and call or email, asking for updated information. I found this email from this morning interesting:
Interesting indeed.

This actually might be credible intel provided by a Tesla rep! (pun intended)

I am aware of the supply issue AMD is currently having and I know this updated chip is exclusive to the MS/MX in the US... However that is in the US. They are also putting this chip in the MY in China. 🤷‍♂️

I've had my Plaid for over a week now. I love it. I sold my Cayenne to Carmax and I'm done with ICE.

Dropping off my car to RPM Tesla tonight for 3m crystalline tint. Doing the whole thing - 40% on the smoked windows, 20% front, 70% windshield. This car has been fantastic to drive around in plaid mode. I haven't tried sport or chill yet and neither has my wife (who drives the car a lot more than me.)

Since the Model 3 reservation queue which was much larger than the current X queue, Tesla has stated that orders are not delivered chronologically and order date is only 1 of several factors. If one does not like how Tesla delivers, then maybe Tesla is not a good fit. I understand it can be frustrating but unless you buy from inventory, there is nothing that can be done about it as this is the way the company works.
However, they flat out lied about when the first refresh X’s would go out and our EDDs have shifted from Mar/Apr of 2021 to Feb 2022 (and even that isn’t guaranteed).

I’m not sure how a willingness to overlook or not care about that has any relation to whether or not a Tesla is a good fit for us.

Reactions: IAMCCF
Just saying this because I feel it needs to be said.

Yes, Tesla communication is terrible. The ordering/reservation process is flawed. Delivery order is unfair. The cars are frequently delivered with a plethora of issues.

However....

No other SUV on the market matches the Model X. The exterior and interior are gorgeous. The infotainment technology is unmatched. No other brand can match Tesla's autopilot technology. The fastest production 0-60 in it's class.

I am not giving them a pass for running their company inadequately - they should certainly continue to be given a hard time. But the product is so good there really are not any other comparable options.

Took delivery on the 31st.

Had a screw in the face of 1 tire then after they changed it and i drove home noticed a chip out of the rim.

Have an appointment to try and get the FWDs alignment fixed.

No real major problems except for a distortion in the windshield that is in my line of sight for my left eye when looking about 200 yards out. After about 5-10 minutes start feeling a little nausea/dizziness like wearing the wrong prescription glasses on one eye. Tried changing seating position but can't find one that is comfortable that gets it out of my line of sight.

Absolutely love the car and worth every minute of time it took to get it.

Side note: car was supposed to be delivered to the house. Got a call on 12/29 to finish financing and figure out a way to come get the car before the 1st or lose another VIN. They could not find a transport for it to be delivered in time.
Such a gorgeous car. Dont you have any other pics other than the discrepancies?

Last edited:
Reactions: T3slafan2500
Sure would be nice of some of the Plaid VINs start showing up outside of California. I lived in Hermosa Beach for a year. Incredible experience. Knowing what I am missing there and seeing all these Cali VINs is acutely aggravating my FOMO :rolleyes:
I'd be happy to get a VIN here in Cali. Maybe cuz I'm in the Valley? Guys in Pittsburgh are getting there's, so...

Last edited:
Reactions: jbrowdy