Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what happens when dealerships are cut out and you are essentially in line for a cookie cutter car to be matched to your order.

I got VIN’d paid for the car and had my VIN pulled. No car, no money.
I think it's more this is what happens when they have way more demand than supply and don't really have to care about the customer experience. It'll be a rude awakening when/if other companies catch up on the technology side. Some are already getting close.

Reactions: 1pinhigh
Tesla's customer service for delivery is just so unreasonable and arrogant.

I got a text message Friday (07/15) noon saying my model x is scheduled for home delivery on Sunday (07/17) afternoon. Before that, I didn't even have a VIN but just an EDD of 07/26 - 08/19 (I rejected a delivery once on 06/30. At that time they also notified my only two days in advance and I was out of town so couldn't take the delivery, and they declined to reschedule). I replied that I might not be able to make it considering I need to secure an auto loan within such a short time frame not to mention that most banks close on Saturdays, but no one replied. So I rushed to a Tesla store to speak to someone there, and they told me that I had to take the delivery on Sunday because I have rejected once and this is my last chance, otherwise they will permanently cancel my order. I begged them to give me maybe one or two days so I have enough time to get the auto loan approved but they refused. They told me that they always have this 3-day turn over policy and there is no exception. A total bullshit!

This is just so ridiculous. I have waited Tesla for 1 year and 3 months (My order date is on April 2021), but Tesla cannot wait me for even one day? What if I won't be around on Sunday, are they really going to cancel my order? So shameless. Even though I am paying in full, if I had to sell stocks, I don't see how it is possible to get the trade settled and money transferred to a checking account before Sunday. It feels like they are trying to either force me to use Tesla finance (The rate is 4.xx%) or cancel my order.

It was 1pm when I left the Tesla store. I didn't have time to shop around so I rushed to my city's credit union and luckily they are so efficient and secured my loan before they close. They told me they will mail the check to Tesla overnight, but considering it is weekend, I am not sure if Tesla will receive the check before Sunday's delivery time. Finger-crossed.

FYI, my VIN number is 3542XX, so it should be built very recently. If I successfully got my model x tomorrow, I will post any new findings in a later post.

If Tesla eventually cancelled my order after all these hassles, just because they didn't get the check before tomorrow, I will sue them for sure!

Just got my Model X LR this afternoon! My VIN is 3542XX, so basically the most recent build. It was home delivery with 24 miles on it when it arrived at my home. I am in the South Bay Area so I suspect it was driven from Fremont factory directly to my place?

It is a 6 seater with cream interior. Overall good build quality. No matrix headlight. No pocket on the back of the seat.

Pros:

1. Super powerful. Even for the LR model, the acceleration is way more faster than any SUVs I have ever driven.

2. Super spacious. Much larger than I expected. I am 6'1" and I can fit myself in the third row with some comfort.

3. I really like the swivel screen feature. It brings up the screen closer so you have a much better viewing angel, especially for the right side of the screen.

Issues / Cons:

1. No key fobs any more! I didn't find the key fobs anywhere inside my car, only key cards. I searched online and found some articles saying that key fobs are not included any more for Model X and S deliveries after July 1st. Too bad, so sad.

2. The airbag worm is still there.

3. There is a huge crack on the inside lens of the headlight. See pics. It is on the upper part of the assembly, not the low/high beam. I am not sure what the lens are for, because they are never lit. Are they just for decoration? Anyway I will get Tesla to replace it. Please check yours carefully. It is very difficult to spot unless you get really close. I found it when I was trying to see if the headlight is matrix or not. Otherwise I guess I will never be aware of the crack.

Please see attached images for details!

Attachments

• PXL_20220718_210624832.jpg
    PXL_20220718_210624832.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 106
  • PXL_20220718_210654904.jpg
    PXL_20220718_210654904.jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 88
  • PXL_20220718_211141689.jpg
    PXL_20220718_211141689.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20220718_220023420.jpg
    PXL_20220718_220023420.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 96
  • PXL_20220718_220103392.jpg
    PXL_20220718_220103392.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20220718_225835731.jpg
    PXL_20220718_225835731.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 90
  • PXL_20220718_223615035.jpg
    PXL_20220718_223615035.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20220718_232525654.jpg
    PXL_20220718_232525654.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20220718_232536678.jpg
    PXL_20220718_232536678.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 98
Mine was also put on hold last week and I immediately clicked I’m ready. And I got the VIN yesterday, so I guess they may just use this to identify who are ready to take delivery soon.
It does seem reasonable that Tesla is adding a process step as delivery gets close to identify folks who may not want the car anymore and to help reduce the number of rejects at delivery time. If this is true, getting this button is a positive indication that a VIN will appear sooner rather than later.

Either that or this is the Interns mid summer project..

