Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all those comparison videos are click bait - save $30k-$40k on the Y and get almost the same thing. None of the videos I see show the Faberge egg features - only discuss space.

*I don’t know why I don’t see as many 3 vs S videos - maybe there out there and they don’t come up in my feed
They are not the same thing. I test drove a Y when my X lease was coming up. Quite different in feel, in openness, and ride quality. Also, displays are better with an MFD right in front of the driver. The bottom line is immediately after that test drive, I ordered a new X.

Last edited:
To me... when they finally started producing cars.... priority delivery would have been in Oct / November 2021.
To your point, I may get one of the first 1-2k refreshed 5 seaters but it will probably be after you and the rest of the higher priced 6 and 7 seaters get delivered. A far cry from the commitments made late in 2020 and then the switch to Refresh in Jan 2021.

So far for me and what I have learned here on this thread the Tesla refresh Model X Customer experience is horrible, unconscionable and unprofessional.

I'm used to horrible customer service from Tesla in general. I have a 8.19kWh solar array plus two powerwalls and getting ahold of customer support after your activated is like getting a private audience with the Pope. Fortunately my hardware is working well (the install team was awesome) and my needs to communicate with Tesla Energy have to do with paperwork ect...

As far as the "much, much better vehicle." I am hoping... praying... ready to sacrifice a fatted calf to have my white exterior, black interior, 5 seat, 20" wheel with no FSD, delivered flawlessly.... I hope it's the definition of perfection after all the practice they will have had assembling the 6 and 7 seaters...

I know... I know... I sound very jaded... I don't own any stock so my life, my hopes and dreams are not tied to Tesla going to the moon...
I don't fawn over Elon's every Tweet or podcast appearance.
I'm just a simple customer who is spending his hard earned money from his paycheck to go green and make a personal impact on the environment. In the meantime I park my 2017 Ford Explorer in my driveway next to my Tesla Wall Connector which was installed 10 months ago in preparation for a March/April delivery which never happened... as neighbors heckle me... "Hey where's your fancy Tesla? Did Elon for get about you? Hey... Still driving the Ford... Did you cancel the X?" and all I can say is... "Go F*** yourself" then run inside to check my account page for an update.
I was throughly happy with the Tesla experience. I knew from past experience and googling their history that I would get no updates or calls and I just needed to wait and the car would come. It did after 11 months. Please know there are lots of happy customers. I found in mosts online forums its usually just the unhappy ones who take the time to complain. The others have moved on.

Regarding screens having one that is right in front of the driver is great. And this also frees space on the center display. Plus there supposedly a 3rd unused display somewhere in the dash.

The only thing I wish the model X had was a HUD. I had one on my BMW X3 and I really miss keeping my eyes outside of the vehicle and never having to look down at the dash.
Agreed. Had a huge full-color heads-up display in my 750 that rendered maps, displayed the speed limit + speed driven, and other useful info. That and the 360-surround view camera system are the two things I wish the Model X had. I've learned to live without them though.

Agreed. Had a huge full-color heads-up display in my 750 that rendered maps, displayed the speed limit + speed driven, and other useful info. That and the 360-surround view camera system are the two things I wish the Model X had. I've learned to live without them though.
Forgot about the birds-eye display. I really miss that from the BMW. It made parking even in tight spots easy. To me, it seems that Tesla could install one wide-angle camera down low in the nose and have more than enough views to stitch together that display.

Forgot about the birds-eye display. I really miss that from the BMW. It made parking even in tight spots easy. To me, it seems that Tesla could install one wide-angle camera down low in the nose and have more than enough views to stitch together that display.
I have to say, I wish Tesla would have done the HUD. I know that it would drive up the price of the windshield, which given the tendencies as of late where they crack, would make replacements even more expensive. I miss that especially with navigation in the HUD.

Cameras need to be put up front and closer to the sides (a la BMW - in front of the wheel well) so the car can see around blind spots better - that to me is a limitation of FSD because it'll have to creep out far enough to see oncoming traffic to actually be dangerous. Would love a better birds-eye view as well - never had it. Probably all out, you need 14: the existing 8, 1 up front, 1 at each corner and probably 1 up top.

