Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do we have someone here that actually drives the refreshed X for MORE than 2 months and coming from another luxury car?
if yes, does the wait actually worth it?

the question is not towards the ones who got it recently because euphoria is still in play and not to those coming from a 1997 Subaru which for them chevy volt would be luxury.

trying to get an honest opinion since I find myself more and more looking at other cars
Yes. I came from a 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS-450 which after 50 years of Mercedes vehicles. It was a big disappointment. Especially after switching to my temporary ( until my 2022 XLR shows up ) CPO 2018 Model X. I find to be much more comfortable, more roomy for me, my customers, and my stuff I have to haul, faster, a joy to drive, easier to use the Nav and other electronic features, better a/c, much more intelligent with self presenting and closing doors, falcon wing doors, better self driving and more. Not to mention no gas or $800 oil changes and lower insurance rates.

Another long time lurker here who finally got vin'ed this morning!

Original order date: 2/21/21 - Model X LR Black/Black/20"- 5 Seat
Received "The Call" and switched config on 10/2/21 - Model X LR Black/Black/20" - 6 Seat

VIN 7SAXCBE53NF334XXX

Estimated delivery date: March 11 - 17

Pickup location - Paramus NJ

Anyone have insurance quotes for Northern NJ?
Thinking of wrapping/tinting upon delivery, any recommendations?
Man you had me super excited when I saw 5-seater there for a second :p

The plaid was never to keep. I ordered it to sell it. The only one I’ve ever ordered for myself was the LR. Ordered the plaid in August of 21. The LR I ordered in Jan of 21. And no he didn’t sell his original order. He offered to sell it but no one wanted it so he simply cancelled the order.
I have a feeling that those who had plaids and LR orders on their accounts are going to have the plaids filled first and then be kicked to the end of the line for LR. I’m in a similar boat as you, ordered my long range pre-refresh but just took delivery of our plaid yesterday. Only difference is we kept the plaid instead of selling it.

I have a feeling that those who had plaids and LR orders on their accounts are going to have the plaids filled first and then be kicked to the end of the line for LR. I’m in a similar boat as you, ordered my long range pre-refresh but just took delivery of our plaid yesterday. Only difference is we kept the plaid instead of selling it.
Do you have more details of your LR order? We can put it into the spreadsheet. I'm guessing you will get a VIN soon. I doubt they care whether you already got a plaid or not.

Received "The Call" and switched config on 10/2/21 - Model X LR Black/Black/20" - 6 Seat

VIN 7SAXCBE53NF334XXX

We are in South NJ, found progressive to be the cheapest for our two car policy. I’m having my car wrapped in Fair Lawn, NJ at Always Clean Detailing. The owner is a guy named Felix, super friendly and helpful, use to do detailing for the Cherry Hill NJ Tesla Store when they first opened.

Reactions: NJ2JZGTE
😎😎😎

Attachments

• A4A1B0BC-C77C-41E6-A1C9-D66895529CA9.jpeg
    A4A1B0BC-C77C-41E6-A1C9-D66895529CA9.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 88
We were riding a Metra train into Chicago yesterday and we go by the Union Pacific Automotive facility in West Chicago. Look at what was parked in the front row... It is white! I am telling myself that it is a 7-seater. (You believe me, right?) If I'm wrong, at least someone ahead of me in line will soon be a "satisfied X owner". The picture is cut from a cell phone video and taken through the tinted train windows.

1645982603330.png

Picked up the X Plaid. overall not bad. some paint issues. seats were dirty too. They were delivering 47 cars today at Devon. Amazing.

dull spot on the hood and sandy feeling (overspray?) on back upper quarter.

I attached the quarter panel picture that shows weird paint spray and condensation.

Car is fast. we had a X P100D , but this thing is crazy fast, comparatively. the yoke allows more room than S so it’s a nicer feel. car is way more nimble feeling than the ‘18. Drives more like a car instead of a SUV.

The front doors are so much more heavier duty and heavy in general, compared to our 2018 X.

Sadly I don’t think the Tuxmats we had for our ‘18 X are going to fit.

Here were the issues I found. I’m listing them just to help other people to be on the lookout for similar issues.

