Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Plaid order placed in November just went from EDD August to Feb 3 - 24.
I never intended the Plaid to come before my June 2021 order of the Long Range X (EDD like everyone else with a placeholder of "March") , now I'm torn on what to do.
While the Plaid has my now desired color config, the extra $30k for 20 miles less range is not desirable. I placed the Plaid order thinking it may be a nice resale vehicle later on... now it may be my first chance to get back into a Model X.
The range is 333 versus 348 for LR. I can’t imagine anyone really noticing a 15 mile range difference (which is probably more like 10 in Tesla miles). I’m guessing this is part of why it isn’t actually called LR anymore. It doesn’t have much more range at all. Probably the only range difference would be due to how often you are punching the pedal with complete exhilaration and joy.

Also, I don’t know why anybody is really surprised by all of this. By the time you ordered your Plaid, the Model S refresh did the exact same thing as the X’s are now. All of the Plaid orders were filled in the first couple months while LR orders waited as there were Plaids in inventory.

For those of you in Cali who have been renting while you wait this new company offers model 3s via subscription service

only available in California for now, but they say there will be more locations soon...According to them you can reserve today and pickup tomorrow

Reactions: Tesless
So I picked up my Model X Plaid 6 seater two days ago. What an odd vehicle:

1 - Worst build quality ever. Panel gaps completely off. Paint drips everywhere. Corners are poorly welded and paint chipped. Every Prius that costs one sixth of that car is better.

2 - Interior seems nice - until you realize there is no cooled center console compartment for your drinks. The silly windscreen prevented these idiots from putting in proper interior lights at night - they shine in your back - but was it THAT hard to install a light in the a pillar? You can't see what you eat at night out of the drive through.

3 - White leather lends itself to interior accent or ambient lights in all colors of the rainbow - they would bounce magically off of all the white panels - ONLY THERE ARE NONE. At night, that thing looks like nothingness.

4 - WHAT A SCAM THE 'FULL SELF DRIVE IS' - long story short, the only thing it drives self is the car into a wall. IT DOES NOT CHANGE LANES unless you indicate (where's the stalk???) - it does not exit the freeway and instead gets confused EVERY TIME a lane is added to the road and violently jerks the steering left and right unable to make up its mind. It slows down randomly on auto disengage so the semi trailing you almost hits you from behind. THIS WHOLE THING IS A JOKE and a safety issue! They charge $10k for that?!! It's worse than the lane keep assist and cruise control on my Taycan; and even worse than the cruise control on my 2017 Range Rover that ALWAYS works.

5 - 'FULL SELF DRIVING' is worse than a basic cruise control with distance function! HOW ON EARTH can Tesla not just have a basic cruise control?!! It's FSD or nothing. Completely nuts.

6 - Range. Why on earth does the car show 280 miles range, and after you drive 100 miles, you arrive at your destination that should have around 180 miles range left with less than 60 miles?!!! The range calculation is inaccurate at best and criminally misleading most of the time.

7 - Recuperation. It's non-existent. True, the silly clown vehicle slows down like crazy the moment you take your foot off the accelerator (or the 'FSD' decides to quit on you - which it did EVERY SINGLE TIME I overtook a semi yesterday. BUT THE RANGE NEVER GOES UP, even driving 5 miles coasting downhill into Las Vegas from the mountains. WHERE DOES THE ENERGY GO???
8 - How it is even legal to have that crappy yoke is beyond me. At night, you WILL grip into the dark - only to find nothing. How is it even legal to put the indicator as a button on the yoke?! I'm no idiot - but I had to think which way to indicate.

Had I moved from a 96 Toyota Tacoma to this car, I would think it's the best thing ever. But having waited for this anomaly for a year is a joke. I could keep going - FRUNK?? How on earth do you close that without breaking the hood? Paint job on the undersurface is a joke - you can see where the spray didn't quite reach. Corners are poorly painted, if at all, and they are chipping already.

To charge $150k for this vehicle is theft of $70k. And even at $80k, this clown car would be overpriced.

It didn't help that the morons at the Tesla delivery center screwed a paper temp tag on the car on delivery day without so much as giving me a license plate frame with the $150k purchase; of course, the wind sheared off the temp tag on the first time on the freeway, so I have no tag on the vehicle now. Good riddance, I won't drive it anyways.

Well, I learned my lesson. For all those of you who need a vehicle to race down a drag strip every day going 0-60 in two seconds, this is your car. I suspect there is not a lot of folks out there matching that demographic.

