Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added seat pockets to my S. The seat back storage is a mesh that is black and matches the seat back. It looks great and is very functional but my S has the matte black seat backs and not the shiny glossy black.

Very useful for kids and their legion stuff (especially masks and hats/gloves in winter).

I'll do the same if possible with the X if we find ourselves needing more storage though I think it's better now vs my 2016 S.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Well, they could not do anything for me today as far as corrections, everything after the delivery to be scheduled with SC, so I had to reject the car... Psych!!! No way I am rejecting my new X after 14th months of waiting and obsessing, for exterior cosmetic issues.
The interior is flawless from what I can tell so far.
I know Brian at the Lake Forest SC will take care of me, so I am not worried at all.
I love driving this car. It is so quiet, smooth and comfortable and the mix of features and tech is awesome. I will have so much fun discovering all the differences between my new X and my 2018 X.
It's a totally new car - nothing is the same, except for falcon doors... Congrats...

They were originally going to deliver the vehicle to my home in Bellevue but moved it to Lynnwood when we moved the date up to Saturday. Sadly, I learned that Lynnwood has higher sales tax than Bellevue, so it cost about $135 in extra tax. ☹️
I believe when you buy a car the sales tax is calculated based on you registration address. So it doesn't matter where you pick it up in the state. At least that is how it has worked in CA so far that I have noticed.

I've been hearing a lot on TMC about whether FSD is worth it lump sum vs. the subscription, but most is cost/benefit at $12K (current cost). I'm locked in at $10K from last year's order...is it worth it at $10K?

There isn't one right answer to this, it's going to be different for everybody. FWIW I did it but I totally understand people who think it's a waste of money.

Also note that people sometimes miss the fact that the FSD package includes more than the FSD Beta. It actually includes features that used to be a part of the EAP option, when that existed (as well as AP1 before that).

I decided to throw FSD into my purchase because I generally keep cars for quite awhile (my current Tesla is approaching 7 years old), and because I do a fair amount of freeway driving, for which automatic lane change and maybe NoA are useful. (Put another way, if I didn't get FSD by some means, it'd be a step down from the AP1 I use now.)

Bruce.

I've been hearing a lot on TMC about whether FSD is worth it lump sum vs. the subscription, but most is cost/benefit at $12K (current cost). I'm locked in at $10K from last year's order...is it worth it at $10K?
No. I bought my X in December 2019. Paid $6,000. I would not buy it again. The "base" cruise control works well enough. Will miss the auto lane changing. But the price is INSANE. ALL the hardware is the same in all the cars. Production is going up dramatically. The price of FSD should be going DOWN. If they spend $1 billion dollars a year on software and sold 100,000 cars. The costs per car is $10,000. If they are now selling a million cars the costs per car is now $1,000 per car. Apple use to sell software upgrades for their computers. For years it has now been free.
If enough people decline, Tesla will have to rethink their pricing structure.

I think the number one thing you have to answer for yourself is whether FSD is worth it to you......Math-wise 12k is the equivalent of about 5 years of paying the monthly subscription... so if you keep your car longer than 5 years then it makes more sense to get the package (especially if you can still get it for 10K) On the other hand the subscription gives you the flexibility to turn it off whenever you want...

In my case I would only want it if I am going on a long road trip and want to use navigate on auto pilot and auto lane change.... other than that I have no use for it tbh... I don't think navigate on city streets is ready or useful enough yet to pay for it (this is just my personal opinion and others may feel differently). So my plan is to get the subscription a few months here and there to coincide with any long road trips. I also know myself all too well and I know that I get drawn in by shiny new toys... so in 3 or 4 years when Tesla does a re-design or updates battery tech significantly I'll be upgrading.

To me, it is not. Tbh, I’m pretty pissed that they don’t allow transferring FSD if you purchase a new car, I paid $6k for it on my Model 3 and used advanced summon twice, I rarely use navigation on autopilot on highway because it still requires confirmation by shaking the steering wheel (not sure if they still require it as I haven’t used it for a long time) for lane change.

Feels like I’m paying money to be a beta tester, and personally I am not getting any benefits from paying for FSD. When robotaxi is ready, maybe, just maybe it’ll be worth the money. But do you really want people you don’t know to ride your $100k+ car without you in it? And that’s a big “WHEN”…

I love the base autopilot, I use it a lot, it works very well on highways and especially when there’s a traffic jam. But I won’t pay for it again to provide free data for Tesla…

Yeah, but isn't there a cost to repairing these cars that's probably higher at the Service Centers than at the factory? Wouldn't it be in Tesla's best interest in the long term to fix this at the root rather than patch and go? I'd look at the numbers at the Service Centers to see how much of the staff's time is spent in fixing new builds vs servicing/repairing customer's cars.

Of course there will always be issues that come from transporting, but looking at the issues as of late, it's clear that the Service Centers are less than enthusiastically repairing these new vehicles, especially since it's a quarter end rush. Heck, I'm not so sure that they're not almost rebuilding some of these cars. Something's got to give.
Exactly. I agree that when they look at the numbers, its way less cost efficient to fix the flaws at the SC, and the SC is not so well equipped to sort the flaws, which makes for grumpy customers like us. It's a triple negative. Tesla is trying to scale up in an extreme way, and they are accomplishing it. Accelerating the transition to sustainable energy has become number one, hence Sheer Volume > Make Pristinely Perfect Cars/Profit/Happy Customers, at least for now. They've made their play. They're accomplishing growth faster than Ford when they put out the Model T if Elon is correct. This will come at a cost. But they are getting better, at least from recent testimonials.

Relatively speaking the M3 and MY are delivered without issues. We have all been to the SCs, the MS/MX account for maybe 10% of the cars in the parking lot.

From a business perspective if it takes say 3 employee hours to service the car at the factory vs 3 employee hours to service the car at the service center (an example) - they are going to prioritize the EOQ push and getting profit up and put those fit/finish issues on the SC. Maximize factory output. It makes sense when you look at it solely from a profit perspective.

Again, not giving them a pass. Just sharing their thought process.
Maybe the SC is simply sharing the load. Get more cars out.

• Informative
Reactions: JimBob 909
I added seat pockets to my S. The seat back storage is a mesh that is black and matches the seat back. It looks great and is very functional but my S has the matte black seat backs and not the shiny glossy black.

Very useful for kids and their legion stuff (especially masks and hats/gloves in winter).

I'll do the same if possible with the X if we find ourselves needing more storage though I think it's better now vs my 2016 S.
can you share where you got that seat pocket? Abstract? RPM?

No. I bought my X in December 2019. Paid $6,000. I would not buy it again. The "base" cruise control works well enough. Will miss the auto lane changing. But the price is INSANE. ALL the hardware is the same in all the cars. Production is going up dramatically. The price of FSD should be going DOWN. If they spend $1 billion dollars a year on software and sold 100,000 cars. The costs per car is $10,000. If they are now selling a million cars the costs per car is now $1,000 per car. Apple use to sell software upgrades for their computers. For years it has now been free.
If enough people decline, Tesla will have to rethink their pricing structure.
The latest figures are that Tesla spends more on R&D each year than Ford and Chevrolet combined. Not sure how accurate that is, but yes FSD comes at a price. I wish they'd issue some sort of a future royalty once the Robotaxis all come together. Us Beta soldiers deserve it.