Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just scheduled my in-home delivery (LR 6 seats) for March 26 at 2:00 PM. .
I am in Houston TX, can my fellow Texans that have already received their X tell me if we are in charge of doing the Title , Registration and license plates, or Tesla will do it?
I assume that since Tesla doen't use dealers, we need to do it.
Please help.

Thanks

At delivery, you will get a 30-day temporary tag and a vehicle inspection report. Two weeks later, you'll get the registration packet in the mail. Take the registration packet and the vehicle inspection report to the DMV to register the car and get plates + window sticker.

No. But if you have to suddenly hit the brake hard or jerk the wheel strongly to get outta NOA, that'll count. Which happened to me a lot. I found myself tweaking the speed incessantly (NOA stalk) to try to prevent having to 'jam out' of NOA suddenly. At least in the city of L.A., it's excruciatingly difficult keeping a high score. I had to proactively and defensively to save my score, focus way way ahead-- get way out in front of potential hard brakes or following too closely's. Like when you're seeing a car shade into your lane, back off your speed RIGHT NOW before he makes his move into your lane. Because once he's in front of you too close(very normal and necessary often in L.A. traffic) your score is dinged big. You can't be on NOA non-Beta city streets for long since it's hardly developed at all. Most peeps won't want to be so intense on a drive, but if you want to be one of the Beta soldiers, then you gotta. In the end, it weeds out the ones that won't won't to handle this amount of perseverance. You gotta want to be that soldier.
Did you qualify for Beta Testing FSD? I'm in the que but not sure how long it will take. I've been a 98 for a couple months but nothing. Do you get a notification that you've been selected?

Reactions: msjodilynn1
Hey everyone, I finally took delivery of my Model X Plaid this afternoon. Black/Black 6 seater 22' no FSD. I wanted to come back to this forum and post my impressions and some thoughts as I found it helpful when others did this. For reference, I upgraded from a 2018 Model S 75D with MCU2. My Plaid does have the plaid badge and new charging port.

I inspected the car thoroughly and it was pretty much flawless, all I could find was maybe a very very slightly misaligned frunk, Yoke worm (doesn't really bother me), and some creases in a couple of the seats. No significant panel gaps, paint defects, or other things I have read about here. Here are my thoughts:

• I echo others to say Wow, this car is next level spaceship. It's an upgrade in nearly every which way coming from my S. 100% worth the wait and unlike ANY car on the road!
  • The interior is stunning. It looks way better in person I feel that pictures don't do it justice whatsoever. Seats are super comfortable, and the cockpit view is incredible. Love the horizontal screen and its incredibly snappy and responsive.
  • Unquestionably a smoother and quieter ride than my 2018 Model S. Even with 22's.
  • Sound system is amazing, it matches or beats my wife's 2021 Escalade system which to me was the best I had heard previously. Significant upgrade from the older S.
  • For some reason I find the regenerative breaking to be heavier than my S? the car really slows hard when I let go of the pedal.
  • I'm shocked to say this but I absolutely love the Yoke. I find it really ergonomic and comfortable especially the way I drive. I was very worried about this when I first ordered the car last year with all the criticism of it initially in the media, but I have found it super easy to adjust to.
  • Love the turn signal buttons as well, need to get used to it but makes a lot of sense.
  • the car is UNREAL fast in plaid mode. I can feel the power and quiet rumble of the motors when this thing gets going, wow, it is a thrill like no other. Even in the "sport" mode, it is faster than my old S which did 0-60 in 4.2. I can't imagine what it feels like in the model S plaid.
  • The gear shifting works well and is super easy to use.
Overall the car is just amazing, it will be worth the wait when you get yours!

One thing I was wondering:

Is there a way to adjust the A/C fan setting on the scroll wheels? In my old S I could adjust it using the right scroll wheel but I can't figure it out on the X.
Dang - looks great! Ya’ll have me refreshing my EDD hourly even though it’s been just over a week. Dreaming for a canceled order that falls into my lap!