I think a retrofittable 110-degree* camera in the outside corner of both front headlights would greatly assist FSD (and any top-down view for the driver)

*off the top of my head.

I’ve always suggested: do ICE until you get your X. Cars sell really quickly nowadays. The challenge is getting the one you want.
To go from a Tesla to an ICE vehicle is depressing. Also, the wife already warned me. I'm allowed ONE car purchase this year. So if I get an ICE car, that's it. No reselling or anything else. How I miss the single life sometimes.

Maybe we'll all be lucky today. We shall wait and see what the Tesla Gods bless us with today.

Once you receive your MX, all of this pain you're experiencing is going to fade away, and you'll be singing Tesla's praises again. That happened to me when I ordered my first Tesla in 2019. I was appalled at the lack of communication and the on-again, off-again, on-again delivery scheduling. Previously, I'd only driven BMWs (had owned five of them, sequentially, culminating in a 2016 750Li that I traded for the Model X P100D) and was expecting the delivery experience to match BMWs given the price I paid for the Model X. Tesla fell waaayyy short. But when I finally received the car it clicked. I got it. The car itself was LEAGUES better than the 750 I'd just traded. I was sooo in love with the car, with the entire ownership experience, the ordering and scheduling nightmares simply faded away. "The more difficult the birth, the more beloved the child."
I'm glad you feel that way. I also had great experience with my BMW X3M Competition and the dealer's delivery and service. The car was exceptional, however I sold it based on "one of the many" Tesla promised delivery dates. Now we have a single car and I'm driving a Sprinter delivery van from my wife's business!

I can tell you that just because the X is an exceptional vehicle with amazing features and capabilities, it won't be good enough to erase the HORRIBLE experience with Tesla. If we did business with other companies that lie and continually over promise and under deliver, like Tesla has and continues to do, I doubt that we'd keep doing business with them. In my case this transaction is a one and done with Tesla. I'll buy future EV's from a company that values my business and understands what customer service is and what it means, even if the EV isn't equal to or comparable to Tesla vehicles.

The anticipation of the new X is the only thing keeping me interested in Tesla. Like others, I also don't own Tesla stock and am definitely not a fan boy! From many other posts here, it sounds like Tesla is the "same ol' company" they've always been. I had a boss who shared some outstanding wisdom with me. He said that "you can't talk your way out of something you behaved your way into". I found that extremely profound and applicable to what we've experienced with Tesla.

That is all... (off my soapbox now)

They are not the same thing. I test drove a Y when my X lease was coming up. Quite different in feel, in openness, and ride quality. Also, displays are better with an MFD right in front of the driver. The bottom line is immediately after that test drive, I ordered a new X.
I do agree that the X is better, I'm not sure its $50,000 better though. The Y is definitely more open feeling for the back passengers while the X obviously for the front. I think it's going to be really interesting to see what Y's coming out of Texas are like if they start coming with the cast front back and structural 4680 battery. Who knows, they may implement air suspension at that point since that's what the Y needs most imo. Speculation of course, and I assume they need to keep it "lesser" than the X. Who knows, maybe that means improving the X in some way when the Texas Y is released though based on this refresh I'm not sure they are capable right now.

Reactions: John in LB
I think a retrofittable 110-degree* camera in the outside corner of both front headlights would greatly assist FSD (and any top-down view for the driver)

*off the top of my head.
There were really only four cameras in my 2016 7-series, so Tesla has that beat handily. The problem, as you note, is placement. The Tesla cameras are optimally placed for AutoPilot -- not for rendering 360. In my 750 there was a single wide-angle camera in the nose of the car (embedded in the grille), one each pointing downward from the driver and passenger side mirrors, and a single wide-angle camera mounted above the rear license plate.

I have to say, I wish Tesla would have done the HUD. I know that it would drive up the price of the windshield, which given the tendencies as of late where they crack, would make replacements even more expensive. I miss that especially with navigation in the HUD.

Cameras need to be put up front and closer to the sides (a la BMW - in front of the wheel well) so the car can see around blind spots better - that to me is a limitation of FSD because it'll have to creep out far enough to see oncoming traffic to actually be dangerous. Would love a better birds-eye view as well - never had it. Probably all out, you need 14: the existing 8, 1 up front, 1 at each corner and probably 1 up top.
I had not thought about a camera on top, but with FWDs a couple up there might be useful to prevent collisions with overhead pumping or wires in a parking structure, or my messy garage!

