Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took my first longer drive in the X (30+ highway miles). Oh my… what an absolutely dramatic improvement from my Y. Honestly, I can’t believe I tolerated the ride quality of the Y as long as I did! Speaking of, I sold that to Carmax yesterday for an offer that was $8K+ higher than Tesla.

X is significantly quieter and smoother. While I’m still getting used to the yoke (about 2x per drive I grab for the imaginary part of the wheel that no longer exists), I don’t hate it. My son and his friend watched “Thor” in the back seat and it sounded like we were at the movie theater… the sound system is excellent.

Lastly, I’m SOOOOO glad I switched from black to MSM. I’ve traditionally only purchased black cars (switched to MSM to accelerate my delivery). But the black handles and wheels really complement the gray. I love the way it looks.

Just took my first longer drive in the X (30+ highway miles). Oh my… what an absolutely dramatic improvement from my Y. Honestly, I can’t believe I tolerated the ride quality of the Y as long as I did! Speaking of, I sold that to Carmax yesterday for an offer that was $8K+ higher than Tesla.

X is significantly quieter and smoother. While I’m still getting used to the yoke (about 2x per drive I grab for the imaginary part of the wheel that no longer exists), I don’t hate it. My son and his friend watched “Thor” in the back seat and it sounded like we were at the movie theater… the sound system is excellent.

Lastly, I’m SOOOOO glad I switched from black to MSM. I’ve traditionally only purchased black cars (switched to MSM to accelerate my delivery). But the black handles and wheels really complement the gray. I love the way it looks.
awesome to hear. Ride quality is one of the things we're looking forward to. Our model 3 has a lot of road noise and a bumpy ride. I have never driven a model x so I can't wait. Also looking forward to sitting up higher. The model 3 is like sitting on the road almost. How does the feel of the car as far as seeing the road and the height you sit compare to your model Y?

Air suspensions on S/X make a tremendous difference in the driving experience.

The adaptive shocks can be set to Automatic. Here the cruising around town is smooth and quiet. Soaks up both small and large bumps with ease. Then when your speed rises or steering input increases it smoothly increases control to allow carving corners or quick course corrections.
Ride height can be easily lowered for highway efficient cruising or raised up for steep driveways or mild off roading or deep snow.
OTA updates continously beings additional capabilities to this system. Believe it is the ultimate solution to smooth cruising plus higher speed performance.

Air suspension also allows for automatic vehicle leveling if you have additional passengers, a heavy load or are towing.

The command seating position can be enhanced by both raising you suspension and seat height. Alternatively, you can get a more sporty feeling by dropping the ride height plus lowering your seat.

Just curious for the ones that have already accepted delivery. How many are using the predictive shifting? The X is supposed to make an educated guess on Drive vs Reverse based on how the car is positioned and other obstacles and such. I'm just curious if most find it really handy or have turned off that feature. Also, can that feature be part of your driver profile? I kind of like the idea of using it but my wife will probably hate it.

Just curious for the ones that have already accepted delivery. How many are using the predictive shifting? The X is supposed to make an educated guess on Drive vs Reverse based on how the car is positioned and other obstacles and such. I'm just curious if most find it really handy or have turned off that feature. Also, can that feature be part of your driver profile? I kind of like the idea of using it but my wife will probably hate it.
I use the predictive shifting about 90% of the time. Only time I've needed to shift myself is when going back-and-forth in a parking lot or making a Y-turn.

Hey, Hey, Hey. Was wakened this morning (Sunday) by my iPhone sounding the incoming text alert. And there was my VIN!!
7SAXCBE5ONF344XXX. Love it. Delivery is now scheduled for 4th June at 1200 in Renton, WA..
Damn, I'm happy. Need to go back a few pages to see where this VIN falls in the scheme of things.
Many thanks to all of you fellow posters for all of your support. Would have been a very difficult journey without all of you. Just as soon as I see the new Blue Bat I'll send along some pix. Her name will be 'Cheri II', which was the name of my Dad's WWII B-17 in Basingbourn, England. He was the First Pilot.
Wonderful!!!!

Bob
As an FYI - ordered on 29th January 2021. Blue/Black no FAD. 20" wheels. Long wait...

Hey, Hey, Hey. Was wakened this morning (Sunday) by my iPhone sounding the incoming text alert. And there was my VIN!!
7SAXCBE5ONF344XXX. Love it. Delivery is now scheduled for 4th June at 1200 in Renton, WA..
Damn, I'm happy. Need to go back a few pages to see where this VIN falls in the scheme of things.
Many thanks to all of you fellow posters for all of your support. Would have been a very difficult journey without all of you. Just as soon as I see the new Blue Bat I'll send along some pix. Her name will be 'Cheri II', which was the name of my Dad's WWII B-17 in Basingbourn, England. He was the First Pilot.
Wonderful!!!!

Bob
As an FYI - ordered on 29th January 2021. Blue/Black no FAD. 20" wheels. Long wait...
I believe I was the first who posted vin 3444xx so it’s a very recent production line.

