Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I'll probably get downvotes for this, but anyone who can afford a Plaid should probably not be financing it unless it's for a business and you're taking the 25% instant depreciation credit.
People with a lot of money usually finance or lease things in order to keep their liquid cash invested. Paying cash for a depreciating asset that doesn’t give you returns is a terrible financial move… wealthy people don’t pay their own cash for anything.

And @Yakkodot, you may disagree with my post but apparently this is exactly what just happened to @Typester . Rather than being offered to upgrade to 6 seats for free, his order was canceled instead due to the 7 seat configuration no longer being offered.
Sorry the thumbs down was because of the cancelled order not your post. 100% agree with your post. Will change that

What would she have done if you took the 3 hours that I took to carefully inspect my P85D before accepting the order? Would she have driven it back? She's supposed to wait and give you as much time as you need to thoroughly inspect it. Best thing obviously at this point is to take a picture of it along with the current mileage all time stamped so that with the logs you can prove you never drove it at the time the crack was documented.
At this point I'd take that car in a heartbeat and set an SC appt.

If they put 4680’s and gave me 16% more range over current advertised range, id be ok with the wait
If it was that, it'd be a way longer wait. Those structural packs in a new sled is no walk in the park, to create a manufacturing process anew. Then again, you wish we'd wait this long and they were already doing this.

Only option now is service appointment, we have to acknowledge, that it was a mistake not to give a quick inspection before pushing the acceptance button , especially she was in a rush, seem to be she was aware of the issues.
There are a thousand people here that might appreciate her being in a rush for you but not us. 😄 We're just jealous you're picking up your car and we're not. Congrats and hope you get it fixed soon! Yeah she'll probably be a bit more careful for the next guy.

I sat in one a few weeks ago. It's very nice and I would get one but I really need the SUV
Yeah I understand that conundrum too. It was the only reason stopping me from ordering the Lucid much earlier. Recently however, we just did a 11.5 hour road trip from PHX to SLC in our Model 3 and were actually not too tired upon arriving home, but the frequent stopping for supercharging got really frustrating. My wife and I also thought that at the very least if we had a 'longer' but not necessarily a 'higher' car would have made things just fantastic. Then we did a quick calculation using Lucid's range for the same trip and were convinced. (1hr 40 mins or so supercharging vs. 30 mins tops on a Lucid)

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Yeah I understand that conundrum too. It was the only reason stopping me from ordering the Lucid much earlier. Recently however, we just did a 11.5 hour road trip from PHX to SLC in our Model 3 and were actually not too tired upon arriving home, but the frequent stopping for supercharging got really frustrating. My wife and I also thought that at the very least if we had a 'longer' but not necessarily a 'higher' car would have made things just fantastic. Then we did a quick calculation using Lucid's range for the same trip and were convinced. (1hr 40 mins or so supercharging vs. 30 mins tops on a Lucid)
Try A Better Route Planner for a more stable comparison of both.

So when will you get your Grand touring?
Latest end of Q2 guaranteed. And they're not BS-ing coz everyone's been told the same info. Two guys here in Phoenix confirmed 11/2/21 and 11/3/21 respectively and got a VIN assigned recently on the same day 2/7/22 with delivery in a couple of weeks. And theirs was the first batch of Grand Tourings to have been produced, and now production has ramped up quite a bit since then

Just got bumped to July EDD from April. It’s like 2021 all over again. Ha. This can’t be a placeholder unless all 7 seaters were moved to July EDD. Maybe that’s when they think supply chain issues will lift? Any other 5/7 seaters get moved to a different date?

W/w/7/20/FSD originally ordered November 2020
Well, damn, you made me look and YEP, our 5 seater MXLR is now July, sigh.

GIven Elon said it was stupid for them to shut the line down back in Dec of 2020... it would be naive to think this delay has anything to do with headlights or batteries. My suspicion is its more of a reality check than anything. We knew that April date was crap. They got flack for changing it every month, so they fixed the glitch.
So changing it every quarter is better. Right. /s

Last edited:
Did you order the R1S or T? Any estimated delivery date on their new order email confirmation/account? I'm thinking about an R1S order.
I did an order back at the beginning of January figuring that Tesla would probably continue to delay and delay and delay. Ordered an R1T. Never was a pickup type of guy, but it's compelling since I want to get out into nature and carrying gear is really suited to it - plus the R1T is the only one with the Max Pack option for 400 mile range. Over time, I'm leaning more towards it than the Model X. Kinda tired of treating vehicles like primadonnas. All the reviews have been mostly positive and software updates can fix some of the issues. Hoping that Rivian actually does test drives in my area soon so I can see it in person. Not expecting it until 2023 - no estimated delivery date but they do warn you about that when ordering the Max Pack. At this rate, it may arrive sooner than the X.