Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to ask repetitive question but did anyone who ordered in 2020 didn't get their cars? I ordered on Dec 2020, white ext/black int 6 seater with 20 inch no FSD originally. Didn't get a single update. Didn't even get TBD status once. I called Tesla and got that stupid "Your EDD says July so you will need to wait" answer all the times... My original sales rep doesn't respond anymore. I just want to know am I the only one who ordered in 2020 with 6 seater didn't get a car nor updates.
There are still plenty of orders from 2020 still waiting to be filled. We have one of them.

I’m with your thinking here, I believe that is accurate only if all possible orders are indeed on the sheet. I’m pretty sure there is a much bigger number of orders not on this sheet from buyers who don’t come to this forum and are aware of the sheet. Believe me I like the math, but we have to assume there are many orders not on that sheet.

We're talking percentages here. If I understand correctly, they're saying 25-30 VINs per week on the sheet. So if the sheet is a random sampling of all orders, the percentage of VIN per week should be the same as the general population of orders, here or not.

At that rate, all the orders pending are filled well before July.

My question is this: Is there still a shared S/X production line at Fremont or do they have separate, dedicated lines now? If we have to pause for a bunch of S deliveries, there's no telling what the wait could be.

Reactions: rt31301
What is the story here? Latitudinaly living in Canada so happy to wait for cold weather fix.
Good question. Much like the US, we've had our dates pushed back time and time again and currently sits at August. I would think that part of the Canadian delivery delay is that it has to pass Canadian standards (ie. adding French to all the warning labels, then rubber stamping it after a run to Tim Horton's for coffee and a donut). The only benefit is that, hopefully, we get the matrix headlights and whatever other new things come about and don't get saddled with one of those Xs that have been sitting around Fremont's track for ages.

Technically, you living in Maine probably puts you a slight bit more north than myself.

Sorry to ask repetitive question but did anyone who ordered in 2020 didn't get their cars? I ordered on Dec 2020, white ext/black int 6 seater with 20 inch no FSD originally. Didn't get a single update. Didn't even get TBD status once. I called Tesla and got that stupid "Your EDD says July so you will need to wait" answer all the times... My original sales rep doesn't respond anymore. I just want to know am I the only one who ordered in 2020 with 6 seater didn't get a car nor updates.
I see 8 2020 LR orders on the spread sheet.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
We're talking percentages here. If I understand correctly, they're saying 25-30 VINs per week on the sheet. So if the sheet is a random sampling of all orders, the percentage of VIN per week should be the same as the general population of orders, here or not.

At that rate, all the orders pending are filled well before July.

My question is this: Is there still a shared S/X production line at Fremont or do they have separate, dedicated lines now? If we have to pause for a bunch of S deliveries, there's no telling what the wait could be.
Yup. It all depends on consistency of production\VINing, and how closely the spreadsheet matches the distribution of all orders.

I suspect the spreadsheet is not going to match exactly. My guess is that it is biased towards older orders and people that have been waiting a long time, so it won't have as many recent orders. Recent orders are also very heavily biased towards Plaid because of all the people adding a second order to see if they get it quicker. Depending on if they actually take delivery of both their orders, that could bias things. I'm guessing people who are not paying as much attention to what is going on with deliveries (ie. not on forums all the time) are not making extra Plaid orders just for funsies.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Just came back from Charlotte SC(dropped off my 2017 X for FSD camera upgrade).

I saw 3 Xs(1 plaid and 2 LRs) and all of them had old headlights, taillights and Chargeports(VIN in 333XXX). Based on VINs it looks like it’s pre 2/14 Production. That said, one of the LR’s base price is $105K. So some kind of preference is given to folks who ordered at newer pricing configuration. Probably half and half allocation?

I've been waiting for months now to get my cameras upgraded in my 2016 S with FSD. Need mothership. Been sitting at 98 for months.

What did you do to get selected?

Except when Tesla took my order in January 2021, their manufacturing line was shut down and they new they would never honor the price or delivery date which they sold the car to me at. At the time of the order they had multiple model X's in inventory in my area. Had they been honest, I could have considered one of those.

Model upgrades to cars happen all the time. A new unsold car is a depreciating asset. You have to keep it up to date and new otherwise you lose market share (or you have to drop prices and lose margin). Its no different than most markets. Tesla just decided because they hadn't redone things in 10 years they would pass a 10% cost to the end customer, including those whose good faith orders they had taken.

I don't care what other companies do or don't do. Its poor business the way they handled it. They got caught in a lie. This whole model X refresh has been one big lie after another.
But they are honoring prices set from January. And the motor, suspension and interior are changed substantially...

Rivian has 7,500 tax credit, so take that into account. Big negative for Rivian is that they dont have heat pumps...so if you live in a cold area like MA, you might want to think twice. The Rivian is also less efficient...you will be burning a lot more kw/h and without a charging network
Definitely appreciate this insight. I also ordered an RS1 - now it sits at $97k - almost identical to my early 2021 ordered MX. Rivian's refundable $1000 deposit will likely come back to me soon. I am waiting for MXLR 5-seater - long wait probably (longer than 6 and potentially longer than 7).

In working with Rivian, it definitely makes me appreciate Tesla; Tesla is willing to honor pricing from more than a year before potential purchase - after price changes. Although, Rivian's price increase does seem to be primarily from a change in supported configurations.
It is early days for Rivian. Tesla did the exact same thing to Roadster orders in the early days. It was either pony up or the company was going to go under. Prospective Roadster owners did so and here we are.

Tesla is much larger now and so can afford to eat some margin on a portion of cars (like those w/ Refresh S/X orders from before the refresh. Rivian does not have that luxury and it is unfair to judge them when they are just trying to survive.

Further, I do not believe Tesla will honor the launch pricing for the CyberTruck reservation holders.
Good point......And, Rivian seems to have corrected now....gave everyone back their original pricing. So, "better than early tesla?"

Reactions: strider