Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S has more space and cargo room than Y and most SUVs. Not buying it. Tesla just has new S rolling out for half a year and no Xs for 13 months and counting. It'll change for the X once the LR hits any volume.

My S trade in was 49800 2 months ago and dropped 5k last week. I was totally fine with nearly 50k but 44800 sucks.

You couldn't pay me for a 3. You can fit kids and road trip stuff much less day to day life like Costco. S is cavernous and so sexy.

I think demand is also tempered by 400k Ss made over a decade vs 250k Xs total.
The sales figure are that when both cars were in full production, the X outsold the S. This has been true since about 2018 2 years after the X was introduced. If you look at Tesla sales pre-pandemic, in Q4 2019 Tesla sold 5,500 Xs and 3,750 S. Total sales are skewed because the S was the only Tesla full production vehicle until 2016.

Also, just look on the road and count the number of large sedans (BMW 5/7. Mercedes S, Cadillac) versus SUV/CUVs from the same brands. In general, people want the size, interior space, upright seating position, and versatility of SUV/CUVs.

• Informative
Reactions: rdmdriving
I’m thinking that more with Q1- ‘21 orders will get their VINs for February if you had a trade in. Once the 30 day valuation runs out, your car is viewed as a year older from the last valuation in Dec. Tesla probably didn’t want to take the hit for the value dropping with so many LR orders and just waited til they ran out so we would take the $3-4k+ drop.
Dude you win for best avatar LMAO!

Just got a call about my 5 seat plaid reservation, offered to change it to 6 seat for no extra charge. I wonder if that's because I am at current pricing (I ordered in June, but I don't believe there have been any changes to the base price aside from 6 seat standard now) Will be curious if that changes my March EDD

Reactions: FLScubaLife
The post from daycruiser was provocative, but not entirely wrong:
  • “Worst build quality ever” - an exaggeration, but Tesla ”quality” is often below expectations for a $60K car, let alone a $100K car.
  • “WHAT A SCAM THE 'FULL SELF DRIVE IS'” - more hyperbole, but I have to say that my experience with FSD after a month in my 2018 X is that it over promises and underdelivers. FSD is very nice for highway driving, full stop. On city streets, it makes more mistakes than when my son had his learner’s permit. And the few times that auto park recognizes a parking space, it’s so slow that other cars are honking at me.
  • “Range“ - If I took delivery in the cold of winter, I might also be disappointed that the range falls short of promises.
  • “How it is even legal to have that crappy yoke is beyond me” - I find myself agreeing again here. I’m sure we fanboys will all get used to it, but ultimately, the yoke is an answer to a question that nobody asked.

I have no regrets owning my 2nd Tesla, with an order for a 3rd. But I also don’t pretend that Teslas are perfect.
Agreed except for the yoke and FSD. Are you talking about the Beta? If so, also compare with any other make and what that other make is doing better to achieve your displeasure with Tesla FSD. I think the yoke and dash design are a work of art. And I like works of art usually. The yoke specifically, is what pushed me to press 'buy' even though the 4680 and 500 mile range hadn't made it into the car yet. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I don’t think dates are sticking. Most have shifted back. I started with 21 Jan - 6 Feb. Then when I got to 22 Jan, it changed to 24 Jan - 9 Feb. Then today on 25 Jan, it changed to 27 Jan - 12 Feb. I don’t have a VIN.

It’s almost worse than having a TBD because I actually started to list my car for sale because of the explicit near term dates. Now I’m just slow rolling buyers and not budging on price until I get an actual VIN.
Pushed back for the third time. What the hell is going on over in Fremont? Why won’t anyone pick up their ****ing phone? Why can’t I get a single answer out of anyone that I eventually get a hold of?

I don’t blame Tesla for a global supply chain issue; however, they CHOOSE how to engage and treat customers.
You were right @niogyn, just specific BS lol

I believe we were both VIN’d 1/4. It’s now three weeks and nobody has reached out. Original EDD was 1/19-1/23 so these specific timelines are not accurate either.

