Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The six-seater is really cool, but I understand it's not for everyone. Having said that, It's more versatile than people give it credit for.

For what it's worth, my Model X Plaid is my second six-seat Model X. My first was a 2019 P100D, which I unloaded for my 2022. This configuration has served me well, and from my perspective, I've never felt like the configuration was a compromise. Mind you, I'm not a "camp in my car" type of guy (although the HVAC feature for sleeping in the car seems nice), and definitely won't be hauling sheets of plywood in the premium interior of this beast.

I take a lot of long-distance road trips. I live in San Francisco, and also have property in Palm Springs, and prefer to drive between them (~500 miles each way) for long weekends, etc., and we often take another couple with us. The six seat config is perfect for that. The second-row mono-post captains seats are more comfortable / supportive than bench seats (for a long road trip), and I use the space between them for a powered fridge where I keep cold drinks and snacks. Storage has never been a problem (luggage for four people). I keep the third row seats folded down, and that space provides plenty of room for most large items. I combine that with the under-floor storage in the trunk, and the ample room in the frunk (which can accommodate items as large as roll-aboard luggage), and I've never wanted for more space.
Thanks for your thoughts on the 6 seater switch. Of course I took the deal but I am still grousing over their paternal attitude and we know what is best for you approach. Reading your comments and going back over the forum for other insights during the upgrade to six seats and get your car sooner debacle, I actually feel better about the outcome. I too have a pickup, albeit a semi antique 1978 one, And I obviously do use that for plywood and lumber and such and not the S. Not really planning the sleep over’s either.Thanks again for your detailed reporting and this perspective.

When you say increase in charging speed, it’s not really charging any faster. It’s delivering the same amount of amps. The higher “speed” you see is just the more efficient motor getting more miles out of the same amount of electricity.
Um what now…
When charging with the Tesla Wall Connector or at the Sueprchargers, the car displays the voltage, amps, and mph as in miles “added to the battery” per hour. Motor efficiency is not used in this context.

The Refresh X has the higher energy density Panasonic 18650 batteries (compared to older S and X) and the upgraded battery management system allows more power into (and out of) the battery pack (again compared to older S/X).
So the increased 34 “mph” compared to 30 “mph” when using the Tesla Wall Connector is a nice find!

Refresh X and S can Supercharge to 250kW at the V3 chargers while the Ravens only went up to 200kW and even older S/X tapped out at (I think) 150kW.

Last edited:
Um what now…
When charging with the Tesla Wall Connector or at the Sueprchargers, the car displays the voltage, amps, and mph as in miles “added to the battery” per hour. Motor efficiency is not used in this context.

The Refresh X has the higher energy density Panasonic 18650 batteries (compared to older S and X) and the upgraded battery management system allows more power into (and out of) the battery pack (again compared to older S/X).
So the increased 34 “mph” compared to 30 “mph” when using the Tesla Wall Connector is a nice find!

Refresh X and S can Supercharge to 250kW at the V3 chargers while the Ravens only went up to 200kW and even older S/X tapped out at (I think) 150kW.

Try 90kw for 85 A packs.

Reactions: ThortsMD
Thanks for your thoughts on the 6 seater switch. Of course I took the deal but I am still grousing over their paternal attitude and we know what is best for you approach. Reading your comments and going back over the forum for other insights during the upgrade to six seats and get your car sooner debacle, I actually feel better about the outcome. I too have a pickup, albeit a semi antique 1978 one, And I obviously do use that for plywood and lumber and such and not the S. Not really planning the sleep over’s either.Thanks again for your detailed reporting and this perspective.
One of the main reasons I selected the 5-seater was to be able to sleep in it overnight if needed. I work at a remote but amazingly beautiful site occasionally and it would sure beat a random hotel/motel. I have the Plaid so the 5-seater is no longer an option. Is overnight sleeping in the 6 seater even an option?? I’m seriously considering downgrading the to LR but I know that would add a looong time to my EDD. Thanks!

One of the main reasons I selected the 5-seater was to be able to sleep in it overnight if needed. I work at a remote but amazingly beautiful site occasionally and it would sure beat a random hotel/motel. I have the Plaid so the 5-seater is no longer an option. Is overnight sleeping in the 6 seater even an option?? I’m seriously considering downgrading the to LR but I know that would add a looong time to my EDD. Thanks!
Sleeping in the back of the six seat config isn’t really possible. The “idea” of camping in a car — especially a Tesla that’ll pamper you wrt air comfort, entertainment, etc. — seems practical / fun, but I can’t imagine it’d be a comfortable endeavor. I have seen the mattresses, and other kit, but give me a hotel room any day; if anything, to ensure access to a clean bathroom and shower. But, to each his own 👍🏼

Sleeping in the back of the six seat config isn’t really possible. The “idea” of camping in a car — especially a Tesla that’ll pamper you wrt air comfort, entertainment, etc. — seems practical / fun, but I can’t imagine it’d be a comfortable endeavor. I have seen the mattresses, and other kit, but give me a hotel room any day; if anything, to ensure access to a clean bathroom and shower. But, to each his own 👍🏼
Fair enough haha. Fortunately there are restrooms at the site. But your comment leads me to ask any 5-seaters out there- How ‘nice’ is it to sleep in a 5 seater? Keep in mind I only am planning on a one night sleep at a time.

I know a lot of full paid 6-seaters are annoyed at the free upgrade for others, and rightfully so, but there are without a doubt people like me who are really unhappy with being forced into a seat config change. For me, the 5 seat was perfect for multiple reasons.

Hello there; Raven X owner here. Saying they go to 200 kW is... Generous. If the temperature is perfect, Elon's in a good mood, and Mercury is in retrograde, 200 kW may flash for the briefest of moments. Normally the car can maintain ~150 kW for a bit, and is below 100 kW by the time 50% is in the rearview mirror. It's a stark contrast to our Model 3. I hope the new X performs better for you all.

And that they eventually get another range boost so I can justify replacing mine when our RV trailer comes in later this year...

Fair enough haha. Fortunately there are restrooms at the site. But your comment leads me to ask any 5-seaters out there- How ‘nice’ is it to sleep in a 5 seater? Keep in mind I only am planning on a one night sleep at a time.

I know a lot of full paid 6-seaters are annoyed at the free upgrade for others, and rightfully so, but there are without a doubt people like me who are really unhappy with being forced into a seat config change. For me, the 5 seat was perfect for multiple reasons.
I've camped multiple times in our 7-seat X with my daughters and a TesMat. It's actually pretty comfortable considering you're in a car.

Um what now…

Yes! I can attest to the speed at Superchargers in the refreshed MX. As many of you know, I owned a 2019 MX P100D before my MX Plaid, and I drive frequently between San Francisco and Southern California. Over the recent holidays (before I took delivery of my MX Plaid), my P100D was in for service so I rented a refreshed MX LR to drive for 11 days, and took it down to Southern California. For all the time I had my 2019 MX P100D, my routine on that drive (probably TMI) was to drive until I reached about 10% state of charge and stop at Kettleman City to recharge, enjoy lunch (In-N-Out Burger!) and watch some streaming entertainment on Netflix or Disney+ while eating and charging. I could get through my meal and a 30 minute TV episode before setting off again. My experience in the refreshed MX, while awesome, was somewhat frustrating, because it charged so quickly compared to what I was used to (my 2019), I wasn’t able to get through my meal before being alerted I had enough juice to continue my journey! I charged at 250 from about 11% soc to roughly 40% soc before it started tapering off. I was super impressed! Looking forward to my first road trip in my Plaid in the next few weeks.