Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here you go! Looks pretty good with one spot on the front left fender that's been circled. I took a close up of the spot.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpeg
    IMG_0013.jpeg
    838.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0012.jpeg
    IMG_0012.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    589.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    547.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    531.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0006.jpeg
    IMG_0006.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    935.2 KB · Views: 108
LR 6-seater Review

Hi All,

I picked up my 352xxx VIN (July build) 6-seater LR X last week. Wanted to put some miles on it before I shared my review here. Delivered with 10 mi on the ODO. Currently in the mid 300's.
1659397017446.png

The good:
  • So glad I went with 6 seats. The reason is that the 3rd row seats get a lot of leg room and external forward visibility, but not a lot of lateral visibility. I've never sat in a 7 seater, but I can only imagine it being claustrophobic. In a 6 seat config though it's fine.
  • Similarly happy I stuck with the stock rims. They look phenomenal and are already quite large... but the ride is still quite stiff compared to what I was expecting. The 22's can only be stiffer than this.
  • I got 2 fobs! I did not ask questions. They had some minor wear on them so I think they might have been thrown-in (from demo cars?) by my delivery center as a courtesy. No complaints.
  • Drives amazing. Steering is confident. Plenty of power. So fast, even in chill mode. Sport and Insane are downright scary. Chill works best with the kids in the car, so that's what I use most. It has plenty of reserve at the top end to throw everyone's head back on the on-ramp.
  • The audio is the best car I've ever been in. Even high-end aftermarket setups.
  • The HVAC system is great. Car cools down faster than any other car I've owned. Pre-cooling is incredibly nice. Ventilated seats are phenomenal.
  • On the freeway full of cars and trucks with visible exhaust, we never once could smell anything despite always taking in outside air. I don't think this gets talked about enough. Never had a car that can do this (I almost am always reaching for the "recirculate" button).
  • Love the windshield. The fact it spans over your head in the X is something I think has already spoiled me.
  • FWD are amazing for loading/unloading kiddos. They work surprisingly well in our VERY tight garage w/ a very low ceiling. Can't open entirely, but can open more than enough for adults to get in and out, let alone kids.
  • A large can-looking thing flew out of an uncovered waste truck and bounced off the top of our car. I've looked very hard and I can't seem to find any sort of damage whatsoever, so I think that top glass is quite resilient to impacts (which you'd hope).
  • Love love love the little things like the auto-tilting rear view mirrors when we go in reverse. Makes street parking so much easier.
  • Multiple Spotify profiles is amazing (we share this car).
  • Stop and go traffic is great. Autopilot is amazing for this too.
  • The OTA updates are great. Already seeing improvements after 2 updates. And the ability to move the blindspot camera view is coming soon too.
  • Seats are very comfortable. Wife fell asleep without any effort on our brief road trip.
  • Tilting screen is really quite good. I always have it tilted towards me. It makes reaching the far side a lot easier.
  • Headlights are great, despite being non-matrix. Better than any car I've owned at least. I tried to capture a picture (low-beams):
    1659404727958.png

The bad:
  • The paint is just not good. Still noticeably better than one I rejected, but quite bad for a car in this price point. At least a handful of tiny imperfections that I've found that I've literally never seen on any new car (even priced as low as ~$20k). Rear bumper looks slightly different color, depending on the light (plenty of folks here have the same problem in white... some hadn't noticed it until I pointed it out in their own photo, so take my opinion with a grain of salt). And to top it all off, we already have a paint chip in the front bumper from a 200 mi trip. Didn't even hear anything hit the car. Already scheduling PPF install. I thought that was snake oil before this, but what folks say about Tesla paint is absolutely true in my experience.
  • The FWD make some popping noises sometimes. I think it's the interior trim panels. I've listed it in my upcoming service. Otherwise work fine.
  • At least a handful of little exterior panel fitment issues. Not so much gap asymmetry but just misalignments, especially with the FWDs. Nothing that you notice at first glance, but plenty I found in 1 week. Will see what they can do for them.
  • I have the FSD package, and the non-beta autopilot at speed is... meh. It does weird stuff like hug the outside of a lane expansion. I very much use it like a very advanced cruise control and nothing more. The FSD beta supposedly solves this, but I'm not ready for this yet.
  • The MCU software is fluid and responsive, but can be buggy. Had one lockup so far. Spotify profiles don't always switch despite the Tesla profile changing.
  • The automatically opening driver-side door scares the *sugar* out of me when I'm in a parking lot, especially when unloading kids. Having it fly open unexpectedly as parents are whipping in and out of the parking lot is not great. I turned that off pretty quickly.
  • The 3rd row seats have some exposed cabling (for heating I presume) that's very poorly wrapped and partially exposed into the lower trunk. It's on my service list, but I unfortunately think it might be normal. Anyone else have this?
  • The attention this car gets is just off the charts (especially when the FWD open). Not exactly something I enjoy about it. About on-par with a Lamborghini or something.
  • The AC is good but it's quite loud. If you precondition though this is largely a non-issue.
The Yoke (deserves its own section):
  • I was on team anti-yoke without having tried it. But in reality, it's not bad. Yes, a round wheel is arguably still better for many reasons, but this is honestly fine.
  • It's shockingly wide. Something I wasn't expecting.
  • Going straight on the highway, it's fantastic. Tons of control. Comfortable.
  • Grocery store parking lot maneuvering is absolutely harder than a round wheel. But not nearly as difficult as I thought it would. After a week it now is almost natural. Your brain just has to re-learn where to expect the wheel grips to be, and it's really more than just the two ends- the bottom is entirely serviceable too.
  • The capacitive buttons are so much better than I was expecting. They really are fine. I never graze the horn. Maybe the updates have tuned the debounce and haptics to a sweet spot that wasn't there at launch, but I'm surprisingly happy with them. Only issue I have is with roundabouts... haven't quite trained myself to hit the correct blinker when twisted over yet.
  • My wife actually prefers it over a round wheel, as she's small and now can see the entire dash with no effort. She had a much easier time adjusting it without compromise to a position that's comfortable for her. Something to consider.

In summary:

Amazing car. The way it drives is better than anything remotely close to this size that I've tried. LR has an incredible amount of power to the point where Plaid makes no sense to me in a car this large (let's face it, it's a minivan). Software isn't perfect, but way better than any other car brand and more than good enough to not want to mount my phone (quite an accomplishment). Audio is great. Just overall design of the car really does feel like it's from the future.

The paint job and body fitment issues are definitely where the car falls short for me, especially given the price. So if you truly care about that kind of thing, I'd consider looking into something else (and I haven't seen one that doesn't have at least a few of these). It's nothing egregious, and the car is stunning at a distance, but the little things add up when you're walking around, closely inspecting the car. That said, I still want to give Tesla Service a shot at correcting (hopefully) most of these issues at my upcoming appointment (perhaps I'll follow-up). We'll see.

In the end, my entire family simply loves this car- the kids and wife especially. It's comfortable, drives so smooth and quiet but with tons of power, and just a lot of fun. We feel very fortunate to have one, and hope to get many, many miles out if it as our kids grow.

Last edited:
I'm confused about the phone as a key for the X. You can't just walk up and press the door button to open, step in, and step on brake to close the door without taking anything out? You have to actively interact with the phone to do this?

On my 3, I just walk up, open the door, get in, close the door, press brake, drive away. No interacting with the phone to do any of that.

Here you go! Looks pretty good with one spot on the front left fender that's been circled. I took a close up of the spot.
You rock!

Just how in tarnation does a fender get paint rubbed down like that?!?! Eye eye eye! Well that's disappointing and dunno if I should bring it up with my SA tomorrow or just be mum on the subject and keep my cards close to my chest. Bleh.

+1 for All Seasons though. I wasn't looking forward to changing out tires here this winter if they had given me summer tires.
+1 for FWD alignments, they look decent enough from what I'm seeing.
Odd seeing the "ok" written on the tail lights, I'm assuming that's an easily removable factory inspectrion mark.
Also looks like maybe a scuff on the lower left of the bumper insert.
Looks like it might have a touch of the yoke worm :\
Hopefully that's just dirty water on the rim only pic instead of a scuff

The world is such a smaller place now with the internet.

Thank you!

I'm gonna go breath into a paper bag now.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: 1pinhigh
Spent time on the phone with Tesla. They could be lying through their teeth but the person helping me said that they finally have the X line moving in the right direction. The cars are being produced at a decent clip and he said my car is slotted for delivery in the next six weeks. My EDD is 08/28 to 10/02. Not sure if he is pulling my leg or trying to get me off the phone. He said the EDD’s are a lot more reliable now. I asked him why my order hasn’t been put on hold like others and he said it’s because I’m within the window…. Not sure I believe this but sharing fwiw.

