Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you honestly want to delay your delivery just to get these headlights? I feel like everybody on this forum has built up the Matrix Headlights to be something incredible because we have nothing better to do 😅
I had matrix headlights on my refreshed 2022 MSLR and don’t have them on my refreshed 2022 MXLR. Honestly, driving down the road at night I’m not seeing any difference, so I’m not sure what the big deal is. Can anyone explain?

I had matrix headlights on my refreshed 2022 MSLR and don’t have them on my refreshed 2022 MXLR. Honestly, driving down the road at night I’m not seeing any difference, so I’m not sure what the big deal is. Can anyone explain?
When (if) Tesla decides to activate Matrix lights it'll allow us to block off the driver's side better, thus reducing glare to oncoming traffic. It also focuses the beam better.

The real benefit of matrix headlights is not having to sacrifice the visibility/illumination of high beams when a car is approaching you from the opposite direction and/or you're behind another vehicle (attached image demonstrates both scenarios). A good parallel is OLED TVs - they can produce such deep blacks because OLEDs have the ability to turn individual pixels on and off, and this is similar to how matrix headlights work.

However, I think the hype around matrix headlights has grown to the point where people think they're life changing technology, when in reality they're very cool and a definite step forward. But I wouldn't delay a delivery in hopes of getting them (just my $0.02, of course).

Edit: To add, you may not notice a difference because until earlier this year, they weren't legal in the US and presumably Tesla will have to ship the software update necessary to use the matrix headlight hardware so unless they've done that, they're (I assume) still just functioning like traditional LED headlights.

1659112348338.png

Last edited:
Just noticed if I switch to having a trade-in the accelerated delivery option appears. As soon as I say no trade-in it goes away.
I've had the option for a couple of weeks now. I do have a trade-in and I sent Tesla all my info. Seems like each week, there's a different MXP available. I want to say these are rejected VINs (Purely speculation) .

Reactions: RC51 Tofuman
Progressive insurance come in the lowest.

$978 for 6 months.

250k/500k liability with 500 ded on comp 50 on glass and 1000 on collision.

We currently have geico and they are quoting $1700/ 6 months.
did a quote also with statefarm and they coming back $2k over / 6 months
Thanks very helpful! Did you get the older rate they quoted you in your purchase agreement or did Tesla’s financing bank up the rate?