Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us not doing loans do you just show up with a personal check, cashiers check, or can you do an EFT on the day of delivery? Perhaps some other option.
If your bank is part of the Plaid network (no relation to Tesla Plaid) then you can pay via bank transfer when picking up your car. If you want to verify, go into your Tesla app and start the Pay process. It will ask you to choose your bank. If it shows up in the list, you are good to go.
Honestly, this was probably inevitable and I’m not surprised. As much as this will anger current Tesla owners it will not result in a drop in vehicle sales, and the people who don’t populate Tesla groups like this one will just shrug their shoulders and shell out $400 (or whatever the cost) for the charger cable kit when they buy the car (if they need it). Tesla will likely just add various charging options as check box upgrades when you place the initial order for the car so purchasers can select what best suits their needs.
This is a chicken $hit move - another in a long line. Look, it's quite simple.... Just provide a $400 credit to shop.tesla.com. People can buy a mobile connector, put the money towards a wall charger, by t-shirts and hats, whatever. Instead they are just nickel and diming people.
Do other EV manufacturers provide a charger when you buy their cars?
Yes. My Volvo XC40 came with an L2 charger and included both 5-15 and 14-50 adapters. Moving from my Roadster to Volvo was as simple as could be. Remove Roadster UMC from 14-50, plug in Volvo EVSE. Done.

I have ONLY used Tesla mobile connectors to charge for the last 12 years.

No market adjustment on my Volvo. I ordered it online at MSRP and it was shipped to my dealer. Dealer did the prep and delivered the car (got me connected to the app, showed me the features, etc). 5 months in and I haven't been back once. Hope I can say the same about my MX.
I've been through the KC SC several times since the beginning of the month and not only are there not any new MX there haven't been any new MS's delivered either. Might be a few 3's and Y's, but hard to tell. The normally pretty full lot is almost empty, except for what looks like either cars in for service or trade in's.
This is normal for Tesla. As it gets towards the end of the quarter, they deliver closer and closer to the factory top minimize transit time. Then when the quarter rolls over they ship cars with longer ship times (international, east coast) so they are sure to be delivered in the same quarter.

Mine is supposed to arrive in KC on 4/25 but I can't pick it up until 5/7. Due to the distance we can only pick up on a Saturday and we are busy on 4/30. I traded emails with KC and they are fine to hold onto the car until 5/7.

So if you happen to go by later next week, you should see it! Plaid/Blue/Black/6/20. If you do, please post on its condition! It was an EOQ car so I am nervous that it was slapped together.

Last edited:
With my last car I literally never used the included charger once due to this reason (always charged at work). In California (where EVs dominate) this is VERY common.

Am I one of the few that plans to use the self charger at home? Given charging at work and a dedicated 220 outlet in the garage, I don't see the need for anything else.

Am I one of the few that plans to use the self charger at home? Given charging at work and a dedicated 220 outlet in the garage, I don't see the need for anything else.
The situation with most "charge at work" policies (that I know of) is that the power bill is covered by the company. This is why most folks with such a benefit don't even want to charge at home.

Everyone else? Yeah it makes much more sense to charge at home.

Can someone walk me through the numerology of that VIN in terms of when this rig was or is being built and how I should be thinking about the April delivery hold, the rear seat restraint sensor sh*tshow and any other nuggets of wisdom from the collective brain trust here?

Should I be psyched or worried?

This will be Tesla numero six for us so I’m not worried about some normal and customary software stuff that’s still getting cleaned up with further OTA updates. But I can’t imagine how folks are dealing with the most recent spate of major fails around the rear seat restraint sensor, backup camera, etc. Hopefully that is being addressed for those effected and this rig is getting delivered with such issues already solved. Thoughts?

MXP 6-seater MSM/White 20’s. New York.
You should always be worried. Tesla's QA has gone into the toilet. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Go into your delivery expecting to reject the car. If it's not bad, you should be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think we know exactly what was with the delivery hold. I believe it was airbag related. Deliveries have resumed.

Rear restraint errors are still hit or miss. Some people have it and some don't. I haven't checked the MX Issues thread in a few days.

I have ONLY used mobile connectors in 14-50 outlets for charging and I have been charging Teslas in my garage(s) for 12 years. I will continue to do this with my MX.

I disagree with the lying part. We are on Tesla #3 and used the mobile charger only one or twice, and that was on the 1st car.

