Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
11//30/20 has got to be one of the oldest order dates for a 5/7 seat still pending, so makes sense to see movement.
I can beat that by one day...have 11/29/20. 5 seater plaid. But fair enough in Europe so I will shut up and go back into the queue.

Has anyone with a plaid order from Europe heard anything from Tesla about 5/7 seater and changing to 6 seater? Or is this all still a US only topic as I would assume?

Long Range

Yes, Peabody.
I called Tesla and they transferred me to Dedham's showroom. The Tesla employee told me the following:
- I am still eligible for the $2,000 discount
- I will see it about 72 hours prior to delivery on the updated MVPA

I didn't start lurking until I got my phone call to change my configuration from 7 to 6 seats. Luckily, out of blind luck I found the page where someone had showed their MVPA and it's under Section 1, Article C.

I'll keep an eye out 72 hours prior to delivery.

Tesla being Tesla. I asked if there's any way I can leave the car parked if it's snowing since I believe the 22" wheels only come in a summer tire configuration. He gave me some BS where it's "safe" to drive with summer tires but "don't do it too often because you might crack the tires." Oh lawd..... I kept firm with my request and he told me I can reschedule my pick up date if I have to.

I guess, worst case I can call a tow truck.

If you've driven in the snow with summer tires on, you know how it is.

Thank you for the replies guys.

I'd order a winter set from Tire Rack to the store and make them swap it out. You can fold down the seats and fit 4 wheels and tires in there (not sure about 22s but I can do 19s).

Get mobile to do a swap when it's warm to the summer fun tires.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Anybody know what tires come on the MXP with 20s? I recall that the 22s come with Conti SportContact 6s. Is that also true of the 20s or do they come with all seasons?

Also, I've been lurking since last month. For those interested, original order 10/20 -- MX LR, 6 seat, Blue/Black, 22", FSD. Confirmed transferring order to refreshed MX in 2/21. Was asked to update config last month and decided to change order to MXP, 20", no FSD (all else same). Had been Feb EDD then switched to March with everyone else. Yesterday got a (more) specific EDD: Jan 22 - Feb 12. No VIN, so expect that tomorrow I'll get pushed a day (or three... or more).
I just saw a MXP at the Salt Lake SC (not mine) with 20” wheels, and it had Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tires, which are summer tires. Guess I will be scrambling to find all seasons. Just did this 2 months ago with my MYP. Hopefully all seasons are easier to find for the X.

They said they had received 4 MX so far-all Plaids.

View attachment 758836

And so it begins… Delivery got pushed back, so the dates are, in fact, bullshit. Just more specific bullshit.
Consider yourself lucky. To some extent! 🤪 Personally I’d be excited to see “more specific BS” in my account. I mean we’re basically caught in Imagination Station so it’d be nice to have something to tantalize the imagination…
😝🤓

Reactions: DelPhonic1
The lack of communication from Tesla has always been the main source of stress here:
  • Q1: when will Tesla ship any refreshed Model X? This was finally answered when they started to ship in Q4 2021.
  • Q2: when will Tesla ship the Plaid Model X? IIRC, the first ones shipped late in Q4 2021, with more in Q1 2022.
  • Q3: will Tesla ship any 5- or 7-seat configurations, and if so, when? With the announcement that Plaid is now only available in 6-seats, this is the current mystery.
At least we have each other to commiserate.
Nice summary!

Reactions: niogyn
I just saw a MXP at the Salt Lake SC (not mine) with 20” wheels, and it had Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tires, which are summer tires. Guess I will be scrambling to find all seasons. Just did this 2 months ago with my MYP. Hopefully all seasons are easier to find for the X.

They said they had received 4 MX so far-all Plaids.
Great Intel, thanks. Looks like I'll be in the same boat as you, assuming the delivery timeline sticks for me.

Same here with 7 seat plaid order. I’m near Fremont and the local store reps don’t know anything about free seat upgrades. Typical Tesla. Im quite sure we’ll get the calls eventually but who the heck knows when!
Bizarre how this upgrade is disseminated. targeted one order at a time?

I just want to be called asap as it sounds like you have to get on the plaid queue again once they change your seat. Really not sure how they decide who to call first.

Long Range

Yes, Peabody.
I called Tesla and they transferred me to Dedham's showroom. The Tesla employee told me the following:
- I am still eligible for the $2,000 discount
- I will see it about 72 hours prior to delivery on the updated MVPA

I didn't start lurking until I got my phone call to change my configuration from 7 to 6 seats. Luckily, out of blind luck I found the page where someone had showed their MVPA and it's under Section 1, Article C.

I'll keep an eye out 72 hours prior to delivery.

Tesla being Tesla. I asked if there's any way I can leave the car parked if it's snowing since I believe the 22" wheels only come in a summer tire configuration. He gave me some BS where it's "safe" to drive with summer tires but "don't do it too often because you might crack the tires." Oh lawd..... I kept firm with my request and he told me I can reschedule my pick up date if I have to.

I guess, worst case I can call a tow truck.

If you've driven in the snow with summer tires on, you know how it is.

Thank you for the replies guys.
I hear you. I have a second set of wheels and tires that I had on my P100D. Still don’t have clarity on whether or not they will fit on the Plaid. As of now, It’s not a pressing issue, since I don’t have a VIN. But hopefully, that will change soon.

Bizarre how this upgrade is disseminated. targeted one order at a time?

I just want to be called asap as it sounds like you have to get on the plaid queue again once they change your seat. Really not sure how they decide who to call first.
Newish orders are getting plaid deliveries lately so I’m not too concerned with any queue. Of course production could shift away from plaids at some point and then there could be a wait.

Newish orders are getting plaid deliveries lately so I’m not too concerned with any queue. Of course production could shift away from plaids at some point and then there could be a wait.
Really not sure how they decide who to call first.
Presumably chronological by order date but mine is August and still no call so not sure.

Lately I seem to see more vins outside of California so maybe they’re planning shipments before EOQ and then lots of local deliveries in March.

The lack of communication from Tesla has always been the main source of stress here:
  • Q1: when will Tesla ship any refreshed Model X? This was finally answered when they started to ship in Q4 2021.
  • Q2: when will Tesla ship the Plaid Model X? IIRC, the first ones shipped late in Q4 2021, with more in Q1 2022.
  • Q3: will Tesla ship any 5- or 7-seat configurations, and if so, when? With the announcement that Plaid is now only available in 6-seats, this is the current mystery.
At least we have each other to commiserate.
Might also add —
  • Q4: Will 5 and 7 seat configurations be canceled for the MX LR, too?