Might as well go back to month EDD placeholders

Reactions: niogyn
My guess is Tesla will just act blind and deliver your second higher priced order. They will be under pressure to increase QoQ revenue from Fremont and Shanghai till Berlin or Austin start production at which point the additional volume should take care of the revenue target
I'm hoping that would be the case. Maybe I should go ahead and order the Plaid like I've been thinking.

There is no jumping to conclusions about this. Tesla has almost ALWAYS prioritized highest margin vehicles first when figuring out deliveries. This was the case going back to 2015/2016 and is true today. If you order a performance model Tesla 3 or Y you will get it sooner before people ahead of you that have orders of long ranges.

By this logic Tesla would be prioritizing manufacture and delivery of S/X over 3/Y if we basing this move on margin alone.
Exactly-- focus is 3/Y. 3/Y has always been Tesla's priority since '17 when the 3 first came out. 3/Y is the game changer in beginning to dominate the car market with sustainable energy vehicles, as well as the bottom line. You see it also in the hardware updates that come out first for 3/Y. They do like to deliver the more expensive versions of each, but if you really reflect on the data, they want to get out as many cars as they can, as fast as they can.

Last edited:
Today was my one year order anniversary. I paid $6,500 extra for the 6 seat configuration, and was promised my car by December. It’s raining Plaids for people who ordered weeks ago, got a free 6 seat upgrade, and were never promised anything. I'm with Stro, I’ve checked out.

I’m close to checking out (and I have a Plaid in order).
I'm on the verge as well. Currently, MY EDD is March and MX 02/2021 order is "Mar 2022". My 5mos with Volvo Care is Mar 15 and I can cancel to get another car. Contemplating between the following:

1. MY LR
2. Volvo XC90 (but didn't like XC60 seat, not too comfortable on a long road trip)
3. BMW X5
4. Genesis GV80

Those who have checked out, what is your alternative?

Ordered Apple iPhone with the estimated delivery date in the next month. It was delivered next day! Ordered Tesla Model X in 2020 with the estimated delivery date in 2020. Still, the car hasn’t been delivered in 2022…
lol… I ordered an iPad and it took several months (ok not a year but still, it’s just the center screen of a model X basically lol) and dealing with Apple was unexpectedly a huge hassle (they were nice but my order kept disappearing in their system etc) and the iPad had to be shipped from China and it has been weird and glitchy since I received it.

Reactions: CoryMD
Just got a call about my 5 seat plaid reservation, offered to change it to 6 seat for no extra charge. I wonder if that's because I am at current pricing (I ordered in June, but I don't believe there have been any changes to the base price aside from 6 seat standard now) Will be curious if that changes my March EDD
EDD is just an Estimate. And like all estimates is subject to change. Until we get a VIN we really don't have any date we can depend on.

lol… I ordered an iPad and it took several months (ok not a year but still, it’s just the center screen of a model X basically lol) and dealing with Apple was unexpectedly a huge hassle (they were nice but my order kept disappearing in their system etc) and the iPad had to be shipped from China and it has been weird and glitchy since I received it.
You should take it into your local Apple Store and have them fix it or replace it. And almost all Apple devices ship from China where they are assembled.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
There is no jumping to conclusions about this. Tesla has almost ALWAYS prioritized highest margin vehicles first when figuring out deliveries. This was the case going back to 2015/2016 and is true today. If you order a performance model Tesla 3 or Y you will get it sooner before people ahead of you that have orders of long ranges.

If you are in a rush, i've always figured you just have to load up your tesla with options.

I still prefer this over going to a dealer. Aside from the $6,500 seat option with the fake promise of early delivery...at least with Tesla you know the price you will pay for a car. Its kind of like the Carmax model where there is no price discussion.

With traditional car dealers they have insane markups right now at least in so cal.
This logic is one of the reasons why I ordered a new Y instead of a Toyota Prius or RAV back in November. Not knowing when the X was coming, we needed a 2nd car.

Talking to the Toyota dealer, not only did they not have any stock or any specific delivery dates, we were haggling how much over MSRP the car would be... The pricing difference between what they were selling and the fixed price model Y, pushed me over the edge - and we just ordered and eventually received it a couple of weeks ago.