OOD 10/21 Red/ 7 / cream / 22/ MXLR / FSD
That’s my config as well, ordered 5/21 and got the hold a couple weeks ago. Current EDD is Aug 16-Sept 6. You are giving me some hope.

I'm confused about the phone as a key for the X. You can't just walk up and press the door button to open, step in, and step on brake to close the door without taking anything out? You have to actively interact with the phone to do this?

On my 3, I just walk up, open the door, get in, close the door, press brake, drive away. No interacting with the phone to do any of that.
I have an 18 so I don't have the phone key whatever yet. My door opens automatically when I walk up. Even if the phone key can do this, that would mean literally everytime either me or my wife walk near the car it would open. Go to grab some pop from the garage... Car door opens. I go to get in her car... Car door opens. Go to take the garbage cans out....yup. The point is, if I have my fob then that means I'm going to my car and I want it to open the door. Just because I have my phone with me does not.

As others have pointed out. If I am out with my family I use the fob to open the rear doors 100% of the time. Stick the hand in the pocket, hit 2 buttons, and then the kids can go climb in. Could the 4 of us walk up then walk around the car hitting handles, sure. Could I stop, put down what I'm carrying, pull out my phone (while managing a 2 year old), unlock the phone, open the Tesla app and open the doors from it...I guess?

Or after we all get home? As I'm walking up the steps to the house I (again carrying 5 things cause... You know... Kids) stick 1 hand in the pocket and hit a button and all 4 doors and trunk close.

You don't need to interact with it. Just need it in your pocket.

• Headlights are great, despite being non-matrix. Better than any car I've owned at least. I tried to capture a picture (low-beams):
    1659404727958-png.835542
Man, that night shot is pretty spectacular! That looks even clearer and brighter than our '17 Accord Hybrid LED headlights.

I wonder all those that poo poo'd the X lights what they were comparing against. Then again subjective things and the internet can be fickle.

Reactions: mix261
LR 6-seater Review

Hi All,

I picked up my 352xxx VIN (July build) 6-seater LR X last week. Wanted to put some miles on it before I shared my review here. Delivered with 10 mi on the ODO. Currently in the mid 300's.
View attachment 835508

The good:
  • So glad I went with 6 seats. The reason is that the 3rd row seats get a lot of leg room and external forward visibility, but not a lot of lateral visibility. I've never sat in a 7 seater, but I can only imagine it being claustrophobic. In a 6 seat config though it's fine.
  • Similarly happy I stuck with the stock rims. They look phenomenal and are already quite large... but the ride is still quite stiff compared to what I was expecting. The 22's can only be stiffer than this.
  • I got 2 fobs! I did not ask questions. They had some minor wear on them so I think they might have been thrown-in (from demo cars?) by my delivery center as a courtesy. No complaints.
  • Drives amazing. Steering is confident. Plenty of power. So fast, even in chill mode. Sport and Insane are downright scary. Chill works best with the kids in the car, so that's what I use most. It has plenty of reserve at the top end to throw everyone's head back on the on-ramp.
  • The audio is the best car I've ever been in. Even high-end aftermarket setups.
  • The HVAC system is great. Car cools down faster than any other car I've owned. Pre-cooling is incredibly nice. Ventilated seats are phenomenal.
  • On the freeway full of cars and trucks with visible exhaust, we never once could smell anything despite always taking in outside air. I don't think this gets talked about enough. Never had a car that can do this (I almost am always reaching for the "recirculate" button).
  • Love the windshield. The fact it spans over your head in the X is something I think has already spoiled me.
  • FWD are amazing for loading/unloading kiddos. They work surprisingly well in our VERY tight garage w/ a very low ceiling. Can't open entirely, but can open more than enough for adults to get in and out, let alone kids.
  • A large can-looking thing flew out of an uncovered waste truck and bounced off the top of our car. I've looked very hard and I can't seem to find any sort of damage whatsoever, so I think that top glass is quite resilient to impacts (which you'd hope).
  • Love love love the little things like the auto-tilting rear view mirrors when we go in reverse. Makes street parking so much easier.
  • Multiple Spotify profiles is amazing (we share this car).
  • Stop and go traffic is great. Autopilot is amazing for this too.
  • The OTA updates are great. Already seeing improvements after 2 updates. And the ability to move the blindspot camera view is coming soon too.
  • Seats are very comfortable. Wife fell asleep without any effort on our brief road trip.
  • Tilting screen is really quite good. I always have it tilted towards me. It makes reaching the far side a lot easier.
    View attachment 835542

