Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that ugly blue wrap permanent? Something is wrong with this world... 🤯 What's about covering seats in plastic film and using a TV remote in a plastic bag? Another great option - just leave the car in the garage, and use another car for driving.

View attachment 791245
It’s just temporary for the drive home before actual PPF is installed. If it’s a long enough drive it makes sense to do.

Had to drive to the Safeway in Fremont on Mission to buy Isopropyl alcohol and water for a makeshift IPA. The wax they put on there preventing the tape from sticking. A quick wipe on the areas and I'm good for the 130 mile drive home.View attachment 791183
Bro, does this wrap also comes in rose gold? that would be sick to have it matching my Rolex

It’s just temporary for the drive home before actual PPF is installed. If it’s a long enough drive it makes sense to do.

135 miles later and safely home. Going to pull the tape tomorrow morning and then nothing but short trips around town until May and then I have to tape it again for the trip back to the bay area for my PPF.

Had to drive to the Safeway in Fremont on Mission to buy Isopropyl alcohol and water for a makeshift IPA. The wax they put on there preventing the tape from sticking. A quick wipe on the areas and I'm good for the 130 mile drive home.View attachment 791183
Reminds me of the ol' car bras people used to stick on their cars, although in this case it looks more like a facial mud mask.

My 2018 MX was occasionally buggy, which is what drove me to look into buying a new one. That said, perusing the recent posts has me a bit anxious. Sounds like there are lots of horror stories out there with reports of buggy software, undriveable cars, multiple warning lights. We even have @Stro pondering selling his car. I have been waiting since January 2021 to get back into a Model X, but the volume of anecdotes is giving me pause. Sounds really painful to wait a year + for a car, fork out around $140k only to not feel safe in it.

No real point to this post - just thinking out loud...

My 2018 MX was occasionally buggy, which is what drove me to look into buying a new one. That said, perusing the recent posts has me a bit anxious. Sounds like there are lots of horror stories out there with reports of buggy software, undriveable cars, multiple warning lights. We even have @Stro pondering selling his car. I have been waiting since January 2021 to get back into a Model X, but the volume of anecdotes is giving me pause. Sounds really painful to wait a year + for a car, fork out around $140k only to not feel safe in it.

No real point to this post - just thinking out loud...
I hear you.
As Musk said last night, the past few years have been really tough. I believe Tesla will make things right and will continue to get better.
I’m pretty sure other auto mfrs have had similar problems exacerbated by the whole economic/supply chain breakdown/work shutdowns.

I’m also pretty sure you don’t hear from the majority of owners who are happy. It’s natural that you hear the bad experiences on a forum because the happy owners have driven off into the sunset lol

As I previously reported, this is an overheating issue. Currently, they update software to version 2022.8.3 and purge air bubbles in the cooling system from the service menu to resolve this issue. Agree with you that these measures don’t seem enough. Likely, there is a hardware design issue in the cooling system.

But are you telling that you had this issue after the update to version 2022.8.3???
I'm new on this thread, but I have the same "rear right safety restraint system fault" on my Model X Long Range refresh 20" wheels 6-seats FSD delivered Feb 2022. Updated to 2022.8.3 and message continues to recur.

I have a service appointment booked for April 26. In advance of that, spent 45 minutes on the phone with a service advisor who talked me through rebooting the car various ways (pushing two scroll wheels simultaneously; changing wheel diameter from 20" to 22", rebooting, changing wheel diameter back to 20"). This seemed to clear my other error message (unable to get full recording speed on sentry mode recordings in glovebox USB) but the rear right safety restraint system fault persists.

Speaking of FSD, I'm holding my Safety Score at 99 by never never touching the brakes and maintaining a 5+ car length follow distance by careful one-foot driving which means ceaselessly regen brake-checking the unlucky people who find themselves behind me.

Last edited:
I hear you.
As Musk said last night, the past few years have been really tough. I believe Tesla will make things right and will continue to get better.
I’m pretty sure other auto mfrs have had similar problems exacerbated by the whole economic/supply chain breakdown/work shutdowns.

I’m also pretty sure you don’t hear from the majority of owners who are happy. It’s natural that you hear the bad experiences on a forum because the happy owners have driven off into the sunset lol
Normally you'd be right But...this waiting room thread have people posting without knowing if their car will be good or bad and then they report when getting the car.
the fact it got to a point where people expect to have issues means the consensus is that issues are there where with other MFR issues are the exception.
I don't recall even 1 post with "the car is perfect" and there was no 'BUT' in it
Out of Many cars I owned, only 1 had issues and I'm kinda shamed to say to I expect the X would be the 2nd.

(refer to previous posts of mine before you say "so why keep your reservation?")

Normally you'd be right But...this waiting room thread have people posting without knowing if their car will be good or bad and then they report when getting the car.
the fact it got to a point where people expect to have issues means the consensus is that issues are there where with other MFR issues are the exception.
I don't recall even 1 post with "the car is perfect" and there was no 'BUT' in it
Out of Many cars I owned, only 1 had issues and I'm kinda shamed to say to I expect the X would be the 2nd.

It's healthy to lower one's expectations ;) When I got my M3LR I simply looked it over and concluded, "driveable", and haven't bothered to take it to the Service center since (there are no service centers in my country/state, would have to take a ferry...). I'll keepy my M3LR until any showstopper issues are resolved with my upcoming MXP, if it arrives before CT ;)

My current MX was only in SC twice and mobile serviced once.
First time in SC to check squeaking noise which was coming from brakes.
2nd time in SC to replace front half shafts.
Mobile serviced to reload a failed software update.
My MX does have everything that's people complaining about but those don't bother me.
We took an over 3K miles road trip last summer from WA to CA, NV, AZ without any issue.

rofl-gif-4.gif

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Based on my experience, legacy auto manufacturers have issues with supply. But I don't believe they have shipped cars missing parts.

Here I agree. This thread is currently 1531 pages of stress and complaints. Anyone happy with the car has moved on. I am sticking around to help answer questions and share an occasional 💩 post.