For most of us, think twice before wasting $150k on a $80k experimental anomaly with poor build quality.
I think Chevrolet Bolt will be a better car for you. It is just the opposite of what you described:oops:

I never intended the Plaid to come before my June 2021 order of the Long Range X (EDD like everyone else with a placeholder of "March") , now I'm torn on what to do.
While the Plaid has my now desired color config, the extra $30k for 20 miles less range is not desirable. I placed the Plaid order thinking it may be a nice resale vehicle later on... now it may be my first chance to get back into a Model X.
I am in the same boat (5/4 LR order, 8/12 Plaid order), now with a Plaid VIN. My wife doesn’t need the performance of the Plaid, but I think it will be nice to have. Also, I am worried that if I decline the Plaid, it will be an even longer wait to get the LR.

Interesting. Here in St. Louis, my window is 2/1-2/21. Wonder if the truck comes here first and swings up to Chicago?

Reactions: Tesless
Maybe a little trollish here? In Aug you said you cancelled your order. Nothing but negative posts.

"This whole Tesla thing is a joke. I cancelled my Model X order back in April when it was apparent this is nothing but a scam. If you fancy yourself a car company - DELIVER THE EFFING CAR.
I drive a Taycan now - and boy, is that an amazing ride. I have an EQS on order - and both are actually nice inside and luxurious. Tesla is yesterday - As long as Musk is more focused on daydreaming and going to Mars than delivering vehicles, nothing will change. And all those morons funding this guy by pumping money in Tesla stock will have a rude awakening. Musk did not invent anything - electric motors and lithium batteries have been around for decades and centuries. To pack it into a vehicle with software brains is a short throw away from what was pre-existing, and Musk had his few years in the spotlight. Now, shoot the guy to Mars and move on with vehicles that actually exist and are built to the standards we have become accustomed to."
Simple, They bought tesla stock at its peak and are now salty they lost half of the money😆

Like most of you, I check my EDD multiple times a day and reading this forum has become a bedtime routine 😀. However, looking at the $TSLA, this could be blessing in disguise. I was paying cash for the car instead I am now considering taking a loan and invest the cash buying TSLA....thoughts?
Most people believe the market drop is likely to continue for a while. Tesla is down 51 pts, -5% this AM.

Maybe a little trollish here? In Aug you said you cancelled your order. Nothing but negative posts.

"This whole Tesla thing is a joke. I cancelled my Model X order back in April when it was apparent this is nothing but a scam. If you fancy yourself a car company - DELIVER THE EFFING CAR.
I drive a Taycan now - and boy, is that an amazing ride. I have an EQS on order - and both are actually nice inside and luxurious. Tesla is yesterday - As long as Musk is more focused on daydreaming and going to Mars than delivering vehicles, nothing will change. And all those morons funding this guy by pumping money in Tesla stock will have a rude awakening. Musk did not invent anything - electric motors and lithium batteries have been around for decades and centuries. To pack it into a vehicle with software brains is a short throw away from what was pre-existing, and Musk had his few years in the spotlight. Now, shoot the guy to Mars and move on with vehicles that actually exist and are built to the standards we have become accustomed to."
If It walks like a 🦆 and quacks like a 🦆... it's a 🦆

I'm pissed off it's been taking so long and LR 5 seaters are going to be last in line even when some of us were first to order but I'm still going to get my car. But I will be very vocal if it's a *sugar* show like some other's we've seen.

Time will tell.

One datapoint to add on LR deliveries, via Facebook.

South Florida, 6-seater, MXLR, white/white, 22", ordered 6/2021. Has a VIN (presumably) and a 2/13-3/6 EDD.

272373779_10166254712050161_7867858789722041462_n.jpeg

One datapoint to add on LR deliveries, via Facebook.

South Florida, 6-seater, MXLR, white/white, 22", ordered 6/2021. Has a VIN (presumably) and a 2/13-3/6 EDD.

View attachment 759558
That's great, but I continue to not get it. Can't follow the logic. Ordered in March and have elusive March EDD and please who ordered before me with no Vin in sight!

Last edited:

Can't really agree with you!

The proof is this: TODAY, no one has been able to deliver a total solution that comes anywhere close to what Tesla is selling today!!!

