Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not a money grab since I do and have done all my own ceramic for the last 10 years.

Even good PPF healing times are far shorter than their serviceable lives of the film. Ceramic coatings provide PPF extra protection against mechanical and chemical exposure. They reduce the wear from sand blasting and they provide an inert chemical barrier against corrosive sprays and bird dung. They add an extra shine that you only get temporarily with waxes or other temporary polymers. I've completely dispensed with any kind of waxing since using ceramic coatings. So not only does it save me a ton of regular detailing time it also reduces washing time and water use. Ceramic coatings on PPF, just like paint, make water bead right off. More importantly, the glass keeps the dust from adhering to the paint or PFF so that the initial blast with an agitator results in a car that already looks completely clean even before moving to the foamer.
Don’t get me wrong. Both products work really well and I use them. I just refuse to believe they work as well together. Just my opinion and am open to actual proof otherwise.

First time getting a date range. Ordered Feb 2021, LR, red, white, added FSD before the price hike, SoCal. Hopefully it’s the real end of quarter push.
03A6926F-1F0B-450E-BC79-C71915F5961E.jpeg

Don’t get me wrong. Both products work really well and I use them. I just refuse to believe they work as well together. Just my opinion and am open to actual proof otherwise.

I get it but your statement was unqualified in any way. Unless your disputing the claims I made about chemical and mechanical protection extending the life of the PPF and the time saved in detailing, then it may be your opinion, but it's not true. I agree that ceramic on top of PPF won't protect the paint under the PPF any differently than the PPF alone.

That’s such BS and a money grab. Just think about it. The claims on ceramic coating are because it’s hard, yes? Typically marketed around 9h hardness, yes?

PPF marketing is it’s self healing and protective, yes? To be self healing the material must be soft to melt in on itself when heated.

If you apply something with a 9h hardness rating to something specifically designed to flex and move to fill scratches, what do you think happens if both claims are true? You would have a heavily cracked coating.

The same applies to applying ceramic coating to leather chairs. If it does what it’s claimed to do it would crack and break off when the leather is sat in, flexed, moved etc.
I don't coat it for the protective of "9h" hardness. It's a more permanent sealant and water barrier. Great products also improve the color of the vehicle to be more deeper. All my cars are gray metallic and there is clearly a difference Stevie wonder could see.

I do agree that ceramic coating doesn't provide a barrier for physical protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: golferguy
Picked up the car today. Delivery experience was awesome. It was missing aero pieces on the wheels but SA took care of them. Thanks to this group, I was well informed what to look. Besides that everything was perfect!

More pictures to follow with floor mats.
Oh man I just drove by my SC and saw a red one. I gotta tell you that red with the black trim looks amazing! I am getting some serious color envy

Anyone with a March date range that went back to July, then got a date range again?

Was so excited to see a March date range, and subsequently crushed to see it back to July. I’m starting to lose hope, Although it seems to be a placeholder based on others experiences.