Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So does that one port accept both the Tesla and the huge one that you see on non Tesla chargers?
I was thinking there would be two ports there one Tesla and the other for the most common non Tesla charger, though the non-Tesla chargers I seen recently seem to be not working.
Also have you tried charging with a non Tesla charger or is there some software / hardware that will be needed?
The new charge port is CCS compatible if you have the adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: Edtreo
Oof. This question was discussed a little while back. There are two or three regulars here that have refused delivery.

The argument for this - we as consumers need to set the precedent that it is not okay to deliver a $105k+ car with so many issues. Refusing delivery is supposed to send a message to Tesla that what they are doing is not okay.

The problem with this is so many people - including myself - have been waiting for so long that to turn away a car that we need is simply not an option. 99.9% of the time the issues we experience upon delivery are not significant enough to claim Lemon Law on a car anyways. Almost all issues at delivery can be addressed by the SC later on.

The analogy I like to use - Tesla making the Model X is like ordering a filet mignon from a fast food restaurant. Sure the product is "luxury"... but in reality all the restaurant cares about is high throughput and high profit margin. In this model quality suffers.. but this model works - car reservations are sold out through 2023. Remember the same person assembling the "economy" Model 3 is the same person assembling the "luxury" Model X.
Problem is Tesla Corp will release Vin and sell to next person in line willing.

Oof. This question was discussed a little while back. There are two or three regulars here that have refused delivery.

The argument for this - we as consumers need to set the precedent that it is not okay to deliver a $105k+ car with so many issues. Refusing delivery is supposed to send a message to Tesla that what they are doing is not okay.

The problem with this is so many people - including myself - have been waiting for so long that to turn away a car that we need is simply not an option. 99.9% of the time the issues we experience upon delivery are not significant enough to claim Lemon Law on a car anyways. Almost all issues at delivery can be addressed by the SC later on.

The analogy I like to use - Tesla making the Model X is like ordering a filet mignon from a fast food restaurant. Sure the product is "luxury"... but in reality all the restaurant cares about is high throughput and high profit margin. In this model quality suffers.. but this model works - car reservations are sold out through 2023. Remember the same person assembling the "economy" Model 3 is the same person assembling the "luxury" Model X.
Yes I suppose so. But for this much $$ and such nice tech, everyone should also see a bit more attention to detail. Especially since the SC could be far away or never has loaners which makes things really inconvenient when you must have your vehicle.
I do wonder what they are actually doing in those QC tents we see in the flyovers? Maybe they need another QC tent to Make sure they are not rushing out rough goods.
Will be interesting to see what my “field model X” will be like after sitting there for the last 5 months and then getting whatever attention it needed before shipping this week.
If it has many issues and/ or will not accommodate my double bass it will be rejected.
I Feel for you guys that still have transportation challenges that I had too. So stupid with all the broken delivery dates and surprises. Unfortunately it’s the same at my business too. Maddening!
Just hoping my 2021 field model X is as good as my temporary ride - a 2018 5 seat CPO Model X that is perfect in every way, except old tech and mechanicals.
If not I guess I will reject the new one and keep the old one.

Model 3s and Ys are being produced nearly flawlessly. I mean tolerances are incredible. The process is extremely optimized for quality at scale.

Model X still has a good deal of built-by-hand (but in a rush) roughness. I think there’s a trend toward higher quality.

Absolutely. Elon has stated this a few times - the X is such a unicorn of a build. Tesla does it to themselves though and for no apparent reason why.

Check out this Sandy Munro video looking at the build of the S/X doors and how they compare to the 3/Y doors. The 3/Y doors have an incredibly simple design and straightforward manufacturing process (1:15 to 1:50). The S door that he tore apart is unnecessarily way too complex (the next 23 minutes).

If any of us wonder why they can push out one M3 every 5 minutes but 5 MX every day - this is why.

Yes I suppose so. But for this much $$ and such nice tech, everyone should also see a bit more attention to detail. Especially since the SC could be far away or never has loaners which makes things really inconvenient when you must have your vehicle.
I do wonder what they are actually doing in those QC tents we see in the flyovers? Maybe they need another QC tent to Make sure they are not rushing out rough goods.
Will be interesting to see what my “field model X” will be like after sitting there for the last 5 months and then getting whatever attention it needed before shipping this week.
If it has many issues and/ or will not accommodate my double bass it will be rejected.
I Feel for you guys that still have transportation challenges that I had too. So stupid with all the broken delivery dates and surprises. Unfortunately it’s the same at my business too. Maddening!
Just hoping my 2021 field model X is as good as my temporary ride - a 2018 5 seat CPO Model X that is perfect in every way, except old tech and mechanicals.
If not I guess I will reject the new one and keep the old one.

I totally agree, that's why I am maintaining the Model X Refresh Issues spreadsheet. I don't want Tesla to get away with their current poor quality standards.

That being said, I personally would not refuse delivery for something that can be addressed in one Service Center visit. I need the car. If you have the means and the extra time to spare I totally get it. But to refuse delivery in attempt to teach Tesla a lesson will not yield any results. It's like one person refusing to buy junk food in an attempt for manufacturers to make healthier food. Someone else is going to buy it. The demand is too high.

In my ownership of my 2017 MX the vehicle averaged a SC visit once every 9 weeks. Nothing Lemon Law worthy.. but I personally have accepted that this is what I need to deal with as the MX really doesn't compare to any other car on the market.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Elon has stated this a few times - the X is such a unicorn of a build. Tesla does it to themselves though and for no apparent reason why.

