Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a California native -- born and raised. Born in SoCal (Los Angeles) and ultimately found my way to San Francisco. When I lived in LA, I got a promotion which required me to move to Texas (Dallas) to work at the corporate headquarters of the company I worked for at the time. Dallas was OK, great food, good entertainment (huge sports fan here), the people were nice, etc. But after the first couple of months, I started to regret the move. Sure, taxes were cheaper... but they were cheaper THERE. I missed the beaches, the mountains, the weather, and that feeling I was in the middle of the action -- my beloved California. Obviously it's based on my own circumstances, and is subjective, but I just felt lost, and that was a heavy thing I didn't anticipate. I lived there four years before I jumped ship to join another company willing to relocate me back to California (San Francisco). If I was born in Texas and had family and a lifetime of friendships there, I'd obviously have felt different.
Oh, I'm not debating the scenery. As far as weather and local beauty goes, California is amazing. Texas is better when it comes to food and people (except Dallas). But not to hate on Dallas, or Houston, Austin is THE place to beat in Texas. If the wife would allow me to move to Cali, I would in a split second. Especially being a tech industry guy (CTO & Data Scientist). Not to mention I'd get my Tesla a LOT faster. But I don't control my life and I let the wife take care of that. I just provide the money and every now and then, a few laughs and I'm good to go. Living the good life. If she ever gets tired of me, and I hope she doesn't, you will find me roaming the street in Cali.... maybe even San Fran.

Texas is better when it comes to food and people (except Dallas). But not to hate on Dallas, or Houston, Austin is THE place to beat in Texas.
California has 13 Michelin 3 star restaurants. Texas, not so many! But Austin does have a great music scene. 😉

I was born in Oklahoma but lived all over - NorCal, SoCal, Seattle, Florida, Boston, NY, Austria, Australia. Always major cities, of course. No interest in a small town rural lifestyle. Every place has its pros and cons. Everyone should live where they want and my only gripe is people who worry about places where they don’t even live - and never would. My dad lives in Florida and he spends an inordinate amount of time telling me how bad California is to live. Did I mention he lives in Florida? Yeah. That’s right. Florida.

California has 13 Michelin 3 star restaurants. Texas, not so many! But Austin does have a great music scene. 😉

I was born in Oklahoma but lived all over - NorCal, SoCal, Seattle, Florida, Boston, NY, Austria, Australia. Always major cities, of course. No interest in a small town rural lifestyle. Every place has its pros and cons. Everyone should live where they want and my only gripe is people who worry about places where they don’t even live - and never would. My dad lives in Florida and he spends an inordinate amount of time telling me how bad California is to live. Did I mention he lives in Florida? Yeah. That’s right. Florida.

Small world, I was born in OK too. Near Shawnee.

If they're trying to optimize for 'strong' Q1 delivery numbers, it makes sense they would try to focus on quick turnaround deliveries by reducing the logistics. e.g., CA / Bay Area. Which is not to say, I think that's the right approach - at least, not when your customers can speak to one another, and get rightfully pissed off at the unfairness.
Yes but that is what they did for a strong Q4 delivery numbers.

I rank my food based on Mexican food and I cannot stand Cali Mexican. Tex Mex is where it's at. We should do a MX reunion at a Michelin 3 star restaurant. I'd be game to visit a few. The last one I visited was in Scotland at a place called Kitchin I think. Great food.

• Love
Reactions: niogyn and MxTaycan

What’s not to love about Florida? Great weather, No state taxes, great food, etc…

While the stars at night are big and bright, none of the stars in Texas are Michelin Stars...and the reason is simple: Michelin doesn’t publish a restaurant guide here! You’ll only find starred restaurants in New York City, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco and the Bay Area, Chicago, and Washington, D.C., where the company does publish.

Like many of the folks here, I travel all over the world for work and I have to once again agree with @Stro: TexMex is proof positive God loves us and wants us to be happy.

I've only ever had the 22's (2019 MX P100D and 2022 MX Plaid) and have never had an issue. In the three years I owned the 2019, I only changed the rear tires once... fronts were original / factory when I sold it, and I put nearly 40K miles on the car in that three year period , having driven in pothole-laden San Francisco and Los Angeles a LOT.

