Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never owned and will never own a BMW. I don't like them and never have.

You're about the third person that says I should just cancel. Kind of surprising, I thought there might be a few more people who would offer counterpoints to my complaints.

Really, no one wants to defend Tesla? Am I wrong about FSD, Auto High Beams, Auto Wipers, Nav on AP? Do those things work for others and just not for me? Or do I just not understand them?

How about an explanation or defense for being talked down to by employees? For no contact with an SA since my original order? For being told that I could not take delivery at a service center (total lie)? Are these simply anomalies that have given me a skewed view of the company, while everyone else has had great service?

It sounds like some people want me to cancel so that I would stop posting unpleasant truths here, so they can instead indulge in happy idealism. But if I'm wrong on these points, then change my mind. Convince me that my view is unjustified.
No, people want you to cancel so you'll stop complaining about things that we can't change. What purpose does your complaining serve? Yes, there is some catharsis in sharing your frustration. Heck this ENTIRE THREAD is catharsis for people that have been waiting a very long time for their cars.

None of what you are complaining about will change until there is actual competition in the EV market and Tesla's order books have gaps in them. Why would you expect anyone to defend Tesla's terrible Customer Service? Especially in this thread?

FSD and AP are garbage and will suck for years (you can add TACC to that since it uses AP/FSD code). Auto wipers and auto high beams also don't work.

The only thing I disagree with your post is about the matrix lights. While you are correct that the automatic matrix features will take forever and likely not work very well, there are plenty of reports from the 3/Y that the matrix lights are better than the old lights even in low beam mode and not using the matrix tech. They are simply better lights. I am looking forward to that.

For me, I simply don't care about all of the automatic crap. I like to drive. I am capable of manipulating the vehicle's controls to make it do what I want. I have been able to change from low to high beams for decades. I can see when the windshield needs to be wiped and activate the wipers or adjust the timing/speed of them. Granted by removing stalks and other physical controls this manual manipulation will be more difficult. The only "driver aid" I use regularly is Cruise Control and I use that mainly to keep from speeding.

I am buying a Plaid X in spite of Tesla's shortcomings because I can't buy anything with this level of performance while also hauling 6 people around. Since buying my Roadster in 2010 I can never go back to an ICE.

I am nervous about the quality issues. This will be our 4th Tesla and the first 3 were excellent (2010, 2012, 2018). We have had things break and repaired under warranty but the fit and finish were all very good.

The question you have to answer is do you think that you will enjoy the car once you receive it, even if all of that automatic crap never works? Will you be able to have a positive attitude when you approach the Service folks and believe that they are trying to make your car as great as it can be? You will need to do a hard cut in your mind from pre-purchase experience to post-purchase. While you can hopefully never speak to the pre-purchase people again, realize that you will have a relationship with the Service folks and will need to get that started on the right foot.

If you can, you can salvage the experience. If not, the only EV that comes close to a Model X is the BMW iX. If that won't work for you, you may want to stick with an ICE for a few more years until there are other manufacturers that offer a model that fits your mission.

No, people want you to cancel so you'll stop complaining about things that we can't change. What purpose does your complaining serve? Yes, there is some catharsis in sharing your frustration. Heck this ENTIRE THREAD is catharsis for people that have been waiting a very long time for their cars.

The only thing I disagree with your post is about the matrix lights. While you are correct that the automatic matrix features will take forever and likely not work very well, there are plenty of reports from the 3/Y that the matrix lights are better than the old lights even in low beam mode and not using the matrix tech. They are simply better lights. I am looking forward to that.

The question you have to answer is do you think that you will enjoy the car once you receive it, even if all of that automatic crap never works?

Yes, the thread is cathartic and helpful for all of us. I thank everyone for that.

I will take you and others at your word that the matrix lights, even in low beam mode, are better. That's good. I have not had any issues with the old lights, but any improvement in anything is always welcome.

Yes, I do think my wife and I will enjoy the car. That's why I bought it, despite the shortcomings. As for all of the automatic stuff that doesn't work, I've been working around it for 7 years in 3 other Teslas. I'm well-versed in not using what doesn't work, and enjoying what does. And I haven't owned an ICE since 2014, by the way. :)

My apologies for venting a bit much, but I think everyone here has something they can vent about, all of which is true and frustrating.

Yes, the thread is cathartic and helpful for all of us. I thank everyone for that.

I will take you and others at your word that the matrix lights, even in low beam mode, are better. That's good. I have not had any issues with the old lights, but any improvement in anything is always welcome.

Yes, I do think my wife and I will enjoy the car. That's why I bought it, despite the shortcomings. As for all of the automatic stuff that doesn't work, I've been working around it for 7 years in 3 other Teslas. I'm well-versed in not using what doesn't work, and enjoying what does. And I haven't owned an ICE since 2014, by the way. :)

My apologies for venting a bit much, but I think everyone here has something they can vent about, all of which is true and frustrating.
Definitely OK sharing a bit of limited venting here, IMO. Tesla fixes a lot of problems (the classic "dealer model" is a big one), but creates a whole new set of issues (build quality lottery, customer support, volatile EDD, Elon being Elon, etc.).

Waiting for my X has easily been one of the most frustrating purchase experiences of my life (more the quality lottery aspect than anything).