Check out this Sandy Munro video looking at the build of the S/X doors and how they compare to the 3/Y doors. The 3/Y doors have an incredibly simple design and straightforward manufacturing process (1:15 to 1:50). The S door that he tore apart is unnecessarily way too complex (the next 23 minutes).

If any of us wonder why they can push out one M3 every 5 minutes but 5 MX every day - this is why.

I totally agree, that's why I am maintaining the Model X Refresh Issues spreadsheet. I don't want Tesla to get away with their current poor quality standards.

That being said, I personally would not refuse delivery for something that can be addressed in one Service Center visit. I need the car. If you have the means and the extra time to spare I totally get it. But to refuse delivery in attempt to teach Tesla a lesson will not yield any results. It's like one person refusing to buy junk food in an attempt for manufacturers to make healthier food. Someone else is going to buy it. The demand is too high.

In my ownership of my 2017 MX the vehicle averaged a SC visit once every 9 weeks. Nothing Lemon Law worthy.. but I personally have accepted that this is what I need to deal with as the MX really doesn't compare to any other car on the market.

Good points. Back in 2015, the X needed 3 times more robots than the the S to build:

Indeed, the X is something so very special you cannot escape being drawn into it’s allure. And they know it!
I’m even to the point of falling into Tesla’s grips IF my 2021 field model X 5 seat / changed to 6 has a long list of quality issues - OR if the bass doesn’t fit because of the 6 seat design, switching back to a 5 seat and paying all the price increases!
Could this really be happening to me ???
Was this their plan all the time?
There is nothing quite like THIS automotive experience.

I figured I'd drop in with a quick little review after driving the new X around for just under a week. I'm coming from a 2018 (pre-raven) Model S for context.

Overall it's a pretty huge upgrade. The ride is significantly smoother and quieter. I'm sure some of that is down to the better suspension, but I actually had to roll the window down to hear someone yelling something to me the other day... the general sound isolation is just miles ahead of my old S. The other thing that surprised me is the performance. It's only slightly quicker to 60 on paper (3.8 vs. 4.2 in my S) but in use it feels much faster, especially in the 60-80mph highway speed zone.

I LOVE the doors (and so does my kid). The seats are much roomier/more comfy, and the seating position is significantly more comfortable for me w/ a bad knee. The sound system is also excellent (I didn't have premium sound before when it was still an option). I'm also a big fan of the new center console/cupholder/storage design... huge improvement. The overall fit and finish of the interior is definitely a significant step up as well. My ambient lights still don't work, so I'll probably have to schedule service for that.

I've come to like the yoke, though my wife isn't as big a fan. It's a little annoying in parking lots, especially if you have to hit a turn signal while it's turned > 90 degrees. At normal driving speeds/situations it's actually a lot of fun and feels really good to use. It's also significantly more comfortable for resting your hands on w/ autopilot engaged.

The rear screen is a good idea, but there absolutely needs to be a way to control it from the front seat (and also the ability to connect bluetooth headphones for the rear passengers to isolate the sound). I'd also like to be able to set which UI element comes up when it powers on, as music player is almost never what I want back there. This should all be fixable in software, though, so I'm confident it will improve with time.

I'm also a little disappointed they didn't use the refresh as an excuse to add an extra front bumper cam so they could do a 360 exterior view. The repeater cam view that you can have pop up for turns/reverse is good but a proper 360 view is still better IMO.

If you can't tell I'm generally thrilled with the car. It was absolutely worth the wait, though I obviously wish Tesla would've been more transparent about the whole thing.

My EDD window has been jumping around a bunch (mostly backwards), like this:

Monday 2/28: March 2 - March 24 (“yay, it’s no longer July”)
Wednesday 3/2: March 5 - March 8 (“cool I got a VIN and maybe I can pick up this weekend!”)
Thursday 3/3: No change, no text/call for delivery appointment, called Tesla and they were nice but not real helpful (“you should be getting a text soon” “sure, OK…”)
Friday 3/4: No change and still no text/call for delivery appointment (“hmmmm…”)
Saturday 3/5: March 5 - March 9 (“yeah probably not this weekend”)
Sunday 3/6: March 6 - March 10 (“er…?!?…”)

I know some people here had “sliding EDD window” syndrome before, what was the consensus/resolution? In theory, transport should not be an issue since I’m taking delivery at the factory. Might there be some problem they’re trying to fix in QC?

Bruce.

PS. I never got the promised email with a VIN, everything I know is just from polling the app / Web site.

Had some questions about paying the balance before taking delivery. The plan is march 12th. I asked if the car was there yet and if they inspected it yet and had any concerns about build quality.

For those who want a good laugh….

Attachments

• C78D6219-5F27-4379-8794-7C28D34A1D1B.jpeg
    C78D6219-5F27-4379-8794-7C28D34A1D1B.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 103
I was just in the Palm Beach Gardens mall Tesla store yesterday. Obviously no X, but they did have a refresh S (LR) on the floor. It was locked and marked “sold.”

Passenger side had aero wheel covers.
Driver’s side didn’t: it only had very plain wheels.

I was struck with how low down the S is!!! Neat to look at the yoke up close though.

I figured I'd drop in with a quick little review after driving the new X around for just under a week. I'm coming from a 2018 (pre-raven) Model S for context.

Overall it's a pretty huge upgrade. The ride is significantly smoother and quieter. I'm sure some of that is down to the better suspension, but I actually had to roll the window down to hear someone yelling something to me the other day... the general sound isolation is just miles ahead of my old S.
So interesting how this seems to be all over the place. Some stating so much quieter than their Raven or older X and others saying their refresh is so much louder than their previous X. Really has me more and more convinced that they're intermittently running out of whatever sound proofing material they normally use and still putting cars together with or without it.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr