Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering switching to Plaid so I can get the car sooner. Still gotta talk to my tax guy but from the little research I’ve done it seems sec 179 would be the way to go and would make the 30k difference an easier pill to swallow. Anyone else use 179?
Also, be very aware of how recapture works. Essentially you are taking the full lifetime of tax deductions for the vehicle immediately (when you file your 2022 taxes) BUT if you sell the vehicle later you owe taxes on that amount. So if you keep it for a long time it can make a lot of sense. You can also write off taxes/fees, other vehicle related maintenance and expenses (tires, etc). Talk to your CPA, do the math, see if it makes sense. You are absolutely not gettng 40% off the vehicle (or whatever your tax rate is) for free. The government wants that money back if they can get some of it. You can theoretically keep driving it forever (as long as business use remains over 50%) until the vehicle really isn’t worth much. Also, make sure your 2022 use will be very high after you take delivery, you can only deduct the % of business use this year. I am not a CPA. Talk to yours.

Reactions: Bradlmas
Also, be very aware of how recapture works. Essentially you are taking the full lifetime of tax deductions for the vehicle immediately (when you file your 2022 taxes) BUT if you sell the vehicle later you owe taxes on that amount. So if you keep it for a long time it can make a lot of sense. You can also write off taxes/fees, other vehicle related maintenance and expenses (tires, etc). Talk to your CPA, do the math, see if it makes sense. You are absolutely not gettng 40% off the vehicle (or whatever your tax rate is) for free. The government wants that money back if they can get some of it. You can theoretically keep driving it forever (as long as business use remains over 50%) until the vehicle really isn’t worth much. Also, make sure your 2022 use will be very high after you take delivery, you can only deduct the % of business use this year. I am not a CPA. Talk to yours.
That’s some great information. Really appreciate it! Sounds like it would work for me so I’ll talk to my CPA and get it sorted

Reactions: Jbapckfan
Hi all,

Scheduled to take delivery tomorrow of the Plaid X. It all happened so quick (2 months) so I am curious if there's anything I should look out for. I am located in the Bay Area and picking up in Seaside.
  • May 4, 2022 - original order date/deposit with EDD Aug-Oct 2022 for midnight silver/22/FSD
  • May 7 - updated order to change exterior color to solid black
  • June 25 - VIN assigned, asked to schedule delivery but I was on vacation
  • June 30 - officially unassigned first vehicle because I couldn't take delivery
  • July 2 - SA assigned new vehicle but different color (back to midnight silver) which I said was okay
  • July 5 - I called to remove FSD
  • July 8 - picking up tomorrow
I may be one of the lucky ones as my VIN seems new (NF3500?). Is there anyway to know if it will come with the tilting screen? What else should I look for? This is our first X. We've had two M3 and one MY.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Scheduled to take delivery tomorrow of the Plaid X. It all happened so quick (2 months) so I am curious if there's anything I should look out for. I am located in the Bay Area and picking up in Seaside.
  • May 4, 2022 - original order date/deposit with EDD Aug-Oct 2022 for midnight silver/22/FSD
  • June 30 - officially unassigned first vehicle because I couldn't take delivery
  • July 2 - SA assigned new vehicle but different color (back to midnight silver) which I said was okay
I may be one of the lucky ones as my VIN seems new (NF3500?). Is there anyway to know if it will come with the tilting screen? What else should I look for? This is our first X. We've had two M3 and one MY.

Thanks!
We’d all appreciate a report back on your driving impressions, delivery experience, whether you have key fobs, and whatever else you want to share. Sounds like you’ve have the latest features… whatever that means. Congrats!

Reactions: Elixir and Vxc22
Between this and the mobile charger I'm a little annoyed at the nickel and dime approach to a six figure car. I understand trying to shave every dollar of cost off of a Model 3 or Y to make them more affordable for the masses, but FFS this is not the way to treat your luxury high-end buyers!
Between the fob, the key and the phone, to me, it's overkill. The mobile charger is pretty much useless since the X batteries are so large. You have to be somewhere for a few days not moving before it really registers. Not losing charge overnight is helpful. Maybe on the 3/Y its more useful.

Have a feeling this will be same as mobile connector, if you ordered after July 1 2022 you won't get included. If you ordered prior you will. I for one expect them or a discount as when I ordered they were included.
Regarding the FOB. My refresh XLR came with two (picked up on June 4th). Happen to like it. However, I also like the charging stations in the center console. So much so that I have inadvertently left the phone on the charger when I departed the car. Several times. I did not realize that as long as the phone is on the charger the car is completely unlocked. To me that is an insecure situation. So - just be aware.

Also - the automatic opening of the door when I approach has completely freaked me out. Almost caused the door to be clobbered by an oncoming car. Turned that off. Happy now...

Got EAP. Tried it out yesterday and realized how much I missed it. It's OK... We're heading to the Washington coast on Sunday so will have an opportunity to check out a lot of things. Wondering if lane centering is better with or without EAP.

Still very happy with the Blue Bat.....

Would like to hear an acoustic engineer (no pun intended here) chime in on how best to lower road noise on the X. I've left the original floor mats under the WeatherTech mats and it seems OK. Is there a better solution?

Bob.
2022 XLR Blue/Black EAP. 6 seats. 20". Waited 16 months for delivery...