At delivery, you will get a 30-day temporary tag and a vehicle inspection report. Two weeks later, you'll get the registration packet in the mail. Take the registration packet and the vehicle inspection report to the DMV to register the car and get plates + window sticker.
Thanks a lot for that info... so at the DMV you also apply for Title and pay the 6.25% taxes of the car value.... correct?

Thanks a lot for that info... so at the DMV you also apply for Title and pay the 6.25% taxes of the car value.... correct?
It looks like the tax is included when you purchase.
1647472669664.png

Reactions: msjodilynn1
Having factory ordered over 10 cars in my lifetime, I can tell you Tesla is amateur hour. GM and Ford have this down to a science. My last Corvette a 2022 C8 ordered end of July 2021. Order was accepted 1 week later. They have codes you can check to give you exact update of your status. You will soon get a "TPW" target production week. A few weeks before that you get a VIN. There are sources you can find out exact daily production. I was able to determine the day - and +/- the hour my car was produced. Sadly right now Tesla has no real competition. Otherwise, they would have to hire someone smarter than a fifth grader to manage production.

Except you can't just order online with GM and a dealer can't actually place an order for you until an allocation is released and some dealers are restricted to certain trims or packages allocation number vary widely based on passed sales.

The Tesla ordering process is awesome. Even the delivery process itself is years ahead of the traditional dealers. The waiting process sucks but we're not in normal times right now.

One of the reasons I like the LR, is there is no badge at all! That Plaid badge is severely Fugly IMO
I like the original Plaid badge. The new one seems like a sticker to me. I'd rather ditch that for a replica of the original one. But I want all those suckahs to briefly see the badge as they're left looking like they're standing still.

The new charge port is CCS compatible if you have the adapter.
I would disagree with that last statement.

If all Tesla cares about is money the FSD would be shipped first since it’s a software update at $10k of pure profit.
Well there’s a standard garage which it’ll fit, and a Model T garage, which it won’t fit.
sounds like "fix it on next service appt" policy is alive and well til end of quarter. Us buyers should beware. I hate to say it, but leave no stone unturned. They'll fix it at next service appt-- or you should refuse the car. Field X's especially should be close to perfect, since they may have already been rejected. I'd be happy personally to get a field X to inspect at this point.. But it's healthy for Tesla to have the same car rejected twice. It's a lesson for them.

There I said it.
My plan is to note every little problem before driving off the lot in Kansas City, drive directly to service center in Council Bluffs, leave car to be fixed, get a lift to Omaha airport where I can get a limo ride to lincoln where my old car will be.

Did you qualify for Beta Testing FSD? I'm in the que but not sure how long it will take. I've been a 98 for a couple months but nothing. Do you get a notification that you've been selected?
I've been Beta since October or so and it took a few months to get in. Along with Stro, we're hoping we can find a way or a person to transfer Beta to our new Starships without having to re-endure that safety score and driving like a grandma all over again. If you're score is high enough for long enough and you get in, they'll notify you in an email, and at some point you'll also get a big banner on your car center display asking if you'd like to 'opt in'.

It looks like the tax is included when you purchase.
View attachment 781811
I think it varies by State. In Kentucky you pay for sales tax when it's inspected. We're picking up in Cincy - going back to KY. That's the way our model 3 was a few years back. My guess would be that they already know your State laws and either add tax in or leave it off. Mine doesn't show the tax portion like yours does.

Since you've been here since only Dec 21 I'll explain.
Having been waiting since 2020 many of us have had EDD's get pushed out and pushed out multiple times. It's unique to have one pulled in then pushed back out but it happens. Tesla should not be shifting up the EDD until a VIN is assigned. How are we expected to plan when they seem to use an Ouija Board to figure out production planning. Read back about 1000 pages and you'll see what I and many others have been going though.
I ordered mine mid 2021 and received it 12/2021.

Separately, have you ordered a car from another manufacturer before? I ordered another car from a manufacturer in 2021 and my order was plagued with issues and delayed numerous times. You seem to think that this is an issue that's isolated to Tesla. All in all it took nearly a year for me to receive my vehicle and even then it was missing functions like telescopic steering wheel and 2nd key. The vehicle in question was about twice the amount I paid for my Plaid FYI.