The bad:
  • The paint is just not good. Still noticeably better than one I rejected, but quite bad for a car in this price point. At least a handful of tiny imperfections that I've found that I've literally never seen on any new car (even priced as low as ~$20k). Rear bumper looks slightly different color, depending on the light (plenty of folks here have the same problem in white... some hadn't noticed it until I pointed it out in their own photo, so take my opinion with a grain of salt). And to top it all off, we already have a paint chip in the front bumper from a 200 mi trip. Didn't even hear anything hit the car. Already scheduling PPF install. I thought that was snake oil before this, but what folks say about Tesla paint is absolutely true in my experience.
  • The FWD make some popping noises sometimes. I think it's the interior trim panels. I've listed it in my upcoming service. Otherwise work fine.
  • At least a handful of little exterior panel fitment issues. Not so much gap asymmetry but just misalignments, especially with the FWDs. Nothing that you notice at first glance, but plenty I found in 1 week. Will see what they can do for them.
  • I have the FSD package, and the non-beta autopilot at speed is... meh. It does weird stuff like hug the outside of a lane expansion. I very much use it like a very advanced cruise control and nothing more. The FSD beta supposedly solves this, but I'm not ready for this yet.
  • The MCU software is fluid and responsive, but can be buggy. Had one lockup so far. Spotify profiles don't always switch despite the Tesla profile changing.
  • The automatically opening driver-side door scares the *sugar* out of me when I'm in a parking lot, especially when unloading kids. Having it fly open unexpectedly as parents are whipping in and out of the parking lot is not great. I turned that off pretty quickly.
  • The 3rd row seats have some exposed cabling (for heating I presume) that's very poorly wrapped and partially exposed into the lower trunk. It's on my service list, but I unfortunately think it might be normal. Anyone else have this?
  • The attention this car gets is just off the charts (especially when the FWD open). Not exactly something I enjoy about it. About on-par with a Lamborghini or something.
  • The AC is good but it's quite loud. If you precondition though this is largely a non-issue.
The Yoke (deserves its own section):
  • I was on team anti-yoke without having tried it. But in reality, it's not bad. Yes, a round wheel is arguably still better for many reasons, but this is honestly fine.
  • It's shockingly wide. Something I wasn't expecting.
  • Going straight on the highway, it's fantastic. Tons of control. Comfortable.
  • Grocery store parking lot maneuvering is absolutely harder than a round wheel. But not nearly as difficult as I thought it would. After a week it now is almost natural. Your brain just has to re-learn where to expect the wheel grips to be, and it's really more than just the two ends- the bottom is entirely serviceable too.
  • The capacitive buttons are so much better than I was expecting. They really are fine. I never graze the horn. Maybe the updates have tuned the debounce and haptics to a sweet spot that wasn't there at launch, but I'm surprisingly happy with them. Only issue I have is with roundabouts... haven't quite trained myself to hit the correct blinker when twisted over yet.
  • My wife actually prefers it over a round wheel, as she's small and now can see the entire dash with no effort. She had a much easier time adjusting it without compromise to a position that's comfortable for her. Something to consider.

In summary:

Amazing car. The way it drives is better than anything remotely close to this size that I've tried. LR has an incredible amount of power to the point where Plaid makes no sense to me in a car this large (let's face it, it's a minivan). Software isn't perfect, but way better than any other car brand and more than good enough to not want to mount my phone (quite an accomplishment). Audio is great. Just overall design of the car really does feel like it's from the future.

The paint job and body fitment issues are definitely where the car falls short for me, especially given the price. So if you truly care about that kind of thing, I'd consider looking into something else (and I haven't seen one that doesn't have at least a few of these). It's nothing egregious, and the car is stunning at a distance, but the little things add up when you're walking around, closely inspecting the car. That said, I still want to give Tesla Service a shot at correcting (hopefully) most of these issues at my upcoming appointment (perhaps I'll follow-up). We'll see.

