Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AUGUST order!??!?!?!?!? This makes NO sense..........It's like they went to the most current order with the same pick up location and called them to make the quick sale. Instead of putting in the effort to search for the oldest order with the SAME config. SMH
Exactly! They could have made a quick sale with me too! I'm paying cash so the only wait time they'd have is for me to stop at the bank for a cashier's check on the way to get it!

Nice to see another Ferrari owner here , great bunch of enthusiasts here too, advanced automobile lovers all. This thread is almost impossible to keep up with unless that’s all you do. So my welcome will be probably 50 pages later. We Plaid order holders have been on hold until recently but now I see the first 10 or 20 have been delivered for year end. Again welcome and it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one that could be accused of working both sides of the street……..

Nice to see another Ferrari owner here , great bunch of enthusiasts here too, advanced automobile lovers all. This thread is almost impossible to keep up with unless that’s all you do. So my welcome will be probably 50 pages later. We Plaid order holders have been on hold until recently but now I see the first 10 or 20 have been delivered for year end. Again welcome and it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one that could be accused of working both sides of the street……..
Agree its tough to keep up. Appreciate the welcome and so far I'm enjoying it, minus the pain of waiting. At this point I'm going to be happy if I see the car before middle of the year. To add insult to injury everyday I get to walk by the Tesla charger we paid to install in our garage just waiting for some love.

The other day the Ferrari gave me a warning about an overheating clutch. I'm terrified every time I have to take it to the Ferrari dealer. Anytime I walk out of there below $2k in work I feel like I got a W...

Reactions: KidsEyeDr and UCF3
Just zoomed into the photos I took of my MXP on the delivery lot. Looks like it's equipped with Continental SportContact 6 tires:
Damn. I guess I need to expect to invest in a separate set of rims with winter tires (and a place to store them). Thanks for looking!

However, I couldn't be more frustrated with and disgusted with Tesla. The owner had my exact configuration. But the kicker? He ordered in August and he didn't order that configuration. He said they randomly called him a few days ago and asked if he wanted that one instead, and he accepted.
Time to tweet Elon?

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Today I had the opportunity to get up close and personal with a refreshed MX and it is such a beautiful vehicle.

However, I couldn't be more frustrated with and disgusted with Tesla. The owner had my exact configuration. But the kicker? He ordered in August and he didn't order that configuration. He said they randomly called him a few days ago and asked if he wanted that one instead, and he accepted.

He had my exact configuration and it sounded like someone passed on the vehicle for whatever reason and they just reached out to him randomly. My SA, while a nice guy, seems very new and uninformed so I called Fremont directly and asked WTH was going on. They confirmed my account is in good standing and everything is set up correctly, but "my" car is still in the build mode. I asked why I couldn't take this car since it was exactly what I ordered and I coudln't get an answer.

I hold no ill will towards the guy who got the car (note: he isn't a member here but I invited him to check it out. Brent, if you do join, thanks again for letting a complete stranger who randomly ran up to you in a parking lot put his grubby paws all over your car.) but I do hold ill will towards Tesla. I get all the "ship cars in bulk to regions" stuff, but this was a perfect fit for me with the identical configuration and same service center and an OD 5 months prior. The only reason I was skipped over was poor customer service.

/rant

On a positive note, the car looked fantastic. No noticeable panel gaps or paint chips or anything.
Welcome to my world. Take a seat.

Today I had the opportunity to get up close and personal with a refreshed MX and it is such a beautiful vehicle.

He had my exact configuration and it sounded like someone passed on the vehicle for whatever reason and they just reached out to him randomly. My SA, while a nice guy, seems very new and uninformed so I called Fremont directly and asked WTH was going on. They confirmed my account is in good standing and everything is set up correctly, but "my" car is still in the build mode. I asked why I couldn't take this car since it was exactly what I ordered and I coudln't get an answer.

I hold no ill will towards the guy who got the car (note: he isn't a member here but I invited him to check it out. Brent, if you do join, thanks again for letting a complete stranger who randomly ran up to you in a parking lot put his grubby paws all over your car.) but I do hold ill will towards Tesla. I get all the "ship cars in bulk to regions" stuff, but this was a perfect fit for me with the identical configuration and same service center and an OD 5 months prior. The only reason I was skipped over was poor customer service.

