Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People won't like when I say this, but... both tilt screen AND matrix lights are dramatically overrated. It's funny how often people in this forum obsess about them.

I have tilt in my X and it's close to useless IMO. You can only choose from 3 pre-defined positions (not toggle as you see fit... maybe this will change with future SW). And I HAD matrix lights in my Y. They created more fuss than they were worth due to the brightness. Think early days of xenon lights when everyone would flash you b/c they thought you had on brights. That happens with matrix lights. And my level of confidence in terms of WHEN they will be enabled and IF they will work is low.

Anyway, point is, stop losing sleep over these two features. Neither are game-changers.
Agreed! It's not like it is HW4 or anything...

Back in 2017, I was out of town on vacation when Tesla called and wanted me to take delivery of my first X. When I told them I wouldn't be home to accept delivery, Tesla offered to deliver the car in DC where I happened to be. I declined and they were fine with it, took delivery at home a month later. You might want to give them a call, tell them your situation and see if they can't route your new X to a DC near where you'll be. Just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestion. My first Model X was also bought in 2017. But unfortunately, Tesla today is no longer the start up company 5 years ago. The market condition also changes dramatically. I remember there were lots of inventory model X back in 2017 and a custom one only takes several weeks.

So I went to the SC and talked to a delivery guy over the weekend. I was told the longest time they can push back is 10 days. So I have to put my order on hold until I'm ready. I think the car will be passed to the next folk in Chicago, as it's already on the rail. The good thing is unmatching the vin this way does not count as a rejection. And hopefully the matrix headlight will come in July.

So, "Sam" has still been very responsive by text today. He/she/they said my VIN #3409 was built on April 20, but claims I will still have the tilt screen. I know we have thought 4/22 was the cutoff, but maybe I am still good. I would really like it, but have waited too long to reject over that one feature if it really is not there.
General line or specific to your order? Contacting Tesla hasn’t been very good. They’ve also been dropping calls after long wait times.

General line or specific to your order? Contacting Tesla hasn’t been very good. They’ve also been dropping calls after long wait times.
I have been texting with the 510-345-0956 that my first VIN announcement got texted from. But I got a voicemail from "Sam" from a 240 area code number, which is a local area code to the DC Metro area that I live in.

I should add that I have not called either of these numbers back by voice, so I don't know what would happen.

People won't like when I say this, but... both tilt screen AND matrix lights are dramatically overrated. It's funny how often people in this forum obsess about them.

I have tilt in my X and it's close to useless IMO. You can only choose from 3 pre-defined positions (not toggle as you see fit... maybe this will change with future SW). And I HAD matrix lights in my Y. They created more fuss than they were worth due to the brightness. Think early days of xenon lights when everyone would flash you b/c they thought you had on brights. That happens with matrix lights. And my level of confidence in terms of WHEN they will be enabled and IF they will work is low.

Anyway, point is, stop losing sleep over these two features. Neither are game-changers.
I don’t get it either. Don’t care for either thing. As long as I can see the screen and the lights light up the road, good enough. Don’t care about the angles of either feature.

I have been texting with the 510-345-0956 that my first VIN announcement got texted from. But I got a voicemail from "Sam" from a 240 area code number, which is a local area code to the DC Metro area that I live in.

I should add that I have not called either of these numbers back by voice, so I don't know what would happen.
Thanks. I’ve got a 510 number texting me also. No responses after yesterday. I’m sure they’re just as annoyed with me as I am with them at this point. You’d think their trade in team can turn these around quickly but mine has been a hot mess since last year.

Hmmm. Even having my X I can't seem to stop reading this thread. :rolleyes:

Scanning the posts of some still waiting, there appears to be an enduring theme: Tesla is screwing with me. They're lying. They don't want to give me my car.

Let's break it down a bit.

What is Tesla in business to do? Design, make and sell EVs. If they don't sell said EVs they're toast, out of business, bankwupt.

Who are you? A wannabe customer eager to hand them ~$100k for a Model X.

Does it make sense for Tesla to string you along just for the heck of it? Nope, zero sense. The sooner you get your car the sooner they get their $100k.

