Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But what’s more egregious is The Service Center people had to of seen it. How could they not have seen it and still handed it over to you. How did they not see that, call you up and say “hey we have an issue with one of your falcon wing doors that we have to fix before you pick it up”.

Is it that they need to close the sale that badly and have the money transferred to Tesla? How crazy is it that you have to buy the car in order for them to fix the car.
They both need the money and they need to count the car as "delivered." Tesla lives and dies by those delivery numbers as Wall Street watches those like a hawk.
Why are they not building more factories for Model S and Model X? We would be waiting for our cars for 2 years - this is more than enough to open a new factory! Just not in Germany though ;)
They can build all the factories they want but if they don't have the chips and other supplies to build the cars the factories will sit idle. Or they would build what they could and park them in fields until the parts come in to finish them, exactly what they have been doing for MX.
Saying this makes me feel like a pessimist, but why do people immediately think they're going to get something better when all the glaring data is present that we aren't? They can't get an effing door they've been making for 6 years right. There's nothing secret here. Tesla signed a contract for 2170s and they are going to stick them in low-volume cars until the contract is up. What did we learn from the 2016 presidential election... if it walks like a duck...
Someone already corrected the cell type in S/X, but to your initial point, people lie to themselves to ease their pain. It is easier to stomach further delays if you think that the car you are getting will be "better" than the one you would get sooner. People feel there must be a reason for the delays beyond Tesla being incompetent, supply chain issues, etc.

I have been driving Teslas since 2010. I love the cars and the company, but this may well be my last Tesla. I am really happy with the Volvo CX40 that I am leasing. It doesn't have Tesla range but everything works and the ordering process was simple and the car arrived exactly when they said it would (2 weeks after I ordered it). Dealer salesperson spent as much time as I wanted to learn about the car, get the app set up on my phone, etc.

I have a Day 1 Cybertruck reservation but also put in one for an F-150 Lightning. The competition is coming. Tesla needs to get their crap together - pi$$ing off people that are willing to give them $120k is not good business.

Model X is a red herring for anyone trying to assess the Tesla experience.

And with all due regard, I feel Ben Sullins is not even making sense with his rants / IMO he needs help.
There was no paint on my entire M3 air intake front fender before I almost rejected delivery and they fixed it while I waited 4 hours. What do you disagree with that makes you think he needs (presumably) professional help? How many lies has Elon told? Similar to Jony Ive, designers couldn't wait until he was gone. Butterfly keyboard, touchbar, no ports, etc. He got lost in his dreams.

Although tempted, I won't buy a first model year car, let alone a first model year electric car, let alone a first model year electric car from a startup company...

In the documentary The Long Way Up they used 2 Rivians for the support crew and drove 13,000 miles from South America to LA. They went through some brutal terrain and the Rivians performance was stellar.
I have orders placed for Model X LR, Cybertruck, and Rivian. I will take whatever shows up first.

There was no paint on my entire M3 air intake front fender before I almost rejected delivery and they fixed it while I waited 4 hours. What do you disagree with that makes you think he needs (presumably) professional help? How many lies has Elon told? Similar to Jony Ive, designers couldn't wait until he was gone. Butterfly keyboard, touchbar, no ports, etc. He got lost in his dreams.
I don’t like talking negatively about other people, but this situation was sooo ridiculous I did. I watched a clip of a recent Ben Sullins video in which he within a few sentences was making fully contradictory statements—it was not a mashup video. For example, he said Tesla makes top quality vehicles, then a few moments later said Tesla vehicles are unreliable.
It got much worse than that. It was like two separate people (not suggesting a dx) talking.

As far as Elon goes, I happen to REALLY get his groove & though he’s aspirational and sometimes defensive to his own detriment (misses an insight because saving face), I do NOT think of him as a liar at all. I thoroughly think he’s a good guy.

One thing I have not seen as much of him doing recently, is deflecting praise. He has been very good about that in the past. For example when somebody posted that he’s the most valuable person on the planet, it would have been a great opportunity for Elon to project that he’s just the messenger/appreciates the many people that are toiling with him to make a better future possible for all. Etc. Instead Elon just liked the post. Granted he is super busy so probably didn’t have time to reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkhanesq
They both need the money and they need to count the car as "delivered." Tesla lives and dies by those delivery numbers as Wall Street watches those like a hawk.

They can build all the factories they want but if they don't have the chips and other supplies to build the cars the factories will sit idle. Or they would build what they could and park them in fields until the parts come in to finish them, exactly what they have been doing for MX.