/rant

On a positive note, the car looked fantastic. No noticeable panel gaps or paint chips or anything.
As most of you know, I try to stay positive... but this is upsetting... makes me feel like we have to be aggressive and seek out the cars on our own.

In 2017, my SA was looking out for me and proactively located a car for me... they even changed the wheels to match my desires.

Now, there is no proactive SA... just a person that can read the website to me...

It really reminds me of the evolution of DELL in the 90s.

Ordered MX LR 7 seater in March’21 and have a EDD of Feb. I’m going through Tesla financing. Question: should I submit the loan application now or wait until the VIN is assigned. Don’t want credit to be pulled twice given so much uncertainty of delivery dates
I'd recommend waiting until you have a VIN and a firm delivery date. Financing only takes a day or two.

Reactions: Joshnickell
Exactly! They could have made a quick sale with me too! I'm paying cash so the only wait time they'd have is for me to stop at the bank for a cashier's check on the way to get it!
I think you have to have an SA that’s on top of it. My SA told me that he does a daily check for cars that pop into some list (because someone else couldn’t take delivery etc) and then nabs them for his customers. He told me that’s what he would be doing for my Plaid every day and although I want black, he would nab a white one for me if it came up too.

I should also add that I think this is part luck and part effort on my part. I was auto-assigned an SA from the internet and was getting random slow responses via text. I went into the SC twice to find the SA and then once I did, spent an hour hanging out and getting to know him. Only after that did he say he would check the list each day for me…

Last edited:
Reactions: John in LB and LL#2
5/7 seat X Plaid have disappeared from configurator even worldwide, even though overseas orders don’t even have a price or delivery date now.

My pure speculative meaning of this, is that going forward, plaids will be exclusively with 6 seats, and if someone wants a 5/7, they’ll have to get a regular. I believe that they WILL fill current 5/7 plaid orders, and any future ones will be 6 seat only…

IF this is the case, pending 5/7 plaid owners might end up with unicorns that will hold value pretty well!
I just found this post affirming your theory. Link

Was hoping someone would respond to the one-sided WP article (turns out author has a bit of an anti EV history) and glad he did it; in case you missed it:

As someone who spent 10+ hours stuck on I-80 in our Model X back in 2018, I can 100% guarantee that only a moron would prefer to be in an ICE versus an EV with a decent-sized battery in those kinds of situations. We subsequently had to sleep in our car (wife, two kids, and a dog). All fine. Heat on and kids charging their iPads while watching movies.

As someone who spent 10+ hours stuck on I-80 in our Model X back in 2018, I can 100% guarantee that only a moron would prefer to be in an ICE versus an EV with a decent-sized battery in those kinds of situations. We subsequently had to sleep in our car (wife, two kids, and a dog). All fine. Heat on and kids charging their iPads while watching movies.
i'd beg to differ. I was stuck for 4 hours and eventually had to turn off my heat and put on my snow jacket with 3-4" of snow on my hood and my wipers frozen and not doing anything. i ran down like 50 miles of battery just sitting there and moving like 5 miles. My total commute was only supposed to be about 15 miles

• Informative
Reactions: jkhanesq
Ordered MX LR 7 seater in March’21 and have a EDD of Feb. I’m going through Tesla financing. Question: should I submit the loan application now or wait until the VIN is assigned. Don’t want credit to be pulled twice given so much uncertainty of delivery dates
I have the same however will wait until a VIN is assigned. Based on the trends there is no point in running the credit check now.

Reactions: EV_LIFE
Hello everyone!

Long time follower, first time poster. Just chiming in because I gave the Fremont phone line a call and wanted to share my findings.

First of all, this is my first Tesla order and I ordered on 7/21/21. I ordered MX LR W/W/6/22/no FSD. Original EDD Jan-Feb. Updated to Jan in August and then to Feb on 12/8/21 like almost everyone else.

When I spoke to Fremont, they looked up my order based on my phone number and RN115345XXX and told me that I’m looking at July delivery. He said it’s a good thing that I’m a 6-seater or I’d be waiting until 2023 for a 5 or 7 seater.

A little shocked, I asked if he was sure about his estimates since the app and website show February. He said based on their algorithm and production predictions, July is what my EDD is looking to be.

Do we know how accurate the predictions in Fremont are? I certainly don’t expect or hope to get my reservation before some of you who have been waiting much longer than me. I was just hoping for a huge production ramp up where we could all receive our X’s this quarter.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.