Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine the last builds at EoQ all go to orders close to the factory. If they get put on a truck they'll miss the earnings for Q2.
I second this. I ordered my MXP Jan 2022 --> got VIN'ed in April, declined it after hearing about the news on the ability to reconfiguring with no price changes, changed to LR 5 seater to better suit my business needs (need seats to fold down) --> VIN'ed again in June but given an 337XXX VIN dating back to March, so rejected that VIN -->rejected ANOTHER March VIN 3 days later, put the account on hold for 1 month to not be assigned an old VIN again... --> and finally yesterday I took it off hold and already assigned a VIN of 350XXX today (June build month).

I'm crossing my fingers the QC is good and there aren't that many issues upon delivery. I'm already anticipating EoQ cars will be slightly rushed and potentially full of errors. My car is a basic BASE LR with no options. White/black interior, 20" Cyberstream wheels, NO FSD. 5 seats.

Bay Area folks probably have it good as the wait did not seem too bad. My EDD is currently July 4-10. Sorry for the rest of the y'all waiting 350+ days while I'm shuffling VINs. 😬

Reactions: bobusn and BonB
Picked up our Feb 2021 order, 349XXX VIN, LR, six seater yesterday. Other than some dirty seats and minor misalignment on the FWD on the driver's side, the car was in almost perfect condition. We originally were going to decide if we want to keep our 2mos old BMW X5 or MX. But we got a good deal on our 2018 M3 from a local dealer (55k) so, we sold it and keeping both.

Wife's first impression when she sat in the X, "BMW interior is much nicer", lol. X5 actually has all that we need. With all the talk about front windshield, I didn't find it that special during my first impression. But driving it earlier today, it's massive, lol. Need to find a good place to tint in SoCal.

All in all, the car is great and I love the FWD for loading/unloading the kiddos this morning. But for 110K+, I would probably buy BMW next time and keep the extra cash. Thank you everyone for all the info in this thread. It's been a long 17mos journey but you all made it bearable.

IMG_4419 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up our Feb 2021 order, 349XXX VIN, LR, six seater yesterday. Other than some dirty seats and minor misalignment on the FWD on the driver's side, the car was in almost perfect condition. We originally were going to decide if we want to keep our 2mos old BMW X5 or MX. But we got a good deal on our 2018 M3 from a local dealer (55k) so, we sold it and keeping both.

Wife's first impression when she sat in the X, "BMW interior is much nicer", lol. X5 actually has all that we need. With all the talk about front windshield, I didn't find it that special during my first impression. But driving it earlier today, it's massive, lol. Need to find a good place to tint in SoCal.

All in all, the car is great and I love the FWD for loading/unloading the kiddos this morning. But for 110K+, I would probably buy BMW next time and keep the extra cash. Thank you everyone for all the info in this thread. It's been a long 17mos journey but you all made it bearable.

View attachment 823149
I had a 2014 550i and then a 2018 M550i and they were both a lot of fun. While the BMW's were "nicer" in some ways my current MYP is more fun, and happens to be faster than those at least from 0-70mph or so. The tech is so much more useful on the Tesla too. I remember I didn't even have remote start available on my 2018 which really annoyed me in the winter. Now I can have the temperature in the car perfect regardless of the outside temp which is much appreciated. Build quality on BMW's is great though, no doubt. Arguments to be had either way. Your X looks amazing.

Last edited:
I second this. I ordered my MXP Jan 2022 --> got VIN'ed in April, declined it after hearing about the news on the ability to reconfiguring with no price changes, changed to LR 5 seater to better suit my business needs (need seats to fold down) --> VIN'ed again in June but given an 337XXX VIN dating back to March, so rejected that VIN -->rejected ANOTHER March VIN 3 days later, put the account on hold for 1 month to not be assigned an old VIN again... --> and finally yesterday I took it off hold and already assigned a VIN of 350XXX today (June build month).

I'm crossing my fingers the QC is good and there aren't that many issues upon delivery. I'm already anticipating EoQ cars will be slightly rushed and potentially full of errors. My car is a basic BASE LR with no options. White/black interior, 20" Cyberstream wheels, NO FSD. 5 seats.

Bay Area folks probably have it good as the wait did not seem too bad. My EDD is currently July 4-10. Sorry for the rest of the y'all waiting 350+ days while I'm shuffling VINs. 😬
Indeed my coworker order her MX LR with FSD two two months ago (April/2022) and she will get delivery tonight!! (only two months)
I still didn't get any sign that they move my order for almost 10 moths. It looks like if you pay more (after they increase the price) you will get car sooner. Not really fair for the one who ordered long time ago.

I had a 2014 550i and then a 2018 M550i and they were both a lot of fun. While the BMW's were "nicer" in some ways my current MYP is more fun, and happens to be faster than those at least from 0-70mph or so. The tech is so much more useful on the Tesla too. I remember I didn't even have remote start available on my 2018 which really annoyed me in the winter. Now I can have the temperature in the car perfect regardless of the outside temp which is much appreciated. Build quality on BMW's is great though, no doubt. Arguments to be had either way. Your X looks amazing.
The Germans pack in a lot of technology, especially in their flagship models, but I agree a lot of it usually isn't overly usable, their infotainment UIs are challenging to navigate, and it ultimately results in a lot more that can break.

Indeed my coworker order her MX LR with FSD two two months ago (April/2022) and she will get delivery tonight!! (only two months)
I still didn't get any sign that they move my order for almost 10 moths. It looks like if you pay more (after they increase the price) you will get car sooner. Not really fair for the one who ordered long time ago.
She just got lucky because someone rejected their delivery I would bet.

Reactions: ductordoc

I miss wireless CarPlay for some things. But the Spotify on Tesla UI is much better.
Our last BMW was 2017 before we switched to M3 in Mar 2019. I was surprised to see that BMW has most of the features Tesla has (lock/unlock as you walk away/approach, car pre-condition).

Stuff I missed from our X5:
- HUD
- Carplay
- Blindspot monitor on the side mirror (yes, I can look at the screen on the X for the video but it's much easier to look at the side view mirrors)
- 360 camera (never have a curb rash again)
- autopark that works (we had FSD on M3, I think maybe once the whole 3 yrs we had that it worked)
- backup assistant (being in CA, garage space is minimal, this makes backing out of a tight garage with car parking in the driveway a breeze)
- laser light
- sunshade on the second row window for the kiddos
- kick open trunk
- massage seat
- I can control passenger seat from the driver's side

Tesla features I wish the X5 had
- Homelink where it auto open/close

Now you see why we prefer the X5, lol.

That is SUCH garbage! No idea how someone gets a LR in 2 months and there are still many of us waiting more than 15 months! Just proves how bad Tesla is at running the business. Great cars but they are definitely going to lose customers over things like this!

The Germans pack in a lot of technology, especially in their flagship models, but I agree a lot of it usually isn't overly usable, their infotainment UIs are challenging to navigate, and it ultimately results in a lot more that can break.
Just wish that Tesla would include HUD’s. I had it in a 2004 Corvette and once you use it , you’re hooked. Also had on BMW X3M Competition. Seems like a “premium” feature that should be standard. If you buy into Elon’s self-driving vision I guess a HUD would be useless…

Last edited:
Just wish that Tesla would include HUD’s. I had it in a 2004 Corvette and once you use it , you’re hooked. Also had on BMW X3M Competition. Seems like a “premium” feature that should be standard. If you buy into Elon’s self-driving vision I guess a HUD would be useless…
Yeah, agreed. I've been lamenting the lack of an HUD or even a gauge cluster from the moment they revealed the Model 3, and my thoughts haven't changed after driving one for 3 years. Putting everything on a tablet that requires one to take their eyes off the road is just plain dumb, and I'll never understand the people who defend it as innovative. Just a classic case of mistaking motion for progress.

Yeah, agreed. I've been lamenting the lack of an HUD or even a gauge cluster from the moment they revealed the Model 3, and my thoughts haven't changed after driving one for 3 years. Putting everything on a tablet that requires one to take their eyes off the road is just plain dumb, and I'll never understand the people who defend it as innovative. Just a classic case of mistaking motion for progress.
All of this (no IC in 3/Y, no HUD, the yoke, no stalks, etc) is caused by Elon's belief that FSD will be ready "any day now." If one believes that is true, it doesn't make sense to pour a lot of R&D time and $ into a HUD that will be rendered useless once cars have FSD. Because of this you will not see very many features that will make Teslas a "driver's car."

That is SUCH garbage! No idea how someone gets a LR in 2 months and there are still many of us waiting more than 15 months! Just proves how bad Tesla is at running the business. Great cars but they are definitely going to lose customers over things like this!
Take a deep breath. We are all in this together waiting.

We were not there and dont know the circumstances.