Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Essentially, what you describe is how they did it in the end - it's just that the X had zero production while the S Plaid and LR were getting started. Given that the S and X are on the same platform running on the same line, it probably couldn't be done cost effectively. I would imagine that retooling, re-configuring the assembly line, etc wouldn't have allowed for a mix of old and new parts and builds. What should have happened probably has to do with the last parts of development before trying to shut down the line to ensure a minimum of down time. Of course, everything I said is speculation because really none of us "spectators" really know what happens behind the scenes - and probably never will. What is clear, though, is that Tesla is still having teething pains with the refresh because it certainly doesn't seem like production is going smoothly.
Also multiply all that times chip shortages (I.e. new chips and new code for those chips). And probably other alternate components. And keeping the line running. Because it looks like they tried to start the X line last fall and decided to keep going until parts came in. Maybe just seats. So that complicated things too. And all those cars they did build back in the fall didn’t give them feedback on problems. They just sat.

Last edited:
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
hopefully they will mass release fsd by end of year as elon has stated. dedicated robotaxi car without steering or pedals in late 2024 is also bullish on fsd progress as well. I have an EDD oct plaid order, hoping existing MX owners get their fsd access before i get my car. rooting for you guys
As long as you're dreaming, you might as well ask Uncle Elon to give you a pony for Christmas.

To those who have written off FSD, consider reconsidering. FSD is a work in progress, but it is IN PROGRESS.

FSD has taken some really significant strides forward over the past few weeks or so.

I know because my regular routes have multiple spots where FSD has previously seriously struggled.

Today it was near human driving.

Yes I agree with the previous poster who said eventually FSD needs to have personalizable driving styles to accommodate the idiosyncrasies of different people…

But for NOW, just being “almost human” is pretty darn good.

IIRC, the Falcon Wing Doors may need initial calibration. Park in an open outdoor location, go through the calibration. Chances are this will fix it, and you won't need the service appointment.
I was wondering about that...I didn't see the option to calibrate when I was poking around but with the info you sent I'll look more closely. Thanks for including the link.

I said this earlier too.. Think of FSD as a glorified Cruise Control and there won’t be any disappointments. I used NAP all the time(sold my X and waiting for refresh) and it worked for me pretty well(pre-refresh Xs). We did a lot of long distance trips and I can confidently say Tesla did 90% of my driving.

FSD is no where near true FSD and for what it offers, I am okay with paying $10K. It worked pretty well on local roads too. And things Summon are novelty items for showoff which I don’t mind.

I hope Yoke, refresh X and latest software are on par(or better) with this expectation.

P.S: I am not a fanboy :D. Charlotte’s SC and all my previous Teslas have treated me pretty well and may be that’s one of the reason I am okay with what Tesla offers. Let’s see what the future holds

Email to: All Tesla Model X Reservation Holders
Subject: Delivery Delays

We acknowledge and empathize with your frustration over waiting up to a year or longer for delivery of your new Refreshed Model X. Many of you have waited far too long. Our sincere apology for the delays; please know we at Tesla share your frustration and are doing everything in our power to get your new Model X to you as soon as possible. Many have queried us as to the reason for the long lead time between your order date and actual delivery. The answer is complex, but we'll try to explain.

(what follows is total conjecture/guessing)

The original production schedule targeted late February 2021 to start Refreshed Model X production. Frankly, we were overly optimistic on the start up date. During production run trials we discovered several stations on the assembly line, particularly those equipped with robots, were not performing up to our quality specifications. It took two months of tinkering and retooling to work out those kinks.

