Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  1. For me, a car should emphasize function over style. I'm sure I will get used to the yoke, but I doubt I will prefer it.
  2. I don't run beta software for any mission-critical system. I prefer my cars not to crash into things, thank you very much.
Function is having an unobstructed view of the binnacle. And control over the car I'm told is better with the yoke. And new owners say that somehow it feels better to hold. Of course the buttons are not the greatest, but at least they're fixing the horn honk button.

I have a 2021 MY and the same issues. I agree about Tesla Vision. Lots of inclement weather this time of year in upstate NY and I am constantly getting warnings when driving that my car can’t see. Well no *sugar* it’s either a blizzard or raining a lot. Miss having radar.
The problem with radar is it is very low resolution, it can see large metal objects like vehicles. But it completely ignores pedestrians, bicycles let alone a dog, cat or squirrel. I’ve been impressed how well Tesla Vision actually works. Yes it goes in the tank during very bad weather, but then so does the driver. It’s probably time to slow down or stop in those conditions.

as someone who had the yoke i prefer a reg steering wheel and stalk. It is slightly more comfortable when you are just cruising along...and have better visibility of your front screen.

The biggest negative for me was the lack of a turn stalk...
i can manage the rest of it

Also would prefer that the steering wheel was slightly thinner. The yoke is somewhat thick to the point where it is hard to get a full grasp around it. This is fine on a regular steering wheel because you have more to grab in an emergency. But because you have less steering wheel to grab, i would prefer that the portions you can grab, you can wrap your entire hand around it.

@niogyn @Miyakudude
Spoke with Fremont delivery center just now…

They confirmed that my car had arrived at the delivery center and was still awaiting “final inspections” VIN 1/11

…so basically no real information or delivery date

Chances this continues into Feb/March?
You have had VINs for 3 weeks with no delivery day set? Have they moved your EDD window?
I stopped calling Fremont because they have just said the same thing, still in final inspection, should have a call within 3 days to schedule delivery.

It just sucks because they are giving me four days, and I don’t want to lose my VIN, so anything I have in the coming days I have to account for possibly taking delivery of the car but it keeps moving. I’ve had to already rearrange scheduling once just in case they call and have to be available/in town.

I just got off the phone with someone at the factory. They don't have any info for Canadian orders. They recommended I reach out to my local Tesla center and ask them.
That's funny. Tesla will call you from Fremont when they want to - they called me when they did the 6 seater change. I had asked some questions about delivery that they were able to answer. This is purely evasive because they don't want to answer you. This makes me suspect that "March" is merely a placeholder (again).

Personally I think the yoke is brilliant and can’t wait to grab on to it. I am so tired of having to tweak the steering wheel position so I can see the entire ICD. Peering through the the top of the wheel is probably in the top five annoyances with my 2018 X.

I’m fine with FSD Beta. Each rev gets a little better. If I get annoyed with it, it is very easy to turn it off. sometimes I just use it with cruise (no destination set), because it very reliably honors traffic signals. It is nice to just sit back and relax, paying attention of course, rather than having to constantly move my feet. I’m anxiously waiting for 10.9 to drop on to my X. My wife got it on her 3 last week, so I’ve tried it, but stuck with 10.8.1 on my car.
10.8.1 is the first version that I feel I can relax while monitoring its progress. I'm happy to not get 10.9 yet, since 8.1 is the best I've had thus far. You know sometimes its 1 step forward 2 steps back... And I'm not looking forward to reliving the safety score when my refresh arrives. Guys with refresh, though, says the yoke feels best while using Beta.

1. For me, a car should emphasize function over style. I'm sure I will get used to the yoke, but I doubt I will prefer it.
  2. I don't run beta software for any mission-critical system. I prefer my cars not to crash into things, thank you very much.

1. People who have gotten Xes tend to say after a couple of weeks getting used to it the yoke is no problem for them.
2. I'm taking FSD but don't intend to use it much except on freeways. Just wanted to lock in the $10k price. They are making great progress with it. That said, I have no intention of even trying to enter the Beta program. Like you, I'm not much for being a guinea pig.

Yes many (if not most) iPhones and iPads were shipped from factory in China directly to you with overnight shipping during launch. You are just not lucky, Apple service is usually great.
I know — I think it was shutdowns related. I’ve always previously had an excellent experience with Apple.

That being said, prior to the Model X we had excellent experiences with Tesla…….

The problem with radar is it is very low resolution, it can see large metal objects like vehicles. But it completely ignores pedestrians, bicycles let alone a dog, cat or squirrel. I’ve been impressed how well Tesla Vision actually works. Yes it goes in the tank during very bad weather, but then so does the driver. It’s probably time to slow down or stop in those conditions.
Yeah… just park the car until the spring. 😂

It’s made for California not the North East so I’ll pass on FSD and drive it like I stole it year round. Maybe I’ll use the subscription May - Oct for road trips.