Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Team,
Another day and another shift in the delivery window. This would be 17th such in pretty much as many days. Texting Tesla just returns the usual canned message about "we will inform you when your car is ready for delivery". It has been a very frustrating experience and causing a lot of disruption with the family plans (just a single car). I am right here in SF Bay Area so it is should be easiest of the deliveries. Has anyone else seen this happen?

The ordering and delivery process has to be the worst car buying experience (for cars in this price segment at least). I love driving Teslas but when it comes to interacting with the company itself, it is never a great experience (sales or service). Just a few weeks ago I had a chance to experience buying a BMW with a local dealer and I must say that it was an absolute pleasure to have a responsive, transparent and timely delivery process (including pricing). There was a minor hitch that delayed the delivery by 48 hours but they gave me a loaner with apologies.
Until you have a VIN, the EDD is just an estimated window. Mine moved many times starting with August 2021 and moving backwards. Last EDD was July 2022. Then VIN showed up with delivery the same day. I was out of town but was able pick up the car several days later in Fremont.

Until you have a VIN, the EDD is just an estimated window. Mine moved many times starting with August 2021 and moving backwards. Last EDD was July 2022. Then VIN showed up with delivery the same day. I was out of town but was able pick up the car several days later in Fremont.
@jboy210 I get that. I had EDD of July 2022 but than I got a VIN assigned around March 22 when they provided March 25-April 2 window.
Now they have been pushing it out every day by a day. So they made me rush with getting ready to take delivery in late march and then radio silence.

For me, Plaid would be a downgrade because:
  • Shorter range than long range
  • Tires: less comfortable, wears out faster, not all-season
  • More acceleration is overkill for me
When I order a Model 3 in the next 12 months, I considered Performance but ruled it out as well for the same reasons.
Are they different tires? Had no idea thought the cyber stream wheels had the same tires on both.

I decided to go for the plaid mainly because the range didn’t seem like a major trade off. Configuring them the same with the 6 seat and 20s, it’s a 15 mile range difference so not something I’d probably really notice daily. But I would notice the nearly extra 400 hp daily soooo… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@jboy210 I get that. I had EDD of July 2022 but than I got a VIN assigned around March 22 when they provided March 25-April 2 window.
Now they have been pushing it out every day by a day. So they made me rush with getting ready to take delivery in late march and then radio silence.
Sorry. I did not realize you had a VIN.

There was a hold on X starting April 1 due to "software issues" and is now coming off, slowly. @sorka was probably the first one to get his car post hold last week in Fremont. I got mine the same day about an hour later also in Fremont. For me, there was never any direct communication, save for changes on the app to my delivery appointment. It changed multiple times such as from 3 to 2 PM. But I probably could have gone over at any time in the afternoon.

All deliveries are "contactless". This seems to mean you can do everything from your phone. But we walked in and filled out the paperwork in the delivery center. Then they gave us the spot number to check out the car. After you check it out, and if it is all OK, you use the app to complete the transaction.

• Informative
Reactions: sukhi and KidsEyeDr
So VIN guarantees a delivery soon? I have a VIN with Apr 26-May 6 window. I will be doing 70% down payment. Finished the loan process of the rest and I am planning to take take certified check for the down payment.

I don’t want to finish the payment transfer until I see the car.

Are they different tires? Had no idea thought the cyber stream wheels had the same tires on both.

I decided to go for the plaid mainly because the range didn’t seem like a major trade off. Configuring them the same with the 6 seat and 20s, it’s a 15 mile range difference so not something I’d probably really notice daily. But I would notice the nearly extra 400 hp daily soooo… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The range difference is too small for it to matter for me. I came from a P85D that had 252 miles brand new and was down to 230 when I sold it and it was still enough to basically drive anywhere with supercharging. The tire reason only applies to the first set of tires. I'll be switching those out for high performance all seasons like Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which did great out my Ludicrous upgraded P85D.

The third reason, overkill acceleration is really more about it not being worth the extra cost which I totally understand. Really glad I got my Plaid for a tiny fraction more than the current cost of an LR. $120K vs $115K.

Sorry. I did not realize you had a VIN.

There was a hold on X starting April 1 due to "software issues" and is now coming off, slowly. @sorka was probably the first one to get his car post hold last week in Fremont. I got mine the same day about an hour later also in Fremont. For me, there was never any direct communication, save for changes on the app to my delivery appointment. It changed multiple times such as from 3 to 2 PM. But I probably could have gone over at any time in the afternoon.

All deliveries are "contactless". This seems to mean you can do everything from your phone. But we walked in and filled out the paperwork in the delivery center. Then they gave us the spot number to check out the car. After you check it out, and if it is all OK, you use the app to complete the transaction.