Of course, I hope I didn't just jinx myself.
Coming from someone who has lived and driven in LA, NY, NJ and frequently visited San Fran. You haven't seen pothole ridden streets compared to the northeast. The weather change/winters are brutal to the roads. Would be crazy to get 22s in the northeast.

That said, I have had multiple Xs with stock 19s as well as Y 20s and 3 in 18s in the northeast. The Xs I drove had very good even tire wear across the front and rear that lasted almost 40k miles on the stock tires.

The 3 and Y on the other hand lasted much shorter with much heavier wear in the rear. They must be more rear biased.

In fact the 20s on my Y i did a cross country road trip and i was down to 7% tread by 10k miles on the rear. I should have rotated the tires but was too late. The fronts fared much better.

Now that I am in so cal, I am getting 22s as the roads in the OC are a dream

Someone here hundreds of pages back asked about the ambient lighting in the refreshed Model X. I took one from the outside (with FWD open and am using that as my avatar here) but neglected to get an inside shot. I snapped a an inside pic in my MX Plaid this evening when getting back from an errand. As I mentioned pages ago, it's very subtle and isn't all... you know... "disco" compared to it's luxury competition. It's all business; tasteful. There's a short strip under the armrest, subtle light in the door bin, and subtle lighting in the footwell for passenger and driver.

View attachment 755830
As always, I really appreciate this detailed information. It was rumored that the ambient lighting was a victim of parts shortages as in the. S.

I know we’re going way off topic here (but what else can we do right now). I’m from CA. I like it. If you’re from TX or another state and like it, that’s great too. But what I never get is how people outside CA, especially those who’ve never lived here, think they know everything about here.

First, the misinformation. “Ohhh, the taxes”. Taxes on what? Income tax? Well I’ll gladly pay 6-7% state income tax on a $350k salary vs 0% on $250k. Most jobs here pay higher by quite a bit. Property tax? It’s 1%. It’s like 3% everywhere else I’ve lived.

Cost of living is high. Yea, it’s obviously higher than the national average. But also, not everyone here lives in SF and LA. We have actual normal towns too. Don’t judge the entire state by clickbait articles about SF housing.

Anyway, I could go on and on about the misinformation about CA, but I’m getting way off topic.

I know we’re going way off topic here (but what else can we do right now). I’m from CA. I like it. If you’re from TX or another state and like it, that’s great too. But what I never get is how people outside CA, especially those who’ve never lived here, think they know everything about here.

First, the misinformation. “Ohhh, the taxes”. Taxes on what? Income tax? Well I’ll gladly pay 6-7% state income tax on a $350k salary vs 0% on $250k. Most jobs here pay higher by quite a bit. Property tax? It’s 1%. It’s like 3% everywhere else I’ve lived.

Cost of living is high. Yea, it’s obviously higher than the national average. But also, not everyone here lives in SF and LA. We have actual normal towns too. Don’t judge the entire state by clickbait articles about SF housing.

Anyway, I could go on and on about the misinformation about CA, but I’m getting way off topic.

I’d rather be dead in California than alive in ______.

46723A61-E6AE-47EA-BBD3-EEC4EEA61A80.jpeg

While the stars at night are big and bright, none of the stars in Texas are Michelin Stars...and the reason is simple: Michelin doesn’t publish a restaurant guide here! You’ll only find starred restaurants in New York City, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco and the Bay Area, Chicago, and Washington, D.C., where the company does publish.

Like many of the folks here, I travel all over the world for work and I have to once again agree with @Stro: TexMex is proof positive God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Gonna have to agree with that wholeheartedly! Great TexMex in Texas. Even the so-so TexMex (Uncle Julio’s) was good! I do miss that about living in Texas. I lived in the Turtle Creek area of Dallas, and would have to sneak over to Uncle Julio’s in Oaklawn because my co-workers (indigenous Texans) thumbed their noses at it haha!

Reactions: face4radio and Stro