Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thing on my EDD date ... as of 2 weeks ago it slipped from "Estimated Delivery: March" to "Estimated Delivery: April". However, I just looked at it today, and it now says "Estimated Delivery: March 5 - March 30".

Screenshot 2022-02-23 141918.png

Notable that:

1. This is the first time since I ordered (1/28/2021) that the delivery date hasn't been just a month name, but now includes actual days/dates as well.
2. This is also the first time since I ordered that the EDD moved backwards (was estimated April, now March).

I still do not have a VIN.

I don't put a lot of stock into this, as I don't put a lot of stock into anything Tesla tells me just on general principal. But it's interesting nonetheless.

Reactions: jbrowdy
I'm no expert, but this just seems like a case of Elon/Tesla pushing ahead, stubbornly, with what they believe is best. Meanwhile, literally every other autonomous driving company you see testing cars on public roads is utilizing a robust (and ugly) suite of sensors that clearly goes well beyond just visual. Call me cynical, but I just find it hard to believe Elon/Tesla knows something all these other companies (who also employ really smart people) don't know. 🤷‍♂️
To be fair the guy taught himself rocket science and now owns a private rocket company that lands rockets autonomously on a ship in the ocean.

Interesting thing on my EDD date ... as of 2 weeks ago it slipped from "Estimated Delivery: March" to "Estimated Delivery: April". However, I just looked at it today, and it now says "Estimated Delivery: March 5 - March 30".

View attachment 773000

Notable that:

1. This is the first time since I ordered (1/28/2021) that the delivery date hasn't been just a month name, but now includes actual days/dates as well.
2. This is also the first time since I ordered that the EDD moved backwards (was estimated April, now March).

I don't put a lot of stock into this, as I don't put a lot of stock into anything Tesla tells me just on general principal. But it's interesting nonetheless.
Yours is coming. I ordered 1/27, a day before you, and just got mine delivered. I think this is a good sign.

Took delivery of our LR X yesterday in KC. I'm sorry to disappoint but the car was nearly flawless 😁

I'd post pictures but I have not had to time to wash the car since the drive home and I do not plan on getting it out in this sleet/ice storm for a few days. The only issue is the drivers side door being misaligned by maybe 3 mm. No other panel gaps, paint or trim issues I could see. No issues with the interior at all. I'll update my row on the spreadsheet.

I'll mention a few pros and a con of the car as someone who has never owned a Tesla before.
  • 250kw supercharging is unbelievably fantastic. I hope they upgrade all the older 120/150 superchargers to this standard.
  • The sound system is insane. My in-laws have a couple higher end German cars and neither come close to the X.
  • 0-60 time in the LR is plenty for me. I'm not mature enough for plaid. What I haven't seen user post yet is how much power the LR motors still have at highway speeds. Its almost not fair how easy it is to accelerate from 65 to 85 to pass something that is driving dangerously (like a semi truck swerving)
  • The only con and might be user error. Does autopilot have to disengage to simply change lanes? (did not buy FSD). I'm trying to understand why the car cannot keep the speed while I initiate the turn signal and change lanes. My 2021 F-150 can do this while disengaging its auto steer function that automatically reengages once the lane change is complete. Before you ask, yes autopilot is better at every other auto steer or driving function than the F-150.

Does autopilot have to disengage to simply change lanes? (did not buy FSD). I'm trying to understand why the car cannot keep the speed while I initiate the turn signal and change lanes.

Yes, that is correct. Without FSD, you must disengage AP in order to change lanes. Disengaging AP via the stalk or the brake will also disengage TACC, so speed will not be kept.

In the past, there was an AP package available that had a feature set in between AP and FSD, it was called EAP. This package allowed the auto lane change and the navigation on autopilot, but no surface street FSD features. This package is no longer available, sadly.

You may try to disengage the autosteer by simply turning the steering wheel to make your lane change. With this method of disengagement, TACC may stay active so that the speed control is still there. (Haven't tested this, so can't say for sure.)

I really hope they go the other way around and supply an adapter for CCS cars to use the Tesla plug. Tesla's is much, much more elegant than the ccs bureaucratically designed unit. If you've not held a ccs unit in your hand, go to an electrify America station and do so. You'll be shocked at the size difference.
Betamax was superior to VHS in both quality and packaging yet VHS won out as it was an open standard. I expect the same here.

