Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T-12 hours until delivery. I went in today after hours because I had to see if it was there and indeed it was. Walked right up to it, fully expecting misaligned panels. Nope, looked perfect. I was shocked.

Question for the group- I know there’s a lot of talk here about PPF. I’m torn. On one side, I know Tesla paint quality sucks, and we’re buying this as a road trip/family car so it’ll probably get exposed to rocks quite a bit on the road.

On the flip side, again, we’re buying this as a family road trip car and probably keeping it for a while. Does it really matter if it gets chipped here and there? How obvious are rock chips? Red exterior if it matters. $6-7k for a full PPF or $3k for half seems like a lot. That’s not even including ceramic or tint.

How have your previous Tesla exteriors held up without PPF?
I would not spend the $$$ rather have the chips repaired after a few years if they really bother you and save several thousand dollars. PPF seems like an overhyped waste of money given your car is already depreciating like a rock, some $7000 to $8,000 plastic on the hood isn't going to change that fact. I wouldn't pay any more $$$ for a used tesla with PPF than without. 9 months and several road trips without it on my MS Plaid and no chips to be found.

T-12 hours until delivery. I went in today after hours because I had to see if it was there and indeed it was. Walked right up to it, fully expecting misaligned panels. Nope, looked perfect. I was shocked.

Question for the group- I know there’s a lot of talk here about PPF. I’m torn. On one side, I know Tesla paint quality sucks, and we’re buying this as a road trip/family car so it’ll probably get exposed to rocks quite a bit on the road.

On the flip side, again, we’re buying this as a family road trip car and probably keeping it for a while. Does it really matter if it gets chipped here and there? How obvious are rock chips? Red exterior if it matters. $6-7k for a full PPF or $3k for half seems like a lot. That’s not even including ceramic or tint.

How have your previous Tesla exteriors held up without PPF?

Help me understand. Assuming after 5 years drive, there are small scratches here and there. How much would it take to repaint those area? up to $3k? Then why would it make sense to pay $6-7k upfront for a protection film?

Reactions: neo1738
Help me understand. Assuming after 5 years drive, there are small scratches here and there. How much would it take to repaint those area? up to $3k? Then why would it make sense to pay $6-7k upfront for a protection film?
If you sell 5 yo car, the dealer won’t care about small chips and scratches as long as there aren’t an excessive number of them that your car looks like having a small pox. So, you won’t even have to worry about fixing normal wear and tear like that. PPF is never meant to increase your car value. When I sold my MY with PPF on it, the dealer didn’t even care that I had one on my car. Some personal buyers might care. But no one will give you full value for your PPF. So, having PPF is really for you to enjoy a rock chip free car. If you care about the financial part of it, PPF will never make sense.

Reactions: jb401
Satin/matte PPF makes it more financially justified if that is the look you want, since you get protection and a total transformative look. I have satin PPF on my MYP and go through car washes without worrying, no damage I can see in 9 months. I did recently get hit on my hood with something that damaged the PPF but appears to not have damaged the paint. Ceramic on top of PPF makes it so easy to clean too.

It’s kinda crazy how different prices are in different markets too. For about $4500 I got two front windows tinted, full satin PPF, and ceramic on top. In Kansas City, after a 10% discount for being a Tesla KC club member. $4500 is a lot of money but it looks really good.

Just happened to check my account via my browser and my order was on hold (Dec 2022-April 2023 EDD before then), clicked I'm Ready and my EDD remained Dec-April, sadly. Interestingly, didn't receive an e-mail, so good thing I obsessively check my Tesla account. ;)
Email usually comes about 24 hours after the hold it seems. Something to look forward to as you wait for that EDD to change I guess. 🤷‍♂️

• Funny
Reactions: daftskunk
Got the hold today. May 6 2021
Order. Removed and back to Aug 18-Sep 29.
Just happened to check my account via my browser and my order was on hold (Dec 2022-April 2023 EDD before then), clicked I'm Ready and my EDD remained Dec-April, sadly. Interestingly, didn't receive an e-mail, so good thing I obsessively check my Tesla account. ;)
Me too. Just got hold 20 minutes ago and hit I’m ready right after I check that. No email yet but after that, back to 8/5-8/26.
3051C92A-613E-4F04-9793-BFDACCCE6BFA.jpeg

Reactions: daftskunk
Satin/matte PPF makes it more financially justified if that is the look you want, since you get protection and a total transformative look. I have satin PPF on my MYP and go through car washes without worrying, no damage I can see in 9 months. I did recently get hit on my hood with something that damaged the PPF but appears to not have damaged the paint. Ceramic on top of PPF makes it so easy to clean too.

It’s kinda crazy how different prices are in different markets too. For about $4500 I got two front windows tinted, full satin PPF, and ceramic on top. In Kansas City, after a 10% discount for being a Tesla KC club member. $4500 is a lot of money but it looks really good.
Yeah, fair point on the aesthetics and I agree in that scenario, the value proposition would go up for me!

Reactions: Jbapckfan
I also got the Hold Email

WTF?

Why automatically hold all of us? Is there some sort of major delay in supplies or something?

Previously had an EDD of July 31 to Aug 21, and after removing the hold the EDD is still the same. Odd, to say the least.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 32