Then we encountered supply chain issues as has affected manufacturing around the world mostly due to the COVID pandemic. Tesla is one of the most vertically integrated Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) on earth, meaning we make as many of the parts that go into our cars in house as possible to reduce dependence on outside suppliers. Even so, we can't make every part that goes into complex machinery like a Model X. Everyone has heard about the semiconductor shortage where several factories were shut down to attempt to deal with COVID outbreaks. Tesla was able to negotiate around the semiconductor shortage better than most auto OEMs by using different kinds of chips we programmed in house, but Model X production was still affected. That was just the start of it. Here is a sample of some of the other problems encountered:

— The blizzard that hit Texas last winter along with a hurricane damaged and delayed production at two of the leading foam manufacturing plants in the U.S. Foam has many uses; in vehicles like your Model X it is primarily employed in seats. Production delays, though temporary, created a chain effect where all automakers, plus manufacturers of hundreds of other products were forced to find new supplies.
— All automakers use rubber strips on the edge of windows for sealing and soundproofing. Factory shutdowns in Asia caused a shortage of rubber trim. Other shortages from audio speakers to the wood paneling that goes into the interior cabin. Name the part and there were probably ordering and delivery delays.

Early this year, we discovered that side airbags in the front seat were not deploying and inflating properly during a crash when the driver or passenger window as not fully closed. The fix requires a new airbag and reprogramming of the central computer. Cars already delivered have been recalled to correct the problem. We did have to delay further production for several weeks until the new airbags were shipped and arrive. To make it even more frustrating, the new airbags did not arrive on schedule due to the lockdown of the factory in Shanghai due to another COVID outbreak.

The Tesla team will get all this worked out. That is a promise. Our third party suppliers are moving heaven and earth to supply Tesla with the parts we need to make the quality Model X you ordered and deserve, but even they are dealing with delays from their suppliers.

Again, our sincere apologies, and more than a little cursing echoing what you're doing. We know it's hard, but please have a little more patience. The Refreshed Model X is a fantastic car you will love. Overall, supply chain conditions are improving. We will get your new Model X the moment we can. And thank you for joining the mission to move the world to sustainable transportation and for choosing Tesla. We couldn't do it without you.

Sincerely
Tesla Muckety Muck

(Would sending out a blanket email like that help? It's not hard to do.)
Bravo Tesla @Hephaestus muckety-mucks. We love ya, and.. Bravo.

What's The Wh/Mi on the model x plaid? and what wheels did you have?

I averaged 323 Wh/Mile on my return trip from Florida to Atlanta.

Hit a lot of spring break traffic so average speed was reduced.

22” wheels.

See attached chart. All data should be accurate other than cost.

Attachments

• F363484C-B482-4E9C-AC00-AC74D4DE7F29.jpeg
    F363484C-B482-4E9C-AC00-AC74D4DE7F29.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 76
Yeah. They gave me a loaner which was a 2015 MX at least. Although I almost preferred nothing as it stunk of cat pee, but hey... a car is a car.
A launch or two too many, with kitty on board.
To those who have written off FSD, consider reconsidering. FSD is a work in progress, but it is IN PROGRESS.

FSD has taken some really significant strides forward over the past few weeks or so.

I know because my regular routes have multiple spots where FSD has previously seriously struggled.

Today it was near human driving.

Yes I agree with the previous poster who said eventually FSD needs to have personalizable driving styles to accommodate the idiosyncrasies of different people…

But for NOW, just being “almost human” is pretty darn good.
Agreed. The latest 10.11 build has consistently gotten me past a couple of spots now that it would error out completely before every time. Way better. Along with that there is now more horse bucking in places. Wheel jerks and lunges. I am more used to them now so I like to play them out, and in the end without an intervention they do not do harm, except to my psychological state. Report report report. And then report. But the progress is quite significant in some areas. A bit of a step back in others but progress.

Wife: what's the car doing? It's stuttering 20x in a 1 foot area.
Me: It's just nervous making this turn.
Wife later: (looks over at me grabbing the wheel hard) It's become more herky jerky and less relaxed, kinda like you ;-)
Me:

IIRC, the Falcon Wing Doors may need initial calibration. Park in an open outdoor location, go through the calibration. Chances are this will fix it, and you won't need the service appointment.
I went out this morning and tried this, but there’s no calibration button or option in service or any other area of the menu. Not that I could find anyway.

I set a mobile service appointment so they’re coming to my work next Wednesday.