For L2 use which is most common, J1772 isn't materially different from Tesla proprietary. For fast-charging, yes, it's clunkier, but no harder than a gas pump.
So do you have the option to use the J1772 portion only?
Yes, here is the CCS plug on my Volvo XC40, with and without DC plugs exposed:
PXL_20220223_192844891.jpg

PXL_20220223_192855952.jpg

Why are we so willing to put up with Tesla?
Because there is not alternative. Though that is changing fast.
My wife will have zero tolerance for even one phantom braking experience with our kids in the car. Looks like the X is off the table now.
If you don't use AP or Cruise Control it'll work fine.
I'm no expert, but this just seems like a case of Elon/Tesla pushing ahead, stubbornly, with what they believe is best. Meanwhile, literally every other autonomous driving company you see testing cars on public roads is utilizing a robust (and ugly) suite of sensors that clearly goes well beyond just visual. Call me cynical, but I just find it hard to believe Elon/Tesla knows something all these other companies (who also employ really smart people) don't know. 🤷‍♂️
Elon is the smartest person in the world. If he thought of it, then it is the most correct and best idea. Period, full stop.

Nevermind that the rain-sensing wipers on my 2018 MS suck compared to my 2012 MS. I am clearly using the feature wrong.
Phantom Braking also occurs using Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) and it certainly happens on my radar equipped Raven Model X, I am not on the FSD Beta
Yes, I despise that they made TACC use AP code. In addition to phantom braking it will also slow down for curves. Drives me absolutely insane. I wish there was a setting for good old "hold the speed even if I drive into a wall or off a cliff" cruise control.
So do we think that this move effectively means that even for legacy vehicles that do have radar, Tesla will shut that off so that all cars are using the same visual? Basically a downgrade for everyone else? I would have thought that is how TESLA does things...
FSD is vision-only. So if you have a RADAR car in FSD Beta your RADAR is turned off. My guess is that for cars with AP, at some point they will freeze development on AP and RADAR cars will hold with that level/quality of AP. FSD will continue development as vision-only.

Yes, that is correct. Without FSD, you must disengage AP in order to change lanes. Disengaging AP via the stalk or the brake will also disengage TACC, so speed will not be kept.

In the past, there was an AP package available that had a feature set in between AP and FSD, it was called EAP. This package allowed the auto lane change and the navigation on autopilot, but no surface street FSD features. This package is no longer available, sadly.

You may try to disengage the autosteer by simply turning the steering wheel to make your lane change. With this method of disengagement, TACC may stay active so that the speed control is still there. (Haven't tested this, so can't say for sure.)
I have no stalk, only yoke ha. Turning the wheel disengages all of AP unfortunately.

Betamax was superior to VHS in both quality and packaging yet VHS won out as it was an open standard. I expect the same here.

That is very possible. Open standards tend to fare better with adoption even if inferior to other designs. There are exceptions, however: Blu-Ray became the standard over HD-DVD, even though HD-DVD was an open standard and endorsed by the DVD consortium and the discs were cheaper to produce. Blu-Ray was also a proprietary format pushed by Sony. The bottom line was that Blu-Ray's 70% additional storage capacity was valuable enough to override the cost factor.

This was a big part of VHS winning over Beta as well. A VHS T-120 tape on long play mode (LP) could store 4 hours of video, which was enough to record a football game. Beta did not have any tape length/tape speed combination that could do that.

Reactions: jkhanesq

View attachment 773000

Notable that:

Congrats!! 6 seater I assume…

View attachment 773000

Notable that:

What is your spec?

You do realize that it's been happening with the Model 3/Ys that DON'T have radar as well, right?
I have a 2018 M3 with Radar and like I stated most phantom braking events on highways and major roads have declined measurably since I received FSDbeta. So by going camera only I have a huge improvement and if I may add, the phantom braking isn't as hard as before.

I repeated Elons post and add my own experience and have not passed judgement. Just adding data.

For L2 use which is most common, J1772 isn't materially different from Tesla proprietary. For fast-charging, yes, it's clunkier, but no harder than a gas pump.

Yes, here is the CCS plug on my Volvo XC40, with and without DC plugs exposed:
View attachment 773006

View attachment 773007

Because there is not alternative. Though that is changing fast.

If you don't use AP or Cruise Control it'll work fine.

Elon is the smartest person in the world. If he thought of it, then it is the most correct and best idea. Period, full stop.

Nevermind that the rain-sensing wipers on my 2018 MS suck compared to my 2012 MS. I am clearly using the feature wrong.

Yes, I despise that they made TACC use AP code. In addition to phantom braking it will also slow down for curves. Drives me absolutely insane. I wish there was a setting for good old "hold the speed even if I drive into a wall or off a cliff" cruise control.

FSD is vision-only. So if you have a RADAR car in FSD Beta your RADAR is turned off. My guess is that for cars with AP, at some point they will freeze development on AP and RADAR cars will hold with that level/quality of AP. FSD will continue development as vision-only.
VHS won because it fit a 2hr movie and Sony Betamax could handle only one hour with US NTSC coding. How is it related? Consumer ease of use. And Hollywood needed 2hrs.

Sometimes its one thing and just one thing that wins or kills. The but but buts rarely succeed.

This is the only feature that tempts me into getting FSD…. Navigate on autopilot and auto lane change… but it’s just not worth $12k sadly… I really wish they still offered EAP I would get that in a heartbeat