A Little Hope for You Guys Freaked Over the Jan 2023 - Apr 2023 EDD Placeholder

If you go over to the Tesla website to order a LR X right now, it reads: Est. Delivery: Jan 2023 - Apr 2023. That means a 7-11 month wait... if you're ordering today. For the MX Plaid, the current EDD range is Aug - Oct 2022. But you're not ordering today, you ordered months and months, some more than a year ago. The Fremont assembly line isn't down. Even with chip shortages and other persistent supply chain issues, there is zero chance that Tesla's Fremont X line will sit idle for the 7 months remaining in 2022. Fremont is making Xes; look at the "Got my Vin and Delivery Date" posts that pop up on this board daily. Look at the delivery figures that are released. Last month, don't have the stat in front of me at the moment, Tesla delivered ~ 4-5k Model X's and Model S's apiece - Tesla no longer separates S/X delivery stats instead lumping them together. At peak production prior to the Refresh, Tesla could churn out a combined 100k or so X/S's per year. IOW, they're making them right now somewhere near peak capacity. The 2021 fiascoes when the lines were down for retooling problems early and mostly supply chain issues later created a big backlog. Tesla is apparently now steadily working through the piled up orders.

It's not going to be next year when you receive your car. That Dec-Apr, or Jan-Apr is indeed a placeholder. What Tesla will be doing the rest of this year is fulfill the orders it already has meaning YOURS.

Yep, they prioritize the Plaids, Tesla has done that with every new model it's introduced.

Even so, LR or Plaid, your car is coming a lot sooner than early 2023. My best guess is: By October latest, most of you guys who ordered throughout 2021 will have your cars meaning order placed all the way through December 2021 on into 2022. A few who ordered the past 2-3 months might wind up as Nov/Dec deliveries.

The adaptive shocks can be set to Automatic. Here the cruising around town is smooth and quiet. Soaks up both small and large bumps with ease. Then when your speed rises or steering input increases it smoothly increases control to allow carving corners or quick course corrections.
Ride height can be easily lowered for highway efficient cruising or raised up for steep driveways or mild off roading or deep snow.
OTA updates continously beings additional capabilities to this system. Believe it is the ultimate solution to smooth cruising plus higher speed performance.

Air suspension also allows for automatic vehicle leveling if you have additional passengers, a heavy load or are towing.

The command seating position can be enhanced by both raising you suspension and seat height. Alternatively, you can get a more sporty feeling by dropping the ride height plus lowering your seat.
A while back I had read that Tesla was developing their own air suspension.

Can anybody confirm this?

Is there a verbal command to raise the car?

Reactions: DelPhonic1
EDD now aug 3 to Sept 28. Promises, promises. So I guess I don’t schedule travel until those dates pass….plus time for PPF to be applied. MXLR 5 seat, blue w cream, 20” wheels, FSD
Hmm, that is interesting. I ordered June 16 2021, originally Blue w Cream, but changed to White w Black/ebony a couple of weeks ago. I am sitting at June-10 to July-1. The only other possible difference is I am trading in my 2018.

Last edited:
A Little Hope for You Guys Freaked Over the Jan 2023 - Apr 2023 EDD Placeholder

If you go over to the Tesla website to order a LR X right now, it reads: Est. Delivery: Jan 2023 - Apr 2023. That means a 7-11 month wait... if you're ordering today. For the MX Plaid, the current EDD range is Aug - Oct 2022. But you're not ordering today, you ordered months and months, some more than a year ago. The Fremont assembly line isn't down. Even with chip shortages and other persistent supply chain issues, there is zero chance that Tesla's Fremont X line will sit idle for the 7 months remaining in 2022. Fremont is making Xes; look at the "Got my Vin and Delivery Date" posts that pop up on this board daily. Look at the delivery figures that are released. Last month, don't have the stat in front of me at the moment, Tesla delivered ~ 4-5k Model X's and Model S's apiece - Tesla no longer separates S/X delivery stats instead lumping them together. At peak production prior to the Refresh, Tesla could churn out a combined 100k or so X/S's per year. IOW, they're making them right now somewhere near peak capacity. The 2021 fiascoes when the lines were down for retooling problems early and mostly supply chain issues later created a big backlog. Tesla is apparently now steadily working through the piled up orders.

It's not going to be next year when you receive your car. That Dec-Apr, or Jan-Apr is indeed a placeholder. What Tesla will be doing the rest of this year is fulfill the orders it already has meaning YOURS.

Yep, they prioritize the Plaids, Tesla has done that with every new model it's introduced.

Even so, LR or Plaid, your car is coming a lot sooner than early 2023. My best guess is: By October latest, most of you guys who ordered throughout 2021 will have your cars meaning order placed all the way through December 2021 on into 2022. A few who ordered the past 2-3 months might wind up as Nov/Dec deliveries.

This probably just means Tesla is lying to people placing new orders. I don't know it should be taken as a optimistic outlook for old orders with the same delivery timeframe. The time from order to delivery is something like 15 months on average I think. It hasn't really improved since they started deliveries, as you would expect if production outstripped order rate.

When you say 5k i think you are thinking of last quarter, not last month? April would of had almost no Model X deliveries due to the airbag issue. April was worse than December for deliveries based on the spreadsheet. May was about the same number of deliveries as Jan. So they are way behind this quarter compared to last. Also, I'm not sure Tesla has ever shipped over 100k S/X in a year? 2020, which was the last full production year before they stopped for the refresh had less than 60k deliveries. They had some years that look close to 100k but that was before they started making Model 3's out of the same factory.