Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get the goo-goo & ga-ga over the matrix headlights. I can virtually guarantee that those are going to be a disappointment. Here's how that's going to go:
  • At some point matrix headlights will be present in new builds, but there will be no software support for them. They will operate low-beam/high-beam just like regular headlights. It'll be this way for 6 months. And, since the matrix headlights are not designed to really operate in a "low-beam" mode, their light output will be inferior to the older standard headlights when in low-beam.
  • Software will then be released that enables matrix mode as a "beta" feature, the operation of which will be several grades worse than useless. The current Auto High Beam feature with the regular headlights doesn't work well enough to actually use and never has, and having the software properly control a simple high/low setting for the headlights is a prerequisite for making the matrix headlights work. Since Tesla can't make the Auto High Beam work, it's logical fallacy to assume they can make matrix headlights work.
  • 2 Years after release, they'll have software that maybe works acceptably in a limited set of conditions. At this point they will stop software development. Meanwhile, other manufacturers will have perfectly working matrix headlights that they've been shipping for 2 years.
This is the same thing as FSD. Navigate on Autopilot still doesn't work in any way that's useful (3 years after it's initial release), and making it work is a prerequisite for making FSD work. At least FSD is an option and you don't have to pay for it if you don't want to. For the matrix headlights, you'll just be stuck with them.

I'm picking up my X on the 14th, and I'm actually dreading the appointment. There is no excitement, no anticipation, and no happiness -- just fear. I can tell right now it's going to have flaws, Tesla is going to give me a hard time about fixing them, and this is after they've ruined the entire purchase experience already. I still have no SA that has ever contacted me, I've been talked down to by more than one employee, and I was told on the phone that I wasn't allowed to pick up the vehicle at the service center, that I was required to use home delivery. I forced them to reverse that, and the delivery is now at the service center, where I'm sure I will get chastised some more for whatever reason. They gave me a ridiculously low offer for my M3P ($36,000), and I had no choice but to take it because there's now not enough time to do anything else.

Worst company to deal with in the entire world, and that's on a list that includes Comcast and AT&T.

I think it’s smart to wait until at least headlights.

There are obvious ramp up / refresh teething pains going on and there is long term QA and Transportation issues with Tesla. The later won’t change for years. But the former could drastically improve over the next few months.

Many Workers putting these X’s together could be new since they shutdown the X for 1.5 years.

Not to mention the new headlights alone I think are worth the wait.

My 2019 Raven X has been great. No issues at delivery and no SC visits. But I don’t bring paint gauges and calipers either.
Your reply made a lot more sense when I got to the part about you already having a Model X.

I don't get the goo-goo & ga-ga over the matrix headlights. I can virtually guarantee that those are going to be a disappointment. Here's how that's going to go:
  • At some point matrix headlights will be present in new builds, but there will be no software support for them. They will operate low-beam/high-beam just like regular headlights. It'll be this way for 6 months. And, since the matrix headlights are not designed to really operate in a "low-beam" mode, their light output will be inferior to the older standard headlights when in low-beam.
  • Software will then be released that enables matrix mode as a "beta" feature, the operation of which will be several grades worse than useless. The current Auto High Beam feature with the regular headlights doesn't work well enough to actually use and never has, and having the software properly control a simple high/low setting for the headlights is a prerequisite for making the matrix headlights work. Since Tesla can't make the Auto High Beam work, it's logical fallacy to assume they can make matrix headlights work.
  • 2 Years after release, they'll have software that maybe works acceptably in a limited set of conditions. At this point they will stop software development. Meanwhile, other manufacturers will have perfectly working matrix headlights that they've been shipping for 2 years.
This is the same thing as FSD. Navigate on Autopilot still doesn't work in any way that's useful (3 years after it's initial release), and making it work is a prerequisite for making FSD work. At least FSD is an option and you don't have to pay for it if you don't want to. For the matrix headlights, you'll just be stuck with them.

I'm picking up my X on the 14th, and I'm actually dreading the appointment. There is no excitement, no anticipation, and no happiness -- just fear. I can tell right now it's going to have flaws, Tesla is going to give me a hard time about fixing them, and this is after they've ruined the entire purchase experience already. I still have no SA that has ever contacted me, I've been talked down to by more than one employee, and I was told on the phone that I wasn't allowed to pick up the vehicle at the service center, that I was required to use home delivery. I forced them to reverse that, and the delivery is now at the service center, where I'm sure I will get chastised some more for whatever reason. They gave me a ridiculously low offer for my M3P ($36,000), and I had no choice but to take it because there's now not enough time to do anything else.

Worst company to deal with in the entire world, and that's on a list that includes Comcast and AT&T.
36k for the M3P?!? What’s the details here?

It’s not too late to Carmax

Reactions: Elixir

Just walk away at this point. You won’t be happy. Your car is probably worth more than that. Go find something else. Might take some time but not Tesla time.

Reactions: DelPhonic1

I think you're right in that the potential for the matrix doesn't mean it will ever come to fruition in a reasonable timeframe. Thanks!

Good luck with your pick up. My range is March 22 to 25th, so plenty of time to figure out my car got wrecked or whatever is standard nowadays in Tesla delivery.

Also I'm bringing a checklist to go over the car and I'm pulling a @Stro and pulling on those seats because why not?

I also have no SA this time but I'm fine with not getting lied to.

Is there a CarMax near you? They offered me $26,600.00 while Tesla offered $13,000.00. If there is one near you go online get a quot. If you like it go there, they will check it out. They will then give you an offer. You have 7 days to sell the car for the offerEd price. Good luck all around!

100% inaccurate statement based on this video.

What a beast
More pix and review?
If I knew I'd get 315 miles with my LR 22", I would have gone for the Plaid. Not sure on your wheel config, but 5 miles for a lot more HP is soooo worth it. But it's also more expensive.
my Plaid with 20's should get 333. wow.
I never even made it there, they called me 30 min before I pulled up so I just turned around. I wish I would’ve just kept going and asked to see the car. The guy said everything else was fine though only the rim damage
Then you could inspect and if there are issues, already be underway to get your service appt.
I just realized the LR X goes 0-60 in 3.8 thats almost as fast as my MYP 3.5. I was thinking the LR had the old 0-60 of 4.4, I’m totally down to get the LR X if push comes to shove
LR X is faster than your MYP and M3P in the 1/4 mile.

I disagree with some of this post. But definitely take your trade-in elsewhere. I got 44K for my 2018 Model 3 LR from Tesla. It wasn’t even a Performance or AWD as they didn’t exist yet when I got mine. I’d imagine yours being worth more for sure unless it was in bad shape or had previous accidents.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Is there a CarMax near you? They offered me $26,600.00 while Tesla offered $13,000.00. If there is one near you go online get a quot. If you like it go there, they will check it out. They will then give you an offer. You have 7 days to sell the car for the offerEd price. Good luck all around!

Try CarGurus as well.

My current quotes on a 2021 MYP with 4k miles....

Tesla - $56k (although they are now requoting)
Carmax - $63k
CarGurus - $66k

Finally got my range from July.
B427179C-DDFC-4EAD-9E06-ED970D3EEA70.jpeg