Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SA not only responded but provided an interesting tidbit that at least I wasn't aware of (maybe others have heard the same and shared here previously). Tl;dr is my position in the queue is not based on my order date (5/31/21) but rather based on when I completed my profile (apparently 7/16/21). Very annoying, and I wish this had been made clear at the time:

Our system is currently building cars in the order of profile completion. When I tried to see if I could expedite your VIN, I received this response: "Orders that are profile submitted before 2/10 will be sequenced by profile submission date." This means you're in the queue based on 7.16.21. I promise that we're working on getting your VIN; we have a backlog.

When I asked for more clarity, she shared this:

Great question! When you order, you're asked to complete five tasks: Contact Information, Registration, Trade-in, Payment, and Delivery Type. The moment those tasks are complete, your profile is marked as complete. You completed these items on 7.16.21.
We are starting to see more Xs come out by the day, and we're currently working through those who ordered and completed their profiles between April and mid-May of 2021.

Last edited:
The MXLR EDD moves are likely due to the China shut downs. Tesla needs to do everything they can to make up for the lack of Shanghai production. With demand as high as it is, moving all deliveries to higher margin cars is a feasible survival move to salvage the quarter. If the ability to get the old price is available, switching to Plaid is not a terrible option. If this drags out too long, I can see them refunding the order fees and canceling cars that were sold/offered too cheap.

I am hopeful this is just another July 2022. Someone else can get nearly the same date if you ordered today....Jan 2023 to April 2023.

I am June 2021 order - so not the oldest of orders (MX, Silver, Cream, 22", No FSD, 5 seat).

It does seems to behoove Tesla, if they continue to honor old pricing, to get the older orders off their books as quickly as possible - with even normal inflation, materials, etc...

Reactions: honeyfist301
Ive been lurking this thread since page 400'ish. I have an August order LR 5 seater that as also bumped back to Dec-April 2023. something to note is its the same date range if you were to order a new one now. If I had to guess this looks like a bad code push that did an unintended bulk update since it seems everyone with a July EDD now has this. It will be a fun COE to read if Im right.

I think it's all about bunches of internal manufacturing/distribution priorities that we'll never know. All to get as many cars out in that quarter as possible. What ever practices in that chain yield higher volume for that week, then do that. Next week it could be different. All of these take priority over who ordered earliest or should get their car first because it's their 5th Tesla, etc. I wish it was different.
Agreed. I think someone walks the warehouse and figures out what they have in stock (wheels, interior trim/seat colors, etc) to support the next day's production. Then they figure out to where they can get trucks/trains to deliver the cars. Only then do they look and match up orders to those cars.

The only thing Tesla cares about is delivering as many cars as they can. Everything else is secondary.

My SA not only responded but provided an interesting tidbit that at least I wasn't aware of (maybe others have heard the same and shared here previously). Tl;dr is my position in the queue is not based on my order date (5/31/21) but rather based on when I completed my profile (apparently 7/16/21). Very annoying, and I wish this had been made clear at the time:

I mean, if that is true that is total horseshit. There isn't even a way to "complete" financing when you are 1+ year out from delivery since it will expire by then. None of those extra steps of the profile are relevant to the build of the car, it is only relevant to the delivery.

I ordered in August 2021 and just got my delivery date pushed back again to Dec 2022 - Mar 2023. I'm considering buying another car in the interim because I'm renting a car now which feels like a waste of money. But what if I buy and they suddenly say the car is ready??? What should I do??