Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One point of view about tesla priorisizing higher margin cars over lower, we European, at least i in Finland is propably delivery vice on even worse situation with plaid order than long wait US customers because of us eur rate gone to parity.

My order price with sales taxes are 130k€ and tax rate is 24% including blue 20" fsd so it's wo taxes 104k us$ plus road tax prox 3400 us$. When i ordered it, eur usd rate was 1.17 and base price was at 121k€ for plaid.

Calc this as base price for my order of plaid to 98k$

That for sure is one issue why to let us european wait...

Just got VIN'd: 7SAXCBE68NF353xxx.

Can't tell if the vehicle has rolled off the line yet or not / the VIN is not yet recognized by the Tesla Factory Build Date site.

Ordered: May 20, 2022 - Refresh MXP, White/Black, 6 seat, 20", No FSD.
EDDs: Aug-Oct '22 -> Aug 18-Oct 13 -> Jun 18-Jul 4 -> EOQ older VIN assigned / rejected -> Aug 12-Sep 23 -> Aug 20-Sep 24

I'm having trouble accessing the form to input this info into the spreadsheet. Much appreciated if someone else could do so when have the chance.

Not sure if this helps, I just recently received my vin: 7SAXCBE59NF355xxx and it was just built a few days ago.

T-12 hours until delivery. I went in today after hours because I had to see if it was there and indeed it was. Walked right up to it, fully expecting misaligned panels. Nope, looked perfect. I was shocked.

Question for the group- I know there’s a lot of talk here about PPF. I’m torn. On one side, I know Tesla paint quality sucks, and we’re buying this as a road trip/family car so it’ll probably get exposed to rocks quite a bit on the road.

On the flip side, again, we’re buying this as a family road trip car and probably keeping it for a while. Does it really matter if it gets chipped here and there? How obvious are rock chips? Red exterior if it matters. $6-7k for a full PPF or $3k for half seems like a lot. That’s not even including ceramic or tint.

How have your previous Tesla exteriors held up without PPF?

T-12 hours until delivery. I went in today after hours because I had to see if it was there and indeed it was. Walked right up to it, fully expecting misaligned panels. Nope, looked perfect. I was shocked.

Question for the group- I know there’s a lot of talk here about PPF. I’m torn. On one side, I know Tesla paint quality sucks, and we’re buying this as a road trip/family car so it’ll probably get exposed to rocks quite a bit on the road.

On the flip side, again, we’re buying this as a family road trip car and probably keeping it for a while. Does it really matter if it gets chipped here and there? How obvious are rock chips? Red exterior if it matters. $6-7k for a full PPF or $3k for half seems like a lot. That’s not even including ceramic or tint.

My first Tesla was (is) a 2015 Model S 85D. I didn't do PPF or the like because I was seriously stretching my budget just to get the car. After 7 years and 103K miles, it definitely has a few chips and scrapes, mostly on the hood and front bumper, but also in rather odd places where...being a family car, sh*t happens to it. Like the time my kid's friend ran his bike into the trunk, or the time my kid kicked a soccer ball through the garage window and we had plexiglass shards scratch up the rear quarter panel. Still, I've had people say it looks like it's in good shape. Maybe the fact it's Metallic Silver helps.

On my 2022 Long Range Model X I had some more budget, so I did the full paint correction + PPF + CQuartz treatment with OCDetailing in Fremont. That car is Midnight Silver Metallic (otherwise known as dark gray). I think its color would probably show scratches more.

(A few years ago, I met someone with a red 2013 Model S that had the same treatment and it looked brand new.)

You asked does it matter? A few chips here and there aren't fatal and aren't going to mechanically compromise the car. So it might not be in car-show-prize-winning condition, but it'll get you and your family where you need to go. In the end that comes down to more of a psychological than a technical question, for which there isn't a single "right" answer. It's really up to you.

Hope that helps, have fun with delivery!

Bruce.

Last edited:
So you think there isn’t consistent demand for 50,000 Model S/X per quarter? Maybe more people would buy them if the wait time wasn’t absurd
Tesla delivered around 57k s/x for the entire year of 2020. And at that time, the waiting time was not as absurd as it is now (I’m talking before they stopped production for the refresh). So, I don’t think they can sell 50k s/x per quarter even if they have the capacity to produce that many. IMO, the price is a much bigger prohibitive factor than the waiting time on why they can’t sell that many s/x.

Reactions: Fleetwood75
Just received my 2nd VIN today 352xxx (first disappeared two weeks ago after a few days) and my EDD is now Aug 6-10 which sounds pretty encouraging. My 2019M3P trade in dropped to $49k but I do have an offer from “Car Buyer USA” for $55k. Now I quickly have to decide if I’m going to go through with this. We saw a new ModelS yesterday and my wife said why don’t you get that instead…. ughh. Have to say I’m a bit concerned about the issues I’ve read about in this site with folks and their new MXs, although my M3P has been excellent as have the SC visits Ive had in the past. My purchase price is $131k so it’s a pretty big commitment for me. Need to make up my mind pretty darn quick!
I drove a new 2022 Model S for a couple of weeks before my new MXLR was finally delivered. Both are great, but at 6’4” I’m much more comfortable in the MXLR. I’ve now had the MXLR for a month and took a long road trip in it this weekend and have had no issues so far. Also, nobody complains about being in the back seat of the MX like they did in the MS.