Then why won't Tesla give me my X? We've been through this ad infinitum. That Tesla was late starting production is no surprise; it's in the company's DNA. The causes? The CEO's glass half full attitude concerning designing new vehicles, building production capacity, getting the assembly line up and running, and, of late, and a new one, supply chain issues. Look at the company's history. The original Model S was late. The original Model X was late. The M3 ramp up was late and almost killed the company. They Y went better. Now the S/X refresh has run into the same thing. We don't tag the intro/production announcements "Elon Time" for nothing.

That Tesla SA lied to me! No one argues Tesla is more secretive than it should be, even with its own employees. But if you step back, you can see why. Starting in the mid teens, big oil, legacy auto and their sycophants came after Tesla big time. Take car fires as an example. In the late 1980s, ICE car fires averaged 430-450k annually. The number started to fall coming in at 173k in 2020, but that's still a lot. Are ICE car fires front page news? Nope, but let a Tesla battery pack catch fire and see what happens. Tesla battery packs rarely catch fire, but that doesn't matter. It's the same with production delays. Right now at this moment, legacy auto struggles to produce 50k EVs annually per OEM. Tesla made 936k in 2021. Early production troubles with the Model 3 was constant fodder for hammering Tesla in 2017-2018. Tesla's secrecy about what is going on behind the scenes is not excusable, but understandable given the company's history. They should tell their SAs more, they should be more forthright with customers, all true, but if they are 100% honest — we ain't got no rubber trim for the doors right now— they will get hammered by a long list of enemies, the proverbial stuck between a rock and a hard place. Doesn't make it any easier for you guys waiting in line, but the reason behind it is, again, understandable.

I don't care about that stuff! I want my X. So do the 1 million waiting for their Cybertruck, the 100k or so waiting for the new roadster, the trucking companies waiting for the Tesla Semi. Despite the rosy scenarios consistently blowing up in Elon's face, Tesla always comes through in the end. The S debuted in 2012 and blew the industry away. The 2016 X caused jaws to drop. The M3 quickly became the first mass market EV. The Y is taking off at the angle of a SpaceX rocket. The Refreshed X/S are showing up all across America. I saw 2 yesterday going to the grocery store, a 1.6 mile trek.

I still don't like the (*&^^*^% delay!! Who does? Tesla will make somewhere around 1.5 million EVs this year. Ford will be lucky to churn out 50k Mustang Mach-Es. The same for all the rest of the auto industry excepting a couple of Chinese companies. The truth is EVs have hit the inflection point, meaning they've now passed the innovation adoption phase and are well into the early adapter phase headed toward the early mainstream buyer. Several years ago, Musk warned the world would need a whole lot more batteries, much much more. When it comes to new tech, Elon is almost always right. Politics? Not so much, but when he sticks to his lane he's a freaking genius. The cold hard fact is demands is outstripping supply. Tesla is ramping up as quickly as it can, but demand is exploding.

A friend told me this story today: A friend's ICE pickup died. He had good credit, was going to pay most of the purchase cost himself, but still needed a portion financed. The bank turned him down. He didn't understand it, his credit score is good, he qualified. He finally got an answer through someone he knew at the bank. This particular bank, in rural Georgia, doesn't want to finance any more gas and diesel vehicles. If this guy would buy an EV his credit application would sail through. His problem is he can't wait, he needs a new truck now to continue to earn a living. The problem is there aren't any to be had immediately. The Cybertruck is backordered through 2025. GM and Ford are showing off fancy new EVs, but are sold out on the meager number they can make through the end of 2022. Rivian has a long waiting list. We're at the supply meeting demand bottleneck. Even banks see it, this one, at least, is unwilling to finance an ICE pickup because they think its value won't hold up. Unimaginable even 2 years ago.

What does that have to do with Tesla? The MX is not new at all, so they updated it some. Is that so hard? Not normally. But I think we're going to find out that orders exploded beyond Tesla's or anyone else's expectations. My guess is Tesla will sooner rather than later have to open a new line that the S and X don't share. The disruption of legacy auto is happening that fast.

Blah, blah, blah. I've waited a year. Lots of folks are going to be waiting. That's what happens when a new technology replaces an obsolete one. Just the way it works. Tesla's self interest is in getting you your X. The obstacle is there are a lot of you's out there.

Last edited:
Confirmed with an old coworker that my car is in the video!
So May 11th this person pulled my VIN and confirmed the car sitting in the dirt in the flyover video based on GPS. Since then, my May 25th delivery was bumped to June 1st and now June 15th. My old coworker is no longer responding to texts and when I asked the advisor if the delays were due to a containment hold the chat stopped for a few hours. When communication resumed, they said it is a logistics problem...

