Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An important update after a service appointment. All the issues above were caused by computer overheating. It seems that the first 5-seaters were shipped with the malfunctioning software version 2022.3.102!

It makes the rear camera freeze, and you may hit a car thinking that itā€™s far from you when itā€™s actually right behind your car. This triggers the overheating issue. And that one in a combination with a hardware issue causes a dozen of other faults.

The hardware issue seems to be one of the following:
1. The lack of car preparation after manufacturing. The coolant in the computer cooling system must be purged from air bubbles. This process takes about an hour in the service center, but the factory apparently canā€™t wait for so long. So, cars are purging the air bubbles during the first days of use. If the overheating issue occurs in this period, then this causes a dozen of other faults as it happened to me on day 2 after the delivery.
2. Insufficient cooling system for the maximum possible load on the computer. This would be a serious design issue with no solution available! I bet on this option.
3. Malfunctioning computer. I donā€™t believe in this option. But Tesla service agreed to replace the computer if the issue repeats. Thatā€™s good of them.

The software bug that caused overheating was fixed in version 2022.8.3. Go to the service to make it pushed to your car. They also told me that they were thinking about recalling the software version with the overheating issue. They should really do that to save people from having an awful experience with their new cars!
I wonder if this all has to do with the freeze of Model X shipments.

If I recall Model S/X Raven FSD computer was air cooled. But Model 3/Y was liquid cooled and the reason why Mobile Techs could not upgrade them. Iā€™ll bet liquid cooled is way more efficient. No fans, no excess heat in cabin, no noise. Itā€™s probably just a heat pipe routed through the area.

• Disagree
Reactions: -motts-
Lol When I bought this house I promised myself that I would keep my garage clean and organized and only for cars. In my previous house my garage was so cluttered and full of junk that our cars always sat outside in the driveway.
While I understand keeping your garage clean and organized (but I certainly don't practice that) that garage was spotless, absolutely nothing in it. Good on you if you can keep that up!!!

Finally got a response to my email from Irvine delivery center. Had asked to switch my 7 seater to 5 seater and keep original pricing including FSD and my 2,000 upgrade discount to facilitate faster delivery. He sounded optimistic it could be done but reaching out to higher ups first. Will seeā€¦.
He came through. I got my order from 2020 updated from 7 seater to 5 seater and price kept the same minus $3,500.

Lol When I bought this house I promised myself that I would keep my garage clean and organized and only for cars. In my previous house my garage was so cluttered and full of junk that our cars always sat outside in the driveway.
My boss said this is how people live in California: people fill their garages with junk and park their $50K+ cars outside.

While I understand keeping your garage clean and organized (but I certainly don't practice that) that garage was spotless, absolutely nothing in it. Good on you if you can keep that up!!!
To be fair the floor had just been cleaned and polished when I took that picture. But other than that itā€™s how I usually keep it. I am considering buying one of those tool drawers and moving all of my tools in thereā€¦ just to give it a little character

• Funny
Reactions: lexus26 and jbrowdy
I wonder if this all has to do with the freeze of Model X shipments.

If I recall Model S/X Raven FSD computer was air cooled. But Model 3/Y was liquid cooled and the reason why Mobile Techs could not upgrade them. Iā€™ll bet liquid cooled is way more efficient. No fans, no excess heat in cabin, no noise. Itā€™s probably just a heat pipe routed through the area.
Iā€™m no engineer but Iā€™ve built my fair share of PCs, if itā€™s anything like liquid cooling for PC, there will be fans to cool the radiator which is used to cool the liquid. If I have to guess, I donā€™t think theyā€™ll pit in the effort to liquid cool a computer like that, just too much work to achieve such a simple task that can be accomplished by a few good old fans.

Ill bet liquid cooled is way more efficient. No fans, no excess heat in cabin, no noise. Itā€™s probably just a heat pipe routed through the area.
A liquid cooler generally still has a radiator, fans and a pump. Probably just as loud as an air cooler. I've seen cases in PCs at least with air coolers that are better than a liquid cooler, so I don't know they are more efficient. I think the main advantage is that they make it easier to move the heat to a less constrained area where you can potentially get more airflow.

Reactions: T3slafan2500
Any advice on when to apply for a loan with DCU? Current EDD is July and as y'all know it doesn't mean anything. Would love to lock in the interest rate
wait for your VIN.
My boss said this is how people live in California: people fill their garages with junk and park their $50K+ cars outside.
so true.

Reactions: UCF3
A liquid cooler generally still has a radiator, fans and a pump. Probably just as loud as an air cooler. I've seen cases in PCs at least with air coolers that are better than a liquid cooler, so I don't know they are more efficient. I think the main advantage is that they make it easier to move the heat to a less constrained area where you can potentially get more airflow.
This all, already exists. All they had to do was tap it. Pump is external so no noise added into the cabin. That's why it's more efficient (cost and energy). And who knows, they might use the excess heat in winter in places they want it.

Sadly true is most areas around me in the South Bay Area. I am one of the odd ones that parks two cars in the 2-car garage and has the random crap around on shelves along the walls.

That's why in some neighborhoods, you see GT3RS's, NSX's, $250,000+ cars parked on the street. The $500/Sq Ft is too valuable to park a car in when the car spot is literally worth $100,000 +/-.

Reactions: DelPhonic1 and UCF3