How does one avoid this from happening? For my M3 I handed them a check when I picked up the car. Is this still the case\possible? Should I not send them money until I see the car on the lot?
I did not give them the cashier’s check in full payment for my MXLR until after I had spent 40 minutes inspecting the car inside and out. The SA was very accommodating and told me to take as much time as I needed to inspect the car. He did not ask me about payment until I went back inside and told him I was accepting the car. Before my delivery day I received a text asking me to pay and I responded that I was bringing a cashier’s check. I received no pushback on this. From everything I’ve read in this thread, delivery experiences are not uniform and vary widely from SC to SC. This is Tesla’s failing and they need to strive for delivery experiences like I had, for all deliveries.

I'm seeing lots of people saying they have VINs which is great, but it seems the majority of them are not in the spreadsheet? If you have an order please take a couple minutes and add a line with your info into the sheet. It is a big help to the rest of us who are trying to get a sense of when we might get our cars!

Has anyone figured out what the criteria is for having your order forcibly put on hold? its it only ones that have EDDs this quarter? May '21 order here, and still have a date range of Oct-Nov. I have a feeling I will be driving down to my local SC in a day or two to have a chat with someone...

Has anyone figured out what the criteria is for having your order forcibly put on hold? its it only ones that have EDDs this quarter? May '21 order here, and still have a date range of Oct-Nov. I have a feeling I will be driving down to my local SC in a day or two to have a chat with someone...
It's all speculative, nothing concrete. Could be a bug/unintended behavior, could be an intern messing with things, could be a way to filter out legacy orders from folks who don't actually intend to buy the car, etc.

Reactions: Elixir
Just got my Model X LR this afternoon! My VIN is 3542XX, so basically the most recent build. It was home delivery with 24 miles on it when it arrived at my home. I am in the South Bay Area so I suspect it was driven from Fremont factory directly to my place?

It is a 6 seater with cream interior. Overall good build quality. No matrix headlight. No pocket on the back of the seat.

Pros:

1. Super powerful. Even for the LR model, the acceleration is way more faster than any SUVs I have ever driven.

2. Super spacious. Much larger than I expected. I am 6'1" and I can fit myself in the third row with some comfort.

3. I really like the swivel screen feature. It brings up the screen closer so you have a much better viewing angel, especially for the right side of the screen.

Issues / Cons:

1. No key fobs any more! I didn't find the key fobs anywhere inside my car, only key cards. I searched online and found some articles saying that key fobs are not included any more for Model X and S deliveries after July 1st. Too bad, so sad.

2. The airbag worm is still there.

3. There is a huge crack on the inside lens of the headlight. See pics. It is on the upper part of the assembly, not the low/high beam. I am not sure what the lens are for, because they are never lit. Are they just for decoration? Anyway I will get Tesla to replace it. Please check yours carefully. It is very difficult to spot unless you get really close. I found it when I was trying to see if the headlight is matrix or not. Otherwise I guess I will never be aware of the crack.

Please see attached images for details!
Thanks for this. The original MX Matrix headlights rumor was June/July, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're still looking for them into August. Perhaps a supply chain issue.

Who knows what's going on with the seat back pockets. That's so weird that they'd render it but still not ship anything.

Bummer about the fobs :(. At least we can still buy them though.

Thanks for this. The original MX Matrix headlights rumor was June/July, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're still looking for them into August. Perhaps a supply chain issue.

Who knows what's going on with the seat back pockets. That's so weird that they'd render it but still not ship anything.

Bummer about the fobs :(. At least we can still buy them though.
Yea we are buying something We already bought. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Wow, the impossible happened. I got VINned!! 13+ months, which I know isn’t as long as some in here, but I thought the day would never come.

6/10/21, LR/6/Red/Black/20/FSD
VIN NF3549xx

Was told it’s still in production and not even done being built yet, but EDD updated to July 23-29.

Excited but also nervous about any potential issues, delays, etc. Also hoping to not have any disasters like VIN getting pulled. I’ve seen too much on this forum haha.

Just today I and few others had the hold on our orders and we all have 1+ year old orders. My edd goes back to same 8 weeks span Sept-Oct after click on I am ready confirmation. Hopefully get some positive action soon since I am close to 15 months waiting. We are all hang in here hoping for matrix lights, back seat pockets but most of all improving on built QUALITY and faster delivery. Good luck on getting some info from the SC advisors.

Reactions: cjkosh
Wow, the impossible happened. I got VINned!! 13+ months, which I know isn’t as long as some in here, but I thought the day would never come.

6/10/21, LR/6/Red/Black/20/FSD
VIN NF3549xx

Was told it’s still in production and not even done being built yet, but EDD updated to July 23-29.

Excited but also nervous about any potential issues, delays, etc. Also hoping to not have any disasters like VIN getting pulled. I’ve seen too much on this forum haha.
Wish you much luck in this lottery.

I ordered a month prior to you, same config/color. Still waiting...