On my 2022 Long Range Model X I had some more budget, so I did the full paint correction + PPF + CQuartz treatment with OCDetailing in Fremont. That car is Midnight Silver Metallic (otherwise known as dark gray). I think its color would probably show scratches more.
Waiting patiently for my pickup down in the deep South Bay (Gilroy) -- EDD is Aug 25 - Oct 20 (Sept'21 order). What'd that full paint correction, PPF, CQuartz treatment run you at OCDetailing if you don't mind me asking. My 2019 M3LR doesn't have PPF and it's obvious thanks to some chips. Not sure I want to leave the MXLR in the same way.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Elixir
Waiting patiently for my pickup down in the deep South Bay (Gilroy) -- EDD is Aug 25 - Oct 20 (Sept'21 order). What'd that full paint correction, PPF, CQuartz treatment run you at OCDetailing if you don't mind me asking. My 2019 M3LR doesn't have PPF and it's obvious thanks to some chips. Not sure I want to leave the MXLR in the same way.

Thanks in advance!
They charge $8k for all of it.

They charge $8k for all of it.

$9K for mine, not sure why we had different prices but at least that gives the order of magnitude. OCDetailing is definitely not the cheapest but they did a great job with fantastic customer service.

(Full disclosure: I have no affiliation with OCDetailing except as a satisfied customer, and this is not an official TMC endorsement.)

Bruce.

Reactions: neo1738 and Elixir
Tesla delivered around 57k s/x for the entire year of 2020. And at that time, the waiting time was not as absurd as it is now (I’m talking before they stopped production for the refresh). So, I don’t think they can sell 50k s/x per quarter even if they have the capacity to produce that many. IMO, the price is a much bigger prohibitive factor than the waiting time on why they can’t sell that many s/x.
In 2020 people were being very cautious with their spending due to uncertainty about the pandemic. Also, gas was super cheap. In 2022 I think you have a lot of $200k+ income households that are ready to make the switch to an EV but who won’t regard a 3/Y as an adequate replacement for a BMW, Lexus, Escalade, etc. So maybe 50k/quarter is an over estimate, but I think that they could definitely sell more than what they currently are if they focused on increasing capacity. Maybe add an S/X line in Texas, or Berlin

I can't say how ours would have held up without PPF, but we took a rock in the first week of ownership to the hood of the M3P, and the PPF saved the day. Glad we added it to the front ends (hood, bumper, front fenders) of both the M3P & MYLR right away, DIY. PPF through Drive Protected... just a satisfied customer. Videos tell you all that you need to know. Start with the hood. Bought a more complete kit for the MXP. Helps to have an assistant. 13-y-o swimmer sons work great! BTG has a savings code on his videos, too.

I understand not everyone wants to DIY, but I'm cheap & fastidious.

I can't say how ours would have held up without PPF, but we took a rock in the first week of ownership to the hood of the M3P, and the PPF saved the day. Glad we added it to the front ends (hood, bumper, front fenders) of both the M3P & MYLR right away, DIY. PPF through Drive Protected... just a satisfied customer. Videos tell you all that you need to know. Start with the hood. Bought a more complete kit for the MXP. Helps to have an assistant. 13-y-o swimmer sons work great! BTG has a savings code on his videos, too.

I understand not everyone wants to DIY, but I'm cheap & fastidious.
Just do this like I did on saturday until your your PPF appointment. I had a 450KM drive home.

IMG_2269.jpg

Then the next day my 6 year old shuffled across the hood playing in the garage. leaving evidence . goes for PPF tomorrow, scratches are "able to buff out"

On both our Model 3s, I got paint correction + full ceramic coating, but no PPF. One of them is now 4 years old, and one is 3 years old, and neither of them has any significant chips on the nose of the car. Obviously YMMV, but the bottom line is that these aren't exotics. The secondhand environment with exotics is completely different from the secondhand Tesla environment. People buying secondhand exotics will typically go over a potential purchase with a fine toothed comb, with a lot of attention paid to paint integrity, along with numerous other considerations. A few rock chips on the nose of your MX isn't going to materially impact resale value. Personally I'll never understand people that pay for full body PPF on a 3 or Y, but I can understand getting PPF on at least the nose of a MS/MX given the price point. I'm considering doing that myself, but may just go with paint correction and ceramic, as our cars spend a lot of time outside in the Texas sun and I don't want to have to worry about bird *sugar* sitting for a few days if I don't find time to clean it. Just my $0.02, and my opinion isn't right or wrong, just my opinion!