Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been holding back for some days not to post here the nonsense I have read about rejecting a 2021 VIN.
Somehow these assumptions are coming from people that have no idea about car production.
A vehicle gets a VIN assigned the moment is it listed to start production, not after it is build so the theory it got the VIN and set to heat up in the sun for months goes Poof.
I had the pleasure of speaking with someone at Tesla about finalizing my documents and we both were very candid about my 2021 car. He told me clearly that back in nov 2021 when i was assigned a VIN and it went Poof is because production VIN were assigned but some parts were not available to complete the car. Since that list of cars were not able to be build yet( will not start till 2022 but only a handful did), the VINs were taken away till the production was schedule to start. This production of a 2021 vins were already recorded and officially assigned but not able to build.
I asked when did my car began actual production, he said in the beginning of 2022. My car was build same time as others 2022.As of yesterday, my new crispy fresh 2021 XLR was completed and on its final inspection for transport.
I also talked about the cases of damage cars that were been delivered. He explain that car leaves without any external damage from the factory but unfortunately cars do suffer damage during transportation. This I know very well since I do work in the auto industry and have witness cars damage during transport and the company that did the transport normally pays for the damages.
In two weeks I will be taking delivery of a fresh 2021XLR with as much joy as if it was a 2022. Actually it is a 2022 in heart just had a birth certificate for sometime. :)
and BTW, the value of a build Q4 2021 is about the same as Q1 2022. What dictates value is miles, condition, any accidents/damage and wear/tear. so anyone that rejected a 2021 passed on a great car.
Exit stage left...............
i respectfully disagree. If given a choice between a 2021 vs a 2022 car people are going to value the 2022 more than a 2021 even if the build date was in 2022. When you enter your information into carvana, vroom etc...its going to come up as a 2021 which will have a lower value than a 2022.

But hey, you have a car now which is more than I can say for myself. You can flip your car for more than my phantom car so nothing to be worried about. If you drive your car for many years whether it is a 2021 vs 2022 won't make a difference over time. That value difference 10+ years from now will be negligible

Found my car. Few issues.

View attachment 771388
View attachment 771390
View attachment 771391

So not terrible but I told them they need to fix those minor things before my delivery. Which by the way, was moved to tomorrow.
lets say you take delivery of this and document the gap. They try to fix later and can't and say it is within spec. Does the buyer have any recourse?

With one of my X they were never able to fully align a gap...they just said it was within spec. They said if they had to do more they would have to send to a body shop. I just relented and kept it as is and didn't really bother me. It was more from a resale perspective I wanted it fixed.

But, if I really wanted them to fix it and they couldn't...wouldn't I be kind of stuck? I can't lemon it for door alignment issues.

IMG_20220220_002645.jpg

X-Plaid, Cream, 20", 6-seater, Ordered 4/8/21. EDDs: June > blank > Nov > Jan > Feb > Mar > Apr (on 2/9/22). Suddenly, just 5 days later, the car was available and delivered on 2/16. Immediately got full front PPF and compete ceramic coating - picked it up from the shop today. Very happy. The TMC X tracking spreadsheet has been updated.

lets say you take delivery of this and document the gap. They try to fix later and can't and say it is within spec. Does the buyer have any recourse?

With one of my X they were never able to fully align a gap...they just said it was within spec. They said if they had to do more they would have to send to a body shop. I just relented and kept it as is and didn't really bother me. It was more from a resale perspective I wanted it fixed.

But, if I really wanted them to fix it and they couldn't...wouldn't I be kind of stuck? I can't lemon it for door alignment issues.
Yea. That’s my dilemma as well. I know it’s there and it’s going to bother me. But I keep telling myself I’m only keeping this car until the CT releases so it’s temporary. But never know, the wife could steal it from me.

Haha true!

The adaptive headlights have a sharper cutoff at the top of the beam of the light, doesn’t blind as many on coming drivers and projects more focused at a farther distance. I would welcome this improvement, although the current setup is good as well.
My 2018 X has the “cornering” lights that come on at slow speeds and when the turn signals are switched on. They illuminate curbs and such when making a turn, then go off. In the dark rural area where we live they really help see and avoid hazards when turning. Especially if you have tinted front windows. I hope any new headlights retain this feature.
Can any owners of the current X confirm the 2021/22 X still has the cornering lights?

View attachment 771637
X-Plaid, Cream, 20", 6-seater, Ordered 4/8/21. EDDs: June > blank > Nov > Jan > Feb > Mar > Apr (on 2/9/22). Suddenly, just 5 days later, the car was available and delivered on 2/16. Immediately got full front PPF and compete ceramic coating - picked it up from the shop today. Very happy. The TMC X tracking spreadsheet has been updated.

ordered the same specs, beautiful car! can we see some more?!?!?! also of the interior cream! please and thank you!!

I don't believe this for a minute. I don't think the quality control coming from the factory is anywhere near as good as legacy auto makers. Maybe the car is technically awesome and is nice when it drives with no problems, but quality is not something Tesla is known for. Nor is the service up to par. Yes, many have excellent service, but until they get better across the board, they will be known for their shortcomings. When I pointed out the many defects my car was delivered with, there was zero apology, just contempt for me pointing out that they had not done their job. I still have not driven my car. They towed it back to replace the windshield, the rear bumper body panel, adjust doors, actually clean the interior, etc.
100% agree. It's BS. All car manufacturers have to transport their vehicles, and I have bought many new cars across many brands... but only Tesla seems to have these kinds of issues.