Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m joining the delayed more times than you can keep track of club! Similar to a lot of you- I was a July 2022 EDD. Then moved to Dec. 2022- Apr. 2023. Then moved to Oct. 5-Dec. 14. Now just checked this morning, and moved back to Dec. 2022- Apr. 2023. Thanks to all of you that post with similar dates getting changed to earlier estimations and ultimately getting delivered. It‘s our only glimmer of hope! Everybody has a breaking point!

Clearly they are deprioritizing the Model X in favor of the mass production cars of 3 & Y! I get it. I’m a Tesla shareholder and I understand if they can produce more 3’s and Y’s that may look better on paper with the projections of 1.5 million cars delivered in 2022. The X & S are only a small percentage of the total. Ultimately, the way you treat your customers does have an impact overall! Again, thanks to you in the forum that post your new dates and deliveries! It is preventing me from hitting my breaking point!

Tesla Model X LR 5 seat no FSD Black/black 20” order date July 2021.
Aside from prioritizing shared parts for the higher volume models, there's not a lot they can do to prioritize 3/Y production over S/X production. It's an enormous effort to ramp up or ramp down a production line which is what they'd need to do in order to produce higher volumes of 3/Y. Plus, lots of people getting VINs here, so aside from the EDD shifts (which it's been demonstrated is pretty meaningless), there's nothing to indicate they're deprioritizing the X.

Reactions: SummitX
Ok here are my thoughts on my new Plaid. Sorry not sorry for the wordiness in advance🙂

General notes:
1 hr commute in L.A. traffic is rendered glorious and is too short because I don’t want to step out of the car.
Upgrades from 2018 are pronounced and the feeling of quality is truly there with the refreshes. Doors more solid, interior materials feel more lux.

Taunting those posers in their new BMW M’s and Lambo Uruses etc., is truly pleasing.

Pros
The ability to set your suspension adjustments, and have an add’l button to turn on comfort suspension mode automatically when luxuriating on autopilot is just genius. If I’m driving without autopilot, it’s usually to smoke a fool or make better time, so naturally then, I want stiffer suspension and handling. I keep a separate Sport setting for mountain roads with a higher driver position and stiff everything. You can also feel the car actively and beautifuly fight hard against its big squat during hard acceleration as long as its not on the comfort setting.

Plaid was totally composed in the mountains except for the all season Contis rolling over and buckling at speed into corners. I've ordered some Pirelli P-Zero’s today, which are quieter, less thrump-thrompy over imperfections, and way better cornering at speed. But very impressive handling for such a heavy vehicle. The car feels definitely smaller in corners compared to the 2018, surprisingly lighter feeling, and very little roll without the big body heave of the 2018.

Torque vectoring when pushing limits on twisties is a confidence inspiring, strong feeling.

Tires look wider than my 2018 especially from the rear though I haven’t checked those specs. Love that look even though they are 20’s.

I’ve had absolutely NO panic braking events these first 1000 miles I’ve had the Plaid. I’m not sure what to attribute that to— better cameras? And newer software since I’m no longer on Beta?

I finally got used to the yoke after realizing I needed to put its setting in Comfort mode. Since my 2018 steering always stayed on Sport, I thought that was the ticket for Plaid. But the crazy hard rebound of the wheel and extra constant effort made me hate it for a minute especially after the recoil popped my knuckles repeatedly just like the CNBC FUD vid piece. But now it's set to comfort I love it— graceful, wonderful feeling the way the arms are pushed to the outsides of the yoke even in turns and parking garages. Using the heel of the hand in the comfort setting to twirl the wheel even in U-turns is awesome. Very satisfying, graceful and effortless on the comfort setting. Very secure at high speed. And a piece of art to look at everyday. I could never go back to round.

The turn signals are in a great, easy to glance place. Yes I could use more tactile feel to activate them ‘by Braille’, and the required effort to activate them is too much and the feel when depressed and activated to me sucks and feels unpleasant with its silly vibration— and I have to try a couple presses to activate it usually. I’m sure I’ll get used to that, but I love the placement because its so much quicker and closer. Until I get Beta again, I’ll have to look at the manual to find the button other than the accel pedal to green light the green lights at some point..