I think you technically beat me since you "accepted" delivery in the app before I did ;)

Team,
Another day and another shift in the delivery window. This would be 17th such in pretty much as many days. Texting Tesla just returns the usual canned message about "we will inform you when your car is ready for delivery". It has been a very frustrating experience and causing a lot of disruption with the family plans (just a single car). I am right here in SF Bay Area so it is should be easiest of the deliveries. Has anyone else seen this happen?

The ordering and delivery process has to be the worst car buying experience (for cars in this price segment at least). I love driving Teslas but when it comes to interacting with the company itself, it is never a great experience (sales or service). Just a few weeks ago I had a chance to experience buying a BMW with a local dealer and I must say that it was an absolute pleasure to have a responsive, transparent and timely delivery process (including pricing). There was a minor hitch that delayed the delivery by 48 hours but they gave me a loaner with apologies.
It's partly supply chain disruptions and partly Tesla's incompetence. Or let me say that the supply chain disruptions are revealing Tesla's incompetence/immaturity in manufacturing. As you noted, while lead times may be longer than usual, other companies are able to forecast deliveries much more accurately than Tesla. I do not see this getting fixed. These back end parts of the company are boring to Elon and so he will not spend time on them nor invest in them. A few years back (prior to COVID), I had a minor accident in our Model S (deer strike). At one point, the replacement hood sat at the Dallas Service Center for 3 weeks waiting for a shipping label to be printed.

Anyway, you need to get yourself into a position to be able to keep your car until you get your X. That means either keeping your existing car to trade in to Tesla, sell to Carmax, etc. or you can do what I did which is use the Care By Volvo program. They call it a subscription service but in reality it is a 24-month lease that includes insurance that can be cancelled after 5 months with no penalty. So this way I just keep paying month to month until Tesla delivers my car. No stress at all.

Tesla wants to maximize deliveries per quarter. So they tend to focus on the East Coast early in the quarter, Midwest in the middle of the quarter, and West Coast at the end of the quarter due to the various shipping delays. So it's possible you won't see your car until June. But of course, I don't even think Tesla knows when cars will be delivered so you could get a VIN tomorrow!

Finally, stop logging into your Tesla Account! :) Tesla will text you when a VIN is assigned. Until that happens, anything shown in your Tesla Account is worthless.

So VIN guarantees a delivery soon? I have a VIN with Apr 26-May 6 window. I will be doing 70% down payment. Finished the loan process of the rest and I am planning to take take certified check for the down payment.

I don’t want to finish the payment transfer until I see the car.
Well, it's Tesla. It doesn't "guarantee" anything. It does mean that your car is at least scheduled to be built in the next few days (or could already have been built). But lots of things could delay delivery including failing QA at the factory and requiring rework, shipping delays, or any problems found at the delivery center during prep. To give you an idea, from VIN to delivery to the midwest, Tesla is estimating 2-3 weeks. I am halfway between you and the factory so you should expect another week for shipping the additional distance.

Good idea to wait to pay until you accept the car. I verified that I could connect the Tesla app to my bank (via Plaid) but cancelled the process before completing it. So I know I'll be able to pay the day of delivery.

Reactions: TheXFactor
1649868888129.png

Boy it sure would be nice if everyone had their order details in their signature...

It's partly supply chain disruptions and partly Tesla's incompetence. Or let me say that the supply chain disruptions are revealing Tesla's incompetence/immaturity in manufacturing. As you noted, while lead times may be longer than usual, other companies are able to forecast deliveries much more accurately than Tesla. I do not see this getting fixed. These back end parts of the company are boring to Elon and so he will not spend time on them nor invest in them. A few years back (prior to COVID), I had a minor accident in our Model S (deer strike). At one point, the replacement hood sat at the Dallas Service Center for 3 weeks waiting for a shipping label to be printed.

Anyway, you need to get yourself into a position to be able to keep your car until you get your X. That means either keeping your existing car to trade in to Tesla, sell to Carmax, etc. or you can do what I did which is use the Care By Volvo program. They call it a subscription service but in reality it is a 24-month lease that includes insurance that can be cancelled after 5 months with no penalty. So this way I just keep paying month to month until Tesla delivers my car. No stress at all.

Tesla wants to maximize deliveries per quarter. So they tend to focus on the East Coast early in the quarter, Midwest in the middle of the quarter, and West Coast at the end of the quarter due to the various shipping delays. So it's possible you won't see your car until June. But of course, I don't even think Tesla knows when cars will be delivered so you could get a VIN tomorrow!

Finally, stop logging into your Tesla Account! :) Tesla will text you when a VIN is assigned. Until that happens, anything shown in your Tesla Account is worthless.
I never received a text from Tesla. Not even to tell me the delivery date was today.