Between the fob, the key and the phone, to me, it's overkill. The mobile charger is pretty much useless since the X batteries are so large. You have to be somewhere for a few days not moving before it really registers. Not losing charge overnight is helpful. Maybe on the 3/Y its more useful.
The mobile charger is my primary charging solution. I have a charging station in my rental's garage. 240 volt/50 amp. It'll give me 32 amps. 6% charge per hour. If I plug the car in when I get home it's ready the next morning. Suppose I could figure out a higher amp solution but am asking myself why?? If I plug it in overnight do I really care if the charging is complete at 2:00 AM or 6:00 AM - when I don't get to the car before 8:00? I could snag my son's Volvo cable and charge at 40 amps. Have done that. When I'm on the road I'll find a supercharger and use it...

• Love
Reactions: Elixir
Hi all,

Thanks!
Tilt screen yes.
Late April production is when it started.

I ordered a MX LR on 5-10-22 and was given the dreaded 2023 EDD. Not wanting to wait that long I changed my order to Plaid a week later. I was then moved to a June EDD but that only held for 2 weeks until it was moved back to Aug - Sept.

Wanting to see if I could get in on some EOQ action, I placed a second plaid order on 6-10-22 but put Vegas as the delivery location (I live in Minnesota). My thought process is a location closer to the factory might assign a VIN EOQ.

On June 28th I saw on the plaid forum that there was a plaid in Indy that was available. I called the next morning and the SA was quick to match my order. I was excited not only to get my X after only one month but just as much that I had submitted a trade in quote and loan application when I thought delivery was coming in June. Both were very favorable. I just needed to drive to Indy. By Thursday!?!

The day before delivery I had multiple texts from Tesla matching the VIN and confirming the delivery appointment. I thought I was getting a lot of texts b but didn’t think too much about it.

It wasn’t until I looked closer at one of them that gave the pick up address. It was Vegas. That’s right. On my way to Indy I discovered my second order had been matched to a VIN in Vegas. While I had momentarily had TWO plaids ready for delivery I promptly disassociated that VIN and put the order on hold. I was committed to the Indy delivery.

I got into town late but immediately went to the SC in the dark and armed with the light on my phone. I couldn’t find anything wrong with the car. Paint excellent. Gaps excellent. FWD alignment acceptable. Needed to be cleaned but all looked good. I slept well waiting for the next morning delivery.

Delivery was easy. I used Plaid to pay. Turned over the keys to my trade and despite having 5,000 more miles than when the quote was given no questions were asked. The SA had no problem opening the door before accepting delivery. I guess the fact I came 600 miles and just turned in my trade keys convinced him I wasn’t bailing.

I had a 2020 LR so I knew what I was getting but a few observations:

- The interior is vastly improved. Not luxury, but immensely improved.
- It’s much quieter. Double pane glass is a huge help.
- This Plaid is insane. While LR is nothing to scoff at, Plaid makes it feel like an AMC Hornet.
- I thought I really wanted / needed the swivel screen but this Indy car was built the week before it was implemented. I don’t see any need for it.

If you want a fast delivery, order a plaid. I had FSD then switched to EAP. So FSD made no difference. It was the Plaid that got me TWO VINs within 30-45 days of ordering.

I can’t imagine waiting as long as many of those have on this forum. Good luck to all!
Great story! I was wondering is yours five, six or seven seats?

I’m trying to estimate the current South Florida third party sale price for immediate resale of a low-mileage March 2022 MX LR 20” 6-seat FSD white with black seats. I wonder if it might be about the same as today’s price of the same car in Plaid, maybe without FSD? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Great story! I was wondering is yours five, six or seven seats?

I’m trying to estimate the current South Florida third party sale price for immediate resale of a low-mileage March 2022 MX LR 20” 6-seat FSD white with black seats. I wonder if it might be about the same as today’s price of the same car in Plaid, maybe without FSD? Thoughts?
6 seats black interior

Reactions: Aerobee
Hi all,

Thanks!
Certainly looks like a very fresh VIN. Do you have a build date? This is one of the first deliveries we've seen reported around here this month. When you see it, please take pictures of your headlights... a lot of folks expecting the transition to matrix headlights soon.

If they're matrix, they should look more like this... note the round "bulbs" (pic from a Model S):

1657283964056.png

Our vehicles may not come with key fobs. Glad I ordered a cover for them already.

I received fobs
They are cute
And I haven’t touched them since I received them and put the cute key fob case on.

I ordered the Teslaunch mats. It'll be interesting to see how they work. Right now I have MaxSpiders on my Plaid that came outta my 2018 MX, and don't fit right. I'm also interested in a possibly even quieter cabin with that double layer. The quieter for music, the better.
The included mats are all I have

And whew they collect dirt fast and are a pain to vacuum thoroughly

We finally took delivery of our Long Range X Refresh. Ordered just over a year ago, Tesla delivered the car and put it in my garage while I was on vacation.
It is quite a difference with our original X. Definitely faster. Much quieter on the road and charges faster as well. Everything just seems more refined (I do miss the Alcantara on the dash).
Doing the weeklong FSD approval drives now. Lets see if this will activate. Amazing that our AP1 X seems more predictable on the freeway than this AP3 version but of course doesn't have all the other capabilities.

Love the car so far. Don't mind the Yoke too much even though I would have liked a signal stalk