I both love the black interior with the unified one color dash/yoke all the way across, and also miss the white seats from my 2018 with their pop. So the black interior is great for me but bittersweet. My new X though, has none of the seat crinkles people are talking about.

The back end of this beast also to me appears better contoured, almost ‘pinched’ vertically with a nicer backside somehow on the waist line behind and under the rear side windows. The look from the back seems flatter and sportier in a good way.

I cancelled my Spectra Photosync tint for now. It appears the new glass has better UV and Infrared protection than my 2018. I'm waiting past May gray for more hot So Cal desert hot sun days to know for sure. So if I feel I need the protection, I’ll get the Photosync, if not I’ll get a different less spendy brand. But I do remember when I added the tint to my 2018, the interior cabin grew a bit quieter with a bit less wind noise. I also got extra added quiet by adding the Maxpider mats which dampened the road noise a touch.

As mentioned before, I do have the swivel screen and love orienting it towards me. Also received the mobile charger and tow hitch, but no sunshade which I ‘borrowed permanently’ from my 2018.

So far I’ve rung up a 2019ish Vette, BMW M4 , Dodge Trackhawk— it seemed as if none of them were even accelerating, even though I waited til they took off full before I hit the accelerator. Crazy speed. Just sick. I toyed with a Lambo Urus and a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, but they didn’t want none. Plaid power Is impressive, so so so smooth, prodigious, insane. Almost non-sensical. My 20 something kiddos loved the launches. The hi end Star Trekker whine that kicks in during launch at any speed is quite satisfying and sounds better(quieter too) than the 2018 to me in every way.

The one pedal driving and slowing to a stop is glorious to finally have that. All of the NOA slow downs have been easy smooth, and closer to how I'd slow down. When the X panic braked on me, it was when it needed to avoid slamming into the back of the next car, which is how it's supposed to be. It starts a bit sooner than me but is oh so gentle and smooth than very hard, on those panic brakings. I would have stopped quick on my own, but the car slowing down quickly and so well was truly impressive. Stunning, really. Took my breath away, especially realizing how good self driving cars will be when it gets sorted out. Buy more Tesla stock. Today.

Charging feels and is so much quicker than the 2018. Seeing it hard peak around 260kw— it feels like the charge speed is capped and can be software enabled to charge much quicker when that time comes. I did get the Tesla CCS charger from the South Korean shipping company. I was able to get 160kw at an EA in Burbank which can come in handy since the Tesla Superchargers there usually have a line lately. Matter of fact, non 150kw chargers now seem like a waste of time with their ramping down to molasses speeds when there are too many people charging. Yes CCS adapter did that. It is comforting to have— our charging network just grew larger exponentially with this thing.

Frunk feels larger than 2018.

Cons
Some minor interior trim issues with a wiring bunch sticking slightly out of the panel edges above the right FWD door, and another interior panel not totally fastened in.

On the exterior one FWD was passable, but the bottom didn’t seem to line up perfectly. It’s on the list for the SC appt. I could live with that though.

The delivery guy pointed out the long rubber seals on the roof being uneven in height, which I couldn’t even tell. I added it to the list. There were some lines maybe from the robots grabbing the front panel around the wheel— my ‘guy’ that added the ceramic to the exterior was able to buff it out with no problem.

The horn gets activated by the full heel of my hand on the right side of the yoke every single time if the car is still and not driving. But while driving the situation came up where I needed to hit the horn fast, I missed the first jab to the right side (half my hand grazed the airbag center of the yoke) and the 2nd jab hits the side of the yoke correctly and successfully honked, except the wiper accidentally turned on just once both times. Of course the center airbag doesn’t yet activate the horn on my car.

The scroll wheels don’t have enough ‘throw’ when advancing music tracks. Same thing with the right scroll wheel when activating NOA-- somehow feels less satisfying with its short throw to push in and activate. Maybe they’ve made it more rugged and less easily broken by doing this? I broke one of the 2018 scroll wheels I remember. Anyways I don’t like it and use both scroll wheels a lot.

The new charge door is necessary, but feels clunky and it opens up into my view as I’m plugging in. Its a minor thing.

