Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What PPF brands do you measure for ?
Please make really good measurements.
I use XPEL for PPF and tints and 3M for colored vinyl. Disclaimer - I don't work and I am not affiliated with any of those companies. I started my own, doing stuff for the refresh Model S which I got back in July last year, but now I am going to do a few things for the X as well. Measurements are very precise because I have to vectorize it and then cut it out from test vinyl and put it on to see how it fits, so it's not guess work, I actually see how it fits, just not using the real material 👍

Are the PPFs easy to apply DIY? Are you going to have PPF for the rest of the car (hood,bumper, door etc) ?
Yes, pretty easy. I do everything in a way that everyone can do it themselves + I make install videos for everything (check twraps.com to get an idea).
Since I only rented this for a week, for now my plan is to do these things first:

• Door handles color wrap
  • Emblems + trunk trim letters color wrap
  • Headlights, fog lights and tail lights tint (XPEL Slate Smoke - 50%/35%/25%)
  • Partial Hood PPF (I already do it for the Model S)
  • Door sills both PPF and colored options (carbon fiber etc)
  • Spoiler colored wrap (carbon fiber)

And I already have these done for the X:

If you want to see some product that I didn't list, please do say, if many people request the same thing I will prioritize on it.

I’ve been thinking about having my windows and windshield tinted but have heard some horror stories about bubbling, waviness, hair, and scratched glass. Do you have any advice/rec? Thanks

To be honest I haven't done the windows tints yet...it's on my todo and I already have a few rolls of XPEL Prime XR to test with, just haven't gotten to it. For now I do lights tints (headlights, tail lights and fog lights) using XPEL Slate Smoke.

I did check out the XPEL Prime XR and at first sight it looks tricky to work with...it's 2mil only (i.e. super super thin...compare to regular colored vinyl which is ~3.5mil and PPF that starts at 6mil and goes all the way to 10mil). The lights tints (XPEL Slate Smoke) is tinted PPF actually so it's 8mil and very very easy to work with. So I will try the windows tints in a few weeks hopefully and if it's manageable I will release it as a product, otherwise - no...

Reactions: Tezlagirl
Yes, pretty easy. I do everything in a way that everyone can do it themselves + I make install videos for everything (check twraps.com to get an idea).
Since I only rented this for a week, for now my plan is to do these things first:

• Door handles color wrap
  • Emblems + trunk trim letters color wrap
  • Headlights, fog lights and tail lights tint (XPEL Slate Smoke - 50%/35%/25%)
  • Partial Hood PPF (I already do it for the Model S)
  • Door sills both PPF and colored options (carbon fiber etc)
  • Spoiler colored wrap (carbon fiber)

And I already have these done for the X:

If you want to see some product that I didn't list, please do say, if many people request the same thing I will prioritize on it.
Would you consider doing measurements for full body Xpel Stealth PPF (the matte Xpel)?

Reactions: iyordanov
Would you consider doing measurements for full body Xpel Stealth PPF (the matte Xpel)?
Unfortunately no… for two reasons:
1. I focus on DYI, full body wrap is tons of work, certainly not a DYI. Full body wrap is a job better suited for a wrap shop.
2. There is no way I can do it in a week. For example this whole afternoon I’ve been working on creating a cut model for the tail lights, so I can cut tints for them. It just takes tons of time as I don’t have a 3D scanner and the way I do it is this- I put blank semi transparent vinyl on whatever I want to take measurements from, then draw the component under it with a sharpie. Take the vinyl off, scan it, vectorize it and then it’s back&forth making tests until the fit is perfect. Just takes tons of time

Unfortunately no… for two reasons:
1. I focus on DYI, full body wrap is tons of work, certainly not a DYI. Full body wrap is a job better suited for a wrap shop.
2. There is no way I can do it in a week. For example this whole afternoon I’ve been working on creating a cut model for the tail lights, so I can cut tints for them. It just takes tons of time as I don’t have a 3D scanner and the way I do it is this- I put blank semi transparent vinyl on whatever I want to take measurements from, then draw the component under it with a sharpie. Take the vinyl off, scan it, vectorize it and then it’s back&forth making tests until the fit is perfect. Just takes tons of time
shucks but thx for considering.
I want to try matte on the factory Red, so I need full body

We didn't get direct MX news on the earnings call but maybe indirect.

