Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw 2 refresh white Xs at Tesla Highland Park. Hopefully they've restarted domestic deliveries.
Glad to hear that. Ran by the KC SC yesterday and there weren't any refreshed S's or X's in the parking lot. It's been that way since the mad rush of Q1 deliveries at the end of March. Here's to the hope that the VIN spigot is reopening and we'll start seeing some positive movement again!

For the love of god, can guys understand that you can take the 100 grand or so that you'd pay cash for your X, finance that and take that same cash and shovel heavily into Tesla stock, you'll quadruple that money in 4 years and buy a 2nd Model X, a Cybertruck and Y are 3 for the kids then? Or hold long? Tesla stock today is like Amazon, Apple, Google and Microsoft were after their first 10 years, but will have more explosive gains than all of those. And look what those companies have been doing since! Take advantage.

Accountants don't understand it, because they are still living in the old models of how car companies work, and Tesla is on a different, more disruptive level. Think of the Model T. Think of the iPhone 2 or iPhone 3.
I get the math. In general, I agree with putting money on the market when returns are higher than interest rates. But, I have a hard time convincing myself that sticking that money into a single equity (Tesla or other) will predictably make me money over the term I would take out a loan. I have managers actively managing non-qualified money, and YTD, I am -5%. On top of that, I pay my advisor 1%. This with the background of interest rates that are higher than expected returns.

I realize this approach is really short sighted. Hopefully, the market will make a huge comeback during the life of a potential loan. But, even if it does, I'd be stuck with current interest rates (I don't plan on sticking money into DCU just to get a loan, nor do I expect rates to stay low by the time I get an actual VIN and/or vehicle).

I wish I had a crystal ball and I am trying not to time the market or make emotional decisions.

Investing and financing seems to come up ever few hundred pages, so I guess we were due for a refresher!

This epic, awesome, helpful thread has hit many milestones over the last 14 months including over 30,000 posts on over 1,500 pages. It's about to hit another milestone with 3 million views...incredible!

One of the recurring themes is folks fearing they will be the last one here and they will be tasked with turning out the lights. This led me to be curious about whether the pace of posting comments was slowing. It isn't slowing as shown in the graph below. I'm still convinced I'll be the last to get my X 😁.

View attachment 789289
When I posted the last page count graph on 4/2 the general consensus was that this thread would slow down because of the pause that was expected in VINs. The VIN slowdown has happened but there was only a small page count slowdown as shown in the graph below. Let's hope the MX spigot is starting to open again.
1650897560895.png

Well, I have a 338xxx VIN (Red/White/20) and scheduled delivery for 4/30 in Devon, PA. The VIN came through last week after a few rounds of 3-week intervals changing to July and back. They said the car is expected to arrive on 4/26, and there's still the fine print that the delivery date may change depending on the condition of the car. 🤞 The person I spoke to there said the cars they've been receiving have been in great shape... though I hardly expected him to tell a buyer "yeah we get a lot of garbage."

Speaking of money, when I asked my advisor about the $138k hit after tag and taxes for my MXP they had this to say:

"When you need the money for your new car – let me know and I will get it transferred to your account. DO NOT try to finance it. Houses are one thing – as the interest does qualify as a deduction – but interest on cars is not deductible. We will just cash in some of the bonds we have in the portfolio and get you the money."

They've been in the financial game for longer than I've been alive, so I trust them, but still another side of me thinks if I could get a sub 2-4% loan then wouldn't it make sense to just cough up the interest and hope the capital retained can make up for it in the long game over the life of the loan?!?
It's all about the Fed. If you think they will stay behind the inflation curve, getting a fixed interest loan now makes sense as you will be paying it back with cheaper dollars in the future. But if you think that the Fed has been embarrassed by recent inflation numbers and they will start hiking rates aggressively, then growth stocks along with bond portfolios are going to get hammered. In that case, taking some profits and buying a car is a smart idea. Personally, I agree with your advisor to lighten up on bonds now. I think the Fed will hike until the market breaks and we get a recession (late this year or early next year). Then they will start easing again (QE5+).