* wrinkles on seats and uneven foam behind material.
* passenger side - rear passenger headrest won’t fold when folding down seats
* dull spot on hood
* passenger front door handle has extra paint blob
* seats seem slightly stained
* passenger side windshield seems distorted
*driver side brake light has a lot of condensation
*driver side rear upper quarter panel has overspray on paint

FYI. it’s not 3 days to report issues anymore. it’s now “report issues before 100 miles”.
Tesla CAN and MUST do better than that. Look at the same area on my 2018 CPO temporary MX.

Attachments

• 4808559E-7F1C-4B74-BB33-541D7D0B4D62.jpeg
    4808559E-7F1C-4B74-BB33-541D7D0B4D62.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 76

VIN 7SAXCBE53NF334XXX

Always clean detailing in fairlawn, NJ ….. ask for Felix, he’s awesome….. also illmatic wraps in Hackensack, NJ they do really great work

Tesla CAN and MUST do better than that. Look at the same area on my 2018 CPO temporary MX.
Did you ask them to fix this? I'm pretty relaxed about panel gaps and such if they're not so egregious. I love my 2018 100D paint after a good clay wax-- I'll stare at the damn starship often with a smile on my face. But I could not tolerate this. What was their response?

I'm considering ditching FSD on my X now that the radar has been removed. Anyone else? The reports from owners just seem like it's a complete waste of money without radar, and Tesla has yet to prove that vision-only can ever actually work.
For your reference only: My 2022 Model Y came without radar, but the harness / plug was behind the Frunk, ready to be plugged in. So, my hope is that if Vision does not pan out, they can install the radar unit in the future...

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Meant to use a question mark in the first sentence. Looking for a real-world, concrete justification for the cost of FSD, which I have foolishly paid for in the past.
The most important feature for me is Navigate on Autopilot. On limited access highways. It is great to have the car manage itself on the Interstates. Frankly IMO it should be part of standard Autopilot, but today it is not.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long post, but here is my thoughts after the first week of owning the car.

Now that I’ve had my MX LR for a full week, I figured I’d give a review. Let me explain what my previous car was to understand my thinking when I think of my new upgrade. I was able to get an early version of the Model 3 back in 2018 (# 8057) which didn’t contain a lot of the upgrades it received shortly after. As a matter of fact, the performance version wasn’t even in production when I received mine. So, knowing that I had an early version of the Model 3, you can easily see how much of an upgrade this 2022 Model X LR is to me. Don’t get me wrong, I dearly loved my Model 3 as it was very agile and fast enough for me. But I’m not a person that drives fast or even on highways much nowadays. My usual day consists of taking the twins to school in the mornings and then spending the rest of the time working at my home office, if not traveling to another state or country to spend the week there. So, my driving is minimal with a few exceptions every now and then where I visit some friends for drinks and such.

Now that you know what I was driving before receiving my new Model X, let me tell you something… the MX is a dream. It feels very powerful and it’s super quick. I can’t imagine how much faster the Plaid must be because that’s just insane. Let me break up my review by section or part to go a little more in-depth.

Front Doors

The front doors feel soooo heavy. I feel like I should only use the buttons to open/close them and not attempt to do it manually. Just feels wrong. But they work flawlessly with one exception: self-presenting mode. Don’t get me wrong, the self-presentation of the driver’s door is amazing. But the issue I have is that my home office is probably 20 feet or so from the wall that’s close to the MX in my garage. So, if I walk ANYWHERE close to that wall and happen to have my key or phone on me, the door will open and not give any notice. I’ve found my car jamming to music on its own in the garage multiple times now due to the door opening itself without letting me know. I really wish Tesla added a setting to exclude your home from self-presenting mode. This would solve the issue for me. But for now, I don’t use the fob anymore and strictly use the phone.

Falcon Wing Doors

These things are epic. They are one of the main reasons I went with this car. During delivery, I noticed that the driver’s side FWD wouldn’t fully open, even after attempting to leave the button pressed. The delivery advisor asked me to put it in my list of issues. However, when I got home and tried it, they both fully opened without any hiccups. Every 5-6 times that I open those doors, it will open halfway vs the passenger side fully opening. Not sure if others are experiencing this or not, but that’s the only issue I’ve found with it so far. No leaks that I’m aware of or grinding when closing. Lighting is pretty terrible in the rear though when the doors open up. But I think that’s a tesla thing in general as lighting was terrible in my M3 as well.