Reactions: ductordoc
For the first time I am feeling really ancy to get the Model X!!! Yoke, automatic doors, FSD, pano windshield, ventilated seats!!!! Handing!

I’m so excited!
Small correction...Ventilated seats you can get with most car brands at the higher trim levels BUT On the X you actually get Cooling seats which the difference is night and day.
Ventilated seats on my BMW, Mercedes and other cars were pretty much useless and it's a Joy to use on the X.

Thanks for the suggestion. My first Model X was also bought in 2017. But unfortunately, Tesla today is no longer the start up company 5 years ago. The market condition also changes dramatically. I remember there were lots of inventory model X back in 2017 and a custom one only takes several weeks.

So I went to the SC and talked to a delivery guy over the weekend. I was told the longest time they can push back is 10 days. So I have to put my order on hold until I'm ready. I think the car will be passed to the next folk in Chicago, as it's already on the rail. The good thing is unmatching the vin this way does not count as a rejection. And hopefully the matrix headlight will come in July.
It must have changed by 2018. I waited 5 months for my car to arrive and picked up at the factory.

However, I am glad it took that long. In the interim MCU1 was replaced by MCU2, my original brown interior was dropped and replaced by tan, and few other minor but nice changes were made.

Last edited:
just wondering, do we get the mobile connector or no? I'm reading about conflicting versions of the policy where some are saying orders after April 2022 won't get the mobile connectors, but some are saying deliveries after April 2022 won't get the connectors. What's the truth?

Hmmm. Even having my X I can't seem to stop reading this thread. :rolleyes:

Scanning the posts of some still waiting, there appears to be an enduring theme: Tesla is screwing with me. They're lying. They don't want to give me my car.

Let's break it down a bit.

What is Tesla in business to do? Design, make and sell EVs. If they don't sell said EVs they're toast, out of business, bankwupt.

Who are you? A wannabe customer eager to hand them ~$100k for a Model X.

Does it make sense for Tesla to string you along just for the heck of it? Nope, zero sense. The sooner you get your car the sooner they get their $100k.

Then why won't Tesla give me my X? We've been through this ad infinitum. That Tesla was late starting production is no surprise; it's in the company's DNA. The causes? The CEO's glass half full attitude concerning designing new vehicles, building production capacity, getting the assembly line up and running, and, of late, and a new one, supply chain issues. Look at the company's history. The original Model S was late. The original Model X was late. The M3 ramp up was late and almost killed the company. They Y went better. Now the S/X refresh has run into the same thing. We don't tag the intro/production announcements "Elon Time" for nothing.

That Tesla SA lied to me! No one argues Tesla is more secretive than it should be, even with its own employees. But if you step back, you can see why. Starting in the mid teens, big oil, legacy auto and their sycophants came after Tesla big time. Take car fires as an example. In the late 1980s, ICE car fires averaged 430-450k annually. The number started to fall coming in at 173k in 2020, but that's still a lot. Are ICE car fires front page news? Nope, but let a Tesla battery pack catch fire and see what happens. Tesla battery packs rarely catch fire, but that doesn't matter. It's the same with production delays. Right now at this moment, legacy auto struggles to produce 50k EVs annually per OEM. Tesla made 936k in 2021. Early production troubles with the Model 3 was constant fodder for hammering Tesla in 2017-2018. Tesla's secrecy about what is going on behind the scenes is not excusable, but understandable given the company's history. They should tell their SAs more, they should be more forthright with customers, all true, but if they are 100% honest — we ain't got no rubber trim for the doors right now— they will get hammered by a long list of enemies, the proverbial stuck between a rock and a hard place. Doesn't make it any easier for you guys waiting in line, but the reason behind it is, again, understandable.

I don't care about that stuff! I want my X. So do the 1 million waiting for their Cybertruck, the 100k or so waiting for the new roadster, the trucking companies waiting for the Tesla Semi. Despite the rosy scenarios consistently blowing up in Elon's face, Tesla always comes through in the end. The S debuted in 2012 and blew the industry away. The 2016 X caused jaws to drop. The M3 quickly became the first mass market EV. The Y is taking off at the angle of a SpaceX rocket. The Refreshed X/S are showing up all across America. I saw 2 yesterday going to the grocery store, a 1.6 mile trek.

I still don't like the (*&^^*^% delay!! Who does? Tesla will make somewhere around 1.5 million EVs this year. Ford will be lucky to churn out 50k Mustang Mach-Es. The same for all the rest of the auto industry excepting a couple of Chinese companies. The truth is EVs have hit the inflection point, meaning they've now passed the innovation adoption phase and are well into the early adapter phase headed toward the early mainstream buyer. Several years ago, Musk warned the world would need a whole lot more batteries, much much more. When it comes to new tech, Elon is almost always right. Politics? Not so much, but when he sticks to his lane he's a freaking genius. The cold hard fact is demands is outstripping supply. Tesla is ramping up as quickly as it can, but demand is exploding.

A friend told me this story today: A friend's ICE pickup died. He had good credit, was going to pay most of the purchase cost himself, but still needed a portion financed. The bank turned him down. He didn't understand it, his credit score is good, he qualified. He finally got an answer through someone he knew at the bank. This particular bank, in rural Georgia, doesn't want to finance any more gas and diesel vehicles. If this guy would buy an EV his credit application would sail through. His problem is he can't wait, he needs a new truck now to continue to earn a living. The problem is there aren't any to be had immediately. The Cybertruck is backordered through 2025. GM and Ford are showing off fancy new EVs, but are sold out on the meager number they can make through the end of 2022. Rivian has a long waiting list. We're at the supply meeting demand bottleneck. Even banks see it, this one, at least, is unwilling to finance an ICE pickup because they think its value won't hold up. Unimaginable even 2 years ago.

What does that have to do with Tesla? The MX is not new at all, so they updated it some. Is that so hard? Not normally. But I think we're going to find out that orders exploded beyond Tesla's or anyone else's expectations. My guess is Tesla will sooner rather than later have to open a new line that the S and X don't share. The disruption of legacy auto is happening that fast.

Blah, blah, blah. I've waited a year. Lots of folks are going to be waiting. That's what happens when a new technology replaces an obsolete one. Just the way it works. Tesla's self interest is in getting you your X. The obstacle is there are a lot of you's out there.
Lots of good points in here. That said, it’s slightly dismissive of a lot of legitimate gripes that people have about the way they have been handled by Tesla.

Reactions: croman and 1pinhigh
So May 11th this person pulled my VIN and confirmed the car sitting in the dirt in the flyover video based on GPS. Since then, my May 25th delivery was bumped to June 1st and now June 15th. My old coworker is no longer responding to texts and when I asked the advisor if the delays were due to a containment hold the chat stopped for a few hours. When communication resumed, they said it is a logistics problem...
Cars sitting in the factory grass parking lots are often waiting on parts or certification hold. My car went on a hold the day I was supposed to pick it up and stayed that way for 5 days.

Hi, folks//

MXLR ordered January 29, 2021. Blue/Black 20". Now have an appointment with the Renton, WA (south of Seattle) delivery center for this Saturday, June 4, 2022 for the new car. Existing 2018 MXLR 100d, which will be traded in.

Had to be over there today (live on an island west of Seattle) and had a hard time finding a place to park. Packed with cars waiting for delivery. Spoke with the manager (I think) and she told me that my car was on a truck coming up from California and that the Saturday appointment was a go. Very friendly and helpful folks. Mentioned that some jerk had keyed the car last week and she said not to worry about it. Asked if I could see the mobile charger that would be delivered with the car - she said sure and brought one out. It's the standard cable with ONLY the 120 volt plug. I'll keep my existing 240 volt plug and use it with the new cable. Asked about the trade - in and she told me that they were really busy and to expect something within a day or so. I'll probably do an ACH in the App to make payment.

We chatted about taking my existing license plates and installing them on the new car. They'll do it but need some documents, which I've emailed.

Saw several Xs there - two Plaids and at least one LR. The LR had black interior - wanted to see the interior trim. Really liked it. The delivery folks were obviously working hard preparing things. Lots of activity. Good vibes.

Will send along some info on the delivery experience.

Fingers Crossed,

Bob

Small correction...Ventilated seats you can get with most car brands at the higher trim levels BUT On the X you actually get Cooling seats which the difference is night and day.
Ventilated seats on my BMW, Mercedes and other cars were pretty much useless and it's a Joy to use on the X.
Tesla describe them as ventilated on their own site. Not cooled