Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm no expert, but this just seems like a case of Elon/Tesla pushing ahead, stubbornly, with what they believe is best. Meanwhile, literally every other autonomous driving company you see testing cars on public roads is utilizing a robust (and ugly) suite of sensors that clearly goes well beyond just visual. Call me cynical, but I just find it hard to believe Elon/Tesla knows something all these other companies (who also employ really smart people) don't know. 🤷‍♂️
I believe he does actually. Exactly how he was and is ahead of the curve with EVs in general....now everybody else is playing catch up when they should've been working on EVs this whole time lol

Reactions: DelPhonic1
How do these other companies with smart people, and their drive assist software, compare to the most basic Tesla autopilot?
This is anecdotal, but my GMC Yukon Denali using radar cruise control is much smoother than my P100D was. No phantom braking. It speeds up and slows down appropriately. I had all kinds of phantom breaking issues in my P100D. I realize that is not addressing the root concern here, which is radar. That said, even with radar, my Tesla struggled. Without radar, I imagine it will be even worse.

I see this as an attempt to widen profit margins. Sure, it gives Tesla an opportunity to continue to develop all the software and hardware behind FSD, but why else would you remove radar, when it clearly is beneficial in certain circumstances?

This is anecdotal, but my GMC Yukon Denali using radar cruise control is much smoother than my P100D was. No phantom braking. It speeds up and slows down appropriately. I had all kinds of phantom breaking issues in my P100D. I realize that is not addressing the root concern here, which is radar. That said, even with radar, my Tesla struggled. Without radar, I imagine it will be even worse.

I see this as an attempt to widen profit margins. Sure, it gives Tesla an opportunity to continue to develop all the software and hardware behind FSD, but why else would you remove radar, when it clearly is beneficial in certain circumstances?
I agree. Makes zero sense. Phantom braking has almost gotten me rear ended a few times. It’s some scary stuff. Gotta be paying attention for sure.

So do we think that this move effectively means that even for legacy vehicles that do have radar, Tesla will shut that off so that all cars are using the same visual? Basically a downgrade for everyone else? I would have thought that is how TESLA does things...

my car's built date was 2/09 -- anyone think its possible that the car has the new rear set up? I would imagine if cars built then had it there would be photos of it by now, right? I sure hope it does not!! I could care less about the charge port and I really like the black bar that goes into the tail lights...

• Love
Reactions: Elixir
As a fan (of James Douma), I can’t help but buy into vision>radar. My Merc does phantom alerts all the time under bridges, tall items, unable to discern intelligently the difference between objects. Sure radar will give you better “vision” through rough weather but the goal here is to prepare the car for most situations most of the time, not edge cases all of the time, and more importantly to identify intelligently the object, velocity and so on. If object is identified as a human (erroneously) you want the car to err on side of caution. With time, and increased leviathan of data, you’ll see the Nets will learn to identify better.

That’s the bet He is willing to take. Bold but a bet nonetheless. Honda can equally bet on hydrogen, which in principle should work better, but unfeasible for wide scale adoption.

The solution should work pragmatically better —drastic reduction in cost that accompanies vision-only stance is a real driver of auto pilot/self driving adoption as a natural way of life. It has got to work. Much like a reusable rocket: it’s essential to wide scale adoption of jet-fueled travel both on and off the earth.

So do we think that this move effectively means that even for legacy vehicles that do have radar, Tesla will shut that off so that all cars are using the same visual? Basically a downgrade for everyone else? I would have thought that is how TESLA does things...
It gets disabled while you're on FSD from my understanding. So yes, I think that's the goal.

Reactions: croman
I agree. Makes zero sense. Phantom braking has almost gotten me rear ended a few times. It’s some scary stuff. Gotta be paying attention for sure.
I got an M3 in September as I wait for a MX. I live in a rural area of Florida and travel two lane roads with 60 MPH speed limit. I have phantom braking with almost every on coming tractor trailer. Only exceptions are if my speed is being controlled by the car in front of me or the oncoming truck is sandwiched between other vehicles. At night phantom braking will occur with the headlights of almost every on coming vehicle.

Service swapped out two pillar cameras. Did nothing to solve the issue.

imageonline-co-textimage (2).png

imageonline-co-textimage.png

Canva-Footbrake-and-accelerator-of-vehicle.jpg

imageonline-co-textimage (1).png

3d-render-breaking-wine-glass-on-black-picture-id540739300

imageonline-co-textimage (3).png

As a fan (of James Douma), I can’t help but buy into vision>radar. My Merc does phantom alerts all the time under bridges, tall items, unable to discern intelligently the difference between objects. Sure radar will give you better “vision” through rough weather but the goal here is to prepare the car for most situations most of the time, not edge cases all of the time, and more importantly to identify intelligently the object, velocity and so on. If object is identified as a human (erroneously) you want the car to err on side of caution. With time, and increased leviathan of data, you’ll see the Nets will learn to identify better.

That’s the bet He is willing to take. Bold but a bet nonetheless. Honda can equally bet on hydrogen, which in principle should work better, but unfeasible for wide scale adoption.

The solution should work pragmatically better —drastic reduction in cost that accompanies vision-only stance is a real driver of auto pilot/self driving adoption as a natural way of life. It has got to work. Much like a reusable rocket: it’s essential to wide scale adoption of jet-fueled travel both on and off the earth.
The capital “H” is a bit scary… 😃

I've got a 2018 Model 3 Peformance and a 2020 Taycan Turbo. Even with the radar the Taycan is much smoother in stop/go traffic on the highway.

Owners who have vision only are reporting chronic phantom braking.
It's too early to cut this over... get the software right then change the hardware.

My wife will have zero tolerance for even one phantom braking experience with our kids in the car. Looks like the X is off the table now.
My experience so far I have not had any phantom braking that locks up the brakes. I have had it slow down from 70mph to 65 only to go back up to 70.