As we know Tesla delivered a combined 24,964 MS / MX cars in 2021 which contributed to their record breaking 936k total production.
View attachment 760677

The good news is that they expect capacity to produce 100,000 MS / MX cars in 2022.
Sure, this is an overgeneralized number and it will likely be less BUT if it was significantly less they would have rounded to 50,000.

View attachment 760680

No denying Tesla has been playing with our emotions with EDDs but all signs point to a continued scale and ramp of production.

A reminder... back in the day.. when we were young.. you could order a new car and get delivery in the same month! 😱
Installed capacity doesn’t matter when you can’t get chips and other parts. The factory is capable of producing X, but only if enough Y and Z parts are present to be used. They referenced during the call that all their factories were running under capacity due to supply chain woes last year.

Reactions: VulcansDontCry
Well, is the 4680 really a game changer at this point? Is the chemistry such that it's got a significant energy density improvements? I see it as a cost cutter for Tesla initially. Still on the fence about the structural battery.
There should also be a performance improvement w/ the new tab-less design. The 4680s should be able to get electrons in and out more quickly than the current cells. Lack of 4680s is why the Roadster is delayed and the Plaid+ scrapped.

I am not aware of Tesla releasing any data on energy density. Probably keeping it close to the vest until they are in the wild and someone does a teardown.

The order page says that this replacement is not heated (i.e. the heated steering wheel functionality will no longer work). Is this true?
Good catch. I didn't expect the "new" bits to heat but the factory areas should still have heat. The Hansshow one says that heat will work: 2021+ Model X/S Round Steering Wheel

I'm leaning towards the Hannshow one anyway as I think I like the more traditional round top - I noticed myself driving with one hand up there earlier today. But I will keep looking at the pictures and maybe @lb92677 will respond with their thoughts.

Well, is the 4680 really a game changer at this point? Is the chemistry such that it's got a significant energy density improvements? I see it as a cost cutter for Tesla initially. Still on the fence about the structural battery.
All the experts say it is. Sandy Munroe, all the you tubers are high on it. They organized an entire event around it called 'battery day' where they explained it in depth. Its more efficient and apparently about 15% lighter and costs less than 15% or more to build, now is durable enough to go 750k to 1mil miles. Charges way faster with less of a curve. Runs cooler and is less brittle with temps. Among other things. GigaBerlin originally was going to be the first to get it, now its Giga Texas Y's that won that lottery.

To those of you replacing the yoke steering wheel to round ones… are the replacements even street legal? Just because they take airbags doesn’t make them approved. Would hate to see insurance not cover you or the car in an accident because you aren’t using OEM stuff. As much as the yoke may or may not be your thing, that’s a pretty big piece of the safety of a car to be messing with. And don’t just go believing some guy on YouTube who could care less if you die or not.

Speaking of build quality, saw two refresh X at the lot in Portland today, one LR on Plaid, both has this weird tilt/angle on the top glass piece between the falcon wing doors. The right door rubber trim that covers the top was squished all the way down. Should have taken a pic, maybe tomorrow. Both FWD alignments were pretty okay though, but the top glass was ridiculous
@tjpdk yes take a picture if you can tomorrow and post it. I will look at mine and make sure it isn’t the same. Thanks.

Reactions: TJPDX
To those of you replacing the yoke steering wheel to round ones… are the replacements even street legal? Just because they take airbags doesn’t make them approved. Would hate to see insurance not cover you or the car in an accident because you aren’t using OEM stuff. As much as the yoke may or may not be your thing, that’s a pretty big piece of the safety of a car to be messing with. And don’t just go believing some guy on YouTube who could care less if you die or not.
I have more research to do, but I am pretty sure that these are OEM yokes that they are modifying. The reason I believe this is that you have to return your yoke to them after you do the swap. This is not like the person who retrofitted a Model 3 wheel onto a Model S. I believe it is plug and play.

So my EDD just went from October to Tomorrow (but no VIN). WTF!!!????? If it was really tomorrow or in the next month, I'd have to punt. I placed my order expecting it to be at least 6 months given that it said October.

Are there tons of cancellations due to the seat config restriction? I don't believe it for a second. Even if there were cancellations, there will be thousands of orders ahead of mine placed on 12/31 and there very few Plaids in the wild right now. Almost nothing on youtube yet. Can I push the order and say I'm not ready yet?