It may be because I live in California where public Level 2 and Superchargers are plentiful. Hopefully soon the charging infrastructure here, nationwide, and worldwide will get to the point where there are charging options like gas stations.

He knows his stated rationale for removing the option is bogus. I call it lying when you knowingly mislead people but on a scale of nefariousness, make of it whatever you wish. I know it was unnecessary.

He just needed to say they don't want or can't provide it anymore. Make it clear it is for NEW orders placed after whatever random date Elon decided to blurt this out. Then no controversy. My parents have owned a LEAF since 2016. They only use the provided L1 charger. They would just switch to the Tesla L1 for their Y. Seriously, they don't drive enough to need anything more than L1 other than paid supercharging (they also mooch from free L2s -- they are old and have a lot of time).

You can't tell those people they all of a sudden need to buy an OUT OF STOCK part just to drive their (maybe soon) to be delivered Y. Especially when you tell people no one uses them and everyone we talk to uses them.

Yea, we're not in Cali but North Shore of IL has a decent percent of EVs and Teslas. It is a bad move and an unnecessary move motivated solely by profit but then greenwashed as about e-waste.

You can't tell those people they all of a sudden need to buy an OUT OF STOCK part just to drive their (maybe soon) to be delivered Y. Especially when you tell people no one uses them and everyone we talk to uses them.

Yea, we're not in Cali but North Shore of IL has a decent percent of EVs and Teslas. It is a bad move and an unnecessary move motivated solely by profit but then greenwashed as about e-waste.

🤦‍♂️ existing orders are not affected.

Not the pings but taking a new loan while waiting on a mortgage is a no-no they tell you not to. Because during underwriting you are changing your debt/income ratio and may not qualify for the mortgage anymore. I know when I got my mortgage they told us not to take any new credit or open any new accounts until after underwriting and disbursement.
Unless you have tons of room on your ratio.

Reactions: sukhi
X in Toronto

Attachments

• DA0222FC-23CF-49DF-B4AA-C270D7334714.png
    DA0222FC-23CF-49DF-B4AA-C270D7334714.png
    674.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 9C478027-ECEB-4D21-A96C-AA5FB49DC25F.png
    9C478027-ECEB-4D21-A96C-AA5FB49DC25F.png
    414.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 696FA2BD-A861-444C-A41B-4D7B893E52D1.png
    696FA2BD-A861-444C-A41B-4D7B893E52D1.png
    728.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 0EA9BA26-8855-427B-88A8-0617018FB9A1.png
    0EA9BA26-8855-427B-88A8-0617018FB9A1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • F52B8231-1079-4E48-B460-D07748466223.png
    F52B8231-1079-4E48-B460-D07748466223.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
He knows his stated rationale for removing the option is bogus. I call it lying when you knowingly mislead people but on a scale of nefariousness, make of it whatever you wish.
In 2017, Musk said Full Self-Driving Capability will become available in “3 months maybe, 6 months definitely.” 😅 I doubted this and still do, yet I'm a sucker who paid $$$ for the feature.

Howdy, grew up in Winnetka but moved to the left coast in my 20s.

Reactions: retco and croman
It depends on your driving habits, commute distance, etc. If you have charging at work, especially if it is free, you may find the only time you need to charge away from work is on trips. I know plenty of people with charging at work and have no charger at home and they get by fine.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
It depends on your driving habits, commute distance, etc. If you have charging at work, especially if it is free, you may find the only time you need to charge away from work is on trips. I know plenty of people with charging at work and have no charger at home and they get by fine.
i have a MYP and MXP with only 1 wall charger in the garage. the only time i plan on using the mobile charger is to keep 1 car plugged in while the other 1 is plugged in with the wall charger during long trips

My model X plaid is scheduled for pickup tomorrow. The sales guy told me that it comes with the new Matrix LED headlights. But I'm not convinced. He sent me these pictures, and to be honest I'm not really sure either. Can anyone comment if this looks like the normal MX headlights? Or do these look like Matrix headlights?

Oh yeah. No you're 100% right. Tesla's communication on all of this was abysmal. Will likely become a case-study on how to NOT announce these sorts of changes.

That's my only point with my parents. They were just confused and they're not on Twitter but there was a moment where I thought we needed to get an electrician and a suitable EVSE.

I think, in 6 months, hopefully it's a non issue. Everyone can adjust now that it's new orders going forward but even I use the J1772 adapter for my charging at home. I just bought a spare for $50.

Reactions: StrayTexel