AC/Heater

I know I can’t truly compare my Model 3 vs Model X in terms of the AC/Heating system as they are different. But I never had issues with air blowing my face/chest when placed correctly. With the Model X, it sometimes does it and sometimes not. Like when I say I want the temperature to be 68 and its 61 outside, it starts blowing hot air at me, even though it’s not cold. Not sure if maybe I just don’t know how to properly use it. I have to lower the temperature to 66 for it to blow normal air when the temperature outside is 47.

Front Seats

Super comfortable. Truly superior to my Model 3’s.

Rear Seats

Comfortable as well, although right now only the twins use them with their boosters. I will say that the boosters have issues buckling their seat belts due to the way the seat belts are. The female part of the seat belt is inside the seat somewhat and the way the booster seat kinda blocks them a little. So, I have to move the seats a little before buckling the kids each time. It’s very annoying, but not a deal breaker. Maybe I just need better boosters? I thought I purchased the best available after research, but maybe these aren’t the best FOR a Model X.

Sound

It’s great. Definitely better than the Model 3’s system. I really wish they had Apple Music as an option for music, but I know that’s coming… just not anytime soon.

Screen(s)

It’s taking me a little bit to get used to having a screen in front of my yoke. I’m used to looking at the big screen for speed and such. Version 11 of the software is super nice. There is zero lag and it’s just beautiful to look at. The map fills the whole screen too. My only complaint is that I wish I could control what the kids are watching from the front screen. As a parent, I really need that control, especially with kids being in booster seats still and not allowed to unbuckle.

Suspension

HUGE upgrade compared to the Model 3 as expected. However, when the front goes over a bump or simply a driveway, you hear a creak in the front passenger side. It’s odd that it’s always there. I will have the SC take a look at it. Also, if I raise the suspension to go up or down, it’s very noisy. Should it be?

Autopilot

I know some may disagree here, but after having been using FSD features for far too long now, Autopilot feels inferior. Like I’m sure it’s great if you’ve never been exposed to FSD, but I’m just used to the simple things. I know… you want to know which features. Let me list each one. A) Green Lights: with Autopilot, you have to press the accelerator every time a light come up if you want the car to continue without stopping. With FSD, it just does it. B) Speed Limits: FSD recognizes the signs and adjusts properly. With Autopilot it’s a hit or miss. I have to continually scroll my wheel to bring the speed up. Down will work properly. C) I miss auto-lane change in city streets. It worked just as good as highways for me and it made my commute to the kids school super easy. Autopilot does not have this. D) FSD had a LOT less phantom braking. Not sure what is up with my MX, but it has far too many phantom braking incidents that it’s making me think I may have a faulty camera.

Range

I fill up to 80% (252 miles at 80% and 314 miles at 100%). The average temperature here for the past week has been in the high 40s when I’m driving. My car is stored in a garage. For a 11-mile commute to the school it sucks up 12. So, it’s not bad. Last night I went out to meet friends for dinner and it was about a 52-mile drive. It consumed 54. Vast majority of that 52-mile drive was on Navigate on Autopilot, if that tells you anything.

Yes. I came from a 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS-450 which after 50 years of Mercedes vehicles. It was a big disappointment. Especially after switching to my temporary ( until my 2022 XLR shows up ) CPO 2018 Model X. I find to be much more comfortable, more roomy for me, my customers, and my stuff I have to haul, faster, a joy to drive, easier to use the Nav and other electronic features, better a/c, much more intelligent with self presenting and closing doors, falcon wing doors, better self driving and more. Not to mention no gas or $800 oil changes and lower insurance rates.
I'm glad you feel that way. I'll be coming from a GL 450 as well (if I get my X at all)

Reactions: DelPhonic1
not sure if anyone else has had this experience lately but most times I see peoples estimated delivery getting pushed back. Mine was originally 3/9-3/14, as of this morning it’s 3-5-3/11. Pleasant surprise but sucks at the same time because we are closing on a house 3/10 which might complicate things and this delivery range may change again. Checked to make sure it’s the same VIN which it is.
Whatever you do, don’t take out a car loan before closing. You will absolutely screw up your mortgage process. They’ll check again right before closing.