Putting the 3rd row up and down never bothered me these years til I saw a YouTuber complaining about em. I’m taller so its all easier, but now I find myself thinking about how annoying it is that they are not electric.

I have some guys installing the frunk opener plus the leg kick openers too, in a couple weeks. They should have come stock, IMHO.

The rear view cam seems lesser quality than I remember in my 2018, or maybe its just not as lit. Why do I say this? I feel myself squinting more at the cam display when backing up.

Auto opening doors don’t work as well yet. I was going to go 'fob only' as others suggested, but I have to dig out my card key wherever I put it, to unpair my phone key just to check if the ‘fob only’ works better.

I’m not sure if the doors need to break in or not, but the effort to close is too much. They need to sort that out— I don’t like my woman pushing too hard on a door to close it, if I’m not already doing it for her. She’s strong like a Serena, but still.

Jury is still out on the sound sys for me. Maybe it hasn’t been ‘broken in’ like my 2018, but I’m finding less definition in the low end subwoofer territory up to about 3 or 400hz. But I’ll wait before rendering my verdict. At this point I’m looking at swapping out the sub at least. Maybe my 2018 bought used, had an upgraded speaker or sub or two from the previous owner…. But long story short, stereo sounds less good than my 2018 which is beguiling considering the power increase. Maybe a speaker or two is not plugged in. I’ll ask them to check that out.

I listed a bunch of cons here, most of them minor. But long story short, or is it too late? This beast is so good. Whenever I get out of the car, I don’t want to. Damn thing is the best car ever made in this world.

Fun little update… will post more later.

My EDD had shifted to 6/12-7/18 earlier this week. Yesterday I received a call from my local SA (who has been amazing, BTW) that someone with a MXP MSM (I ordered black) canceled their order while it was on the train to the Midwest. A bird in a hand is worth two in the bush… He changed my config to MSM and it matched the VIN. I love black, but happy with MSM, too!

Picking up this week! Build date is 5/12. MXP, MSM/black, 20, no FSD.
Hey @shoveler - did your scheduled delivery date just change? I scheduled to pick up tomorrow morning and received a text saying there was a delay in transit and delivery would be next Tuesday at the Grand Ave. SC.

Last edited:
Ok here are my thoughts on my new Plaid. Sorry not sorry for the wordiness in advance🙂

General notes:
1 hr commute in L.A. traffic is rendered glorious and is too short because I don’t want to step out of the car.
Upgrades from 2018 are pronounced and the feeling of quality is truly there with the refreshes. Doors more solid, interior materials feel more lux.

Taunting those posers in their new BMW M’s and Lambo Uruses etc., is truly pleasing.

Pros
The ability to set your suspension adjustments, and have an add’l button to turn on comfort suspension mode automatically when luxuriating on autopilot is just genius. If I’m driving without autopilot, it’s usually to smoke a fool or make better time, so naturally then, I want stiffer suspension and handling. I keep a separate Sport setting for mountain roads with a higher driver position and stiff everything. You can also feel the car actively and beautifuly fight hard against its big squat during hard acceleration as long as its not on the comfort setting.

Plaid was totally composed in the mountains except for the all season Contis rolling over and buckling at speed into corners. I've ordered some Pirelli P-Zero’s today, which are quieter, less thrump-thrompy over imperfections, and way better cornering at speed. But very impressive handling for such a heavy vehicle. The car feels definitely smaller in corners compared to the 2018, surprisingly lighter feeling, and very little roll without the big body heave of the 2018.

Torque vectoring when pushing limits on twisties is a confidence inspiring, strong feeling.

Tires look wider than my 2018 especially from the rear though I haven’t checked those specs. Love that look even though they are 20’s.

I’ve had absolutely NO panic braking events these first 1000 miles I’ve had the Plaid. I’m not sure what to attribute that to— better cameras? And newer software since I’m no longer on Beta?

