Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Email to: All Tesla Model X Reservation Holders
Subject: Delivery Delays

We acknowledge and empathize with your frustration over waiting up to a year or longer for delivery of your new Refreshed Model X. Many of you have waited far too long. Our sincere apology for the delays; please know we at Tesla share your frustration and are doing everything in our power to get your new Model X to you as soon as possible. Many have queried us as to the reason for the long lead time between your order date and actual delivery. The answer is complex, but we'll try to explain.

(what follows is total conjecture/guessing)

The original production schedule targeted late February 2021 to start Refreshed Model X production. Frankly, we were overly optimistic on the start up date. During production run trials we discovered several stations on the assembly line, particularly those equipped with robots, were not performing up to our quality specifications. It took two months of tinkering and retooling to work out those kinks.

Then we encountered supply chain issues as has affected manufacturing around the world mostly due to the COVID pandemic. Tesla is one of the most vertically integrated Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) on earth, meaning we make as many of the parts that go into our cars in house as possible to reduce dependence on outside suppliers. Even so, we can't make every part that goes into complex machinery like a Model X. Everyone has heard about the semiconductor shortage where several factories were shut down to attempt to deal with COVID outbreaks. Tesla was able to negotiate around the semiconductor shortage better than most auto OEMs by using different kinds of chips we programmed in house, but Model X production was still affected. That was just the start of it. Here is a sample of some of the other problems encountered:

— The blizzard that hit Texas last winter along with a hurricane damaged and delayed production at two of the leading foam manufacturing plants in the U.S. Foam has many uses; in vehicles like your Model X it is primarily employed in seats. Production delays, though temporary, created a chain effect where all automakers, plus manufacturers of hundreds of other products were forced to find new supplies.
— All automakers use rubber strips on the edge of windows for sealing and soundproofing. Factory shutdowns in Asia caused a shortage of rubber trim. Other shortages from audio speakers to the wood paneling that goes into the interior cabin. Name the part and there were probably ordering and delivery delays.

Early this year, we discovered that side airbags in the front seat were not deploying and inflating properly during a crash when the driver or passenger window as not fully closed. The fix requires a new airbag and reprogramming of the central computer. Cars already delivered have been recalled to correct the problem. We did have to delay further production for several weeks until the new airbags were shipped and arrive. To make it even more frustrating, the new airbags did not arrive on schedule due to the lockdown of the factory in Shanghai due to another COVID outbreak.

The Tesla team will get all this worked out. That is a promise. Our third party suppliers are moving heaven and earth to supply Tesla with the parts we need to make the quality Model X you ordered and deserve, but even they are dealing with delays from their suppliers.

Again, our sincere apologies, and more than a little cursing echoing what you're doing. We know it's hard, but please have a little more patience. The Refreshed Model X is a fantastic car you will love. Overall, supply chain conditions are improving. We will get your new Model X the moment we can. And thank you for joining the mission to move the world to sustainable transportation and for choosing Tesla. We couldn't do it without you.

Sincerely
Tesla Muckety Muck

(Would sending out a blanket email like that help? It's not hard to do.)

Is this like an open letter, or did they email this to you?

• Funny
Reactions: DelPhonic1

We acknowledge and empathize with your frustration over waiting up to a year or longer for delivery of your new Refreshed Model X. Many of you have waited far too long. Our sincere apology for the delays; please know we at Tesla share your frustration and are doing everything in our power to get your new Model X to you as soon as possible. Many have queried us as to the reason for the long lead time between your order date and actual delivery. The answer is complex, but we'll try to explain.

The original production schedule targeted late February 2021 to start Refreshed Model X production. Frankly, we were overly optimistic on the start up date. During production run trials we discovered several stations on the assembly line, particularly those equipped with robots, were not performing up to our quality specifications. It took two months of tinkering and retooling to work out those kinks.

Then we encountered supply chain issues as has affected manufacturing around the world mostly due to the COVID pandemic. Tesla is one of the most vertically integrated Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) on earth, meaning we make as many of the parts that go into our cars in house as possible to reduce dependence on outside suppliers. Even so, we can't make every part that goes into complex machinery like a Model X. Everyone has heard about the semiconductor shortage where several factories were shut down to attempt to deal with COVID outbreaks. Tesla was able to negotiate around the semiconductor shortage better than most auto OEMs by using different kinds of chips we programmed in house, but Model X production was still affected. That was just the start of it. Here is a sample of some of the other problems encountered:

— The blizzard that hit Texas last winter along with a hurricane damaged and delayed production at two of the leading foam manufacturing plants in the U.S. Foam has many uses; in vehicles like your Model X it is primarily employed in seats. Production delays, though temporary, created a chain effect where all automakers, plus manufacturers of hundreds of other products were forced to find new supplies.
— All automakers use rubber strips on the edge of windows for sealing and soundproofing. Factory shutdowns in Asia caused a shortage of rubber trim. Other shortages from audio speakers to the wood paneling that goes into the interior cabin. Name the part and there were probably ordering and delivery delays.

Early this year, we discovered that side airbags in the front seat were not deploying and inflating properly during a crash when the driver or passenger window as not fully closed. The fix requires a new airbag and reprogramming of the central computer. Cars already delivered have been recalled to correct the problem. We did have to delay further production for several weeks until the new airbags were shipped and arrive. To make it even more frustrating, the new airbags did not arrive on schedule due to the lockdown of the factory in Shanghai due to another COVID outbreak.