In the end, my entire family simply loves this car- the kids and wife especially. It's comfortable, drives so smooth and quiet but with tons of power, and just a lot of fun. We feel very fortunate to have one, and hope to get many, many miles out if it as our kids grow.
@mix261 Loved reading the nicely written review. Thank you for taking time to write it up and share the good and bad. Looking forward to our ride :)

• Love
Reactions: mix261 and Elixir
I have an 18 so I don't have the phone key whatever yet. My door opens automatically when I walk up. Even if the phone key can do this, that would mean literally everytime either me or my wife walk near the car it would open. Go to grab some pop from the garage... Car door opens. I go to get in her car... Car door opens. Go to take the garbage cans out....yup. The point is, if I have my fob then that means I'm going to my car and I want it to open the door. Just because I have my phone with me does not.

As others have pointed out. If I am out with my family I use the fob to open the rear doors 100% of the time. Stick the hand in the pocket, hit 2 buttons, and then the kids can go climb in. Could the 4 of us walk up then walk around the car hitting handles, sure. Could I stop, put down what I'm carrying, pull out my phone (while managing a 2 year old), unlock the phone, open the Tesla app and open the doors from it...I guess?

Or after we all get home? As I'm walking up the steps to the house I (again carrying 5 things cause... You know... Kids) stick 1 hand in the pocket and hit a button and all 4 doors and trunk close.
I had a 17 Model X and used fob just like you do, most of the time from within the pocket. You nailed my usability points of phone vs fob. Thank you

You rock!

Just how in tarnation does a fender get paint rubbed down like that?!?! Eye eye eye! Well that's disappointing and dunno if I should bring it up with my SA tomorrow or just be mum on the subject and keep my cards close to my chest. Bleh.

+1 for All Seasons though. I wasn't looking forward to changing out tires here this winter if they had given me summer tires.
+1 for FWD alignments, they look decent enough from what I'm seeing.
Odd seeing the "ok" written on the tail lights, I'm assuming that's an easily removable factory inspectrion mark.
Also looks like maybe a scuff on the lower left of the bumper insert.
Looks like it might have a touch of the yoke worm :\
Hopefully that's just dirty water on the rim only pic instead of a scuff

The world is such a smaller place now with the internet.

Thank you!

I'm gonna go breath into a paper bag now.
Glad to help out. Hope you enjoy the experience and are thrilled with it. Funny thing is that there were two blue MXP's in the lot. Your's had the later VIN, by quite a bit. They have a bunch of clean up to do to get ready for you!

Mine came with the 2 key fobs, charging adapter, tow hitch, floor mats

Forgive my ignorance, how can I tell if they are matrix headlights?
Doesn’t look like matrix.

I know everyone is under the impression matrix lights (or something similar to the current model S) is coming out for the model X, but I don’t think so. They have already upgraded the front headlights they work much better on the 2022’s and the rear taillights have already received the new charging port. Unlike other manufacturers Tesla is unpredictable and it is possible they release two different sets of headlights in a year. I doubt it however.

Anyone else get the "Action Required: Confirm Your Model X Order" email? Just received. Not quite ready to take delivery, was hoping for the recently updated November date. Do we know if clicking confirm on that email locks in the order and counts as the one hold? Or is Tesla just weeding out those of us who have been waiting 6+ months on our orders...

Reactions: 1pinhigh
Doesn’t look like matrix.

I know everyone is under the impression matrix lights (or something similar to the current model S) is coming out for the model X, but I don’t think so. They have already upgraded the front headlights they work much better on the 2022’s and the rear taillights have already received the new charging port. Unlike other manufacturers Tesla is unpredictable and it is possible they release two different sets of headlights in a year. I doubt it however.
Why would every other model in the line-up get matrix LEDs then?

If my X does indeed arrive next year I’ll probably just give up the reservation and wait for my CT
I’ll say unless your CT reservation is in the first few thousands and your config happens to be the one Tesla produces first, your chance of getting your CT next year is slim to none. Before you know it, you’ll be a member of the next mega thread forum, “CT waiting room” and complaining about the same thing all over again.

I truly believe that Tesla finally figured out Model X production judging from the quality of recent deliveries. It’s just they can’t over produce Model X because it’s a relatively low demand compared to their other models. Be patient. I think our cars are coming sooner or later (hopefully sooner).

Anyone else get the "Action Required: Confirm Your Model X Order" email? Just received. Not quite ready to take delivery, was hoping for the recently updated November date. Do we know if clicking confirm on that email locks in the order and counts as the one hold? Or is Tesla just weeding out those of us who have been waiting 6+ months on our orders...
Is this the "Hold" email? Yeah, everyone is getting it, and it sounds like it counts as your one hold, and you have to "unhold" it within 10 days or your order gets cancelled.