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I think I finally have some goodish news depending on where you are, originally when I ordered my X the estimated delivery said Jan-Feb, then out of nowhere in November it switched to December Estimated delivery, I instantly got all the tasks finished including payment thinking I would get it by December, but then it got changed right back to February and no longer Jan-Feb, which meant hope for December and January was completely gone for me.

But now for the good ish news, tesla is one of my oldest costumers since around 2016, I am the owner of a logistics company so I have access to the cars and vins that are being shipped and need to be shipped, I only have info on the cars that are being moved around and have 0 info on the ones being built or how manny are being built or anything, I simply just know what cars are done being built, where they are going and by when, I wasn’t seeing almost any Xs at all in December but things have started to pick up, now there’s full truck loads of Xs, keep in mind since the Xs weigh so much and are long, the limit that can be moved at once legally is much less than the usual 8-9 cars. I’ve started to see more and more of them needing to be shipped outside of California! mainly in the Big Western region states, AZ and CO seem to be having the most Xs on the way to them, Texas is starting to pick up a bit too, still don’t see much for us at all in the East, but I can confidently say that the western states are about to be having 12 or more cars a week at each delivery center soon, and 12 a week is a very conservative number, hopefully they can clear out the west and come to the East soon, meybe my company will be the one delivering to some of you guys on here from the east soon haha

I do agree that the X is better, I'm not sure its $50,000 better though. The Y is definitely more open feeling for the back passengers while the X obviously for the front. I think it's going to be really interesting to see what Y's coming out of Texas are like if they start coming with the cast front back and structural 4680 battery. Who knows, they may implement air suspension at that point since that's what the Y needs most imo. Speculation of course, and I assume they need to keep it "lesser" than the X. Who knows, maybe that means improving the X in some way when the Texas Y is released though based on this refresh I'm not sure they are capable right now.
It is product segmentation. Every car company does this. My neighbor's Taycan Turbo S is not worth 90K more than a Taycan 4, but that is the price difference. And that is before options. You can easily add $40K of options to these cars. Airlines do it with seats. The same flight is $350 in coach, $5,000 in First.

Product cost amortization is also a factor. The X sells in far smaller numbers (25,000/yr) than the Y (150,000+/yr). So the cost of engineering and production for X is spread among fewer units. And we all know the X is a very unique car, sharing less than 30% of parts with the S, versus the 3 and Y sharing over 70% of parts.

As Elon has stated. With the X you buying a Faberge Egg. Expensive, unique, and exclusive.

I think I finally have some goodish news depending on where you are, originally when I ordered my X the estimated delivery said Jan-Feb, then out of nowhere in November it switched to December Estimated delivery, I instantly got all the tasks finished including payment thinking I would get it by December, but then it got changed right back to February and no longer Jan-Feb, which meant hope for December and January was completely gone for me.

But now for the good ish news, tesla is one of my oldest costumers since around 2016, I am the owner of a logistics company so I have access to the cars and vins that are being shipped and need to be shipped, I only have info on the cars that are being moved around and have 0 info on the ones being built or how manny are being built or anything, I simply just know what cars are done being built, where they are going and by when, I wasn’t seeing almost any Xs at all in December but things have started to pick up, now there’s full truck loads of Xs, keep in mind since the Xs weigh so much and are long, the limit that can be moved at once legally is much less than the usual 8-9 cars. I’ve started to see more and more of them needing to be shipped outside of California! mainly in the Big Western region states, AZ and CO seem to be having the most Xs on the way to them, Texas is starting to pick up a bit too, still don’t see much for us at all in the East, but I can confidently say that the western states are about to be having 12 or more cars a week at each delivery center soon, and 12 a week is a very conservative number, hopefully they can clear out the west and come to the East soon, meybe my company will be the one delivering to some of you guys on here from the east soon haha
Thank you for sharing! This is encouraging sign for sure. Any chance you’re able to see if any 7 seater or 5 seater MXs are being shipped vs if still only 6 seaters? 😁
Although that may not be info available to you. Still appreciate your info on this.