The Tesla team will get all this worked out. That is a promise. Our third party suppliers are moving heaven and earth to supply Tesla with the parts we need to make the quality Model X you ordered and deserve, but even they are dealing with delays from their suppliers.

Again, our sincere apologies, and more than a little cursing echoing what you're doing. We know it's hard, but please have a little more patience. The Refreshed Model X is a fantastic car you will love. Overall, supply chain conditions are improving. We will get your new Model X the moment we can. And thank you for joining the mission to move the world to sustainable transportation and for choosing Tesla. We couldn't do it without you.

Sincerely
Tesla Muckety Muck

TMC fanfiction is...interesting.

My local SA told me that customers should check Trade-in section in your order. If it's expired, your order will be put in incomplete status which will delay the delivery. He suggested to remove Trade-in since it can be added later before delivery but it's up to you if you want to keep it there.
I had an expired trade in last week. I texted the SA and he advised to leave it incomplete. I politely asked that they give me the value anyway which they did the next day. It went up $7K from the previous month. I was also concerned that if it had remained incomplete it would delay my delivery (that remains delayed anyway!).

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Don't worry. If folks have issues we'll know about it for sure. If they don't, they usually just ride off into that proverbial wide orange Cali sunset backed by palm trees, happy as clams. I wanna be happy as a clam.
I picked up a LR MX black on white with 22s In march and have had only one problem so far. Turn signal indicator error. The turn signals work, just get an error so it will be fixed next week. Fit and finish is an 9/10. Not perfect but only real issue is the rear seat leather has a fold in it in the corner. No panel gaps. Panel alignment not bad but I compared it to my BMW X5, brand new 2022 Escalade esv , Audi s8, and Honda Accord …every single one has panel issues that the other owners never knew about because they didn’t care to check. Nobody cares. We are a unique set of individuals that scrutinize more than anyone else which is good but we should also realize it and be able to reflect.

Like many others, I’ve ridden off into the sunset except not in California but in Virginia Beach.

Sincerely
Tesla Muckety Muck

Certain websites write more than a page related to a Single tweet by Elon and imagine such a long email from Tesla, those folks would be overwhelmed.

This is a good lesson/reminder to reject a car that has any issues at delivery. Especially since Tesla still appears supply constrained on parts.
100% agreed.

Roger. So, you would have removed it if you had the choice?
Yes sir! I've had FSD for a long time. I just miss the simple stuff it brought to autopilot such as recognizing blinking yellow lights and not almost causing accidents due to them blinking. Such a stupid feature that requires FSD for some reason.

Am in the same boat. Listed 6/7 items. They fixed 1, I had to take it to them 3 times last 1 month..
Am my MX is with them last 15 days. FWD door not open completely … finally they fix rear system fault (replaced control module).
Yeah. They gave me a loaner which was a 2015 MX at least. Although I almost preferred nothing as it stunk of cat pee, but hey... a car is a car.

• Funny
Reactions: retco
My guess is. They realized it was dumb to release two refreshed models that have a lot in common at the same time. All problems are multiplied. Hold off on lower volume X. Get S (and Plaid, fastest production car badge out first). Get the bugs out. Then ramp up X.
Umm, that's what they did, or at least tried to: Model S refresh was released first, and the Model X took months longer.

The closest thing to an issue is that the driver side falcon door does not fully open and the center console tray does not operate as smoothly as my S Plaid. At some point I'll have service check out the door. Otherwise so far, so good.
IIRC, the Falcon Wing Doors may need initial calibration. Park in an open outdoor location, go through the calibration. Chances are this will fix it, and you won't need the service appointment.

My guess is. They realized it was dumb to release two refreshed models that have a lot in common at the same time. All problems are multiplied. Hold off on lower volume X. Get S (and Plaid, fastest production car badge out first). Get the bugs out. Then ramp up X.
Essentially, what you describe is how they did it in the end - it's just that the X had zero production while the S Plaid and LR were getting started. Given that the S and X are on the same platform running on the same line, it probably couldn't be done cost effectively. I would imagine that retooling, re-configuring the assembly line, etc wouldn't have allowed for a mix of old and new parts and builds. What should have happened probably has to do with the last parts of development before trying to shut down the line to ensure a minimum of down time. Of course, everything I said is speculation because really none of us "spectators" really know what happens behind the scenes - and probably never will. What is clear, though, is that Tesla is still having teething pains with the refresh because it certainly doesn't seem like production is going smoothly.

Reactions: mswlogo

Sincerely
Tesla Muckety Muck

I probably would not read this even if it were from Tesla, tbh. Way too wordy, my brain/eyes naturally zone out when there’s more than one phone screen worth of text, lol

I probably would not read this even if it were from Tesla, tbh. Way too wordy, my brain/eyes naturally zone out when there’s more than one phone screen worth of text, lol
Come now, you know that each and every word is worth money! I want lots of words - even if they're utterly meaningless - just to assuage my feelings about the delays.

It certainly beats the character limitations of Twitter.

Hi folks,
If you have been following the saga of ever shifting delivery dates after getting a VIN assignment on March 22, finally positive news! After countless calls into a proverbial black hole, finally a SA was able to nudge/shame the delivery team into calling me back and lone behold, I am getting delivery on Saturday. Fingers crossed that it all goes well. It seems that the factory containment has been lifted (or so the say). Will keep you all posted.

Delivery in Fremont?

Bruce.