Reactions: msjodilynn1
Personally speaking, I loathe being a debtor. I know that loans are cheap and one might make more by arbitraging between investments and loans. But for me, this all gets erased by the hassle and stress of the loan. Case in point: the last time I paid off a car loan (on my 2014 Model S), the credit union was still listed as owner on the registration. So my wife and I had to take 2 hours to go to the Department of Licensing to get a fresh title, wait a few weeks for the updated registration, communicate it with our insurance, etc. My time and hassle is worth more than the financial benefit of the loan. Never again.

Hello! I have been lurking here for some time now... Received a VIN this morning 338xxx, Order date 8/21 Plaid/blue/white/6 (originally 7)/20/no FSD/Burbank... Figured I might give someone else out there a data point.
Same all but with black interior. Hopefully this will bode well for me getting a VIN soon too. But I won't get my hopes up.

Reactions: jbrowdy
hello ladies and gentlemen... I see this place is still rocking at 1600 pages now wow! Figured I would give you guys an update since you can probably use the distraction more than any other threads here:

So since the kids had spring break last week, we decided on a whim to drive down to our Tampa house and spend the week there, going back and forth to the parks in Orlando and visiting some friends, etc...

The trip is roughly about 1,100 miles each way. This would be our first big trip in an EV so I was a bit nervous and making sure I had everything in order.... mapped it out on ABRP, made sure I had plugshare all set up, etc.. I was also a little concerned with the issues I had been reading about like the car freaking out at superchargers or the "rear restraint" error, etc...

I am happy to report that I had zero issues with the car (just a small issue but no fault of the car... more on that later)

Driving down I wanted to follow ABRP but between getting the kids settled, running to the bathroom, grabbing something to eat, etc... etc... I didn't really have time to mess around with and override so I just went with Tesla's guidance, and it really wasn't that bad.... One thing I learned though it seems like it overestimates your range left at destination... so for example it would tell me I will arrive with about 5% which I am comfortable with.... and in reality I was arriving with 16-20% I just let it be and continued to charge until it said 5%... I'll mess around with that next trip..... But overall the trip was smooth, the car performed amazingly.... Only small complaint is that the car would shake a little when going over 85, perhaps that has to do with the quality of the road I was on?

I have a nema 14-50 on the property in FL so I would just charge at home, with the mobile connector I was getting 26/mph which surprised me, I was expecting more like 17 or so.

Now for the issue and the one downer of the trip.. while driving some kind of metal sheet fell off a truck ahead of me, I took over for autopilot to swerve and avoid it... and I succeeded for the most part but I was just a hair too late.... the sheet must have clipped my wheel and now I have a pretty noticeable chip in my front driver side wheel :( anybody have any recommendations on what I could use to paint that?

Driving back up was more of the same, I once again followed the Tesla guidance... a 17 hour trip took about 20 hours... but I did hit some gnarly pockets of traffic, and we made one stop that lasted about 45min in order to eat lunch so overall not bad at all...

I am usually the type that wants to get to my destination as fast as possible with as little stops as possible... but doing the EV life was actually not bad, the stops helped me stretch out and keep awake.

TLDR: took a 2200 mile road trip this past week... Car performed great... none of the issues plaguing other MXs.... clipped a metal sheet on the highway small chip in wheel... Tesla navigation/charging suggestions worked great.

Well, I have a 338xxx VIN (Red/White/20) and scheduled delivery for 4/30 in Devon, PA. The VIN came through last week after a few rounds of 3-week intervals changing to July and back. They said the car is expected to arrive on 4/26, and there's still the fine print that the delivery date may change depending on the condition of the car. 🤞 The person I spoke to there said the cars they've been receiving have been in great shape... though I hardly expected him to tell a buyer "yeah we get a lot of garbage."
Honestly, I will not hold my breath. Based on at least 3 first hand data points and couple of posting here, it seems they are still struggling with the airbag issue. I suspect that the supposed replacement fix is not resolving the issue. Hoping it is just a software issue versus a HW issue that is till persisting.

As I noted my delivery scheduled for Saturday was canceled an hour before the delivery time. They told me that despite the fix, my car was showing airbag warning and it was a unique case. Of course it was not a unique issue as now I am aware of two more instances where they cancelled the delivery at the last minute because of the same issue.