I finally got used to the yoke after realizing I needed to put its setting in Comfort mode. Since my 2018 steering always stayed on Sport, I thought that was the ticket for Plaid. But the crazy hard rebound of the wheel and extra constant effort made me hate it for a minute especially after the recoil popped my knuckles repeatedly just like the CNBC FUD vid piece. But now it's set to comfort I love it— graceful, wonderful feeling the way the arms are pushed to the outsides of the yoke even in turns and parking garages. Using the heel of the hand in the comfort setting to twirl the wheel even in U-turns is awesome. Very satisfying, graceful and effortless on the comfort setting. Very secure at high speed. And a piece of art to look at everyday. I could never go back to round.

The turn signals are in a great, easy to glance place. Yes I could use more tactile feel to activate them ‘by Braille’, and the required effort to activate them is too much and the feel when depressed and activated to me sucks and feels unpleasant with its silly vibration— and I have to try a couple presses to activate it usually. I’m sure I’ll get used to that, but I love the placement because its so much quicker and closer. Until I get Beta again, I’ll have to look at the manual to find the button other than the accel pedal to green light the green lights at some point..

I both love the black interior with the unified one color dash/yoke all the way across, and also miss the white seats from my 2018 with their pop. So the black interior is great for me but bittersweet. My new X though, has none of the seat crinkles people are talking about.

The back end of this beast also to me appears better contoured, almost ‘pinched’ vertically with a nicer backside somehow on the waist line behind and under the rear side windows. The look from the back seems flatter and sportier in a good way.

I cancelled my Spectra Photosync tint for now. It appears the new glass has better UV and Infrared protection than my 2018. I'm waiting past May gray for more hot So Cal desert hot sun days to know for sure. So if I feel I need the protection, I’ll get the Photosync, if not I’ll get a different less spendy brand. But I do remember when I added the tint to my 2018, the interior cabin grew a bit quieter with a bit less wind noise. I also got extra added quiet by adding the Maxpider mats which dampened the road noise a touch.

As mentioned before, I do have the swivel screen and love orienting it towards me. Also received the mobile charger and tow hitch, but no sunshade which I ‘borrowed permanently’ from my 2018.

So far I’ve rung up a 2019ish Vette, BMW M4 , Dodge Trackhawk— it seemed as if none of them were even accelerating, even though I waited til they took off full before I hit the accelerator. Crazy speed. Just sick. I toyed with a Lambo Urus and a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, but they didn’t want none. Plaid power Is impressive, so so so smooth, prodigious, insane. Almost non-sensical. My 20 something kiddos loved the launches. The hi end Star Trekker whine that kicks in during launch at any speed is quite satisfying and sounds better(quieter too) than the 2018 to me in every way.

The one pedal driving and slowing to a stop is glorious to finally have that. All of the NOA slow downs have been easy smooth, and closer to how I'd slow down. When the X panic braked on me, it was when it needed to avoid slamming into the back of the next car, which is how it's supposed to be. It starts a bit sooner than me but is oh so gentle and smooth than very hard, on those panic brakings. I would have stopped quick on my own, but the car slowing down quickly and so well was truly impressive. Stunning, really. Took my breath away, especially realizing how good self driving cars will be when it gets sorted out. Buy more Tesla stock. Today.

Charging feels and is so much quicker than the 2018. Seeing it hard peak around 260kw— it feels like the charge speed is capped and can be software enabled to charge much quicker when that time comes. I did get the Tesla CCS charger from the South Korean shipping company. I was able to get 160kw at an EA in Burbank which can come in handy since the Tesla Superchargers there usually have a line lately. Matter of fact, non 150kw chargers now seem like a waste of time with their ramping down to molasses speeds when there are too many people charging. Yes CCS adapter did that. It is comforting to have— our charging network just grew larger exponentially with this thing.

Cons
Some minor interior trim issues with a wiring bunch sticking slightly out of the panel edges above the right FWD door, and another interior panel not totally fastened in.

On the exterior one FWD was passable, but the bottom didn’t seem to line up perfectly. It’s on the list for the SC appt. I could live with that though.

The delivery guy pointed out the long rubber seals on the roof being uneven in height, which I couldn’t even tell. I added it to the list. There were some lines maybe from the robots grabbing the front panel around the wheel— my ‘guy’ that added the ceramic to the exterior was able to buff it out with no problem.

