Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla makes their own seats in-house so I really don't see why there would be a limitation or a delay in getting X's with 5/7 seat versions. And I don't think it is supply chain-related as they should have all the materials in their seat factory. It's also hard to believe this is just about making a few thousand dollars more per car. The whole seat thing is bewildering.
Tesla makes their own seats in-house so I really don't see why there would be a limitation or a delay in getting X's with 5/7 seat versions. And I don't think it is supply chain-related as they should have all the materials in their seat factory. It's also hard to believe this is just about making a few thousand dollars more per car. The whole seat thing is bewildering.
This would be weird if it was for the money. They offer the upgrade for free and as we see not offering 5/7 leads some folks to rather choose the LR and with that Tesla makes way less in these situations. And now they might give some hundreds of free upgrades. So to me this doesn't seem to be for the money.

This would be weird if it was for the money. They offer the upgrade for free and as we see not offering 5/7 leads some folks to rather choose the LR and with that Tesla makes way less in these situations. And now they might give some hundreds of free upgrades. So to me this doesn't seem to be for the money.
As mentioned before, an intern ordered one more 0 of the pedestal seats and now they have to make all the cars with 6 seats configuration. They have to move these cars before building the 5/7.

As mentioned before, an intern ordered one more 0 of the pedestal seats and now they have to make all the cars with 6 seats configuration. They have to move these cars before building the 5/7.
😂... then it would just depend on the original order. If they intended to buy 100 we should be fine - filling a 1000 should be doable before they come to Europe. If they intended to buy 900 I guess we are screwed here as well. Thanks interns!

Reactions: zapparino
I just got a call from a delivery person in Fremont (I'm doing factory delivery) to say that my VIN (which was assigned on Jan 4th) is in the next batch being prepared for delivery. She could not commit yet to an exact date but said she would get back to me before Tuesday with a more definitive answer. Since I'm flying up from LA to pick it up, I did tell her that as much advanced notice as possible would be appreciated.

Just for information purposes, my car is a Plaid that was originally a 5 seater but changed to a 6 seater via the "promised by the end of the year call" back in November. My original order date was Jan 27, 2021.

This is why I hesitate for the Plaid since I don't think I would appreciate what carbon sleeved rotors and torque vectoring add to the car so it almost feels like its out of my league with what it offers
So non-plaid doesn’t get carbon-sleeved motors?

I thought Tesla was going to put them in every car, but in the plaid use three (or maybe eventually four).

Reactions: zapparino
I just got a call from a delivery person in Fremont (I'm doing factory delivery) to say that my VIN (which was assigned on Jan 4th) is in the next batch being prepared for delivery. She could not commit yet to an exact date but said she would get back to me before Tuesday with a more definitive answer. Since I'm flying up from LA to pick it up, I did tell her that as much advanced notice as possible would be appreciated.

Just for information purposes, my car is a Plaid that was originally a 5 seater but changed to a 6 seater via the "promised by the end of the year call" back in November. My original order date was Jan 27, 2021.

Congrats! 😒

I am so pumped to find out absolutely nothing about the status of the MX on the 26th when Elon tells us about the updated product roadmap. At least I’m glad I’m not waiting for a new Roadster. You gotta feel bad for those folks
Really excited for the retail questions at the Q4 call asking if Tesla will be entering the E-Jet/Airplane space or if the rumors of the Tesla Phone are true instead of asking where the actual products that are piling up in their test track area are going and why do they hate the X reservation holders so much. 😬

So non-plaid doesn’t get carbon-sleeved motors?

I thought Tesla was going to put them in every car, but in the plaid use three (or maybe eventually four).
My understanding is that Plaid gets different motors than LR. Tesla specifically calls them "...high performance motors with carbon-sleeved rotors." This was the breakthrough Musk spoke about during his presentation at the Plaid S delivery event in Fremont. The carbon-sleeved rotors are what contribute to the sub 2 second 0-60 time in the Plaid S and the 2.5 second 0-60 time in the Plaid X.

Got the text from my local SA (bless his heart for actually updating me). He texted
SA: nothing new on your account.
Me: really cause my app shows March now, seems like an update to me
SA calls- yeah I see that now and it is still in build plan phase but it has a date that it’s scheduled to leave the factory April 15. I’m thinking that will move up though.
Me: almost uttered cancel my order if my pre fresh order doesn’t get delivered until end of April early may. This is stupid.

My understanding is that Plaid gets different motors than LR. Tesla specifically calls them "...high performance motors with carbon-sleeved rotors." This was the breakthrough Musk spoke about during his presentation at the Plaid S delivery event in Fremont. The carbon-sleeved rotors are what contribute to the sub 2 second 0-60 time in the Plaid S and the 2.5 second 0-60 time in the Plaid X.

They're more efficient than the motors used in the LR hence why their wh/mile difference between LR and Plaid for the same size tires is so close. At some point, they'll need to bring the to LR as the next dial to turn for increasing LR range even further.

• Informative
Reactions: BryWay