Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the easiest way to remedy would be similar to the mobile charger. Give to those who ordered before the change and don't to all those after. Also would be the most fair.
Absolutely. I'll say again that in practical terms this isn't a huge issue (to either Tesla or their customer), but on paper it looks rather bad.

It's so puzzling that they'd do this that I think it all but confirms that they had a supply chain disruption. I can imagine program managers flipping tables by not being able to deliver cars because they ran out of key fobs.

Reactions: triharder81
Absolutely. I'll say again that in practical terms this isn't a huge issue (to either Tesla or their customer), but on paper it looks rather bad.

It's so puzzling that they'd do this that I think it all but confirms that they had a supply chain disruption. I can imagine program managers flipping tables by not being able to deliver cars because they ran out of key fobs.

But you can still buy them from the online store. I would think if it was a supply chain problem then they wouldn't be available to purchase. I bet there will be an uptick in store purchases soon since the key fob is much more functional for the X than it is for the other models.

But you can still buy them from the online store. I would think if it was a supply chain problem then they wouldn't be available to purchase. I bet there will be an uptick in store purchases soon since the key fob is much more functional for the X than it is for the other models.
Yeah, that's true. But it could always be a situation where there's only 90% of stocked projected keys available. Tesla doesn't want to hold up that remaining 10%.

Actually the phone key works as well as if not better than the fob key. One hint, make sure the App on your phone has location services set to “Always” and not just “when using.” If you have more than one vehicle in the app, the desired vehicle must be one last selected in the app (“on top” so to speak)
That need to select a vehicle was a real pain for us and the phone app. Also, it selects the music for my wife when I want my music.

Good thought, but given the unconventional nature of the operation with zero advertising and marketing and no public relations department (other than Elon’s tweets that are about to become more expensive), I’m not so sure.

Elon tweeted about the mobile connector. Had they been taking the cost of that out of the car he'd have said so.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 4.57.02 PM.png

The mobile connector they only got rid of for new orders, so you would have known at the time of ordering that you weren't getting it.

I'm guessing the difference between fobs and mobile connector is because they had in writing that the car would come with the connector, but probably not for the fobs?

I'm totally on board with them making these things optional, as I understand they aren't something used by everyone, but that really should apply to new orders only. At least they aren't pulling the crap Rivian tried to do by changing the prices of orders after the fact... Eventually they will run out of "optional" things to remove from the old orders :)
Understand, however, Rivian did make their mis-calculation right by honoring the original pricing for orders placed prior to the increase.

Guise, I need help!

I've been refreshing hourly! Make it stop! Goes and finds a paper bag to huff in.

Details in sig.
I feel you...I'm in a similar situation with just a "slight" twist! My order day was Mar 8, 2021 and the current EDD has been holding at 8/7 - 8/28. Now the twist, we are going to be out of the country, from 8/13 through 8/26 on a cruise that was planned over a year ago. It never even crossed my mind that I may have an issue with my X delivery during the 2 weeks I'll be out of the country. Surely I would have received my X long before I ended up with a conflict.

I've been exchanging emails with the KC SC Ops guy and basically he's telling me "tough noogies" they can't hold a car, deemed ready to deliver, for more than 3 days. After waiting for over 500 days that is a total garbage response from the Tesla policy, especially given that my EDD has changed at least 10 times, probably more. To add insult to injury, I have a friend who graciously agreed to inspect and take delivery of the car while we are out of the country. I just found out today, that Tesla can't issue the paperwork for my trade-in or resubmit my loan request until the VIN has been assigned, which makes the pickup by our friend a bit problematic. While we will have internet on the ship, I don't want to spend my days refreshing the app over and over looking for a VIN so that I can then have the process initiated. I'm hoping that the ship has a business center where I could print out, sign, scan and e-mail back, but haven't received confirmation yet that Tesla can accept that.

Who would have thunk it....

They could have delivered the car without key fobs but promised to mail them to my address when they become available.

I feel you...I'm in a similar situation with just a "slight" twist! My order day was Mar 8, 2021 and the current EDD has been holding at 8/7 - 8/28. Now the twist, we are going to be out of the country, from 8/13 through 8/26 on a cruise that was planned over a year ago. It never even crossed my mind that I may have an issue with my X delivery during the 2 weeks I'll be out of the country. Surely I would have received my X long before I ended up with a conflict.

I've been exchanging emails with the KC SC Ops guy and basically he's telling me "tough noogies" they can't hold a car, deemed ready to deliver, for more than 3 days. After waiting for over 500 days that is a total garbage response from the Tesla policy, especially given that my EDD has changed at least 10 times, probably more. To add insult to injury, I have a friend who graciously agreed to inspect and take delivery of the car while we are out of the country. I just found out today, that Tesla can't issue the paperwork for my trade-in or resubmit my loan request until the VIN has been assigned, which makes the pickup by our friend a bit problematic. While we will have internet on the ship, I don't want to spend my days refreshing the app over and over looking for a VIN so that I can then have the process initiated. I'm hoping that the ship has a business center where I could print out, sign, scan and e-mail back, but haven't received confirmation yet that Tesla can accept that.

Taking delivery in KC as well. Been impressed with service so far on my Y and delivery was seem less. More worried about the MXP delivery. Good luck.

They tried to f*** me by saying this to, but I talked to the local delivery team and they confirmed you can have a POA accept delivery for you

Two keys + mobile connector that is almost $600 they took out of the car. From your reply I assume you think I am being cheap but why should I eat the cost vs a half a trillion dollar company?

Not to mention the car is short radar, and probably a handful of other things while our wait times keep getting pushed further back.
Indeed as i mentioned Tesla will take horn away since we use it RARELY <-- that's a good word for excuse taking stuff away. RARELY to use, what i can think about are horn, spare tire, trunk cover, and what else? may collect some items that they make take away from us in case.......... Oh yeah btw, they may take out the break since they will say you need to get used to ONE PEDAL drive. so sad ....

Reactions: Alex310 and Elixir