The horn gets activated by the full heel of my hand on the right side of the yoke every single time if the car is still and not driving. But while driving the situation came up where I needed to hit the horn fast, I missed the first jab to the right side (half my hand grazed the airbag center of the yoke) and the 2nd jab hits the side of the yoke correctly and successfully honked, except the wiper accidentally turned on just once both times. Of course the center airbag doesn’t yet activate the horn on my car.

The scroll wheels don’t have enough ‘throw’ when advancing music tracks. Same thing with the right scroll wheel when activating NOA-- somehow feels less satisfying with its short throw to push in and activate. Maybe they’ve made it more rugged and less easily broken by doing this? I broke one of the 2018 scroll wheels I remember. Anyways I don’t like it and use both scroll wheels a lot.

The new charge door is necessary, but feels clunky and it opens up into my view as I’m plugging in. Its a minor thing.

Putting the 3rd row up and down never bothered me these years til I saw a YouTuber complaining about em. I’m taller so its all easier, but now I find myself thinking about how annoying it is that they are not electric.

I have some guys installing the frunk opener plus the leg kick openers too, in a couple weeks. They should have come stock, IMHO.

The rear view cam seems lesser quality than I remember in my 2018, or maybe its just not as lit. Why do I say this? I feel myself squinting more at the cam display when backing up.

Auto opening doors don’t work as well yet. I was going to go 'fob only' as others suggested, but I have to dig out my card key wherever I put it, to unpair my phone key just to check if the ‘fob only’ works better.

I’m not sure if the doors need to break in or not, but the effort to close is too much. They need to sort that out— I don’t like my woman pushing too hard on a door to close it, if I’m not already doing it for her. She’s strong like a Serena, but still.

Jury is still out on the sound sys for me. Maybe it hasn’t been ‘broken in’ like my 2018, but I’m finding less definition in the low end subwoofer territory up to about 3 or 400hz. But I’ll wait before rendering my verdict. At this point I’m looking at swapping out the sub at least. Maybe my 2018 bought used, had an upgraded speaker or sub or two from the previous owner…. But long story short, stereo sounds less good than my 2018 which is beguiling considering the power increase. Maybe a speaker or two is not plugged in. I’ll ask them to check that out.

I listed a bunch of cons here, most of them minor. But long story short, or is it too late? This beast is so good. Whenever I get out of the car, I don’t want to. Damn thing is the best car ever made in this world.
nice write up. I've had the MX LR for 2 months and my thoughts are essentially the same as yours. i don't have the same pickup/speed but it's still impressive. I will re-iterate on one specific thought...this is THE MOST FUN car i've ever owned and undoubtedly the best car purchase i've ever made. coming from driving an audi s5, audi rs4, s550, mL55 amg, 911 turbo, f430 scuderia, and countless others...this SUV beats them all.

Controversial maybe....

I will say, however, that this car will be the ABSOLUTE WORST ELECTRIC SUV compared to others in it's POTENTIAL price class like bmw, audi, merc, etc becuase other than the speed and the electric nature...every single aspect of the actual build quality of the vehicle is trash compared to a similar ICE SUV. This fact alone makes me excited to see what else comes out (even if it does take other auto makers 2-3 more years to actually release something worthy)

Hey @shoveler - did your scheduled delivery date just change? I scheduled to pick up tomorrow morning and received a text saying there was a delay in transit and delivery would be next Tuesday at the Grand Ave. SC.
Not to hijack your question, but for what it’s worth, I am in St. Louis. Earlier today, I asked my local SA if he had any information on my vehicle. My window delivery is this coming Monday to the following Monday. I have been assuming that it is on the same train that the Chicago bound cars are on. For the first time in 1.5 years, they had something actually useful to tell me. He said my car was not yet in Chicago. He said it was anticipated by about June 5 in Chicago and that I should expect delivery sometime the week of June 6. Don’t know if my vehicle is on the same train as your guys, but just thought I would let you know.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
nice write up. I've had the MX LR for 2 months and my thoughts are essentially the same as yours. i don't have the same pickup/speed but it's still impressive. I will re-iterate on one specific thought...this is THE MOST FUN car i've ever owned and undoubtedly the best car purchase i've ever made. coming from driving an audi s5, audi rs4, s550, mL55 amg, 911 turbo, f430 scuderia, and countless others...this SUV beats them all.

