Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After hearing of the crazy delivery times on Plaids, I decided to put in an order for a Plaid X. So I have 2 orders now. Let’s see which one wins.

LR: blue/white/6 seat/20”/FSD (Ordered October 2020)
Plaid: blue/white/6 seat/22”/no FSD (Ordered today)
Did the same thing, but LR blue/white/6 seat/20"/ no FSD (January 2021)
Plaid: blue/white/6seat/20/no FSD (ordered 1/24/22-ish)

I'm happy with either one.

That solution is so disgusting I might actually kill myself.
So that's quite a bit hyperbolic; but also I'm fairly certain I could do better with an old hula hoop, some bondo, and spray paint 😂

Not hyperbole. I’m now haunting this thread from beyond, so boo, or whatever. 👻

In the afterlife everyone gets their Model X on time, two weeks means two weeks, sales advisors return phone calls, and everyone has unlimited supercharging.

Last edited:
n

yup. I’m in north jersey. Ordered 11/12/21 delivery feb 8- march 1 MX plaid 6 panda edition
I’m hopeful my date won’t change. It’s alll about the
For those who have financed your vehicle, how far in advance did you need to apply? I have an EDD of Feb 8 - Mar 2nd, but no VIN. Is it too soon to start the process? I ordered a plaid on June 11th of last year.
i have the same. Feb - march 1. No vin

wait. everyone who doesn't have one and therefore hates it, says there will be so many accidents. Hmmmm....
Let’s steer back into the civil lane. We are all entitled to our opinions.

I owned a MSP for a while. Yoke was interesting, but I absolutely see the potential that it may be confusing in a situation requiring sudden wheel adjustment. It happened to me: car pulling out of a driveway, didn’t see me and I had to suddenly swerve. Normally, I’d honk and swerve. Both were awkward. I didn’t quite get to the horn. I was able to swerve, but I felt vulnerable.

I plan to keep an open mind and have fun with the yoke, but in my opinion, the accident concerns are legitimate. Regardless, we probably should try to not to taunt each other if our opinions differ.

For those who have financed your vehicle, how far in advance did you need to apply? I have an EDD of Feb 8 - Mar 2nd, but no VIN. Is it too soon to start the process? I ordered a plaid on June 11th of last year.
I waited until I got my vin.. don’t rush it only takes a minute to apply through Tesla and they approve within an hour

I think I recall someone posting on here about thinking a part was missing from the receiver bag. If I recall it wasn’t a missing part but I can’t remember and this is how my bag showed up. Am I missing something? View attachment 761607
They used the same hitch in the 2017 model. The opening in the trailer hitch case looks like a missing part but it is actually a cutout to store the cap that otherwise covers the hitch opening when not in use. (currently installed in your car)
There are also foam cutouts outlined for the keys but it looks like your keys are in the center of the hitch. :)

What if the "fit and finish" is something to do with the falcon wing doors? If those can't be adjusted on the spot, if they're having trouble opening/closing, it sounds like it might be unsolvable even with service looking into it. That, to me, is the deal breaker.

My opinions set aside and speaking purely statistically - according to the MX Refresh Issues spreadsheet 17 of 34 users with MX issues report alignment issues on the FWDs. Exactly 50%. Sure, some deliveries don't have any issues but most do.

In other words if someone refuses delivery due to a misaligned FWD there is roughly a 50% chance they will not take home their car. Most chose to resolve these types of issues with a SC visit.

If it is truly unsolvable you can claim lemon law but I have not heard of any unsolvable FWD alignment issues yet.

Guys, this is a $100k+ car.

I agree! Trust me I am not trying to make excuses for Tesla. The way they conduct their assembly is not $100k+ quality. That's why I started the refresh issues thread to shine light on their shotty work. I agree, its a problem

But -
Unlike most luxury car brands Tesla's focus at the end of the day is to maximize profit and throughput. Tesla openly says they aim to make production faster and less expensive. As such this results in less attention to detail.

An analogy - think of it as ordering a filet mignon and making it on a McDonalds assembly line.

Would be happy to answer any questions you all have. View attachment 761612
1. Any sign of the new yoke revision with the horn on the airbag (where it should be)? I'm expecting they'll ship this change long before they turn it on via SW, so perhaps the new ones you can feel a sort of button-press when pushing on the airbag.

2. My rejected white X had a mismatched bumper, does yours?

3. Hows your FWD sealing trim? Mine was shredded in spots.

I agree! Trust me I am not trying to make excuses for Tesla. The way they conduct their assembly is not $100k+ quality. That's why I started the refresh issues thread to shine light on their shotty work. I agree, its a problem

But -
Unlike most luxury car brands Tesla's focus at the end of the day is to maximize profit and throughput. Tesla openly says they aim to make production faster and less expensive. As such this results in less attention to detail.

An analogy - think of it as ordering a filet mignon and making it on a McDonalds assembly line.

If people stopped accepting cars in a condition objectively below what any non-Tesla purchaser would, I guarantee you Tesla would stop this nonsense overnight.

It's our fault, not Tesla's.

If people stopped accepting cars in a condition objectively below what any non-Tesla purchaser would, I guarantee you Tesla would stop this nonsense overnight.

oof. I agree.

Unfortunately with hundreds of thousands of deliveries every year there will always be that next guy willing to take earlier delivery in exchange for an outstanding issue to be resolved later.

Depending on the issue (if it's aesthetic / fit / finish) I may be that guy 😅

Spoke with the Tesla guy over the phone today.

I should get a VIN match by Feb 5.
Then within 48 hours after that, they should finish with the car and ship it out (expedite) to the Ft Lauderdale store.

Hopefully, this is a piece of accurate information from the Tesla guy in Fremont.
Sorry guys!!
My estimate was totally off by a week. They told me on Feb 5 - 8 .
Anyhow, I updated my signature.

5CF4D402-DCB4-431A-B67B-EFE01B249494.jpeg

Last edited:

I don’t blame buyers, given the scarce supply. When you’re waiting nearly a year, you take the car and make warranty claims to fix manufacturing defects.