Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My fear came true this morning. The June 17 - Jul 8 EDD was moved back to Aug - Sept. šŸ˜¢ so bummed.
Financing and trade in were all arranged so will have to redo all of that. High probability I may just take delivery of the Cadillac Lyriq in September at less than half the price. Maybe switch this order from a plaid to LR. If I donā€™t like the Lyriq could always switch to the LR X when that would finally show up in a year.

Weā€™ll see. Maybe this will switch earlier again but feels unlikely. View attachment 815745
Man.. I feel with on 3rd party lending. id be so pissed if this happened to me.

I promise the wait is worth it. I canā€™t see the Lyriq being nearly as fun to drive/own.
Recently, I rented a Buick Enclave while on vacation. And I gotta say the build quality was fantastic and it even came with cooled ventilated leather seats. It had Apple CarPlay but not much other tech on its own, and even front parking cameras (why Tesla doesnā€™t offer front parking cameras is beyond me, after all arenā€™t they ā€œvisionā€ people). It was well equipped and the ride was smooth. Then I come home to my model Y and the plastic dash reminded me of airplane material, cheap and flimsy looking. While driving the Buick I thought; wow, have I been brainwashed by Tesla, lol. The Buick starts at only $42k, hard to believe theyā€™re making any money on these. Yet when I drive my model Y, I can see why the demand for Teslas: itā€™s the most fun driving experience with tech doesnā€™t look like itā€™s from the ā€˜90ā€™s lol.

Not sure but it was discussed here before, pretty sure it was, but any recommendations for accessories? šŸ˜‰
One accessory is a key fob cover.
I got this on Amazon. Itā€™s metal, but I also saw some leather and some TPU covers
C7E95709-A406-4287-8590-B59C05FA67CD.jpeg

Is this normal for rear seats ?

Absolutely not. I had the same issue and my SC took a heat gun to it thinking it would shrink the leather.. Turns out the heat gun expanded the leather further. They are going to replace the seats for me on a scheduled 6/22 visit.

This is what it now looks like after the heat gun:
1655127718858.png

Absolutely not. I had the same issue and my SC took a heat gun to it thinking it would shrink the leather.. Turns out the heat gun expanded the leather further. They are going to replace the seats for me on a scheduled 6/22 visit.

This is what it now looks like after the heat gun:
View attachment 816083
At least they know now. Maybe they documented it for all SCs to know that heat gun won't fix it.

Recently saw a PBS show that dealt with Juan Trippe and TWA. In the late 1930s TWA flew from Alameda in San Francisco Bay to China. They flew the China Clipper over the Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate, both then under construction. The films were amazing. Anyway, at that time the airplane's 'wheel' was actually a steering wheel. Really. The wheel eventually evolved to a yoke and sticks (the C-17 has a stick) and little hand controllers (on Airbus aircraft). I've had my XLR for less than a week and have to say that the yoke is the bomb. Love it.
As a pilot myself, this comparison is absolutely, completely, wrong. The yoke on an airplane does not go past 90 degrees in either direction. And the only time you go full deflection (outside of aerobatics or an emergency) is on the ground when you are making sure the controls are "free and correct." Yokes work very well in airplanes because of this.

However, in a car, you have to turn the wheel over and over (2.4 turns lock to lock on the S/X?). This is a completely different motion and use case for which a yoke is not ideal. I agree that for highway cruising, the yoke works great and is analogous to its use in an airplane. But when making tighter turns, the yoke in a car is not analogous to its use in an airplane.

As I said, you are free to like what you like, but you cannot compare yoke usage in an S/X to yoke usage in an airplane. Any attempt to equate them is factually wrong.

Recently, I rented a Buick Enclave while on vacation. And I gotta say the build quality was fantastic and it even came with cooled ventilated leather seats. It had Apple CarPlay but not much other tech on its own, and even front parking cameras (why Tesla doesnā€™t offer front parking cameras is beyond me, after all arenā€™t they ā€œvisionā€ people). It was well equipped and the ride was smooth. Then I come home to my model Y and the plastic dash reminded me of airplane material, cheap and flimsy looking. While driving the Buick I thought; wow, have I been brainwashed by Tesla, lol. The Buick starts at only $42k, hard to believe theyā€™re making any money on these. Yet when I drive my model Y, I can see why the demand for Teslas: itā€™s the most fun driving experience with tech doesnā€™t look like itā€™s from the ā€˜90ā€™s lol.
Same, was in Palm Desert and the rental was the same car. coming from my 2021 tacoma and and 09, 335i the tech in the enclave made the trip better.

Reactions: Tezlagirl
My EDD changed today from 6/14-7/19
My fear came true this morning. The June 17 - Jul 8 EDD was moved back to Aug - Sept. šŸ˜¢ so bummed.
Financing and trade in were all arranged so will have to redo all of that. High probability I may just take delivery of the Cadillac Lyriq in September at less than half the price. Maybe switch this order from a plaid to LR. If I donā€™t like the Lyriq could always switch to the LR X when that would finally show up in a year.

Weā€™ll see. Maybe this will switch earlier again but feels unlikely. View attachment 815745
Iā€™ve seen a few here go from a June-July EDD to a little later. We are still holding steady at June 15-July 6. Out of curiosity I started looking at peopleā€™s location and noticed that many who are still in June/July are concentrated in the south and midwest, and there are a lot of red, finally.

Reactions: Elixir
Iā€™ve seen a few here go from a June-July EDD to a little later. We are still holding steady at June 15-July 6. Out of curiosity I started looking at peopleā€™s location and noticed that many who are still in June/July are concentrated in the south and midwest, and there are a lot of red, finally.
Mine is red. And in the Midwest. Iā€™m just going to blindly hold out hope I get surprised with a VIN earlier than current estimate. šŸ˜€

As a pilot myself, this comparison is absolutely, completely, wrong. The yoke on an airplane does not go past 90 degrees in either direction. And the only time you go full deflection (outside of aerobatics or an emergency) is on the ground when you are making sure the controls are "free and correct." Yokes work very well in airplanes because of this.

However, in a car, you have to turn the wheel over and over (2.4 turns lock to lock on the S/X?). This is a completely different motion and use case for which a yoke is not ideal. I agree that for highway cruising, the yoke works great and is analogous to its use in an airplane. But when making tighter turns, the yoke in a car is not analogous to its use in an airplane.

As I said, you are free to like what you like, but you cannot compare yoke usage in an S/X to yoke usage in an airplane. Any attempt to equate them is factually wrong.
That is good point +/- 90 degree restriction on ailerons. I vaguely remember someone talking about the future of yoke is looking toward full drive by wire and how this might reduce the steering angle required for future systems - adaptive turn ratio?

The prototype lexus is already putting these two concepts together:

I am nervous about yoke - and, as an impractical consumer concerned with practicality of purchase, I worry the yoke puts refresh X into smaller re-sale market. BUT, so does the lack of middle seat drop down arm rest...haha.

Reactions: Lester Green
That is good point +/- 90 degree restriction on ailerons. I vaguely remember someone talking about the future of yoke is looking toward full drive by wire and how this might reduce the steering angle required for future systems - adaptive turn ratio?

The prototype lexus is already putting these two concepts together:

I am nervous about yoke - and, as an impractical consumer concerned with practicality of purchase, I worry the yoke puts refresh X into smaller re-sale market. BUT, so does the lack of middle seat drop down arm rest...haha.
Anyone know if an adaptive turn ratio, or a fixed but more dynamic ratio could be implemented with the current MX and MS yoke setup?

Currently showing EDD of 9/29 - 12/8 for LR, Black/Cream, 20", 6 seat, no FSD. Early December will be 23 months since order date, ugh.

Ok, but here's the interesting thing: Tesla clearly prioritizes high-margin orders (FSD, Plaid, more expensive options). Makes perfect sense and as shareholder, I want them to do this. However, aren't they creating business risk but burying all lower-margin orders? If their future deliveries are increasingly weighted toward orders like mine (e.g. a $100k, LR X). isn't margin going to tank? Of course if production ramps and demand continues to grow, no issue.

BUT if a recession hits, new, current-price orders slow and therefore production does not continue to ramp, then the basket of orders they have to fill could be underwater. Arguing against: a recession will also mean fewer people buying expensive cars, so some orders cancelled. But then Tesla would be betting people like me blink first...

Tesla doesn't tell us the makeup of orders they have on the books, but we do know they have this habit of kicking the can down the road on lower-margin orders. What do you all think?

Reactions: SubtractEm