Controversial maybe....

I will say, however, that this car will be the ABSOLUTE WORST ELECTRIC SUV compared to others in it's POTENTIAL price class like bmw, audi, merc, etc becuase other than the speed and the electric nature...every single aspect of the actual build quality of the vehicle is trash compared to a similar ICE SUV. This fact alone makes me excited to see what else comes out (even if it does take other auto makers 2-3 more years to actually release something worthy)
Not too controversial. Remember this chassis and general body are not only a very old design. They were teslas first crack at designing something internally. Sure they’ve had improvements along the way but fundamentally they are an old original design. The 3 was almost a fix for everything they learned on S/X and the Y (especially new factory Ys) how everything should be done.

Boom. More to come. A few minor interior imperfections I’ll need to deal with. Alignment looks good. No major exterior issues.

Attachments

• D4A07CEE-8074-4D7F-89D1-BAB3201AB3CA.jpeg
    D4A07CEE-8074-4D7F-89D1-BAB3201AB3CA.jpeg
    680.8 KB · Views: 110

General notes:

Pros

Cons

Thanks for all the info. How can you tell when the Torque Vectoring is activated?

• Helpful
Picked up my Plaid MX today — kudos to the Mt. Kisco NY staff who helped me out and advanced the appointment by 2 days. I arrived early and was out within 30 minutes. Plenty of staff milling around to help with paperwork, vehicle settings and moral support. Given the crap customer service Tesla gave us all during the order/waiting process, I was so pleasantly surprised. Hopefully this can be the norm as Tesla pumps out ever more vehicles. While I didn’t have to go inside the store, I popped in anyway and was offered water, coffee, bathrooms and really friendly staff who all wanted to congratulate me.

Car looks great with no discernible issues. Acceleration is pretty wild, and perfect for some of the parkways in the NYC area without proper merge lanes. Put your foot down and it just goes. Regen slows it down nearly as fast, and I barely even needed the brakes in 100 miles of driving on parkways, expressways, local roads and heavy tRaffia. A few people have already referred to this car as a spaceship - I could not describe it any better.

The yoke is an adjustment, but not a very big one. I hit the high beams a few times while looking for the turn signals. There are more buttons on the right side and I’m sure those will take a bit of practice. 3 point turns are not quite seamless - the shape of the yoke and touch-screen shifting are not intuitive but I’m sure they will be soon. I do like it a lot.

Car has SO much leg room and I’m very happy with the amount of cargo storage once 3rd row is stowed.

Any questions, shoot them over. If you haven’t gotten your car yet, just be patient. I was miserable and wanted to cancel so many times, but so glad I waited 10.5 months.

Update and need suggestion/advise
I got my Plain on Jan, but the car has being mostly stayed in Tesla service. It was mostly minor but never ending issues.
Two weeks ago, I was driving in the local, and heard a big bang noise coming from the car, the car asked me to pull over. Once pulled over, it said "car off", and refuse to start at all, then warn the door might be locked if I don't get out.
I got out the car, call roadside assistance, by the time the tow coming, the car is totally died.

The next day service said they need to replace "front drive unit", next week, they told me its "rear drive unit", two weeks on, they still don't tell me what was wrong, how will they fix it and when will it be done.

I have keep text/email to support and service, but no much response from them. They keep extend my Uber voucher through.

Does anybody know any way to escalate it? anybody with luck to return or exchange the car?

Thanks in advance.

• Informative
Thanks for all the info. How can you tell when the Torque Vectoring is activated?
i felt something pushing me through the corner and it felt like it was holding the car down hard on the ground while accelerating into a corner. The power didn’t come from where i had expected it. Never felt anything quite like that before. It was like the car was twisting against the natural gravity forces that were trying to push the car straight and push the left side up while powering thru a hard quick turn on the road to the left. The active heavy force the car exerted towards a flat cornering attitude is what i felt. I don’t have the technical term for it. But it felt pretty dang special. i haven’t owned a super car before either so…

Last edited: