Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
after driving for a day with MXP the car really is like a space ship with warp speed. the fastest car ive owned prior to this was a 2013 BMW m5. Will say the acceleration makes my head heart, makes me dizzy and i have yet to hit 100% down on the accelerator. visibility is great. yoke is a non issue. and somehow im already used to the signaling. the ride is buttery smooth. The MXLR is def fast enough, mxp is dare i say it... too fast. best of luck to all those still waiting. This is machine is a beast and i'll likely keep it for as long as possible.

Our last BMW was 2017 before we switched to M3 in Mar 2019. I was surprised to see that BMW has most of the features Tesla has (lock/unlock as you walk away/approach, car pre-condition).

Stuff I missed from our X5:
- HUD
- Carplay
- Blindspot monitor on the side mirror (yes, I can look at the screen on the X for the video but it's much easier to look at the side view mirrors)
- 360 camera (never have a curb rash again)
- autopark that works (we had FSD on M3, I think maybe once the whole 3 yrs we had that it worked)
- backup assistant (being in CA, garage space is minimal, this makes backing out of a tight garage with car parking in the driveway a breeze)
- laser light
- sunshade on the second row window for the kiddos
- kick open trunk
- massage seat
- I can control passenger seat from the driver's side

Tesla features I wish the X5 had
- Homelink where it auto open/close

Now you see why we prefer the X5, l
An iX7 would sell like hotcakes.
Why???

Luxury, size, comfort, and styling. Same reason the R1S with 400mi max pack should sell like crazy. The iX looks a bit goofy to me. It “looks like a EV” which usually is not a good thing. Teslas do not (imo). Give America a car that looks just like a current Yukon, X7, Escalade, or Range Rover but has a 400mi+ range and people will be ready to convert to EV.

Luxury, size, comfort, and styling. Same reason the R1S with 400mi max pack should sell like crazy. The iX looks a bit goofy to me. It “looks like a EV” which usually is not a good thing. Teslas do not (imo). Give America a car that looks just like a current Yukon, X7, Escalade, or Range Rover but has a 400mi+ range and people will be ready to convert to EV.
We have a 2017 Yukon currently, and the Model X is not big enough to be a replacement for it. So the plan is for the wife to drive the X and me to drive the Yukon until either my R1S or my Cybertruck arrives. Not holding my breath for either of those though! Lord knows, maybe 2024? 2025?

The R1S is about 10% smaller interior room than our Yukon, but the frunk should help make up for that. I really wish they offered an R1S XL that had the same overall length as the R1T (an extra 18” or so). That way you could have useable space behind the third row. Same thing with the Model X, I wish they offered a long wheelbase edition that added a couple feet in length. It’s not like added length increases drag, and the added weight’s effect on range can be more than offset by a longer, larger battery pack.

We have a 2017 Yukon currently, and the Model X is not big enough to be a replacement for it. So the plan is for the wife to drive the X and me to drive the Yukon until either my R1S or my Cybertruck arrives. Not holding my breath for either of those though! Lord knows, maybe 2024? 2025?

The R1S is about 10% smaller interior room than our Yukon, but the frunk should help make up for that. I really wish they offered an R1S XL that had the same overall length as the R1T (an extra 18” or so). That way you could have useable space behind the third row. Same thing with the Model X, I wish they offered a long wheelbase edition that added a couple feet in length. It’s not like added length increases drag, and the added weight’s effect on range can be more than offset by a longer, larger battery pack.

We had a 2018 Expedition .... it's probably on par with the Yukon size wise. With the third row up, the storage in the back was useless. I could not fit our stroller(s) in the back. I suspect the Yukon is similar. Only solution was a minivan or Expedition Max or Suburban length vehicle. We ended up in a minivan (Pacifica Hybrid). With the X, it looks like you can actually fit strollers behind the 3rd row. Now the passenger cabin space is no comparison to the minivan or an Expedition/Yukon. The current plan is to trade/sell the Y when the X comes and we will keep the minivan. I thought about an R1S reservation as well.. but who knows when that might show up if I do it now.

I hope that Ford will make an Expedition lighting. I would be all over that. And even if the space behind the 3rd row has similar limitation as an ICE version, the frunk will take care of my needs. I imagine a full size EV SUV would sell pretty well.

We had a 2018 Expedition .... it's probably on par with the Yukon size wise. With the third row up, the storage in the back was useless. I could not fit our stroller(s) in the back. I suspect the Yukon is similar. Only solution was a minivan or Expedition Max or Suburban length vehicle. We ended up in a minivan (Pacifica Hybrid). With the X, it looks like you can actually fit strollers behind the 3rd row. Now the passenger cabin space is no comparison to the minivan or an Expedition/Yukon. The current plan is to trade/sell the Y when the X comes and we will keep the minivan. I thought about an R1S reservation as well.. but who knows when that might show up if I do it now.

I hope that Ford will make an Expedition lighting. I would be all over that. And even if the space behind the 3rd row has similar limitation as an ICE version, the frunk will take care of my needs. I imagine a full size EV SUV would sell pretty well.
You’d think with how enormous those SUVs are they could be a 200kwh+ pack in there, give it 400+ easy. The cost could be insane though since it already is for ICE versions.

• Love
Reactions: KidsEyeDr

I have the regular Yukon, not the Yukon XL. Only difference between the two is an extra 24” of space behind the third row. When we bought it five years ago we didn’t have any kids yet, but now with (soon to be) two kids, and a third planned in the next couple years, and two large dogs, I wish we had opted for the XL. Price difference was only like $3,000 between the two

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Just got back home from picking up our Plaid. Super smooth, paperwork took maybe 5 min with trade in. Didn’t notice any issues other than one minor thing so far. FWD looks great.

….got home and popped all the doors and now the frunk won’t latch close 😡

View attachment 823219View attachment 823220View attachment 823221View attachment 823222View attachment 823223
Closing the frunk is a bit tricky for refresh that I found out. The metal sheet I believe is thinner than my old MX. I had to use my 2 palms and push it down at the edge of the hood.

Reactions: -motts-
I'm in a similar situation where a dealer has a new X with 50 miles - while they are charging more than I would be paying for my Oct 21 reservation that's now delayed until at least Q4 2022, they're also offering me a lot more for my trade in than Tesla would offer - to the point where I come out ahead now. If I sold my car private and didn't get the tax savings for trading in, comparing those deals I may end up paying $6K more but I get the car now and not 6 months which could impact the value of my current car. I just wanted to ensure that if I go and buy this car and see panel gaps, FWD alignment issues, etc it would all be the same as if I got it new from Tesla for repairs
You will need to check with Tesla on cosmetic corrections because there may be a very low mileage restriction (100 miles?) but they WILL make mechanical repairs under the factory warranty. I asked my contact @ Tesla when I first considered buying from Ford and he immediately txted back that Tesla would NOT cover any problems. The next morning he apologized for the misinformation and said “Tesla warranties are factory warranties and are good no matter where you purchase the vehicle.” I took mine in two weeks ago and the service center did not give me any hassles because my purchase source was not direct from Tesla.

Soooo it's July 1... anyone here have inside info on the MX line at Fremont? Interested in hearing if there's a "Start of quarter production pause" as many have predicted (presumably for matrix lights and perhaps other changes).
I am hoping the same and really want them to make full use of July 4th holiday to make this change.... So want matrix headlights on the Model X..