I think it varies by State. In Kentucky you pay for sales tax when it's inspected. We're picking up in Cincy - going back to KY. That's the way our model 3 was a few years back. My guess would be that they already know your State laws and either add tax in or leave it off. Mine doesn't show the tax portion like yours does.
That's right, my MVPA does not include Taxes, license or registration fees...

Hey everyone, I finally took delivery of my Model X Plaid this afternoon. Black/Black 6 seater 22' no FSD. I wanted to come back to this forum and post my impressions and some thoughts as I found it helpful when others did this. For reference, I upgraded from a 2018 Model S 75D with MCU2. My Plaid does have the plaid badge and new charging port.

I inspected the car thoroughly and it was pretty much flawless, all I could find was maybe a very very slightly misaligned frunk, Yoke worm (doesn't really bother me), and some creases in a couple of the seats. No significant panel gaps, paint defects, or other things I have read about here. Here are my thoughts:

• I echo others to say Wow, this car is next level spaceship. It's an upgrade in nearly every which way coming from my S. 100% worth the wait and unlike ANY car on the road!
  • The interior is stunning. It looks way better in person I feel that pictures don't do it justice whatsoever. Seats are super comfortable, and the cockpit view is incredible. Love the horizontal screen and its incredibly snappy and responsive.
  • Unquestionably a smoother and quieter ride than my 2018 Model S. Even with 22's.
  • Sound system is amazing, it matches or beats my wife's 2021 Escalade system which to me was the best I had heard previously. Significant upgrade from the older S.
  • For some reason I find the regenerative breaking to be heavier than my S? the car really slows hard when I let go of the pedal.
  • I'm shocked to say this but I absolutely love the Yoke. I find it really ergonomic and comfortable especially the way I drive. I was very worried about this when I first ordered the car last year with all the criticism of it initially in the media, but I have found it super easy to adjust to.
  • Love the turn signal buttons as well, need to get used to it but makes a lot of sense.
  • the car is UNREAL fast in plaid mode. I can feel the power and quiet rumble of the motors when this thing gets going, wow, it is a thrill like no other. Even in the "sport" mode, it is faster than my old S which did 0-60 in 4.2. I can't imagine what it feels like in the model S plaid.
  • The gear shifting works well and is super easy to use.
Overall the car is just amazing, it will be worth the wait when you get yours!

One thing I was wondering:

Is there a way to adjust the A/C fan setting on the scroll wheels? In my old S I could adjust it using the right scroll wheel but I can't figure it out on the X.
So happy to read your review. Its awfully helpful to me too, to hear peeps del'y experiences. You've commented on just about everything I'd wanted to hear. Did your 2018 S have 20's or 18's? How are the doors/closing? Not too heavy or awkward?

The Tesla ordering process is awesome. Even the delivery process itself is years ahead of the traditional dealers. The waiting process sucks but we're not in normal times right now.

Ehhhh... Agree to disagree 😂

I love the direct-to-consumer online model. But even while not in normal times there is something to be said about the communication and one on one human interaction of a dealership. I want to look the person responsible for my order dead in the eyes and ask "when is my car coming" as opposed to the current model of SAs who know nothing about the internal workings of their company.

Reactions: Kitt9000
Having the car for 4 days now and this being my first Tesla, I feel a bit overwhelmed adjusting to the Yoke, swiping on the screen to change gears to move forward, reverse and Park.
Need to learn a bit on setting things on the screen. Mostly its been a discovery to adjust the settings.
Today afternoon, there was a software update notice. I downloaded it and then it said it would take 50 mins to update. I left it alone and a little while earlier I got a notification on my phone about the update being completed. Don't know what feature came in or what changed with the update.

The experience with home delivery, features of the car and feel are all the same as many have already reported in the posts above.

For reasons unknown, yesterday I got an envelop couriered to me with new license numbers and a document to be signed and returned to Tesla, I had to replace the other paper license number and the sticker on the windshield on passenger side with the new number and sticker. The note said, my registration is updated.
I got the nema 14-50 charger installed yesterday in my garage and ordered the adaptor from Tesla shop.

Reactions: T3slafan2500