Can you please share screen shot of your "due bill"?
Why
So I picked up my Model X Plaid 6 seater two days ago. What an odd vehicle:

1 - Worst build quality ever. Panel gaps completely off. Paint drips everywhere. Corners are poorly welded and paint chipped. Every Prius that costs one sixth of that car is better.

2 - Interior seems nice - until you realize there is no cooled center console compartment for your drinks. The silly windscreen prevented these idiots from putting in proper interior lights at night - they shine in your back - but was it THAT hard to install a light in the a pillar? You can't see what you eat at night out of the drive through.

3 - White leather lends itself to interior accent or ambient lights in all colors of the rainbow - they would bounce magically off of all the white panels - ONLY THERE ARE NONE. At night, that thing looks like nothingness.

4 - WHAT A SCAM THE 'FULL SELF DRIVE IS' - long story short, the only thing it drives self is the car into a wall. IT DOES NOT CHANGE LANES unless you indicate (where's the stalk???) - it does not exit the freeway and instead gets confused EVERY TIME a lane is added to the road and violently jerks the steering left and right unable to make up its mind. It slows down randomly on auto disengage so the semi trailing you almost hits you from behind. THIS WHOLE THING IS A JOKE and a safety issue! They charge $10k for that?!! It's worse than the lane keep assist and cruise control on my Taycan; and even worse than the cruise control on my 2017 Range Rover that ALWAYS works.

5 - 'FULL SELF DRIVING' is worse than a basic cruise control with distance function! HOW ON EARTH can Tesla not just have a basic cruise control?!! It's FSD or nothing. Completely nuts.

6 - Range. Why on earth does the car show 280 miles range, and after you drive 100 miles, you arrive at your destination that should have around 180 miles range left with less than 60 miles?!!! The range calculation is inaccurate at best and criminally misleading most of the time.

7 - Recuperation. It's non-existent. True, the silly clown vehicle slows down like crazy the moment you take your foot off the accelerator (or the 'FSD' decides to quit on you - which it did EVERY SINGLE TIME I overtook a semi yesterday. BUT THE RANGE NEVER GOES UP, even driving 5 miles coasting downhill into Las Vegas from the mountains. WHERE DOES THE ENERGY GO???
8 - How it is even legal to have that crappy yoke is beyond me. At night, you WILL grip into the dark - only to find nothing. How is it even legal to put the indicator as a button on the yoke?! I'm no idiot - but I had to think which way to indicate.

Had I moved from a 96 Toyota Tacoma to this car, I would think it's the best thing ever. But having waited for this anomaly for a year is a joke. I could keep going - FRUNK?? How on earth do you close that without breaking the hood? Paint job on the undersurface is a joke - you can see where the spray didn't quite reach. Corners are poorly painted, if at all, and they are chipping already.

To charge $150k for this vehicle is theft of $70k. And even at $80k, this clown car would be overpriced.

It didn't help that the morons at the Tesla delivery center screwed a paper temp tag on the car on delivery day without so much as giving me a license plate frame with the $150k purchase; of course, the wind sheared off the temp tag on the first time on the freeway, so I have no tag on the vehicle now. Good riddance, I won't drive it anyways.

Well, I learned my lesson. For all those of you who need a vehicle to race down a drag strip every day going 0-60 in two seconds, this is your car. I suspect there is not a lot of folks out there matching that demographic.

For most of us, think twice before wasting $150k on a $80k experimental anomaly with poor build quality.
Thank you so much for your honest reviews. I strongly believe in those you just said. Tesla quality is very bad. Ignoring the fact that I like home charging and I do not have to fill gas tank at gas stations. I do not know why people are targeting you for your reviews but thanks. It is very useful information.

Why

Thank you so much for your honest reviews. I strongly believe in those you just said. Tesla quality is very bad. Ignoring the fact that I like home charging and I do not have to fill gas tank at gas stations. I do not know why people are targeting you for your reviews but thanks. It is very useful information.
There are def things he mentions that are untrue especially around regen and energy usage.

Quality, yes there are issues but most can be fixed by service center...

dude sounds like a troll especially if you look at his post history

There are def things he mentions that are untrue especially around regen and energy usage.

Quality, yes there are issues but most can be fixed by service center...

dude sounds like a troll especially if you look at his post history
People still expecting the consistent build quality and strict tolerances of a legacy car manufacturer from a company that's only been in business <20 years (and has only really been making cars truly at scale for ~4 of those years). Now, customer service, however - that's a legitimate gripe. 😜