Someone already corrected the cell type in S/X, but to your initial point, people lie to themselves to ease their pain. It is easier to stomach further delays if you think that the car you are getting will be "better" than the one you would get sooner. People feel there must be a reason for the delays beyond Tesla being incompetent, supply chain issues, etc.

I have been driving Teslas since 2010. I love the cars and the company, but this may well be my last Tesla. I am really happy with the Volvo CX40 that I am leasing. It doesn't have Tesla range but everything works and the ordering process was simple and the car arrived exactly when they said it would (2 weeks after I ordered it). Dealer salesperson spent as much time as I wanted to learn about the car, get the app set up on my phone, etc.

I have a Day 1 Cybertruck reservation but also put in one for an F-150 Lightning. The competition is coming. Tesla needs to get their crap together - pi$$ing off people that are willing to give them $120k is not good business.
There might be a reason why those Volvos are so available and their dealer salesperson was so nice and had so much time to go over everything, just a thought.

2.5 weeks and 1000 miles in still loving the Porsche Taycan Turbo S. A few times CarPlay hasn’t connected but besides that been great. Car so far seems rock solid. Decent tech, comfortable, and great to drive. I was worried not going Tesla for our 2nd EV but feeling more comfortable with each day.

Had a few issues with the electrify America chargers, but nothing major.

Biggest issue I have is it’s stupid to call an EV a Turbo and regardless what their marketting guys say it’s dumb.

In California there are hills everywhere except the 99 but everyone wants to get off that fwy, so I wonder what it would actually do here in our world. The same guy that did that range test never tested any MS LR or MX LR. Not sure where his allegiances are because of that.
So he does have a lot of videos on his 70mph tests on a lot of the new EVs. That plus charging time and all that. I agree that living in SoCal is a slightly different ballgame, but he always says range mostly depends on the temps outside. We all know the weather in SoCal is mostly good. My guess and strictly guess is if you drive non-aggressively, have 19" tires, you'll be more than fine with range and your charging speeds will be spectacular at even a 150kW DC fast charging (albeit Electrify America or Chargepoint etc)

Looks like your from NJ too. I’m down close to Philly. Do you mind sharing where you got the quotes from? I tried a place that has a location in Williamsburg and Marlton… $12,000
I’m in Bucks County. I’ll be using Jace with Focus Creative Company in Ballmawr. He’s got some really great work and quotes about the same as our NJ friend. I’m getting something a bit extra so my quote would be off. Tell him Steph with the model x that’s taking forever to arrive sent you. He’ll laugh.

Focus Creative Company

Reactions: wildstar
So he does have a lot of videos on his 70mph tests on a lot of the new EVs. That plus charging time and all that. I agree that living in SoCal is a slightly different ballgame, but he always says range mostly depends on the temps outside. We all know the weather in SoCal is mostly good. My guess and strictly guess is if you drive non-aggressively, have 19" tires, you'll be more than fine with range and your charging speeds will be spectacular at even a 150kW DC fast charging (albeit Electrify America or Chargepoint etc)
Range is also elevation changes, which can be worse than weather. Or both. I still don't understand why he hasn't tested the Model S or the Model X with their strong EPA numbers. It makes it seem as if he's paid to do the cars he does. From there comes the bias.

Reactions: bhramabull
As far as Elon goes, I happen to REALLY get his groove & though he’s aspirational and sometimes defensive to his own detriment (misses an insight because saving face), I do NOT think of him as a liar at all. I thoroughly think he’s a good guy.

He's been divorced 3x with 5 kids + another with a musician met over twitter. I guess he's trying, but no judgement from me on his personal character, and he really is a game-changer.

My 6yo truly believes I'm a magician because I can make Pokemon VMAXs appear (from eBay), but it's a gentle white lie where all involved parties are happy. Elon cared deeply through the Model 3 ramp, perhaps because they were near bankruptcy for the 2nd time with his PYPL life savings on the line, and I even bought the stock then before dumping as well as a Model 3. I think he believes what he's saying, but my 6yo also believes I'm a magician. Now, I trust automated EDDs more than he.

At this stage, it's clear he's disconnected from the day-to-day, but refuses to hire a COO, so I view anything he says with the credibility of a snake-oil salesman. I've had Navigation on Autopilot for years, and I still don't use it in Bay Area traffic. There's no accountability, but there would be if Tim Cook were captain. Look at Scott Forstall.

I was out of the loop the last couple days due to long chemo infusion sessions, but I see the interns got bored with having to update EDD every week or month, and just moved to pushing back by entire quarters instead. Unless this is a sign of some new part shortage?

I'm just really hoping that this is them being super conservative about delivery dates now and we will all get a nice surprise when we get it earlier than the EDD... I guess i shouldn't hold my breathe on that one...